Gen V Initial RU

Status
Not open for further replies.

JockeMS

formerly SuperJOCKE
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Well, I can say that Cresselia worked great in Gen 4 OU for me. Now, I don't know, might play RU to see what the fuss is all about.

yup that is all true. And that 'almost nothing' statement is because of ghosts, but that is easily predicted (come on, even a new guy can predict a ghost coming in on HJK)

Cresselia and Yanmega need to go and fast. Notice how they cover each others weaknesses for the most part?

If you want to use an Evolite fighting type, use Gurdurr. Bulky as hell and can be used just like its big brother.

We have Sandslash and Kabutops for viable spinners. Neither are weak to Bug (Kabutops resists it) and are quite the tanks.

Cresselia and Yanmega need to go and fast. Notice how they cover each others weaknesses for the most part?

<snip>

We have Sandslash and Kabutops for viable spinners. Neither are weak to Bug (Kabutops resists it) and are quite the tanks.
Potential suspects synergy with each other is a very shaky argument to say the least. It could not only imply that only one of them is broken and the other one just "fits in" with it, but it can also imply that neither are in fact broken and that they are a really good combo together (as two Pokemon may be).

In this case I'm not sure I'm understanding how they cover each other's weaknesses, they seem to only share resistances. Cresselia is weak to Dark and Bug, Yanmega resists only bug (but it can't switch into another Yanmega). Yanmega is weak to Rock, Fire, Electric, Ice, Flying (etc) and Cresselia does not resist any of them at all.

Also, just to nitpick, Kabutops does not resist bug. Neither Rock nor Water resists Bug.

Lemonade

WOOPAGGING
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
You know, I might really enjoys this meta since Trick Room looks actually viable. Does anyone have experience with it? I mean, there isn't much to tank a Rampardos Head Smash followed by Thick Club Marowak and Zwelious Outrage. The only problem: what the hell is going to set up TR that won't die to Yanmega? (Klingklang go!)

You know, I might really enjoys this meta since Trick Room looks actually viable. Does anyone have experience with it? I mean, there isn't much to tank a Rampardos Head Smash followed by Thick Club Marowak and Zwelious Outrage. The only problem: what the hell is going to set up TR that won't die to Yanmega? (Klingklang go!)
Klingklang used Gear Shift!

Other options? Dusknoir and Cofagrigus anyone?

jas61292

used substitute
is a Community Contributoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Can someone please clarify which pokemon have moved out and into the tier?
Nothing has moved into or out of the tier yet, as no official usage stats have come out for a long time. Most of what has been talked about are just assumptions based on previous usage stat trends.

Klingklang used Gear Shift!
Speaking of Klinklang, has anyone else tried it out yet? It may not be the best thing ever, but it is a legit contender in RU. Its main problem is lack of coverage, specifically on Steel types, but if you can remove Steels, it can be a force. Getting 492 Atk and 558 Spe after just one turn of set up is amazing.

Nothing has moved into or out of the tier yet, as no official usage stats have come out for a long time. Most of what has been talked about are just assumptions based on previous usage stat trends.

Speaking of Klinklang, has anyone else tried it out yet? It may not be the best thing ever, but it is a legit contender in RU. Its main problem is lack of coverage, specifically on Steel types, but if you can remove Steels, it can be a force. Getting 492 Atk and 558 Spe after just one turn of set up is amazing.
I hate your klinklang >:(

On topic: I believe venomoth will be the only guy I expect to move to UU. Other than that I'll wait and see.

Also I have found a lack of RU Sp. Sweepers. Mega, Z, and Alakazam are the only ones i've seen besides Moth which as i said above i believe will be UU without a doubt.

I have used Klinklang a bit, though I'm using a bulky set whose Substitute always survives a Scald out of Blastoise. He hardly needs the speed investment anyway, since with a decent 90 base he's going to outspeed everything without a scarf at +2. Hes actually really bulky, too, so it's not hard at all to get two boosts and then you're up in the 600 range outspeeding basically everything. It is a great counter to both Speed Boost Yanmega and Cresselia.

I agree though, if you remove anything with Roar, Whirlwind, and STAB Earthquake, it's a great late-game sweeper.

Ok so I've started playing RU yesterday and I gotta say it's a lot of fun! It's great to use Pokes such as Cresselia, Yanmega, and Golurk (amazing wallbreaker). Plus I like battling rain dance teams, it reminds me of DPP OU and UU.

Now to what's broken: Cresselia and Honckrow. The former is just amazingly bulky and its Sub + CM set is simply amazing, destroying everything once Munchlax is gone (or Cress is the last mon). The latter can usually net 2 KOs per game and it's really difficult to wall because of its sheer power.

I haven't had any trouble against Yanmega because I always find Stealth Rock weakening it is enough to put it in KO range. I'm also using it on my team and I have to say it's usually one of the worst mons on my team.

Without SR, you can still take it out (ranked at ~100 currently without hazards), trust me. Tbh, I don't face tons of problems with Yanmega, but I still think it should be banned (and, hopefully, will be within a month).

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Ok so I've started playing RU yesterday and I gotta say it's a lot of fun! It's great to use Pokes such as Cresselia, Yanmega, and Golurk (amazing wallbreaker). Plus I like battling rain dance teams, it reminds me of DPP OU and UU.

Now to what's broken: Cresselia and Honckrow. The former is just amazingly bulky and its Sub + CM set is simply amazing, destroying everything once Munchlax is gone (or Cress is the last mon). The latter can usually net 2 KOs per game and it's really difficult to wall because of its sheer power.

I haven't had any trouble against Yanmega because I always find Stealth Rock weakening it is enough to put it in KO range. I'm also using it on my team and I have to say it's usually one of the worst mons on my team.
If you are having trouble with honch USE STEELIX OR RHYPERIOR steelix walls non mixed sets and rhyperior just walls it. as long as they are ru i dont see it going.

If you are having trouble with honch USE STEELIX OR RHYPERIOR steelix walls non mixed sets and rhyperior just walls it. as long as they are ru i dont see it going.
I'm not having many problems with it because I can often lure the Superpower on my bulky Kabutops and KO it back. But I think it can overcome many of RU's current walls and is too powerful. Rhyperior will probably leave RU iirc and Steelix isn't that good imo with all the rain, hail, and special attackers around.

Texas Cloverleaf

This user has a custom title
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Using Steelix also leaves yu vulnerable to vetting smashed by a Choice Scarfed Medicham ^_^
Gotta say, the Subpunch Golurk set is completely awesome, breaks so many things and usually claens up pretty well midgame. As well, Ferroseed and Gastrodon provide a pretty solid defensive core, taking most attacks between them while also stopping rain quite well.
Honchkrow is the boss it's always been, I prefer the mixed set although recently I've run pursuit over Heat Wave which has just been brilliant for me. Medicham is awesome with HJK/Drain Punch/Ice Punch/Zen Headbutt to ensure you dont get smacked by ghosts or protect users.
Finally, Cryogonal is a pretty solid special wall and spinner, and also serves as a makeshift check to Cresselia barring good prediction. With Cryogonal's surprising speed it can smack away until Cress' sub breaks and then hit it with toxic, easily stallingthe rest of the turns out.

These be my thoughts on some poke on in the meta so far.

Use Choice Band Reckless Hitmonlee. Spam Hi Jump Kick. Watch everything die. It's seriously fucking awesome. I'm currently running a spam Fighting-type Pokemon team with an Absol for Pursuit support. It's awesome.

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Use Choice Band Reckless Hitmonlee. Spam Hi Jump Kick. Watch everything die. It's seriously fucking awesome. I'm currently running a spam Fighting-type Pokemon team with an Absol for Pursuit support. It's awesome.

ghost type says hi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)