Gen III Battle Frontier Discussion and Records

Let me be clear; I do think a team like this can get 200. 200 is a lot - for a large part of emerald's history that would have been a top streak - but with the correct play and scouting into every set its possible. Previous teams in that ballpark do directly discuss exactly these kinds of issues though.
I did not doubt it initially but if the plan is to throw moltres against these threats then i doubt it more to be completely honest. There are certain threats where the correct course of action is to just risk Latios in order to reduce the chance of the AI using a move like Swords Dance. This is why I question "I've rarely had any scares using this team" but not "i got 200".
The thing about OHKO (and I would emphasise that anyone who has played a stall set knows this) is that the AI is not 100% to spam these moves. A first glance would say "ok, OHKO move has 5pp and moltres has pressure. I can protect, sub, protect. That gives it only 1 chance to hit moltres (on the sub turn with QC). that's only 6%, i'm favored".

The problem is that in reality, OHKO moves just sit at a +0 score in the enemy AI. That's the same score (and probability weighting) as a regular status move or as a regular attack. So the move selection protect, sub, protect has a chance of wasting 0 OHKO PP, and instead just delaying OHKO into a future unknown turn. You can generalise this kind of decision mapping into a markov process, but you're going to end up with a baseline rate that using protect on an ohko turn is ~50%. That means sometimes you'll get 3/3 protect on the ohko attempt, and sometimes you'll get 0/3. Sometimes the sub may already be up also, great. but the fact is that you can't rely on the AI behaving this way. In a single, isolated 1v1 its acceptable. In a long streak where you will inevitably have these ohko sets appear multiple times, its not. It's ok to say "OHKO sets are a problem" but this is the opposite of what you're claiming.

The other problem is that dodging a QC OHKO isn't gg. Getting hit by a QC move like Rock Slide or Surf (these appear annoyingly often alongside OHKO) is almost as bad. A QC SE move is going to deal ~60% to moltres, that's instantly going to put you into a HP range where morning sun is forced or if it happens on turn ~7+ that moltres is in, it could outright just KO it. Again, subtect spam on moltres takes you from 16/16 -> 13/16 -> 14/16 -> 11/16 -> 12/16 -> etc... on conseuctive turns. You'll only have a 75%+ HP moltres for the first 6 or so turns. That's fine if the only move you are stalling is 10pp rock slide. It's not fine if the move is 15pp surf/ tbolt and its definitely not fine if the enemy set has 2 moves that deal "too much" damage to moltres. You can use Gliscor like this, but you can't do the same with aerodactyl, moltres or suicune reliably in gen3.

There's also the fact that even something kind of basic like Lapras-7 is going to absolutely demand an OHKO dodge on the regi/moltres switch before sub-stalling PP can happen. And no, you can't safely sub scout with Latios either because there is also a QC OHKO set and various 4-attack spam sets

There's no way to argue your way out of the fact that OHKO spam is a massive problem until a team runs at least Gengar and preferably a pokemon with Sturdy. This isn't an issue, but you claiming that you are safe from OHKO or that its only a 6% risk is wildly wrong. The actual risk is at least 5 times greater than that
Lets examine Latios-2 in detail against moltres so I can underline for other readers what actually happens here. This is centrally important so I'll leave out the spoiler tags.
We'll assume Latios-2 has 9/10 ice beam (-1 from regi switch), 7/10 EQ (1 used against registeel, 2 from switch into pressure), 15/15 tbolt and 10/10 psychic

turn 1: protect.... 16/16 HP moltres (I will express the HP in fractions of 16, aware that "0/16" is still 1hp as this is the remainder). Thats 13/15 tbolt PP at the end of the turn.
turn 2: sub... 13/16 HP moltres at the end of turn. Note: there is a 20% QC proc here. If QC activates, you have a sub-25% moltres at best and moltres will lose the 1v1. Otherwise, that's 11/15 tbolt pp.
3: protect ... 14/16 ... 9/15 tbolt
4: sub ............ 11/16 ...7/15 tbolt. Once again, a 20% QC activation is gg. (2 QC)
5: protect ... 12/16 ... 5/15 tbolt
6: sub .............. 9/16 ...3/15 tbolt. 20% QC activation is a dead moltres. (3 QC)
7: protect ... 10/16 ...1/15 tbolt.
8: sub ............ 7/16 ...0/15 tbolt. The final Tbolt gets 1 final chance to kill moltres with a QC (4 QC attempts total)
9: protect ... 8/16 ...8/10 psychic
10: sub ......... 5/16 ...6/10 psychic. If QC psychic procs here then it's a roll to kill. even if it doesnt kill, Moltres has no chance but to start spamming morning sun on crit and spdef drop psychic that deals around 50% at base anyway
11: protect ...6/16 ...4/10 psychic
12: sub........... 3/16 ...2/10 psychic. QC on this turn is GG once more.
13: protect ...4/16 ...0/10 psychic. Latios-2 is now out of tbolt and psychic PP but it's not over
14: morning sun to heal to 12/16 from 4/16. QC Ice beam here is GG. That's the 7th potential QC that can ruin moltres. even without QC, frz is gg
15: assume no QC at all. Moltres will be around 46% after non-crit ice beam on turn 14. Morning sun is forced again to avoid a loss to QC on turn 16. QC crit is gg, frz is gg.
16: if moltres reaches this point it should be at ~65% and "safe" to start subtecting

You need 0/7 Quick claw (that's a 20% chance. Not 20% for quick claw, but 20% for you to dodge QC on every sub turn). You can maybe cope that 0/5 is enough for a latios setup, but thats still favoring the opponent.
You also need no ice beam FRZ and no ice beam crit on the first few morning sun turns in order to avoid losing to QC on the next turn or avoid outright fainting to crit ice beam since it can deal ~75%
Moltres is ~15% to win this 1v1 and stall Latios-2 successfully. You say you've done this 3/3 times, but thats a ~0.5% occurence. Not impossible, but very lucky and a shocking amount of risk to take compared to just trying to win the 1v1 with latios or registeel directly and not risk stalling.

You might say "oh but that's fine I got lucky". But there's a second kicker: people who have done pressure-PP stalling in gen 3 know that there is a flaw with the enemy AI which means that after it runs out of its highest damaging move (here tbolt), it no longer functions to select psychic with perfect reliability. In reality, after turn 8 you're looking at 50% ice beam and 50% psychic as both moves get a -1 AI score. I cannot (honestly in all good faith at all) believe you haven't noticed this after 200 battles.
Regardless, this is a "problem" because ice beam also breaks the moltres sub and it means psychic PP is very likely still intact 13 turns in. You could try to morning sun on a guessed ice beam, but this is a potential disaster against psychic and its 10% spdef drop or 6% crit, and that's again ignoring 20% QC.
If you'd said that you need to alternate the morning sun in earlier because of this unreliability from the AI then I'd probably agree, but I'm not sure why you need me to tell you that this is necessary when i'm the one who has never played the matchup. For you to 3/3 into QC 3-spatk latios in this matchup is a massive claim. This is the kind of thing that happens once and you either lose or you realise the massive loss % and dont do it again and talk about it in the writeup as an obvious threat.
The one point in your favor with this strategy is you can argue that once "enough" PP is used up, latios-registeel could switch stall latios-2 which can lead to a fully setup Latios if successful. There is a very real danger of Registeel getting too low through this though (stalling 7 EQ pp to stall means registeel is eating at least 6 attacks, and even ice beam is going to deal ~13%), and setting up on ~20% dmg struggles from QC is uncomfortable at best. Generously, you could claim that effective PP stalling is just 0/5 QC on moltres sub, which is "only" a 32% chance of getting lucky enough to effectively stall. I'd still call that an insane risk to intentionally take - I would rather just take an 80% win from no QC on lati, or a 85% win from Registeel hitting toxic

Furthermore this "You can't just spam subtect because you have to consider your actual HP total" problem is universal to basically every pokemon with multiple damaging attacks and particularly bad on QC
Consider Metagross-4 ("moltres counters metagross easily"). Let's assume it just gets in for free on EQ, that seems fine.
What exactly is moltres supposed to do now to safely (lets say >90%) stall? You can just WOW immediately. Not a bad idea as the ~75% hit chance is probably the end of metagross being a real threat. a spdef drop on WOW would be pretty bad, but you could then pivot into regi to reset it.
subtect spam is an option but definitely uncomfortable. You do not want to get hit by a psychic crit or eat a spdef drop on a QC sub turn.
Once psychic PP is gone, do you continue to stay in? MM is a 20% atk boost chance. It's not always going to select MM as it can select Shadow Ball also (the AI will not be deterministic on this select just as its not deterministic with Latios). A single attack raise is a problem because this removes the safety net moltres has of semi-reliabily being able to just sit on morning sun.
At the same time, after a single attack raise, both latios and registeel want nothing to do with metagross either. Even if all its PP gets stripped, +1 struggle does too much damage to let latios safely setup.
Ok so metagross-4 is meh but not exactly GG. The concern goes up quite a lot more with Metagross-5 though, which is definitely going to take its luck on 2 QC rock slides. It's then quite likely to just explode. Even if all Rock slide and explode miss the QC/ sub 20% dance, you're left with a naked 10/16 moltres (its 9/16 but gets 1 free protect on the following turn) into the next mon. This is not a "good" outcome as a 10/16 hp moltres can only effectively subtect spam 6-7 turns.

This is just me voicing concerns out loud; I'm actually not sure what the optimal play against metagross because the set overlap is annoying.
Metagross-7 can look like metagross-4 because it will also either SBall or MM lati, and then attempt to EQ Registeel (damage rolls will be identical, there will be no item indication)
The problem is you don't really want to do moltres vs metagross-7 either, but for a different reason to metagross-4. SBall + tpunch requires 16 turns of stalling with subtect pressure. As it doesnt have QC, you can safely Subtect until turn 15 with a 12.5% HP moltres. Morning sun here is ok, but a SBall spdef drop would mean a regi switch, and moltres doesnt really want to sit on ice punch either, even if its "only" hit by 15/2/2 = 4 total after pressure and protect, that's 4 chances for moltres to get frozen. The reward for this is that Latios can attempt a setup, except metagross struggle can break latios' sub. Its possible to setup here but uncomfortable and as we know from other teams, a +6/+6 latios with only dclaw coverage isnt gg with 2 opponents left.

Again, I'm not sure why you need me to tell you this. Surely you have seen Metagross at least a few times, and most of its sets either overlap or should create some fear from MM atk boosts. You have no fast way to kill metagross, so I can't believe you just "haven't seen it atk boost".

All of this is "ok" if lati@s and metagross were isolated cases, but they're not. Let me just forget the massive QC + Guts list I've already provided (most of these outlast moltres with offensive pressure) and pick out a set like Dewgong-4, milotic-2 or nidoking-3

Dewgong-4 is only "safely" handled by regi but you are forced to risk sheer cold or ice beam frz on the switch before you go for sub. Moltres cant handle this since surf+ice beam + sheer cold is too much PP to safely stall. Latios can 1v1 it if you can dodge crits and sheer colds.

Milotic-2 has safeguard + surf/ice beam. Regi can 1v1 this with SToss, if surf does not crit. There's no safe way to get Moltres in against this without sacking something, but even after that happens a full 13-turn stall still ends with giving milotic a chance to frz moltres. The ultimate upshot (if moltres somehow gets in) is ok because the reward is ultimately +6/+6 latios, but again this is not GG.

Nidoking-3 is another pokemon where I'm not sure what you're supposed to do without thinking for a bit. No way for Latios to safely 1v1 this, particularly when set 2 and 4 need to be scouted and run from. Registeel cant sit on horn drill or fire blast, especially while its slower. Moltres could come in, but Surf's 15pp + Leppa berry giving an extra 10 means moltres needs 100% HP to get the full 13 turn subtect for 8+5 surf PP (note that getting hit by fblast or blizzard means you arent at 100% even after 2 leftover ticks). This sounds ok until you remember horn drill can slip into one of those turns and ruin the perfect count. At the same time, there is absolutely no way you can safely 1v1 without subtect while it still has horn drill PP remaining. The risk of horn drill also makes Moltres/ Registeel pivoting way too risky. Latios could stay in, but Poison Point can burn lum, +0 DClaw is a 2hko roll on nido-3 and unscouted nido-2 will just beat latios in this scenario.

These are not cherry-picked sets. The list of pokemon Latios can't trivially 1v1 but have multiple coverage moves is an extension of this. A single misplay or misread of a set on a single turn can be GG - it's not like Latios or Moltres are actually bulky enough to take a stray hit. Registeel has a longer list of things it "safely counters" but I would be very wary of things like 3/3 self hit from confusion, or 25% prz happening and preventing rest on a critical turn. Again, it's a near-certainty that this has either happened or almost happened to you once in 200 battles.
even outside the turn 1 threadlist pre-scout (this is easily 50+ sets), there are simple combos of enemy sets that can cause trouble.
Lead claydol for example. You can sub t1 to scout, but claydol-4 puts you in an awkward position where it beats latios 1v1, moltres cannot safely switch in (from either latios or Registeel) due to the explosion threat. At the same time, no way registeel safely stays in while it spams 252+ EQs (while being faster). You can go to moltres and hope for no explode on the switch, but if it explodes on moltres then you open yourself up to losing to every set not defeated by the Latios-Registeel combo (and this is likely a 75% Latios after the sub-scout). Claydol doesn't 1v3 you like some other sets can, but it does destroy the defensive core and create a 2v2. Again, this is "ok" but the threatlist expansion is going to put your win odds way lower.

Manectric is a similar issue. On paper latios can 1v1 all its sets. In reality, manectric-4 is decently likely to prz latios through the combination of 33% static + twave being fairly likely. You don't get a free sub on twave either since its still ~10% to just use crunch anyway. You don't immediately lose if latios gets paralysed, but you do expand the threatlist to include pokemon such as Starmie and Gengar. Registeel and Moltres aren't coming in and staying in on these STAB electric moves vs manectric safely either. Manectric doesn't deserve a mention as a "counter" but it definitely does deserve a mention as a pokemon that can directly cause a loss. Again I struggle to believe that even the more presumably harmless electric types like electrode havent randomly proc'd 1/3 static twice or at least once and then threatened to do so again.

That comment (avoiding static, maintaining lum) is the kind of advice i would expect from 200 battles of properly playing this team. PRZ almost completely cripples latios' ability to 1v1 a lot of opponents, let alone sweep. It's not the kind of thing you needlessly risk
To be blunt, there is a disconnect between your team + streak (which are believable as a combo) and the comments surrounding not only the risk of, but also how to deal with certain threats, as well as how the Gen 3 AI just behaves in general when it comes to PP-stalling and the priority given to OHKO moves or split-decisions on SE attacks.

If you had said how a reasonably long list of sets (even without naming them) actually give this team trouble, how important exact scouting with AI knowledge is, and how often you need to find some very unintuitive lines to safely avoid going down to a 1v2 I'd be more willing to believe it.
I'd also be more willing to believe "oh i just haven't faced latios-2/ metagross/ rhydon/ whiscash/ lapras/ nidoking yet and was not aware of the threat" but I feel like you've put yourself into a corner on this by claiming you've just brute-forced all of them every time they've appeared, never getting "unlucky".

The more confusing part is that in my responses I have given you a free ticket to either directly agree or properly discuss actual issues and make the streak seem more convincing. Trying to claim that the team rarely gets into trouble does not make me believe the streak is legit, it makes me think the opposite. These points I'm raising are not complex, they're obvious and come to mind immediately when considering how a single "10% bad luck" fight could end the streak.
Again I think you're overanalyzing every possible threat to the team without trying it. With FrontierAssistant you can deduce that many trainers only have one set which makes it considerably easier to stall. With regards to these threats - how many times was the threat itself actually the lead? For how many threats there are - there's about 3 or 4 sets that are easy to stall. For example against Experts/Gentlemen/Ladies I would often get Regice as the lead, which is very easy to stall. You're also underestimating the effect of Registeel/Moltres having a Sub up after burn stalling/toxic stalling the first Pokemon and getting an additional chance to burn/poison.

With regards to the few additional Pokemon you have listed:

Milotic 2 - does not Surf every turn, it often interjects with Safeguard, which gives additional recovery turns.

Nidoking 3 - First turn sub to scout. If sub breaks then switch to Registeel on Blizzard - Switch to Moltres on Fire Blast. I've found that it may go for Horn Drill before going for Surf, so I've never had the issue of Leppa restoring Surf.

Claydol - First turn sub to scout, second turn switch to Registeel if it is the Physical offense set. Switch to Moltres on EQ. I've found that after it runs out of Rock Slide it may go for Explosion by itself. I've never had it explode on the Registeel to Moltres turn which is the only turn it is risky.

Manectric 4 - CM to Dragon Claw OHKOs but even if Latios gets paralyzed by Static, Gengar is not a threat (if Manectric 4 then it must be Gengar 4), and Moltres comfortably counters. Starmie 4 is countered by Registeel, Toxic Stall or Toxic + Seismic Toss.

Metagross - Hypothetically only Metagross 5 is a threat but I've never faced it as a lead. MM does not even break sub on Moltres without an Attack boost and Moltres can generally Will-o-wisp without too much trouble. The special sets can be stalled by Moltres easily as well.

You're spending all this time critiquing my team without trying it, and throwing shade on my streak which I did on console, without any streak of your own to post. Your time would be better spent elsewhere.

Hi Smogoners!

This is my first post here but I've been reading this site for a good while. Firstly mad thanks to the people running this forum/website, it's amazeballs.

tldr - got into Emerald a while back and am recently hooked on BF. Tried Tower Doubles (Open) for the first time after dabbling in Pyramid/Arena/Tower Singles and got 197 (!!!) so thought I would share this team. I recorded all matches from about 165, including the loss. Yes I play bad.

Bit of background; I got into pokemon on the original GB and Red. Got back into it a few years ago (emulator) and lately been playing lots of FR, was working on completing the national dex and so did an Emerald playthrough for the first time. After finishing playthrough I got hooked on BF combat and breeding/theorycrafting teams and have barely played FR since except to snatch up a bunch of Abras from Game Corner to build my Ditto Harem.

After spending a good while learning how to breed (thanks to the epic guide on this site and many reddit posts) I bred up almost a dozen mons to experiment with and build some teams. I did a little Pyramid, was pretty fun, did some Arena and got gold fairly quickly with the usual strong mons (Latios/Metacross etc). Moved on to Tower Singles and got gold after a little while.

As I like big challenges and plan on continuously breeding up better mons I decided to wipe those symbols with Pkhex and try and get all gold using only <550 stat mons. Turns out this is quite challenging, I've been getting smacked down A LOT (CBAero/Starmi/Snorlax, only getting to 50-55 so far in Open Singles, about 10 runs so far) so decided to pause that challenge for a bit.

Decided to try out Tower Doubles (Open) and got to 196 on my first ever run! Pretty sure I must have got super lucky. Some were very close games.

My team opens Latios/Metagross with Snorlax/Suicune on the bench, mostly well-known sets with a few small changes.

Latios (Spanky) - Timid - 6 hp/252 spA/252 spe - Lum berry

Calm Mind/Psychic/Thunderbolt/DragonClaw

Metagross (LandCrab) - Adamant - 130hp/252atk/128spe - Choice Band

EQ/RockSlide(not sure about this one seems generally not great in doubles, but don't know what else would be better)/MeteorMash/AerialAce

These two feel hella broken opening together. Quite often Latios opens by one-shotting something and the follow up EQ will knock out another two so by turn two start you have four perfect health pokemon vs one poor schmuck. I am seeing this somewhat often at 150-win+ games not just early on (09:45 ish in the first video). Gives me a mad chuckle everytime.

Snorlax (Fats) - Adamant - 92hp/118atk/188def/100spd/12spe - leftovers

EQ/Return/BrickBreak/ShadowBall

Suicune (PupDog) - Bold - 252hp/252def/6spe - Mystic Water

Surf/IceBeam/Calm Mind/Rest

I was planning to use Slaking instead of Snorlax but I got very lucky with this Snorlax IVs and he's one of my all time favourite mons.

Also I know most people seem to use explosion or self destruct on Snorlax or Meta but I can't ever seem to find value with these moves, I am finding Brick Break and Aerial Ace coming in rather handy instead. Am I just bad and don't know when to use explodey tactics?

Also probably Mystic Water on Sue is bad, I just have it on from before I had enough BP to buy better. Not sure what to put now that I have decent BP bank - Focus band maybe?

Videos:

- this is the loss video

Have been having mad fun with BF and looking forward to more challenges.

Nice to see this here finally. I just gonna post some random bits of info here and then I'll start contributing streaks of my own.

Frontier Pokemon tiers

The following is mostly trivia, but it also includes some info that players should be mindful of when preparing for and playing streaks.

In the frontier, the Pokemon you see as opponents are roughly separated into "tiers" based on which trainers use them, when they appear, and how many sets they have. I like to separate them into Low, Mid, High and Legend tiers.

Low tier basically contains unevolved and weaker fully evolved Pokemon, covering the range of entries from 1-162 in Hozu's spreadsheets. These Pokemon only have 1 set and generally only appear very early during a streak before vanishing. Of these, only Shedinja can be encountered after 49 wins.

Abra, Aipom, Anorith, Ariados, Aron, Azurill, Bagon, Baltoy, Barboach, Beautifly, Beedrill, Beldum, Bellsprout, Bulbasaur, Butterfree, Cacnea, Carvanha, Cascoon, Caterpie, Charmander, Chikorita, Chinchou, Clamperl, Clefairy, Cleffa, Corphish, Corsola, Cubone, Cyndaquil, Delibird, Diglett, Ditto, Doduo, Dratini, Drowzee, Duskull, Dustox, Eevee, Ekans, Electrike, Elekid, Exeggcute, Farfetch'd, Feebas, Flaaffy, Gastly, Geodude, Goldeen, Grimer, Growlithe, Gulpin, Hoothoot, Hoppip, Horsea, Houndour, Igglybuff, Jigglypuff, Kabuto, Kakuna, Krabby, Kirlia, Koffing, Larvitar, Ledian, Ledyba, Lileep, Lombre, Lotad, Loudred, Luvdisc, Machop, Magby, Magikarp, Magnemite, Makuhita, Mankey, Mareep, Marill, Mawile, Meditite, Meowth, Metapod, Mudkip, Natu, Nidoran-F, Nidoran-M, Nidorina, Nidorino, Nincada, Nosepass, Numel, Nuzleaf, Oddish, Omanyte, Onix, Paras, Phanpy, Pichu, Pidgeotto, Pidgey, Pikachu, Pineco, Poliwag, Poliwhirl, Poochyena, Psyduck, Ralts, Rattata, Remoraid, Rhyhorn, Sandshrew, Seedot, Seel, Sentret, Shedinja, Shellder, Shroomish, Shuppet, Silcoon, Skiploom, Skitty, Slakoth, Slowpoke, Slugma, Smeargle, Smoochum, Snorunt, Snubbull, Spearow, Spheal, Spinarak, Spinda, Spoink, Squirtle, Staryu, Sunkern, Surskit, Swablu, Swinub, Taillow, Teddiursa, Tentacool, Togepi, Torchic, Totodile, Trapinch, Treecko, Tyrogue, Unown, Venonat, Vibrava, Voltorb, Vulpix, Weedle, Whismur, Wingull, Wooper, Wurmple, Wynaut, Yanma, Zigzagoon, Zubat

Mid tier is the next step up and contains "stronger" Pokemon as defined by the game. These Pokemon cover the range of entries from 163-372 in the spreadsheets. They each have 2 sets, with set 2 being the stronger set in most cases, and are most commonly encountered during battles 15-28 of a Tower streak. However, some selected species (which I've highlighted) can appear occasionally in certain trainer's pools after 49 wins, usually using their second "stronger" set only (but Wobbuffet and Ninjask notably have BOTH of their sets included in their respective post-49 wins pools).

Absol, Arbok, Azumarill, Banette, Bayleef, Bellossom, Cacturne, Camerupt, Castform, Chansey, Charmeleon, Chimecho, Cloyster, Combusken, Crawdaunt, Croconaw, Delcatty, Dragonair, Dunsparce, Furret, Girafarig, Gligar, Gloom, Golbat, Gorebyss, Graveler, Grumpig, Grovyle, Haunter, Hitmonchan, Hitmonlee, Hitmontop, Huntail, Illumise, Ivysaur, Jumpluff, Kabutops, Kadabra, Kecleon, Kingler, Lairon, Lickitung, Linoone, Lunatone, Machoke, Magcargo, Magneton, Mantine, Marshtomp, Masquerain, Metang, Mightyena, Minun, Murkrow, Ninjask, Noctowl, Octillery, Omastar, Parasect, Pelipper, Persian, Pidgeot, Piloswine, Pinsir, Politoed, Plusle, Poliwrath, Ponyta, Porygon, Primeape, Pupitar, Quilava, Qwilfish, Raticate, Relicanth, Roselia, Sableye, Sandslash, Scyther, Seadra, Seaking, Sealeo, Seviper, Sharpedo, Shelgon, Sneasel, Solrock, Stantler, Sudowoodo, Sunflora, Swalot, Swellow, Tangela, Togetic, Torkoal, Tropius, Venomoth, Vigoroth, Volbeat, Wailmer, Wartortle, Weepinbell, Wigglytuff, Wobbuffet, Zangoose

High tier basically contains fully evolved "strong" Pokemon not covered by the previous tiers. These are by far the most common Pokemon you'll encounter during the post-49 wins phase of your streak. Most of these Pokemon have 4 sets they can use against you. Initially, you'll only see set 1 variants of these species, but as you progress you'll see set 2, and then set 3, and finally set 4. Eventually, most of the trainers you face can use ANY of a Pokemon's sets against you, often forcing you to "scout" the set to determine how to best counter it.

On the following list, I've highlighted particular species. These guys are special because they have EIGHT different sets they can use rather than the traditional 4. Keep this in mind when scouting!

Aerodactyl, Aggron, Alakazam, Altaria, Ampharos, Arcanine, Armaldo, Blastoise, Blaziken, Blissey, Breloom, Charizard, Claydol, Clefable, Cradily, Crobat, Dewgong, Dodrio, Donphan, Dugtrio, Dusclops, Electabuzz, Electrode, Espeon, Exeggutor, Exploud, Fearow, Feraligatr, Flareon, Flygon, Forretress, Gardevoir, Gengar, Glalie, Golduck, Golem, Granbull, Gyarados, Hariyama, Heracross, Houndoom, Hypno, Jolteon, Jynx, Kangaskhan, Kingdra, Lanturn, Lapras, Ludicolo, Machamp, Magmar, Manectric, Marowak, Medicham, Meganium, Metagross, Milotic, Miltank, Misdreavus, Mr. Mime, Muk, Nidoking, Nidoqueen, Ninetales, Quagsire, Raichu, Rapidash, Rhydon, Salamence, Sceptile, Scizor, Shiftry, Shuckle, Skarmory, Slowbro, Slaking, Slowking, Snorlax, Starmie, Steelix, Swampert, Tauros, Tentacruel, Typhlosion, Umbreon, Ursaring, Vaporeon, Venusaur, Victreebel, Vileplume, Wailord, Walrein, Weezing, Whiscash, Xatu

Finally, we have the Legends tier, which obviously contains the Frontier-legal Legendary Pokemon. Dragonite and Tyranitar are also grouped with these guys by the game, despite not being Legendary Pokemon. These guys only start appeared after 49+ wins has been reached in the Battle Tower. The number of sets each species has varies: Dragonite and Tyranitar have a whopping TEN sets they can use, while Latias and Latios have eight and the rest have six.

Interestingly, Dragonite and Tyranitar don't seem to appear as opponents in Level 50 at all. Presumably this is because it is illegal to obtain a level 50 variant of those species. In addition, some of us in the Battle Tree Discord have speculated that set 5/6 variants of Articuno, Zapdos, Moltres, Raikou, Entei and Suicune don't appear in level 50 either. This is based off the fact that these specific sets are listed AFTER Dragonite and Tyranitar in the Frontier database, and that the game simply removes all sets in that range when playing at level 50. I do not have enough experience with the Frontier to confirm this but if anyone spots these and can debunk this feel free to let me know (preferably with evidence).

Articuno, Dragonite, Entei, Latias, Latios, Moltres, Raikou, Regice, Regirock, Registeel, Suicune, Tyranitar, Zapdos

Post-49 wins trainer archetypes

The following is a reference list that shows the various trainer types and which Pokemon/sets they can use. Note that any references to Dragonite and Tyranitar only apply to Open level. If you're playing level 50 you won't see either of these guys so you can just ignore them. We can tentatively assume the same about set 5/6 variants of Articuno/Zapdos/Moltres and Raikou/Entei/Suicune.

In cases where I say something like "Set 4 High tiers" without further elaboration of specific species or type, assume that the trainer can use any High tier of the given set.

Youngster Jaxon – Set 4 High tiers of specific species
Youngster Logan – Set 4 High tiers of specific species

Lass Emilie – Set 4 High tiers of specific species
Lass Josie – Set 4 High tiers of specific species

Alakazam, Breloom, Clefable, Dewgong, Dodrio, Dugtrio, Dusclops, Electrode, Exploud, Fearow, Forretress, Glalie, Golem, Granbull, Hariyama, Hypno, Jynx, Lanturn, Ludicolo, Manectric, Marowak, Medicham, Misdreavus, Mr. Mime, Quagsire, Raichu, Rhydon, Shiftry, Skarmory, Victreebel, Vileplume, Whiscash, Xatu

---------------

Camper Armando – Set 4 High tiers of specific species
Camper Skyler – Set 4 High tiers of specific species

Picnicker Ruth – Set 4 High tiers of specific species
Picnicker Melody – Set 4 High tiers of specific species

Aerodactyl, Altaria, Ampharos, Armaldo, Claydol, Cradily, Donphan, Electabuzz, Gardevoir, Gengar, Golduck, Heracross, Houndoom, Kangaskhan, Machamp, Magmar, Miltank, Muk, Nidoking, Nidoqueen, Ninetales, Porygon2, Rapidash, Scizor, Shuckle, Slowbro, Slowking, Steelix, Tauros, Tentacruel, Ursaring, Wailord, Weezing

---------------

Swimmer (M) Pedro – Set 4 High tier Water/Normal/Fighting + Sharpedo-2
Swimmer (M) Erick – Set 4 High tier Water/Normal/Fighting + Sharpedo-2

Swimmer (F) Elaine – Set 4 High tier Water/Normal/Ice
Swimmer (F) Joyce – Set 4 High tier Water/Normal/Ice

---------------

Pokefan (M) Todd – Set 4 High tiers of specific species + Delcatty/Porygon/Dunsparce/Wigglytuff/Chansey/Absol (set 2 only)
Pokefan (M) Gavin – Set 4 High tiers of specific species + Delcatty/Porygon/Dunsparce/Wigglytuff/Chansey/Absol (set 2 only)

Pokefan (F) Malory – Set 4 High tiers of specific species + Delcatty/Porygon/Dunsparce/Wigglytuff/Chansey/Absol (set 2 only)
Pokefan (F) Esther – Set 4 High tiers of specific species + Delcatty/Porygon/Dunsparce/Wigglytuff/Chansey/Absol (set 2 only)

Altaria, Ampharos, Blissey, Clefable, Dewgong, Espeon, Flareon, Flygon, Gardevoir, Jolteon, Jynx, Lapras, Lanturn, Ludicolo, Milotic, Miltank, Misdreavus, Mr. Mime, Ninetales, Porygon2, Quagsire, Rapidash, Raichu, Shuckle, Slowbro, Slowking, Snorlax, Umbreon, Vaporeon, Vileplume, Whiscash, Xatu

---------------

PKMN Breeder (M) Oscar – Set 4 High tiers of specific species
PKMN Breeder (M) Wilson – Set 4 High tiers of specific species

PKMN Breeder (F) Clare – Set 4 High tiers of specific species
PKMN Breeder (F) Tess – Set 4 High tiers of specific species

Aggron, Arcanine, Blastoise, Blaziken, Blissey, Charizard, Crobat, Espeon, Exeggutor, Feraligatr, Flareon, Flygon, Gyarados, Jolteon, Kingdra, Lapras, Meganium, Metagross, Milotic, Salamence, Sceptile, Slaking, Snorlax, Starmie, Swampert, Typhlosion, Umbreon, Vaporeon, Venusaur, Walrein

---------------

Cooltrainer (M) Leon – Set 1-4 High tiers of specific species
Cooltrainer (M) Alonzo – Set 1-4 High tiers of specific species
Cooltrainer (M) Vince – High tiers with >4 sets (see tier list) + Latios/Dragonite/Tyranitar (all sets)
Cooltrainer (M) Bryon – All sets of Dragonite/Tyranitar/Legends (excluding Latias)

Aerodactyl, Ampharos, Claydol, Donphan, Exeggutor, Flygon, Gardevoir, Gengar, Heracross, Houndoom, Jolteon, Machamp, Muk, Ninetales, Porygon2 Scizor, Shuckle, Starmie, Steelix, Tentacruel, Ursaring, Vaporeon, Venusaur, Wailord

Aggron, Arcanine, Blastoise, Blaziken, Blissey, Charizard, Crobat, Espeon, Feraligatr, Flareon, Gyarados, Kingdra, Lapras, Meganium, Metagross, Milotic, Salamence, Sceptile, Slaking, Snorlax, Swampert, Typhlosion, Umbreon, Walrein

Cooltrainer (F) Ava – Set 1-4 High tiers of specific species
Cooltrainer (F) Miriam – Set 1-4 High tiers of specific species
Cooltrainer (F) Carrie – High tiers with >4 sets (see tier list) + Latias/Dragonite/Tyranitar (all sets)
Cooltrainer (F) Gillian – All sets of Dragonite/Tyranitar/Legends (excluding Latios)

Breloom, Clefable, Dewgong, Dodrio, Dugtrio, Dusclops, Fearow, Forretress, Granbull, Hariyama, Jynx, Lanturn, Manectric, Marowak, Medicham, Misdreavus, Mr. Mime, Quagsire, Raichu, Skarmory, Victreebel, Vileplume, Whiscash, Xatu

Alakazam, Altaria, Armaldo, Cradily, Electabuzz, Electrode, Exploud, Glalie, Golduck, Golem, Hypno, Kangaskhan, Ludicolo, Magmar, Miltank, Nidoking, Nidoqueen, Rapidash, Rhydon, Shiftry, Slowbro, Slowking, Tauros, Weezing

---------------

PKMN Ranger (M) Tyler – Set 4 High tiers
PKMN Ranger (M) Chaz – Set 3 High tiers
PKMN Ranger (M) Nelson – All sets of Dragonite/Tyranitar/Legends (excluding Latias)

PKMN Ranger (F) Shania – Set 2 High tiers
PKMN Ranger (F) Stella – Set 1 High tiers
PKMN Ranger (F) Dorine – All sets of Dragonite/Tyranitar/Legends (excluding Latios)

---------------

Dragon Tamer Maddox – High tier Dragons, “Dragon-like” Pokemon (e.g. Gyarados, Steelix) +Lati@s/Dragonite/Tyranitar (all sets)
Dragon Tamer Davin – High tier Dragons, “Dragon-like” Pokemon (e.g. Gyarados, Steelix) + Lati@s/Dragonite/Tyranitar (all sets)
Dragon Tamer Trevon – High tier Dragons, “Dragon-like” Pokemon (e.g. Gyarados, Steelix) + Lati@s/Dragonite/Tyranitar (all sets)

Aerodactyl, Aggron, Altaria, Charizard, Flygon, Gyarados, Kingdra, Lapras, Milotic, Nidoking, Nidoqueen, Rhydon, Salamence, Steelix

---------------

Black Belt Mateo – High tier Fighting/Rock (all sets), no legends
Black Belt Bret – High tier Fighting/Fire (all sets), no legends
Black Belt Raul – High tier Fighting/Steel (all sets), no legends

Battle Girl Kay – High tier Fighting/Rock (all sets), no legends
Battle Girl Elena – High tier Fighting/Fire (all sets), no legends
Battle Girl Alana – High tier Fighting/Steel (all sets), no legends

---------------

Expert (M) Alexas – All sets of specific High tiers, mostly with “high” Attack/physically oriented Pokemon + Regis/Tyranitar
Expert (M) Weston – All sets of specific High tiers, mostly with “high” Sp. Atk/specially oriented Pokemon + Regis/Latios/Tyranitar
Expert (M) Jasper – All sets of specific High tiers, mostly with “high” HP/Defense/Sp. Def. stats + Regis/Tyranitar

Expert (F) Nadia – All sets of specific High tiers, mostly with “high” Attack/physically oriented Pokemon + Regis/Dragonite
Expert (F) Miranda – All sets of specific High tiers, mostly with “high” Sp. Atk/specially oriented Pokemon + Regis/Latias/Tyranitar
Expert (F) Emma – All sets of specific High tiers, mostly with “high” HP/Defense/Sp. Def. stats + Regis/Dragonite

Aerodactyl, Aggron, Breloom, Gyarados, Heracross, Kingdra, Machamp, Marowak, Metagross, Rhydon, Salamence, Scizor, Steelix, Ursaring

Alakazam, Ampharos, Blaziken, Crobat, Espeon, Gardevoir, Gengar, Houndoom, Jynx, Misdreavus, Sceptile, Starmie, Swampert

Blissey, Cradily, Dusclops, Exeggutor, Lapras, Ludicolo, Milotic, Miltank, Quagsire, Shuckle, Slowbro, Slowking, Snorlax, Umbreon, Wailord, Walrein

---------------

Psychic (M) Rolando – High tier Psychic + Latios/legendary birds (all sets) + Wobbuffet (both sets)
Psychic (M) Stanly – High tier Psychic + Latios/legendary beasts (all sets) + Wobbuffet (both sets)
Psychic (M) Dario – High tier Psychic + Latios/Regis (all sets) + Wobbuffet (both sets)

Psychic (F) Karlee – High tier Psychic + Latias/legendary birds (all sets) + Wobbuffet (both sets)
Psychic (M) Jaylin – High tier Psychic + Latias/legendary beasts (all sets) + Wobbuffet (both sets)
Psychic (M) Ingrid – High tier Psychic + Latios/Regis (all sets) + Wobbuffet (both sets)

---------------

Hex Maniac Delilah – High tier Ghost/Dark (all sets) + Sharpedo/Absol (set 2 only)
Hex Maniac Carly – High tier Poison/Ghost (all sets) + Seviper-2
Hex Maniac Lexie – High tier Dark/Poison (all sets) + Seviper/Sharpedo/Absol (set 2 only)

---------------

Pokemaniac Miller – Set 1/2 of specific High tiers + Dragonite/Tyranitar (all sets) + Zangoose-2
Pokemaniac Marv – Set 3/4 of specific High tiers + Dragonite/Tyranitar (all sets) + Zangoose-2
Pokemaniac Layton – All sets of specific High tiers + Dragonite/Tyranitar (all sets) + Zangoose-2

Aerodactyl, Aggron, Blastoise, Blissey, Charizard, Donphan, Exploud, Feraligatr, Flygon, Glalie, Golem, Granbull, Gyarados, Kangaskhan, Lapras, Marowak, Meganium, Metagross, Miltank, Nidoking, Nidoqueen, Rhydon, Salamence, Skarmory, Slaking, Snorlax, Steelix, Swampert, Tauros, Ursaring, Venusaur, Wailord, Walrein

Aerodactyl, Aggron, Charizard, Gyarados, Lapras, Meganium, Metagross, Salamence, Snorlax, Steelix, Swampert, Ursaring

---------------

Gentleman Brooks – Set 4 High tiers
Gentleman Gregory – High tiers with >4 sets (see tier list) + Dragonite/Tyranitar (all sets) + Lati@s (sets 1-4 only)
Gentleman Reese – All sets of Dragonite/Tyranitar/Legends

---------------

Triathlete (M runner) Mason – Set 4 High tiers
Triathlete (M runner) Toby – Set 3 High tier

Triathlete (F runner) Dorothy – Set 2 High tier
Triathlete (F runner) Piper – Set 1 High tier

Triathlete (M swimmer) Finn – High tier Ice/Fighting (all sets) + Water (sets 3-4 only, 3-8 for Starmie/Lapras) + Sneasel/Cloyster (set 2 only)
Triathlete (M swimmer) Samir – High tier Ice/Fighting (all sets) + Water (sets 3-4 only, 3-8 for Starmie/Lapras) + Sneasel/Cloyster (set 2 only)

Triathlete (F swimmer) Fiona – High tier Ice/Fighting (all sets) + Water (sets 1-2 only, sets 1/2/5-8 for Starmie/Lapras) + Sneasel/Cloyster (set 2 only)
Triathlete (F swimmer) Gloria – High tier Ice/Fighting (all sets) + Water (sets 1-2 only, sets 1/2/5-8 for Starmie/Lapras) + Sneasel/Cloyster (set 2 only)

Triathlete (M cyclist) Nico – Set 4 High tier
Triathlete (M cyclist) Jeremy – Set 3 High tier

Triathlete (F cyclist) Caitlyn – Set 2 High tier
Triathlete (F cyclist) Reena – Set 1 High tier

---------------

Bug Maniac Avery – High tier Bug (all sets) + Parasect/Masquerain/Venomoth/Scyther/Pinsir (set 2 only) + Shedinja-1 + Ninjask (both sets)
Bug Maniac Liam – High tier Bug (all sets) + Parasect/Masquerain/Venomoth/Scyther/Pinsir (set 2 only) + Shedinja-1 + Ninjask (both sets)

---------------

Fisherman Theo – High tier Waters (Lanturn/Whiscash/Wailord/Tentacruel/Starmie only, all sets) + Seaking/Sharpedo/Mantine/Crawdaunt/Kingler/Octillery/Huntail/Gorebyss/Relicanth/Cloyster (set 2 only)
Fisherman Bailey – High tier Waters (Lanturn/Whiscash/Wailord/Tentacruel/Starmie only, all sets) + Seaking/Sharpedo/Mantine/Crawdaunt/Kingler/Octillery/Huntail/Gorebyss/Relicanth/Cloyster (set 2 only)

---------------

Ruin Maniac Hugo – High tier Rock/Steel + Regis (all sets)
Ruin Maniac Bryce – High tier Rock/Steel + Regis (all sets)

---------------

Collector Gideon – Starters (all sets)
Collector Tristran – Starters (all sets)

---------------

Guitarist Charles – High tier Electric/Dark (all sets) + Absol-2 + legendary birds (all sets)
Guitarist Raymond – High tier Pokemon/Regis/Lati@s sets with Thunder Wave

---------------

Bird Keeper Dirk – High tier Flying (all sets) + legendary birds (sets 1-4) + Pidgeot-2
Bird Keeper Harold – High tier Flying (all sets) + legendary birds (sets 1-4) + Pidgeot-2

---------------

Sailor Omar – High tier Water/Fighting (all sets)
Sailor Pete – High tier Water/Fighting (all sets)

---------------

Hiker Dev – High tier Rock/Ground + Tyranitar (all sets)
Hiker Corey – High tier Rock/Ground + Tyranitar (all sets)

---------------

Kindler Andre – High tier Fire/Ghost + Dragonite (all sets)
Kindler Ferris – High tier Fire/Ghost + Dragonite (all sets)

---------------

Parasol Lady Alivia – High tier Pokemon sets with Hail/Rain Dance/Sunny Day (if set 1-4 only, no legends)
Parasol Lady Paige – High tier Pokemon sets with Hail/Rain Dance/Sunny Day (if set 1-4 only, no legends)

---------------

Beauty Anya – Eeveelutions (all sets)
Beauty Dawn – High tier Pokemon/Legendary sets with Attract

---------------

Aroma Lady Abby – High tier Grass/Psychic (all sets) + Wobbuffet (both sets) + Sunflora/Jumpluff/Tropius/Cacturne/Bellossom (set 2 only)
Aroma Lady Greta – High tier Grass/Psychic (all sets) + Wobbuffet (both sets) + Sunflora/Jumpluff/Tropius/Cacturne/Bellossom (set 2 only)

AI behaviour

During early rounds (the first 4 rounds of the Tower I believe), the AI tends to act rather randomly and will sometimes use nonsensical options (e.g. Thunderbolt into a Ground-type, status into an already status-ed Pokemon, Attract on a genderless Pokemon). This, on top of the generally weaker species you see, makes these rounds easier overall, although the randomness of the AI can sometimes make switching less safe.

After this time, the AI becomes "smarter" and starts to use the "correct" moves. As a result, you will no longer be able to rely on AI "stupidity" to win as much as before. However, the AI also follows some rough attacking patterns that can make them predictable.

The following is a list of some behaviours I've noted from "smart" AI opponents (expanded from the list I posted in a previous thread):
  • If the AI is in a situation where they know they have a move that can/will KO your Pokemon, it will generally favour this move no matter what.
    • They tend to favour this option above all others.
    • If they have multiple moves that can KO you, they may use any of them. The AI can sometimes shoot themselves in the foot because of this - they may try and fail to KO you with a move that only had a 10% chance to do so, when they had another move with a guaranteed chance to KO, for example.
    • However, if the AI has a priority move like Quick Attack that can KO you at your current HP level, they will usually favour that above all other options.
  • If the AI can't KO, they'll typically use their most powerful move against your current Pokemon.
    • They tend to only react to whatever they're facing and usually won't try to "predict" a switch-in from something that it has faced in the battle already. For example, if you were facing a SPIT Starmie with Milotic, and subsequently switched to a Flygon on Thunderbolt, the AI will only act next turn in accordance with the fact that it's facing a Flygon for that turn (i.e. it'll use Ice Beam) - it won't take Milotic's previous presence in battle into account to try and "predict" a switch-in by throwing out a Thunderbolt. This fact can be used to our advantage to PP stall dangerous Pokemon out of their moves by switching back-and-forth between team mates on resisted moves. The AI will usually never pick up on this.
    • As a result of all of the above, 4-attacks sets tend to be the easiest to predict.
    • If a opponent's "preferred" move runs out of PP, the opponent seems to attack somewhat randomly after that (rather than select their second strongest attack), making them harder to predict.
  • The AI is generally not aware of abilities that grant an immunity to certain moves (e.g. Volt Absorb) until they trigger them, but once they do, they'll generally refuse to use the moves that trigger it again unless you switch away.
  • Sets involving status moves (especially no-attacks sets, such as those awful Double Team spammers) can be harder to predict sometimes.
    • If they can't KO you, they'll often try using status moves instead.
    • They'll generally try anything that may be effective against you but the order in which they use these moves is sometimes random. They seem to have a preference for boosting stats before inflicting status however, so if the AI carries moves that boost themselves, they will usually prioritize using those over other status moves (Toxic, Leech Seed, etc).
    • Pokemon with status moves tend to use these moves against Pokemon currently not inflicted by status if they are unable to KO you with one of their moves. They also tend to not use these moves again once you are inflicted with the status, at least until it wears off. This applies to volatile and non-volatile status.
      • As an example, if the Pokemon with Toxic and Leech Seed has already successfully used these moves against you, they probably won't use these again. If you were to remove these statuses with a switch or through some other method, they would be inclined to use them again.
  • The AI is content with getting into boosting wars with you if you decide to set up. The amount they decide to boost seems to depend on the move.
    • For most moves that boost power (e.g. Curse, Calm Mind), they will keep boosting until they can KO you, or until they've maxed out their boosts.
    • Dragon Dance is slightly different. They prefer to use this only until they out-speed you, and then they'll start attacking regardless of the power level.
      • As a general rule, the AI seems to like having the Speed advantage and will use whatever means they have to get it. This can include stat-changing moves (Icy Wind, Dragon Dance, etc) or status (i.e. paralysis)
  • The AI is terrible at playing with status moves against Substitute. For example, they will often happily spam status moves repeatedly into Substitute, allowing for some free set-up opportunities.
  • The AI almost never switches out of your Pokemon no matter how bad the match-up is for them - they'll stick with the Pokemon even if it has absolutely no way to damage your Pokemon (e.g. a mono-Electric attacker against a Ground-type). This is what allows crippling/TrickBand strategies to work.
    • They are some situations where the AI may switch:
      • Wonder Guard is a notable exception to the above rule. If Shedinja completely walls a set and the opponent has a back-up Pokemon that has some way to hurt Shedinja, they'll often switch immediately.
        • I have observed Pokemon being walled by Shedinja choosing to stay in for a few turns before switching every now and again.
      • The most common situation where a switch will occur for most teams relates to resist switching. If you attack a Pokemon with one of your moves, and the opposing Pokemon has a back-up Pokemon that resists or is immune to that attack, they may switch to the resistant Pokemon in an attempt to predict the same move. This can be played around sometimes if you have an alternate move that can do comparable damage and/or is sufficient to KO them, so be sure to look out for this. The AI only cares about resistances in these situations and has no regard for whether the Pokemon that it is switching in can actually do damage to your Pokemon or not.
        • I am not certain if this also extends to immunities/resistances granted by abilities (Volt Absorb, Thick Fat, etc.) - the rules around this are different in each generation. I can't recall ever seeing it though.
      • Some Pokemon carry moves like Explosion and Baton Pass which, when used, results in the opponent "switching" their Pokemon. This should be kept in mind when using crippling strategies.
      • If the opponent is afflicted with Perish Song, they usually stay in until the counter drops to 1 and then switch immediately, assuming they can do so.
      • If the opponent has the ability Natural Cure, is asleep AND has at least 50% of its HP remaining, it may switch to cure itself. Seriously.
  • A Pokemon with Sleep Talk will favour this move if sleeping. Pokemon with Rest and Sleep Talk are unable to figure out when it is about to wake up after using Rest and will attempt to use Sleep Talk on the turn it wakes up, resulting in failure. The same probably applies to Snore, but the only set that has Snore in the Frontier is Sealeo1, which only appears during the early "random" AI rounds.
  • Psych Up is used by the opponent in ways that can be exploited by us.
    • If you start setting up against a Pokemon with Psych Up, the Pokemon will tend to eventually start spamming Psych Up in an attempt to match your boosts. They may not start using it immediately, but after about 3-5 turns of boosting, they'll start spamming it endlessly until you stop boosting and they have copied the same boosts you have. They can do this EVEN if they are low on health.
    • Some sets have Swagger and Psych Up together and they often like to combo these moves - Swagger to confuse you and boost your attack, and then Psych Up to copy the boosts for themselves. This can be abused for a free switch out to cure the confusion.
  • The AI like to use recovery moves like Recover when sitting at around 60% HP or less.
  • The AI also like to set weather if it isn't active yet.
  • The AI tends to use Counter and Mirror Coat somewhat erratically, just randomly throwing out these moves whenever they like.
    • I have even observed opponents attempt to use these moves when their HP is in the red and they have no prospect of surviving an attack to reflect back at you.
  • The AI also tends to use OHKO moves like Sheer Cold randomly as well. Sets with OHKOes moves alongside more standard moves will often alternate between the OHKO move and its other moves.
  • The AI likes to use Explosion when it HP drops very low/into the red.
  • The AI tends to favour moves with perfect accuracy (e.g. Aerial Ace) if you boost your evasion to a certain extent. The trigger for this behaviour seems to be 2+ evasion.
Some doubles AI behaviour:
  • The AI loves spread damage moves, ESPECIALLY if their partner is immune to the attack.
  • If a Skill Swap user is paired with a Pokemon with Truant, the Pokemon will favour using Skill Swap on its Truant ally over other options (including KOing if it’s possible). After acquiring Truant themselves and loafing the next turn, the Skill Swap user will attempt to swap it to one of the opposing Pokemon.
If there's anything else to add or anything here that isn't correct/clear, let me know.

Speed tiers

I have made more complete speed tiers for both Level 50 and Open. These lists only include sets that appear during 49+ win streaks since I believe these are the main sets that you should be preparing for. This basically includes all sets of High tier and Legends, as well as selected Mid and Low tier sets that may appear occasionally from specific opponents.

For Open, I set the level to 100. I have not included Dragonite, Tyranitar or set 5/6 variants of Articuno/Zapdos/Moltres/Raikou/Entei/Suicune for the level 50 list for now, nor have I included Frontier Brain Pokemon. Please let me know if you see any errors and I'll amend it.

Jolteon-4

Crobat-3, Crobat-4, Jolteon-1

Ninjask-1, Ninjask-2

Dugtrio-1, Dugtrio-2, Dugtrio-3, Dugtrio-4, Sceptile-1, Sceptile-2, Sceptile-4, Sneasel-2

Aerodactyl-1, Aerodactyl-2

Raikou-1, Raikou-2, Raikou-3, Raikou-4, Starmie-3, Starmie-4, Starmie-5, Starmie-7, Starmie-8

Gengar1

Espeon-2, Espeon-3, Espeon-4, Gengar-2, Gengar-3, Gengar-4, Gengar-5, Gengar-6, Gengar-7, Gengar-8, Tauros-1

Sceptile-3

Electrode-2, Electrode-3, Electrode-4

Electabuzz-3, Manectric-1, Manectric-2, Manectric-3, Manectric-4, Scyther-2

Kangaskhan-3

Charizard-1, Charizard-2, Charizard-3, Dodrio-1, Dodrio-2, Dodrio-3, Dodrio-4, Entei-1, Entei-2, Entei-3, Entei-4, Fearow-1, Fearow-2, Fearow-3, Flygon-1, Flygon-2, Ninetales-1, Ninetales-2, Ninetales-3, Ninetales-4, Raichu-1, Raichu-3, Salamence-1, Salamence-7, Salamence-8, Typhlosion-1, Typhlosion-3, Zapdos-1, Zapdos-2

Espeon-1, Latias-8, Latios-8

Aerodactyl-3, Aerodactyl-4, Crobat-1, Crobat-2, Heracross-2, Jolteon-2, Jolteon-3, Misdreavus-4, Pinsir-2

Xatu-3

Arcanine-1, Arcanine-2, Arcanine-3, Arcanine-4, Houndoom-2, Houndoom-3, Houndoom-4

Electabuzz-2, Rapidash-2, Rapidash-3, Rapidash-4

Gardevoir-6, Magmar-2, Meganium-3

Electrode-1

Pidgeot-2

Kangaskhan-4, Moltres-3, Moltres-5, Venomoth-2, Zangoose-2

Charizard-4, Flygon-3, Flygon-4, Raichu-1, Rapidash-1, Salamence-2, Tentacruel-3, Typhlosion-2, Typhlosion-4, Zapdos-3

Alakazam-1, Alakazam-2, Alakazam-3, Alakazam-4

Articuno-1, Golduck-4, Heracross-3, Heracross-4, Suicune-1, Suicune-3, Suicune-4

Houndoom-1, Sharpedo-2

Starmie-1, Starmie-2, Starmie-6

Breloom-1

Gardevoir-1, Gyarados-2

Blaziken-3, Gardevoir-3, Gardevoir-4, Gardevoir-8, Glalie-2, Medicham-1, Medicham-2, Medicham-3

Jumpluff-2, Latias-1, Latias-2, Latias-3, Latias-4, Latias-5, Latias-6, Latias-7, Latios-1, Latios-2, Latios-3, Latios-4, Latios-5, Latios-6, Latios-7, Tauros-2, Tauros-3, Tauros-4

Flareon-3

Absol-2

Golduck-2

Electabuzz-4

Lapras-2

Breloom-2, Breloom-3, Breloom-4, Delcatty-2, Metagross-5

Gardevoir-5, Glalie-3

Exploud-3, Fearow-4, Miltank-1, Miltank-2, Miltank-3, Miltank-4, Raichu-4, Salamence-3, Salamence-4, Salamence-5, Salamence-6, Slaking-1, Slaking-2, Slaking-3, Slaking-4, Tentacruel-1, Tentacruel-2, Tentacruel-4, Zapdos-4

Lanturn-3, Lanturn-4

Jynx-1, Jynx-2, Jynx-3, Jynx-4, Xatu-1, Xatu-2, Xatu-4

Magmar-3, Magmar-4

Donphan-2, Electabuzz-1

Metagross-1, Metagross-2, Metagross-3, Metagross-8

Kangaskhan-1, Kangaskhan-2, Moltres-1, Moltres-2, Mr. Mime-2, Mr. Mime-3, Mr. Mime-4

Articuno-2, Articuno-3, Articuno-4, Golduck-3, Heracross-1, Kingdra-1, Kingdra-2, Kingdra-3, Kingdra-4, Misdreavus-1, Misdreavus-2, Misdreavus-3, Nidoking-1, Nidoking-2, Nidoking-3, Nidoking-4, Suicune-2

Magmar-1

Gyarados-1, Gyarados-3, Gyarados-4, Milotic-1, Milotic-2, Milotic-3, Milotic-4, Shedinja-1

Altaria-1, Altaria-2, Altaria-3, Altaria-4, Blaziken-1, Blaziken-2, Blaziken-4, Gardevoir-2, Gardevoir-7, Glalie-1, Glalie-4, Medicham-4, Meganium-1, Meganium-2, Meganium-4, Shiftry-2, Shiftry-3, Shiftry-4, Venusaur-2, Venusaur-3, Venusaur-4

Moltres-4, Mr. Mime-1

Blastoise-1, Blatoise-3, Blastoise-4, Feraligatr-3, Feraligatr-4

Marowak-2, Marowak-3, Marowak-4

Nidoqueen-1, Nidoqueen-2, Nidoqueen-3, Nidoqueen-4, Ursaring-3

Claydol-1, Claydol-2, Claydol-3, Claydol-4, Kingler-2

Golduck-1

Cloyster-2, Dewgong-2, Dewgong-3, Dewgong-4, Ludicolo-2, Ludicolo-3, Ludicolo-4, Mantine-2, Metagross-4, Metagross-6, Metagross-7, Shiftry-1, Skarmory-1, Skarmory-2, Skarmory-3, Skarmory-4, Venusaur-1, Victreebel-2, Victreebel-3, Victreebel-4

Blastoise-2, Feraligatr-1, Feraligatr-2, Exploud-1, Exploud-2, Exploud-4, Seaking-2

Hypno-2, Hypno-3, Hypno-4, Lanturn-2

Flareon-1, Seviper-2, Scizor-1, Scizor-2, Scizor-3, Scizor-4, Umbreon-1, Umbreon-2, Umbreon-3, Umbreon-4, Vaporeon-1, Vaporeon-2, Vaporeon-3, Vaporeon-4, Walrein-2, Walrein-3

Dewgong-1, Ludicolo-1, Victreebel-1

Clefable-2, Clefable-3, Clefable-4, Lapras-1, Lapras-3, Lapras-4, Lapras-5, Lapras-6, Lapras-7, Lapras-8, Porygon2-1, Porygon2-2, Porygon2-3, Porygon2-4, Swampert-1, Swampert-2, Wailord-2, Wailord-3, Wailord-4, Weezing-1, Weezing-2, Weezing-3, Weezing-4, Whiscash-1, Whiscash-2, Whiscash-3

Hypno-1, Lanturn-1

Flareon-2, Flareon-4, Walrein-1, Walrein-4

Ampharos-2, Ampharos-3, Ampharos-4, Blissey-1, Blissey-2, Blissey-3, Blissey-4, Cacturne-2, Crawdaunt-2, Exeggutor-2, Exeggutor-3, Exeggutor-4, Machamp-1, Machamp-2, Machamp-3, Machamp-4, Machamp-5, Machamp-6, Machamp-7, Machamp-8, Ursaring-1, Ursaring-2, Ursaring-4, Ursaring-5, Ursaring-6, Ursaring-7, Ursaring-8

Clefable-1, Masquerain-2, Swampert-3, Swampert-4, Wailord-1, Whiscash-4

Aggron-1, Aggron-2, Aggron-3, Aggron-4, Bellossom-2, Donphan-1, Donphan-3, Donphan-4, Hariyama-1, Hariyama-3, Hariyama-4, Muk-1, Muk-2, Regirock-1, Regirock-2, Regirock-3, Regirock-4, Regice-1, Regice-4, Registeel-1, Registeel-3, Registeel-4, Vileplume-1, Vileplume-2, Vileplume-3

Ampharos-1, Exeggutor-1, Relicanth-2

Armaldo-1, Armaldo-2, Armaldo-3, Armaldo-4, Golem-1, Golem-2, Golem-3, Golem-4, Gorebyss-2, Granbull-1, Granbull-3, Huntail-2, Marowak-1, Octillery-2, Wigglytuff-2

Tropius-2

Chansey-2, Cradily-2, Cradily-3, Cradily-4, Hariyama-2, Muk-3, Muk-4, Regice-2, Regice-3, Registeel-2, Vileplume-4

Forretress-1, Forretress-2, Forretress-4, Kecleon-2, Rhydon-1, Rhydon-2, Rhydon-3, Rhydon-4

Dunsparce-2, Granbull-2, Granbull-4

Cradily-1

Quagsire-1, Quagsire-3

Forretress-3, Porygon-2

Wobbuffet1, Wobbuffet2

Parasect-2, Slowbro-2, Slowking-2, Slowking-4, Snorlax-1, Snorlax-2, Snorlax-3, Snorlax-4, Snorlax-5, Snorlax06, Snorlax-7, Snorlax-8, Steelix-1, Steelix-2, Steelix-3, Steelix-4

Quagsire-2, Quagsire-4

Dusclops-1, Dusclops-2, Dusclops-3, Dusclops-4, Slowbro-1, Slowbro-3, Slowbro-4, Slowking-1, Slowking-3, Sunflora-2

Shuckle-2, Shuckle-3, Shuckle-4

Shuckle1

Jolteon-4

Crobat-3, Crobat-4, Jolteon-1

Ninjask-1, Ninjask-2

Dugtrio-1, Dugtrio-2, Dugtrio-3, Dugtrio-4, Sceptile-1, Sceptile-2, Sceptile-4

Aerodactyl-1, Aerodactyl-2, Sneasel-2

Raikou-1, Raikou-2, Raikou-3, Raikou-4, Raikou-5, Starmie-3, Starmie-4, Starmie-5, Starmie-7, Starmie-8

Gengar-1

Espeon-2, Espeon-3, Espeon-4, Gengar-2, Gengar-3, Gengar-4, Gengar-5, Gengar-6, Gengar-7, Gengar-8, Tauros-1

Sceptile-3

Electrode-2, Electrode-3, Electrode-4

Electabuzz-3, Manectric-1, Manectric-2, Manectric-3, Manectric-4, Scyther-2

Kangaskhan-3

Charizard-1, Charizard-2, Charizard-3, Dodrio-1, Dodrio-2, Dodrio-3, Dodrio-4, Entei-1, Entei-2, Entei-3, Entei-4, Fearow-1, Fearow-2, Fearow-3, Flygon-1, Flygon-2, Ninetales-1, Ninetales-2, Ninetales-3, Ninetales-4, Raichu-2, Raichu-3, Salamence-1, Salamence-7, Salamence-8, Typhlosion-1, Typhlosion-3, Zapdos-1, Zapdos-2

Espeon-1, Latias-8, Latios-8

Aerodactyl-3, Aerodactyl-4, Crobat-1, Crobat-2, Jolteon-2, Jolteon-3

Heracross-2, Misdreavus-4, Pinsir-2

Xatu-3

Arcanine-1, Arcanine-2, Arcanine-3, Arcanine-4, Houndoom-2, Houndoom-3, Houndoom-4

Electabuzz-2, Rapidash-2, Rapidash-3, Rapidash-4

Magmar-2

Electrode-1, Gardevoir-6, Meganium-3

Pidgeot-2

Kangaskhan-4, Moltres-3, Moltres-5, Venomoth-2, Zangoose-2

Charizard-4, Flygon-3, Flygon-4, Raichu-1, Rapidash-1, Salamence-2, Tentacruel-3, Typhlosion-2, Typhlosion-4, Zapdos-3, Zapdos-6

Alakazam-1, Alakazam-2, Alakazam-3, Alakazam-4

Articuno-1, Golduck-4, Heracross-3, Heracross-4, Suicune-1, Suicune-3, Suicune-4

Houndoom-1, Sharpedo-2

Raikou-6, Starmie-1, Starmie-2, Starmie-6

Breloom-1

Gardevoir-1, Gyarados-2

Blaziken-3, Dragonite-6, Dragonite-7, Dragonite-8, Gardevoir-3, Gardevoir-4, Gardveoir-8, Glalie-2, Medicham-1, Medicham-2, Medicham-3

Jumpluff-2, Latias-1, Latias-2, Latias-3, Latias-4, Latias-5, Latias-6, Latias-7, Latios-1, Latios-2, Latios-3, Latios-4, Latios-5, Latios-6, Latios-7, Tauros-2, Tauros-3, Tauros-4

Flareon-3

Absol-2

Golduck-2

Electabuzz-4

Lapras-2

Breloom-2, Breloom-3, Breloom-4, Delcatty-2, Metagross-5

Gardevoir-5, Glalie-3

Entei-5, Entei-6, Fearow-4, Miltank-1, Miltank-2, Miltank-3, Miltank-4, Raichu-4, Salamence-3, Salamence-4, Salamence-5, Salamence-6, Slaking-1, Slaking-2, Slaking-3, Slaking-4, Tentacruel-1, Tentacruel-2, Tentacruel-4, Zapdos-4, Zapdos-5

Exploud-3

Lanturn-3, Lanturn-4

Jynx-1, Jynx-2, Jynx-3, Jynx-4, Xatu-1, Xatu-2, Xatu-4

Magmar-3, Magmar-4

Electabuzz-1

Donphan-2, Metagross-1, Metagross-2, Metagross-3, Metagross-8

Kangaskhan-1, Kangaskhan-2, Moltres-1, Moltres-2, Moltres-6, Mr. Mime-2, Mr. Mime-3, Mr. Mime-4

Articuno-2, Articuno-3, Articuno-4, Articuno-5, Articuno-6, Golduck-3, Heracross-1, Kingdra-1, Kingdra-2, Kingdra-3, Kingdra-4, Misdreavus-1, Misdreavus-2, Misdreavus-3, Nidoking-1, Nidoking-2, Nidoking-3, Nidoking-4, Suicune-2, Suicune-5, Suicune-6

Magmar-1

Gyarados-1, Gyarados-3, Gyarados-4, Milotic-1, Milotic-2, Milotic-3, Milotic-4

Altaria-1, Altaria-2, Altaria-3, Altaria-4, Blaziken-1, Blaziken-2, Blaziken-4, Dragonite-1, Dragonite-2, Dragonite-3, Dragonite-4, Dragonite-5, Dragonite-9, Dragonite-10, Gardevoir-2, Gardevoir-7, Glalie-1, Glalie-4, Medicham-4, Meganium-1, Meganium-2, Meganium-4, Shedinja-1, Shiftry-2, Shiftry-3, Shiftry-4, Venusaur-2, Venusaur-3, Venusaur-4

Moltres-4, Mr. Mime-1

Blastoise-1, Blastoise-3, Blastoise-4, Feraligatr-3, Feraligatr-4

Marowak-2, Marowak-3, Marowak-4

Nidoqueen-1, Nidoqueen-2, Nidoqueen-3, Nidoqueen-4, Ursaring-3

Claydol-1, Claydol-2, Claydol-3, Claydol-4, Kingler-2

Golduck-1

Cloyster-2, Dewgong-2, Dewgong-3, Dewgong-4, Ludicolo-2, Ludicolo-3, Ludicolo-4, Mantine-2, Metagross-4, Metagross-6, Metagross-7, Shiftry-1, Skarmory-1, Skarmory-2, Skarmory-3, Skarmory-4, Venusaur-1, Victreebel-2, Victreebel-3, Victreebel-4

Blastoise-2, Feraligatr-1, Feraligatr-2, Exploud-1, Exploud-2, Exploud-4, Seaking-2

Hypno-2, Hypno-3, Hypno-4, Lanturn-2

Flareon-1, Seviper-2, Scizor-1, Scizor-2, Scizor-3, Scizor-4, Umbreon-1, Umbreon-2, Umbreon-3, Umbreon-4, Vaporeon-1, Vaporeon-2, Vaporeon-3, Vaporeon-4, Walrein-2, Walrein-3

Dewgong-1, Ludicolo-1, Tyranitar-1, Tyranitar-2, Tyranitar-3, Tyranitar-4, Tyranitar-5, Tyranitar-6, Tyranitar-7, Tyranitar-8, Tyranitar-9, Tyranitar-10, Victreebel-1

Clefable-2, Clefable-3, Clefable-4, Lapras-1, Lapras-3, Lapras-4, Lapras-5, Lapras-6, Lapras-7, Lapras-8, Porygon2-1, Porygon2-2, Porygon2-3, Porygon2-4, Swampert-1, Swampert-2, Wailord-2, Wailord-3, Wailord-4, Weezing-1, Weezing-2, Weezing-3, Weezing-4, Whiscash-1, Whiscash-2, Whiscash-3

Hypno-1, Lanturn-1

Flareon-2, Flareon-4, Walrein-1, Walrein-4

Ampharos-2, Ampharos-3, Ampharos-4, Blissey-1, Blissey-2, Blissey-3, Blissey-4, Cacturne-2, Crawdaunt-2, Exeggutor-2, Exeggutor-3, Exeggutor-4, Machamp-1, Machamp-2, Machamp-3, Machamp-4, Machamp-5, Machamp-6, Machamp-7, Machamp-8, Ursaring-1, Ursaring-2, Ursaring-4, Ursaring-5, Ursaring-6, Ursaring-7, Ursaring-8

Clefable-1, Masquerain-2, Swampert-3, Swampert-4, Wailord-1, Whiscash-4

Aggron-1, Aggron-2, Aggron-3, Aggron-4, Bellossom-2, Donphan-1, Donphan-3, Donphan-4, Hariyama-1, Hariyama-3, Hariyama-4, Muk-1, Muk-2, Regirock-1, Regirock-2, Regirock-3, Regirock-4, Regirock-5, Regirock-6, Regice-1, Regice-4, Regice-6, Registeel-1, Registeel-3, Registeel-4, Registeel-5, Registeel-6, Vileplume-1, Vileplume-2, Vileplume-3

Ampharos-1, Exeggutor-1, Relicanth-2

Armaldo-1, Armaldo-2, Armaldo-3, Armaldo-4, Golem-1, Golem-2, Golem-3, Golem-4, Gorebyss-2, Granbull-1, Granbull-3, Huntail-2, Marowak-1, Octillery-2, Wigglytuff-2

Tropius-2

Chansey-2, Cradily-2, Cradily-3, Cradily-4, Hariyama-2, Muk-3, Muk-4, Regice-2, Regice-3, Regice-5, Registeel-2, Vileplume-4

Forretress-1, Forretress-2, Forretress-4, Kecleon-2, Rhydon-1, Rhydon-2, Rhydon-3, Rhydon-4

Dunsparce-2, Granbull-2, Granbull-4

Cradily-1

Quagsire-1, Quagsire-3

Forretress-3, Porygon-2

Wobbuffet1, Wobbuffet2

Parasect-2, Slowbro-2, Slowking-2, Slowking-4, Snorlax-1, Snorlax-2, Snorlax-3, Snorlax-4, Snorlax-5, Snorlax-6, Snorlax-7, Snorlax-8, Steelix-1, Steelix-2, Steelix-3, Steelix-4

Quagsire-2, Quagsire-4

Dusclops-1, Dusclops-2, Dusclops-3, Dusclops-4, Slowbro-1, Slowbro-3, Slowbro-4, Slowking-1, Slowking-3, Sunflora-2

Shuckle-2, Shuckle-3, Shuckle-4

Shuckle1

Other random tidbits
  • BP rewards at the end of completed rounds for all facilities will increase gradually as you extend your streak, with the maximum yield seemingly capped at 15 BP.
  • In at least some facilities, the Frontier Brains will challenge you again with their gold teams at certain win streak intervals.
    • In the Battle Dome, Tucker will challenge you every 5 rounds (5 tourneys/20 battles) with his Swampert/Metagross/Latias team.
    • In the Battle Pyramid, Brandon will challenge you every 5 rounds (35 floors) with his Articuno/Zapdos/Moltres team.
    • My current theory is that this only occurs in facilities that use non-standard metrics to measure streak lengths. For example, the Pyramid and Dome don't record streaks by number of wins, but by number of floor cleared and number of tourneys cleared, respectively. I suspect that Lucy will continue to challenge you with her Gold team in the Pike (where streaks are reported as number of rooms cleared) while the Brain won't appear again in the Tower, Factory, Arena and Palace. Feel free to correct me on this though.
    • Have spoken to some people and apparently it occurs in the Tower too. Probably occurs in all facilities.
    • BP rewards are increased if you beat the Brain at the end of the round, capped at 25 BP.
How can you calculate the speed tiers for low lvl pokes? I 've my openlevel pokemons set to 65. I want to use an excel sheet to get the speeds for lvl 65. Is it just multiplying the lvl 100 speeds by 0.65 (in my case). and is it accurate enough? not that i will mis some speed benchmarks by 1 or 2?

How can you calculate the speed tiers for low lvl pokes? I 've my openlevel pokemons set to 65. I want to use an excel sheet to get the speeds for lvl 65. Is it just multiplying the lvl 100 speeds by 0.65 (in my case). and is it accurate enough? not that i will mis some speed benchmarks by 1 or 2?
You can use the Battle Calculator and change the box in the middle to fit your level.

Is it possible to somewhat reliably get Gold Tower with <550 base stat mons with fairly straightforward sets?

Right now I'm trying with

CB Aero - Adamant - RockSlide/EQ/DoubleEdge/AerialAce - spe/atk evs (edit it's 130hp/252atk/128spe)
Starmie (lum) - Timid - Thunderbolt/Psychic/Surf/IceBeam - spe/spA evs
Snorlax (leftovers) - Adamant - EQ/Return/BrickBreak/Shadowball - hp/def/spd/atk evs

But I cannot seem to get to 70 with these guys. Is team capable of Gold and I need to get good?

It does seem that this team is lacking in any mon capable of taking a big physical hit and that's usually what flattens me. I was thinking about switching to

Gengar - timid - thunderbolt/firepunch/psychic/ice punch
Swampert - defensive, haven't decided on moves but prob EQ/Surf/Protect/something
Snorlax (same as first team)

What you guys reckon? Maybe both are bad hahah. Any feedback welcome especially from anybody who has attempted something similar.

QuentinQuonce

formerly green_typhlosion
Is it possible to somewhat reliably get Gold Tower with <550 base stat mons with fairly straightforward sets?

Right now I'm trying with

CB Aero - Adamant - RockSlide/EQ/DoubleEdge/AerialAce - spe/atk evs (edit it's 130hp/252atk/128spe)
Starmie (lum) - Timid - Thunderbolt/Psychic/Surf/IceBeam - spe/spA evs
Snorlax (leftovers) - Adamant - EQ/Return/BrickBreak/Shadowball - hp/def/spd/atk evs

But I cannot seem to get to 70 with these guys. Is team capable of Gold and I need to get good?

It does seem that this team is lacking in any mon capable of taking a big physical hit and that's usually what flattens me. I was thinking about switching to

Gengar - timid - thunderbolt/firepunch/psychic/ice punch
Swampert - defensive, haven't decided on moves but prob EQ/Surf/Protect/something
Snorlax (same as first team)

What you guys reckon? Maybe both are bad hahah. Any feedback welcome especially from anybody who has attempted something similar.
From experience I can say that getting to ~70 and consistently further is a skill level that takes some time to graduate to, I was stuck around 50/60 wins for ages before my play style improved. Your team is largely fine, it's just how you play it that's important.

A lot of it comes down to team composition. In your case you've got three Pokemon who are all quite good on their own but don't operate particularly well as a group.

As you point out the team is lacking defensive capability. This isn't necessarily a problem if you have a hyper-offensive team that can tear through opponent teams before they've had a chance to set up but very few teams are that powerful. So you need to give yourself a way to deal with bulkier opponents. For instance, rather than running a fully offensive Snorlax you could run Curse or Curse/Rest. I would also swap out Aero for something more defensive and use Starmie as a lead instead, with something that can cover Starmie's weakness in the second slot. Since the vast majority of threats to Starmie are Electric-types (it fears very few Dark-types, and can beat a large amount of Grass- and Bug-types) a Ground-type like Swampert or Flygon can be a good option in tandem with it.

Couple of other general pointers: Starmie should be Modest rather than Timid (+Speed beats nothing significant and the additional power is incredibly helpful) and your Snorlax's EV spread sounds like it might be inefficient. In general for HP you pretty much always want a number that's 1 more than a number divisible by 4, even if you aren't running Substitute (just for the occasional time that you're taking weather damage as it might allow you to survive an additional turn) - use a stat calculator to figure out what numbers you'll hit given your IVs and EVs. You pretty much always want max Attack on Snorlax; if you do run Curse I'd advise investing in SpDef as that way you can set up more easily on stuff like Alakazam and Latios.

From experience I can say that getting to ~70 and consistently further is a skill level that takes some time to graduate to, I was stuck around 50/60 wins for ages before my play style improved. Your team is largely fine, it's just how you play it that's important.

A lot of it comes down to team composition. In your case you've got three Pokemon who are all quite good on their own but don't operate particularly well as a group.

As you point out the team is lacking defensive capability. This isn't necessarily a problem if you have a hyper-offensive team that can tear through opponent teams before they've had a chance to set up but very few teams are that powerful. So you need to give yourself a way to deal with bulkier opponents. For instance, rather than running a fully offensive Snorlax you could run Curse or Curse/Rest. I would also swap out Aero for something more defensive and use Starmie as a lead instead, with something that can cover Starmie's weakness in the second slot. Since the vast majority of threats to Starmie are Electric-types (it fears very few Dark-types, and can beat a large amount of Grass- and Bug-types) a Ground-type like Swampert or Flygon can be a good option in tandem with it.

Couple of other general pointers: Starmie should be Modest rather than Timid (+Speed beats nothing significant and the additional power is incredibly helpful) and your Snorlax's EV spread sounds like it might be inefficient. In general for HP you pretty much always want a number that's 1 more than a number divisible by 4, even if you aren't running Substitute (just for the occasional time that you're taking weather damage as it might allow you to survive an additional turn) - use a stat calculator to figure out what numbers you'll hit given your IVs and EVs. You pretty much always want max Attack on Snorlax; if you do run Curse I'd advise investing in SpDef as that way you can set up more easily on stuff like Alakazam and Latios.
Thanks heaps for the tips, I am super keen to get good enough that I can achieve all golds with mons like this. I'll take all this into account and try harder :)

Modest Starmie I guess should still be max spA/spe EV?

Curse Lax should be still Adamant, and I guess drop brick break so EQ/Return/ShadowBall/Curse ? Though maybe don't need two EQ (Swampy going to bring that one) - Brick Break maybe better perhaps.

QuentinQuonce

Thanks heaps for the tips, I am super keen to get good enough that I can achieve all golds with mons like this. I'll take all this into account and try harder :)

Modest Starmie I guess should still be max spA/spe EV?

Curse Lax should be still Adamant, and I guess drop brick break so EQ/Return/ShadowBall/Curse ? Though maybe don't need two EQ (Swampy going to bring that one) - Brick Break maybe better perhaps.

Yep, max speed/offense for Modest Starmie - none of the Starmie in the Frontier run a +Speed nature so that way you tie with them and can potentially OHKO with Thunderbolt (though the chance is quite small).

For Curselax, Return/Shadow Ball is a good combination for two moves (you should run Rest alongside Curse) - you don't hit everything super-effectively, but after a few boosts even Skarmory is 2HKOed by Return.

The doctor is back in with a new personal best. 1400 floors cleared in the Battle Pyramid, putting me up there with Cody "The Machine" now. Here were my troopers on the last round...

128.gif

"Sir Loin"
Ability: Intimidate
Nature: Adamant
252 Attack / 252 Speed / 4 HP
Item: Choice Band
Return, Hyper Beam, Earthquake, Hidden Power Ghost

350.gif

"Mora"
Ability: Marvel Scale
Nature: Bold
252 HP / 252 Defense / 4 Sp. Attack
Item: Leftovers
Surf, Ice Beam, Mirror Coat, Recover

94.gif

"Reaper Man"
Ability: Levitate
Nature: Timid
252 HP / 252 Speed / 4 Sp. Defense
Perish Song, Protect, Destiny Bond, Night Shade

I took some time to breed for better IVs this time around. First time I've ever done that. I aimed for at least an "impressive" overall potential on them all with an "outstanding" or "flawless" IV in at least one of their most important stats. I even got lucky with Tauros and got one with a 31 IV Attack stat with HP Ghost; I'm not sure of the HP's base power but I know they type. I was originally planning on teaching it Iron Tail as filler if nothing else. Anyway Slaking is powerful and I love it for what it can do in this facility but often gets held up by the several wild 'Mons that carry Protect. The Kantonian scrub bull isn't nearly as powerful but it still makes the substitute for Slaking I've been able to identify if you're starting to grow weary of playing around the great sloth ape's loafing. Intimidate pairs well with Milotic's walling capabilities and cuts down on the wild encounters a bit in the lead slot. I'm torn between Milotic and Swampert for this trio; Milo is a bit faster and has better special bulk and more reliable recovery but Swampy's electric immunity can come in handy. Tauros even one shot all of Brandon's birds with STAB Hyper Beam. Gengar uses the same set but with better IVs and and max HP and Speed for bulk and speed. As mentioned bringing a Perish Singer here is useful for foiling Double Team cheese and getting rid of hard t break walls and tanks like Cradily and Registeel. Proof of record attached.

Attachments

Hi everyone, I'm so excited to share I just got the Gold Symbol in the Battle Tower for the first time! It took SO many attempts but after slowing down my play, looking at the spreadsheet of trainers/pokemon, and running damage calcs for every situation, it finally happened.

Huge shout out to Churly-Puik, Sh0suk3, average fella, and Alex_Super_Tramp for their insight and for sharing their experiences with Slaking-led teams. Especially Sh0suk3 who I basically ripped this team off word-for-word ^^;

I did this on retail so I didn't have access to FRLG for trades, but I did do ACE (to renable move tutors) and RNG Manipulation for good IV pokemon.

Thank you to the mods/organizers of this thread for keeping it alive and including a list of great resources, and thanks to everyone who's shared strategies in these posts--seriously it's helped a lot.
Slaking @ Choice Band
Ability: Truant
Level: 50
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
IVs: 21 SpA
- Double-Edge
- Earthquake
- Shadow Ball
- Hyper Beam

Latios (M) @ Lum Berry
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 29 HP / 11 Atk / 15 Def / 1 SpD
- Psychic
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt

Metagross @ Leftovers
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
IVs: 21 SpA
- Meteor Mash
- Earthquake
- Shadow Ball
- Explosion
Battle Tower Proof.jpg
I used Latios as my lead until battle 35 for quick sweeps, then switched to Slaking as the battles got tougher. I'm going to try and push this streak a bit before I take on the Battle Factory, so if you have any tips or edits you would make please let me know! ^^

So happy to see this thread still active. I've been pretty caught up in life at the moment but I finally decided to go back and start playing Emerald seriously again. Just have a couple inquiries as of now

First: I'm EV training a Ninetales and I'm planning for its moveset to be Grudge, Spite, Endure/Charm, and Flamethrower as the sole attacking move. I'm putting 252 in HP and 148 in Speed to crack 300, but unsure what to do with the other 110. Would putting all of it into SpA be worth the extra power on Flamethrower or should I split the remaining EVs into some defenses? Probably going to use this Ninetales for the Palace but might end up using it elsewhere so I'm open to suggestions

Second: Is there a reliable way to RNG manip in FRLG? I made a friend on campus who also owns an SP so I might get their help in trading the legendary birds and some other mons from my LeafGreen cartridge to my Emerald cartridge. Haven't caught the birds yet and would like to get an optimal spread for Moltres especially but sadly the RNG seed on FRLG isn't broken like Emerald's. Should I try for manip or just soft reset until I get some good IVs?

And lastly, I just wanna thank y'all for being cool. I haven't been on this thread lately because of how busy I've been but I'm so glad I'm not the only one this passionate about Emerald. Just awesome to have a place like this where so many cool teams are shared and strategies are exchanged

Yep, max speed/offense for Modest Starmie - none of the Starmie in the Frontier run a +Speed nature so that way you tie with them and can potentially OHKO with Thunderbolt (though the chance is quite small).

For Curselax, Return/Shadow Ball is a good combination for two moves (you should run Rest alongside Curse) - you don't hit everything super-effectively, but after a few boosts even Skarmory is 2HKOed by Return.
Alrighty I'll give it a crack. I just realised Curse is an egg move so I think I need to fire up LG and find me a curse slowbro to breed me a curselax \o/

The doctor is back in with a new personal best. 1400 floors cleared in the Battle Pyramid, putting me up there with Cody "The Machine" now. Here were my troopers on the last round...

View attachment 603221
"Sir Loin"

View attachment 603222
"Mora"
Surf, Ice Beam, Mirror Coat, Recover

View attachment 603223
"Reaper Man"

I took some time to breed for better IVs this time around. First time I've ever done that. I aimed for at least an "impressive" overall potential on them all with an "outstanding" or "flawless" IV in at least one of their most important stats. I even got lucky with Tauros and got one with a 31 IV Attack stat with HP Ghost; I'm not sure of the HP's base power but I know they type. I was originally planning on teaching it Iron Tail as filler if nothing else. Anyway Slaking is powerful and I love it for what it can do in this facility but often gets held up by the several wild 'Mons that carry Protect. The Kantonian scrub bull isn't nearly as powerful but it still makes the substitute for Slaking I've been able to identify if you're starting to grow weary of playing around the great sloth ape's loafing. Intimidate pairs well with Milotic's walling capabilities and cuts down on the wild encounters a bit in the lead slot. I'm torn between Milotic and Swampert for this trio; Milo is a bit faster and has better special bulk and more reliable recovery but Swampy's electric immunity can come in handy. Tauros even one shot all of Brandon's birds with STAB Hyper Beam. Gengar uses the same set but with better IVs and and max HP and Speed for bulk and speed. As mentioned bringing a Perish Singer here is useful for foiling Double Team cheese and getting rid of hard t break walls and tanks like Cradily and Registeel. Proof of record attached.
Sir Loin is possibly the greatest name of all time.
Also congrats, 1400 is nuts!

Sir Loin is possibly the greatest name of all time.
Also congrats, 1400 is nuts!
Thanks lol. I've started a new run today and plan on posting the results when/if I complete another 20 rounds. Do you know how to go about officially reporting a world record on here?

Thanks lol. I've started a new run today and plan on posting the results when/if I complete another 20 rounds. Do you know how to go about officially reporting a world record on here?
No clue, I am only about a week old up in here. I imagine the authorities will soon notice and get their chisels out.

Stoked to report a streak of 105 in the battle palace open level on emulator! I tested a bunch of different teams and strategies, and it seems like the most consistent is to use hasty natured pokemon with substitute. This means that the pokemon will consistently attack or use sub above 50% HP, and will attack very consistently when dropping below 50%. This team was built around Zapdos, who I think is an extremely underrated pokemon in the battle frontier as it has stab thunderbolt giving it great matchups into water types, and its electric flying typing gives it great matchups into threats like Metagross, Scizor, Salamence, Heracross, and many others. Anyways, here's the team I used:

Latios (M) @ Petaya Berry
EVs: 28 HP / 12 Def / 252 SpA / 216 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Psychic
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Substitute

Tyranitar @ Lum Berry
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 12 HP / 252 Atk / 244 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Earthquake
- Ancient Power
- Brick Break
- Substitute

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 108 Def / 148 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Shock Wave
- Aerial Ace
- Substitute

Latios lead is excellent for dealing with a wide variety of pokemon, and Tyranitar beats most of the pokemon Latios doesn't like, including Regice, Jynx, Houndoom, and Psychic types. Zapdos also synergizes really well with Tyranitar, as it can beat waters, fighting types, and Metagross. The only pokemon that Zapdos and Tyranitar sometimes struggle against are Swampert Quagsire and Whiscash, as well as Flygon and Claydol. Latios is able to deal with all of these pokemon pretty well. The streak ended to a Tyranitar 5 that set up a dragon dance on my low health, paralyzed Latios. After my Latios fell to rock slide the following turn, my Tyranitar came in and got out sped and one shot by earthquake, which was a 43.8% chance roll. Then my Zapdos came in and got one shot to rock slide. This was unfortunate as my team usually never struggled into Tyranitar, since my Tyranitar can usually out speed them and do major damage or even kill with brick break. Even if I immediately switched out my Latios into my Tyranitar, the same outcome could have occurred. Maybe a bit more bulk on Tyranitar to allow it to live the +1 earthquake could prevent this from happening in the future.

The only proof I have on this steak is a screenshot as I didn't record any videos of it.

Attachments

Stoked to report a streak of 105 in the battle palace open level on emulator! I tested a bunch of different teams and strategies, and it seems like the most consistent is to use hasty natured pokemon with substitute. This means that the pokemon will consistently attack or use sub above 50% HP, and will attack very consistently when dropping below 50%. This team was built around Zapdos, who I think is an extremely underrated pokemon in the battle frontier as it has stab thunderbolt giving it great matchups into water types, and its electric flying typing gives it great matchups into threats like Metagross, Scizor, Salamence, Heracross, and many others. Anyways, here's the team I used:

Latios (M) @ Petaya Berry
Hasty Nature
- Psychic
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Substitute

Tyranitar @ Lum Berry
Hasty Nature
- Earthquake
- Ancient Power
- Brick Break
- Substitute

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 108 Def / 148 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Shock Wave
- Aerial Ace
- Substitute

Latios lead is excellent for dealing with a wide variety of pokemon, and Tyranitar beats most of the pokemon Latios doesn't like, including Regice, Jynx, Houndoom, and Psychic types. Zapdos also synergizes really well with Tyranitar, as it can beat waters, fighting types, and Metagross. The only pokemon that Zapdos and Tyranitar sometimes struggle against are Swampert Quagsire and Whiscash, as well as Flygon and Claydol. Latios is able to deal with all of these pokemon pretty well. The streak ended to a Tyranitar 5 that set up a dragon dance on my low health, paralyzed Latios. After my Latios fell to rock slide the following turn, my Tyranitar came in and got out sped and one shot by earthquake, which was a 43.8% chance roll. Then my Zapdos came in and got one shot to rock slide. This was unfortunate as my team usually never struggled into Tyranitar, since my Tyranitar can usually out speed them and do major damage or even kill with brick break. Even if I immediately switched out my Latios into my Tyranitar, the same outcome could have occurred. Maybe a bit more bulk on Tyranitar to allow it to live the +1 earthquake could prevent this from happening in the future.

The only proof I have on this steak is a screenshot as I didn't record any videos of it.
This is a great team! Did you find that the Petaya Berry on Latios worked well? Or were there any issues with status on Latios at all? Also wondering why the specific Defense/Speed investment in Zapdos.

Thanks! Yes the petaya berry on Latios worked well, as I could occasionally use sandstorm to get Latios into petaya range. I wasn't too concerned about status as Latios will use sub a lot and out speeds just about everything. The rational behind the Zapdos spread was to out speed base 100s at 300 speed, and then put the rest into hp and def since zapdos often switches into things like Metagross, Scizor, etc. I figured maxing out spattk might not be optimal since Zapdos is often switching into pokemon that are chipped by sandstorm and/or Latios or Tyranitar, so having the bulk to make switching in and pp stall safer was the route I took. Not sure if the spread is optimal though.

Update - Marowak is pretty insane in the battle palace! I was able to reach a streak of 147 at level 100 on emulator using a team that consisted of Tyranitar, Latios, and Marowak. Tyranitar is a fantastic lead as it immediately puts sand on the field to chip away at your opponent. All of my pokemon run hasty nature, which means they either attack or use sub above 50% hp. Sometimes it can be frusturating when your pokemon spams sub when you want them to attack, but with sand you're able to chip away at their hp behind sub, or at least deny leftovers recovery to those who aren't sand immune. Tyranitar pairs extremely well with Latios, as all of the water, grass, fighting, and ground moves Tyranitar doesn't like are easy switch ins for Latios. The only pokemon you hate to see when Tyranitar is out is Heracross, because this team has no great megahorn switch ins. You just have to hope ttar takes out Heracross by choosing smarter moves, and if not, Latios can reliably revenge kill. The idea behind Marowak is that it is a fantastic wall breaker, and it's also nice that he's immune to sand. Latios mainly struggles with slower, bulkier opponents, since it's usually able to out speed and handle most opponents that would be faster than Marowak. Anything that is slower than Marowak, which reaches 207 speed with hasty nature, will likely get blown up by a stab earthquake coming from a massive 518 attack stat with thick club equipped.

Here's the team:

Tyranitar @ Lum Berry
Hasty Nature
- Earthquake
- Ancient Power
- Brick Break
- Substitute

Latios (M) @ Leftovers
Hasty Nature
- Psychic
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Substitute

Marowak @ Thick Club
Ability: Rock Head
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Earthquake
- Ancient Power
- Double-Edge
- Substitute

Again I don't record or stream when I play, so all I have for proof is a screenshot of the results screen. I mainly do this for fun and to share new ideas.

Attachments

Reporting an Emulator Battle Factory Lv50 Doubles Streak of 128

I’m a new smogon user, been playing battle factory for a couple months now. I actually had a streak of 91 late last year that I believe was the record at the time, but just never bothered to post here. It ended partially due to a quick claw crit earthquake from a Donphan HERE. Being a newer factory player I didn’t realize how lucky it was to get a run going that far and thus I only started recording on round 12 and on. I do remember some of the earlier draft combos I used, including golduck-2/Electabuzz-3 for fast coverage. Dugtrio/Aerodactyl for fast EQ. Gengar4/Electrode4 for explosion plays.

After losing that streak, I now had a couple goals. Reach 100 wins and record the entire thing. With lots of perseverance and some decent rng, I was able to accomplish this* (there were 2 battles that I forgot to hit record for on OBS. Once I realized this, I immediately started recording and took notes on what happened).

Throughout my attempts I learned a few things that helped me push my streak this far. Because of all the rng in factory, it can be exhausting to try and stream every single round of every attempt, as you’ll have to reset alot. Once I started recording, I tried to do this, but then realized I’d be better off just recording the low rounds offline and streaming the high rounds. The low rounds are a little mind-numbing and less enjoyable to watch anyways.

Speaking of low rounds, ideally I tried to swap every battle for the first 2 rounds. This typically meant grabbing 2 good offensive pokemon and continually swapping the 3rd. Round 3 gets a little trickier and I don’t try to force any swaps, but will take them if they seem like a decent 1:1 switch (i.e. a plusle for minun). Round 4, since the smart AI hasn’t kicked in yet, I like to try and grab an EQ combo lead and just power through, with a recovery user in the back since I might be able to bank on the AI letting me heal up.

Round 5-7 since the smart AI kicks in, I try to be more thoughtful about leads. EQ leads are very tempting, but can be troublesome if they are both physical attackers and you run into intimidate. On the flip side, a good opponent EQ lead can commonly end runs, so you have to have a gameplan for them. Especially because many of the users have Quick Claw which is hard to play around. For this reason, I typically like to lead something that can hit ground types hard. Intimidate is also phenomenal. Even though you could put a flying/grass/intimidate in the back to switch into EQ’s, typically the AI will use EQ when it’s next to a flying/levitate mon, which means you could be taking free damage from that pokemon as well as some EQ chip, depending on who they target.

Rounds 8/9 with the buggy IVs. Because round 9 pokemon have random IVs, this means that any elevated pokemon in round 8 draft will also have those random IVs. But any elevated pokemon in round 9 will get the round 10 IVs which are all 31. So if you never made any swaps, you would get 6 perfect IV pokemon to draft in round 8 and 6 random IV pokemon to draft in round 9. Ideally you can balance out these 2 rounds to give yourself a better chance to reach round 10. In my opinion, the best way to do this would be to have 28 swaps at the end of round 7. Then you would get 4 perfect IV pokemon and 2 elevated random IV pokemon to draft in round 8. And because the initial draft gives you a swap, by the end of round 8 you’d have at least 29 swaps. Which would then give you 3 elevated perfect IV pokemon and 3 random IV pokemon in round 9 to draft from. This way you theoretically draft a full team of perfect IV pokemon in both rounds. You could effectively do the same thing by ending round 7 with 35 swaps, but generally more swaps = more risk. Having 29-35 swaps for rounds 8/9 would give you 3 random and 3 perfect iv pokemon in both rounds, which is also fine, but if you happen to structure it so you pass over a swap barrier during round 8 that just replaces 1 more random iv with a perfect iv pokemon which is ideal.

All that to say that I generally discourage forcing swaps. I haven’t played much singles, but at least in doubles it seems that you have to favor offensive strategies over a good core of 3 pokemon, so swapping a perfect IV pokemon for a 3 iv pokemon typically reduces your damage output and I like to stick with my draft for as long as possible. Sometimes it might not seem like an ideal lead/draft, but if it doesn’t have any glaring weaknesses sticking with perfect iv pokemon has seemed to work better in my opinion. In addition, you do get put into very tricky lead matchups every so often. In those cases, I think it’s best to go for a riskier offensive strategy (even if that means ice beam freeze or a crit) rather than try to play a defensive swap positioning game. Too often I have tried to play it safe and lose anyways so I might as well have taken the risk up front.

Here is a description of the rounds/strategies:

Rounds 1-4 Video
Round 1Marshtomp/Anorith lead, Plusle in back. Continually swapped Marshtomp slot. Anorith ancientpower spam. Plusle in case Anorith dies to water move.

Round 2Girafarig/Sealeo lead, Tropius in back. Giragarig nice mixed attacker. Both it and Sealeo have recovery. Sealeo ice ball can sweep quickly. Continually swapped Tropius slot.

Round 3Pidgeot/Sandslash lead, Ivysaur in back. Typical EQ lead with ivysaur as an electric/water/grass switch in if needed. No swaps

Round 4Tauros-1/Aero-1 lead, Miltank-1 in back. Typical EQ lead with thick fat Miltank to be able to recover and win end games if needed. Especially after tauros intimidate. Ended up swapping Miltank for a Slowking as a water/ice/fighting resist and to have a special attacker if needed. Then swapped for Walrein just for an extra swap as I felt it as similar enough and could boost my swaps.

Round 5 Video
Round 5 – Poison slow and steady initial trainer. Gengar-2/Gard-2 lead with Amph-2 in the back. I virtually always take Gengar if I have the option. One of the best factory mons. Gard-2 helps against poison trainer. It’s not super fast, but with calm mind and Gengar’s wisp maybe I could get some setups going. Had the option of magamar-2 in the back. Both it and Amph-2 have fire/electric coverage which I felt I needed for steel/bulky waters. I preferred Amph as it’s a little bulkier, doesn’t have to rely on hitting fire blasts, has thunder wave so the speed of Magmar wasn’t as important, and although both are weak to ground, I’d rather not be weak to water. Ended up swapping Amph-2 for a Kingdra-2 which had better speed, good coverage, recovery and could still deal with steel types. After defeating a scary team of Salamence, Flygon, Walrein I was facing a normal type trainer. I opted to swap out Gengar for Salamence as I felt it paired well with calm mind Gard and rest Kingdra. I also preferred the intimidate on lead rather than swapping it in.

Round 6 Video
Round 6 – No type no phrase initial trainer. Vaporeon-4/Arcanine-3 lead, with Shuckle-3 in the back. Intimidate lead with Vaporeon to take out EQ threats. I figured if I face a scary electric mon or something stally Shuckle might be able to deal with it. But ultimately, planned on swapping Shuckle later. Shuckle toxic came in handy Battle 1 where I had to face the stally Milo-3 with leftovers that would have probably beat my Vaporeon in a 1v1. I didn’t like the pokemon for swaps in most rounds and funny enough I had to face a 2nd Milo-3. But Battle 6 was a water type trainer and since I just beat a Jolteon I took that over Shuckle.

Round 7 Video
Round 7 – Poison High Risk initial trainer. Xatu-4/Tauros-2 lead, with Hariyama in the back. This was a tricky draft. I really wanted fake out on lead as well as intimidate as well as the option to EQ. I favored Xatu up front facing the poison trainer so I chose Tauros to be able to have fast EQ and intimidate to let Xatu live hits. Opposing lead is Gengar/Vileplume which is terrifying because gengar has psychic for Hariyama and Tauros can’t touch it. So I need to get rid of it with Xatu. Luckily it barely doesn’t kill with ice punch and no freeze. I swap Gengar for Xatu which makes my team kind of weak to psychic but I figure I can always destiny bond with Gengar if needed. Which I did have to use in battle 6 when I faced an Aero/Lapras lead. I could not guarantee a KO on Lapras with a double up and an intimidated aero was not super threatening. So I figured I would trade Gengar with Lapras and get chip into aero with Tauros since Lapras always saw the kill on Gengar Tentacruel in the back made it an easy clean up with fake out.

Round 8 Video
Round 8 – 25 swaps. No type High Risk initial trainer. Latias-1 (random ivs)/Salamence-5 lead, with Ninetales-4 in the back. Pretty solid lead with special coverage, EQ and intimidate. Just worried about ice moves which is why I took Ninetales. A scary battle 2 lead with Milotic and Kingdra came. I opted to stay aggressive and EQ dragon claw the Kingdra. Thankfully it was Milo-3 which didn’t see a kill with blizzard and just used attract on Latias. Afterwards I swapped Ninetales for Milotic for the bulky recovery. The next lead was also terrifying, Starmie, Flygon. I swapped to Milo and ice beamed the Flygon. It was Starmie 7 which started to boost up but thankfully Latias hit a couple tbolts through brightpowder. I then swapped Starmie for milo to have more consistent damage moves. It came in handy eating an ice punch from Gengar a couple rounds later. I should note that the video is spliced around the 18:52 mark. Once I saw the Flygon/Starmie lead I couldn’t remember the trainer type/phrase so I paused OBS to double check and hit record again.

Round 9 Video
Round 9 – 28 swaps. Water, no phrase initial trainer. Salamence-3 (random ivs)/Gard-4 (random ivs) lead, with Porygon2-3 in the back. Idea is just to intimidate and let Gard live hits while it smacks things. Endure can also act as “Follow-Me” if Mence gets low. Porygon2 as a ghost switch in that can also maybe win with stall thanks to intimidate mence. Terrfying Starmie/Suicune lead. I tbolt Starmie and swap Mence to Porygon2. Starmie ice beams Porygon2 and freezes but luckily I have lum berry. Tbolt takes out Starmie. Then Suicune ice beams Porygon2 and FREEZES again! Aero comes out in the back. The only Aero that can KO Gardevoir is Aero-2 with choice band and if it goes for Hyper Beam. It could also target Porygon2. I don’t’ want to risk that so I swap Mence for Porygon2 and tbolt Aero. It is indeed Aero2 and Hyper Beams gardevoir but I live in the red. Thankfully Suicune just goes for Rain Dance. I double the Suicune and win. Although Suicune is very tempting to take, I like Gard’s coverage and the intimidate next to it. Porygon2 is a great switch in for Gardevoir and has access to recovery. Plus Porygon2 has perfect ivs while Suicune has 3 ivs. Next trainer is Normal, High Risk which Suicune also doesn’t really help with. So I don’t swap. The lead is Snorlax/Exploud and since White Herb activates I know it’s either Exploud3 or 4. One has shadow ball and the other has ice beam. Both are scary so I opt to double it. Snorlax curses and Dewgong comes out.I tbolt Dewgong and keep doubling the Snorlax to take it out. I swap Porygon2 for Lax for the extra bulk and potential thick fat as a Mence switch in. The 7th battle was extremely scary with a Walrein/Heracross lead. Even after intimidate, Heracross-2 would outspeed and KO Gardevoir. And Hera-1 has Focus Band, while Hera-3 has Brightpowder. So I just had to psychic and hope it’s either not Hera-2 or he misses megahorn. Thankfully I hit and KO while Mence swaps to Lax. Walrein goes for Sheer Cold and misses. Venusaur is in the back. I opt to target down Walrein so I don’t lose to OHKO moves and Venu isn’t threatening to Mence in back. It goes for Surf and I am able to clean up.

Round 10 Video
Round 10 – No Type High Risk initial Trainer. Milotic-2/Granbull-1 lead with Miltank-3 in back. This was a weird draft, the general idea was that milo hits decently hard and I prefer to have ice beam on something if I can once I hit round 8 and the Latis are in play. With intimidate Milo should live plenty of hits and Granbull can annoy stuff with twave + get speed control. Miltank has shadow ball to hit ghost types that Granbull can’t touch. Also with endure reversal I should hopefully be able to 1v1 a good amount of pokemon if needed. Being in the back I have to worry less about intimidate. Some notable matches include facing a Gengar, but luckily it was Gengar-1 and missed 3 Hypnosis. I also had to face a Raikou that immediately set up double team and Granbull still hit a Mega Kick for the one shot. A lot of the battles I just spammed surf with Milo and chipped stuff down while Granbull paralyzed things. I got lucky in battle 7 when a Blaziken/Ludicolo lead used sunny day then rain dance.

Round 11 Video
Round 11 – No type, High Risk initial trainer. Metagross-1/Salamence-3 lead with Feraligatr-4 in back. This is a solid core up front with Metagross to hit ice types or light screen up front next to intimidate. While Feraligatr can switch in for ice or fire moves against Mence or Meta. After battle 2 I decided to swap Feraligatr for Gyarados-4. Not an ice resist, but another intim and ground immunity for Metagross. Also, I can for for earthquakes with Gyarados or Salamence freely if they’re both on the field. Battle 4 was an extremely scary Magmar/Latios lead. I decide to Swap Meta to Gyara and go for endure since it is very likely to target Mence. Latios does Dragon Claw Mence and Magmar goes for Barrier which is awful because now Mence can’t one shot it. This is very bad because both Magmar and Latios are almost guaranteed to target Mence although Latios could also see a kill with thunderbolt on Gyarados if it has it, which it likely does. If they both target Mence, then Magmar will likely flamethrower an incoming Metagross. I decide to dragon dance Gyarados and Crunch Latios because if I double edge I will die and Metagross will take 2 hits and likely die as well. With a dragon dance I can outspeed and KO any Latios the next turn. However, Latios goes for shadow ball, indicating it’s latios-6 which means it actually doesn’t have thunderbolt. Metagross takes a flamethrower putting it at 30% health. Now Latios is likely to thunderwave Gyarados because it can’t kill Metagross but Magmar will kill. So I have 4 options, 1. Frustration Latios preventing twave and attack the incoming pokemon with either meteor mash, aerial ace or façade. 2. Frustration Latios and light screen giving Gyarados a better chance to 1v2. 3. Dragon dance and KO Latios with metagross. 4. Dragon dance and light screen. With 1 dragon dance already and access to rest I figure gyarados should be able to 1v2 a good amount of pokemon, besides fast electric types or gengar. With 2 dragon dances I will outspeed every single electric besides Jolteon-4. Option 1 doesn’t save me from electric types because I won’t KO them, though it would save me from gengar. Option 2 or 3 doesn’t save me from electric types either. I figured of all the threats I could lose to, an electric type in the back was probably the most likely and option 4 gave me the best chance to beat that. So I dragon dance accepting the twave and light screen. I am risking multiple para’s in a row on Gyarados but I thought it was worth it. Magmar barriers a 2nd time and Latios dragon claws. Thankfully I am able to get the rest off. I can’t risk paralysis and rest turns without chesto versus Latios so I take it out with frustration. Heracross is in the back which is slightly terrifying. It could reasonably be any set. Heracross-1 does not die to +2 frustration and it has counter. +3 has a chance to KO and + 4 guarantees it. However rock tomb and megahorn are 3HKOs so I can’t spend time boosting up. Heracross-2 has both attract and bulk up and is the opposite gender of gyarados which could get bad fast if I don’t KO quickly. I have an 81% chance to KO heracross-3 with frustration, but it has brightpowder and single target rock slide does around 60% to gyarados. I also have an 81% chance to KO Heracross-4, but it has Salac Berry and Reversal. After chip from magmar, I will likely die to megahorn and low health reversal if I don’t hit the frustration roll. Not to mention the longer I take to KO heracross the more I risk getting burned by magmar and having to rest, Which likely means I lose unless I dodge megahorns. Ultimately, I chose to go with the EQ, then frustration route. I felt it gave me better odds against heracross-1 and 4, along with the small chance to crit magmar which would KO. Heracross rock tombs indicating it is Hera-1 and Magmar goes for the smokescreen…I never thought a magmar would be so threatening. After 1 more rock tomb heracross will outspeed me. So I need to hit a frustration through smokescreen and dodge heracross’s focus band or else I almost guaranteed lose. Gyarados connects. But Magmar burns with flamethrower. At 40% health I don’t want to risk a crit flamethrower and burn damage. I’ll need to rest anyways because it will take 2 healthy EQ’s to KO magmar. With Flamethrower doing 15-18 and hitting on the turn I rest. Once I wake up I’m down to about 48% health. I dragon dance and another flamethrower puts me within crit range. It looks to be a roll to KO at this point so I rest up to be safe. Next time I wake up I EQ which barely doesn’t kill. I’m in high roll crit range at this point, but I go for the EQ anyways. It misses and Magmar gets the roll, but doesn’t crit thankfully. Stupid to risk that, but I didn’t get punished. I rest up and hit the EQ when I wake. I pass up on Latios as I don’t feel like it fits with the core I have now. I’m able to clean up the rest of the battles fairly easily.

Round 12 Video
Round 12 – Normal type, no phrase initial trainer. Zapdos-2/Gengar-4 lead with Scizor-2 in back. Generally I don’t like Zapdos-2 but I felt like it synergized well with Scizor by having access to rain dance. Scizor could also switch in for ice moves. Additionally scizor could resist and kill psychic types for gengar and eat ghost/dark moves. The first trainer being a normal type also lended itself to an extra normal resist. The first battle went well, but the 2nd battle lead was Glalie/Ampharos. I couldn’t remember the type/phrase which could influence my decisions greatly so I paused OBS to check and forgot to hit record for the remainder of the battle as well as battle 3. Once I realized this I started recording again and took notes. Here is how the battles played out – Turn 1: I double the glalie with fire punch drill peck to not risk ice beams. Fire punch crits and vileplume in back takes 80% from drill peck. Ampharos tbolts zapdos doing a little less than half but paralyzes me. Turn 2: Gengar finishes vileplume and ampharos crits a tbolt into gengar to KO while zapdos sets up rain in case amph has fire punch. Turn 3: Scizor does 60% with silver wind, Ampharos tbolts zapdos and barely doesn’t kill while zapdos thunders to finish off Ampharos. Next battle is dragon high risk. Swapping for glalie is tempting but just for this battle, it makes me very weak to fire and gengar already has ice punch. I opt for no swaps. Lead is Ninetales/Flygon. Turn 1: I drill peck ninetales and ice punch flygon. Ice punch misses, but drill peck crits to KO ninetales. Flygon uses façade into zapdos. Latias in the back. Turn 2: Scizor should be able to handle it so I double the flygon. Ice punch lands this time and drill peck does about 60% to latias. Latias ice beams zapdos which barely doesn’t kill indicating it’s likely latias-3. Turn 3: Gengar finishes with ice punch. Latias-3 is also tempting, but I have ice coverage with gengar and electric coverage with zapdos. I also favor the 31iv bulk and speed from zapdos which allows for easy double ups with drill peck and gengar. Therefore, I don’t swap. On the 5th battle I beat a team with dugtrio. The 6th battle was a steel type trainer, no phrase. As much as I like this core, I felt I needed better answers to metagross so I swapped scizor with dugtrio. Lead is Sceptile/Registeel. Sceptile Crunches Gengar to do 80%, Zap drill pecks Sceptile to KO and Gengar Fire punches Registeel which does a little less than half. Registeel sets up Curse and Metagross is in the back. I really don’t want to risk registeel resting as it will make it extremely hard for zapdos and dugtrio to KO. So I opt to Drill peck and Fire punch which barely picks up the KO. Metagross rock slides to take out Gengar and misses Zapdos. This means it has quick claw. I decide to set up rain dance and EQ. That way I can guarantee Thunder KO next turn as Meta EQ will take out Dugtrio. This does risk double rock slide QC with flinch or QC rock slide crit. But I figured I’d rather do that than try to hit 1 / 2 thunders (I know technically you have a better chance to hit 1 / 2 thunders than miss both, but I didn’t want to take those chances). I swap dugtrio for metagross. Final battle is Victribel/Dewgong lead which is slightly scary as Dewgong could have sheer cold or ice beam. I Psychic victribel and figure the upside of a raw thunder hit are better than going for rain dance as I could get crit or frozen by an ice beam. Psychic Kos and Granbull comes out. Thunder misses and Dewgong goes for sheer cold which also misses. I’ve already committed to no rain dance and my chance to hit thunder is better than sheer cold so I decide to keep playing the odds and go for a raw thunder again. I Psychic Granbull and crit which barely doesn’t KO. Thunder connects thankfully and KOs Dewgong. Granbull overheats Zapdos and I clean up next turn.

Rounds 13+ - I decided to stream these live now that it was getting close to WR, all vods are posted. Since they have live commentary I didn’t feel the need to do write-ups of the thought process behind drafts or decisions.

Round 13 Video
Round 13 - Regice-1/Glalie-3 lead with Weezing-4 in back

Round 14 Video
Round 14 - Metagross-6/Entei-4 lead with Raichu-2 in back

Round 15 Video
Round 15 - Shiftry-1/Arcanine-4 lead with Snorlax-1 in back

Round 16 Video
Round 16 - Crobat-4/Espeon-3 lead with Blissey-2 in back

Rounds 17 & 18 Video
Round 17 - Electabuzz-4/Starmie-7 lead with Umbreon-4 in back
Round 18 - Aggron-2/Salamence-5 lead with Snorlax-5 in back

Round 19 Video (youtube link was incorrect, fixed to twitch highlight)
Round 19 - Sceptile-3/Metagross-2 lead with Altaria-4 in back
I was able to swap Sceptile for a Gengar and Lax for Altaria, but the last battle ended with a menacing Latios/Entei lead. Unfortunately Metagross-2 doesn't KO any Entei sets with Earthquake so I'd have to double up with Gengar to KO, but Gengar is likely dying to Latios which means Meta EQ will hit my Snorlax in the back. I opted to Destiny Bond to at least take out the Latios and try to Meteor Mash something in the back. This ends up being Tauros, but it misses. Entei sets up double teams and although I hit a shadow ball for chip with Snorlax to put it into EQ range, I'm not able to hit either of my 2 earthquakes and Entei takes me out with a +1 Flamethrower.

There's honestly a decent amount of luck in Battle Factory that you need to go your way. From decent drafts, to hitting those 90% acc moves, dodging bad focus band/quick claw activations, hitting through brightpowders and just general status hax. Trying to figure out the plays that give you the best outs is key and can take some time. The trickiest part is analyzing the situation and determining if you have to play risky or go for the mid-ground play. A perfect example is all of those rain dance/thunder users. Do you set up rain to get a guaranteed thunder hit turn 2 or do you just go for the raw thunder KO? It's a tough cost/benefit analysis and you need to consider the magnitudes of the upside of getting the "hax" or the downside of missing. Since you need some luck to go your way anyways to get higher streaks, I've tended to lean towards riskier plays. Especially when those plays involve attacking rather than switching. Although switching is a big advantage for the player since the AI almost never switches in doubles, the fact that targeting is somewhat random if the AI doesn't see a kill makes switching a little tricky to do effectively. Speed and double ups to take KOs is the name of the game in doubles. However, I've found that certain bulky pokemon seem to do well in doubles. Because it's so offensive heavy, when you have leads that cause the AI to not see kills immediately, it can improve your odds, because they'll likely go for a status move or a sub-optimal attacking move and that gives you an opportunity to double up. Some examples of this are Claydol, Swampert, Lapras, Walrein, Milotic, Zapdos, Slaking, Snorlax, Miltank, the Regis. From the other runners doing factory doubles that I've seen, everyone seems to have their preferences for certain Pokemon, specific sets, and gameplan. It's awesome to see all the variety and hard to say which is best. I think there's still some optimization in strategy to be done in Doubles Factory. I certainly haven't figure it all out.

Overall, this was a crazy streak with plenty of fun moments. I enjoy the chaos and randomness of Factory. I'm not sure when I'll return to Lv50 Doubles Factory. Right now I plan on either tackling Open Level Doubles, Palace Doubles, or figuring out Singles Factory.

Last edited:
Reporting an Emulator Battle Factory Lv50 Doubles Streak of 128

I’m a new smogon user, been playing battle factory for a couple months now. I actually had a streak of 91 late last year that I believe was the record at the time, but just never bothered to post here. It ended partially due to a quick claw crit earthquake from a Donphan HERE. Being a newer factory player I didn’t realize how lucky it was to get a run going that far and thus I only started recording on round 12 and on. I do remember some of the earlier draft combos I used, including golduck-2/Electabuzz-3 for fast coverage. Dugtrio/Aerodactyl for fast EQ. Gengar4/Electrode4 for explosion plays.

After losing that streak, I now had a couple goals. Reach 100 wins and record the entire thing. With lots of perseverance and some decent rng, I was able to accomplish this* (there were 2 battles that I forgot to hit record for on OBS. Once I realized this, I immediately started recording and took notes on what happened).

Throughout my attempts I learned a few things that helped me push my streak this far. Because of all the rng in factory, it can be exhausting to try and stream every single round of every attempt, as you’ll have to reset alot. Once I started recording, I tried to do this, but then realized I’d be better off just recording the low rounds offline and streaming the high rounds. The low rounds are a little mind-numbing and less enjoyable to watch anyways.

Speaking of low rounds, ideally I tried to swap every battle for the first 2 rounds. This typically meant grabbing 2 good offensive pokemon and continually swapping the 3rd. Round 3 gets a little trickier and I don’t try to force any swaps, but will take them if they seem like a decent 1:1 switch (i.e. a plusle for minun). Round 4, since the smart AI hasn’t kicked in yet, I like to try and grab an EQ combo lead and just power through, with a recovery user in the back since I might be able to bank on the AI letting me heal up.

Round 5-7 since the smart AI kicks in, I try to be more thoughtful about leads. EQ leads are very tempting, but can be troublesome if they are both physical attackers and you run into intimidate. On the flip side, a good opponent EQ lead can commonly end runs, so you have to have a gameplan for them. Especially because many of the users have Quick Claw which is hard to play around. For this reason, I typically like to lead something that can hit ground types hard. Intimidate is also phenomenal. Even though you could put a flying/grass/intimidate in the back to switch into EQ’s, typically the AI will use EQ when it’s next to a flying/levitate mon, which means you could be taking free damage from that pokemon as well as some EQ chip, depending on who they target.

Rounds 8/9 with the buggy IVs. Because round 9 pokemon have random IVs, this means that any elevated pokemon in round 8 draft will also have those random IVs. But any elevated pokemon in round 9 will get the round 10 IVs which are all 31. So if you never made any swaps, you would get 6 perfect IV pokemon to draft in round 8 and 6 random IV pokemon to draft in round 9. Ideally you can balance out these 2 rounds to give yourself a better chance to reach round 10. In my opinion, the best way to do this would be to have 28 swaps at the end of round 7. Then you would get 4 perfect IV pokemon and 2 elevated random IV pokemon to draft in round 8. And because the initial draft gives you a swap, by the end of round 8 you’d have at least 29 swaps. Which would then give you 3 elevated perfect IV pokemon and 3 random IV pokemon in round 9 to draft from. This way you theoretically draft a full team of perfect IV pokemon in both rounds. You could effectively do the same thing by ending round 7 with 35 swaps, but generally more swaps = more risk. Having 29-35 swaps for rounds 8/9 would give you 3 random and 3 perfect iv pokemon in both rounds, which is also fine, but if you happen to structure it so you pass over a swap barrier during round 8 that just replaces 1 more random iv with a perfect iv pokemon which is ideal.

All that to say that I generally discourage forcing swaps. I haven’t played much singles, but at least in doubles it seems that you have to favor offensive strategies over a good core of 3 pokemon, so swapping a perfect IV pokemon for a 3 iv pokemon typically reduces your damage output and I like to stick with my draft for as long as possible. Sometimes it might not seem like an ideal lead/draft, but if it doesn’t have any glaring weaknesses sticking with perfect iv pokemon has seemed to work better in my opinion. In addition, you do get put into very tricky lead matchups every so often. In those cases, I think it’s best to go for a riskier offensive strategy (even if that means ice beam freeze or a crit) rather than try to play a defensive swap positioning game. Too often I have tried to play it safe and lose anyways so I might as well have taken the risk up front.

Here is a description of the rounds/strategies:

Rounds 1-4 Video
Round 1Marshtomp/Anorith lead, Plusle in back. Continually swapped Marshtomp slot. Anorith ancientpower spam. Plusle in case Anorith dies to water move.

Round 2Girafarig/Sealeo lead, Tropius in back. Giragarig nice mixed attacker. Both it and Sealeo have recovery. Sealeo ice ball can sweep quickly. Continually swapped Tropius slot.

Round 3Pidgeot/Sandslash lead, Ivysaur in back. Typical EQ lead with ivysaur as an electric/water/grass switch in if needed. No swaps

Round 4Tauros-1/Aero-1 lead, Miltank-1 in back. Typical EQ lead with thick fat Miltank to be able to recover and win end games if needed. Especially after tauros intimidate. Ended up swapping Miltank for a Slowking as a water/ice/fighting resist and to have a special attacker if needed. Then swapped for Walrein just for an extra swap as I felt it as similar enough and could boost my swaps.

Round 5 Video
Round 5 – Poison slow and steady initial trainer. Gengar-2/Gard-2 lead with Amph-2 in the back. I virtually always take Gengar if I have the option. One of the best factory mons. Gard-2 helps against poison trainer. It’s not super fast, but with calm mind and Gengar’s wisp maybe I could get some setups going. Had the option of magamar-2 in the back. Both it and Amph-2 have fire/electric coverage which I felt I needed for steel/bulky waters. I preferred Amph as it’s a little bulkier, doesn’t have to rely on hitting fire blasts, has thunder wave so the speed of Magmar wasn’t as important, and although both are weak to ground, I’d rather not be weak to water. Ended up swapping Amph-2 for a Kingdra-2 which had better speed, good coverage, recovery and could still deal with steel types. After defeating a scary team of Salamence, Flygon, Walrein I was facing a normal type trainer. I opted to swap out Gengar for Salamence as I felt it paired well with calm mind Gard and rest Kingdra. I also preferred the intimidate on lead rather than swapping it in.

Round 6 Video
Round 6 – No type no phrase initial trainer. Vaporeon-4/Arcanine-3 lead, with Shuckle-3 in the back. Intimidate lead with Vaporeon to take out EQ threats. I figured if I face a scary electric mon or something stally Shuckle might be able to deal with it. But ultimately, planned on swapping Shuckle later. Shuckle toxic came in handy Battle 1 where I had to face the stally Milo-3 with leftovers that would have probably beat my Vaporeon in a 1v1. I didn’t like the pokemon for swaps in most rounds and funny enough I had to face a 2nd Milo-3. But Battle 6 was a water type trainer and since I just beat a Jolteon I took that over Shuckle.

Round 7 Video
Round 7 – Poison High Risk initial trainer. Xatu-4/Tauros-2 lead, with Hariyama in the back. This was a tricky draft. I really wanted fake out on lead as well as intimidate as well as the option to EQ. I favored Xatu up front facing the poison trainer so I chose Tauros to be able to have fast EQ and intimidate to let Xatu live hits. Opposing lead is Gengar/Vileplume which is terrifying because gengar has psychic for Hariyama and Tauros can’t touch it. So I need to get rid of it with Xatu. Luckily it barely doesn’t kill with ice punch and no freeze. I swap Gengar for Xatu which makes my team kind of weak to psychic but I figure I can always destiny bond with Gengar if needed. Which I did have to use in battle 6 when I faced an Aero/Lapras lead. I could not guarantee a KO on Lapras with a double up and an intimidated aero was not super threatening. So I figured I would trade Gengar with Lapras and get chip into aero with Tauros since Lapras always saw the kill on Gengar Tentacruel in the back made it an easy clean up with fake out.

Round 8 Video
Round 8 – 25 swaps. No type High Risk initial trainer. Latias-1 (random ivs)/Salamence-5 lead, with Ninetales-4 in the back. Pretty solid lead with special coverage, EQ and intimidate. Just worried about ice moves which is why I took Ninetales. A scary battle 2 lead with Milotic and Kingdra came. I opted to stay aggressive and EQ dragon claw the Kingdra. Thankfully it was Milo-3 which didn’t see a kill with blizzard and just used attract on Latias. Afterwards I swapped Ninetales for Milotic for the bulky recovery. The next lead was also terrifying, Starmie, Flygon. I swapped to Milo and ice beamed the Flygon. It was Starmie 7 which started to boost up but thankfully Latias hit a couple tbolts through brightpowder. I then swapped Starmie for milo to have more consistent damage moves. It came in handy eating an ice punch from Gengar a couple rounds later. I should note that the video is spliced around the 18:52 mark. Once I saw the Flygon/Starmie lead I couldn’t remember the trainer type/phrase so I paused OBS to double check and hit record again.

Round 9 Video
Round 9 – 28 swaps. Water, no phrase initial trainer. Salamence-3 (random ivs)/Gard-4 (random ivs) lead, with Porygon2-3 in the back. Idea is just to intimidate and let Gard live hits while it smacks things. Endure can also act as “Follow-Me” if Mence gets low. Porygon2 as a ghost switch in that can also maybe win with stall thanks to intimidate mence. Terrfying Starmie/Suicune lead. I tbolt Starmie and swap Mence to Porygon2. Starmie ice beams Porygon2 and freezes but luckily I have lum berry. Tbolt takes out Starmie. Then Suicune ice beams Porygon2 and FREEZES again! Aero comes out in the back. The only Aero that can KO Gardevoir is Aero-2 with choice band and if it goes for Hyper Beam. It could also target Porygon2. I don’t’ want to risk that so I swap Mence for Porygon2 and tbolt Aero. It is indeed Aero2 and Hyper Beams gardevoir but I live in the red. Thankfully Suicune just goes for Rain Dance. I double the Suicune and win. Although Suicune is very tempting to take, I like Gard’s coverage and the intimidate next to it. Porygon2 is a great switch in for Gardevoir and has access to recovery. Plus Porygon2 has perfect ivs while Suicune has 3 ivs. Next trainer is Normal, High Risk which Suicune also doesn’t really help with. So I don’t swap. The lead is Snorlax/Exploud and since White Herb activates I know it’s either Exploud3 or 4. One has shadow ball and the other has ice beam. Both are scary so I opt to double it. Snorlax curses and Dewgong comes out.I tbolt Dewgong and keep doubling the Snorlax to take it out. I swap Porygon2 for Lax for the extra bulk and potential thick fat as a Mence switch in. The 7th battle was extremely scary with a Walrein/Heracross lead. Even after intimidate, Heracross-2 would outspeed and KO Gardevoir. And Hera-1 has Focus Band, while Hera-3 has Brightpowder. So I just had to psychic and hope it’s either not Hera-2 or he misses megahorn. Thankfully I hit and KO while Mence swaps to Lax. Walrein goes for Sheer Cold and misses. Venusaur is in the back. I opt to target down Walrein so I don’t lose to OHKO moves and Venu isn’t threatening to Mence in back. It goes for Surf and I am able to clean up.

Round 10 Video
Round 10 – No Type High Risk initial Trainer. Milotic-2/Granbull-1 lead with Miltank-3 in back. This was a weird draft, the general idea was that milo hits decently hard and I prefer to have ice beam on something if I can once I hit round 8 and the Latis are in play. With intimidate Milo should live plenty of hits and Granbull can annoy stuff with twave + get speed control. Miltank has shadow ball to hit ghost types that Granbull can’t touch. Also with endure reversal I should hopefully be able to 1v1 a good amount of pokemon if needed. Being in the back I have to worry less about intimidate. Some notable matches include facing a Gengar, but luckily it was Gengar-1 and missed 3 Hypnosis. I also had to face a Raikou that immediately set up double team and Granbull still hit a Mega Kick for the one shot. A lot of the battles I just spammed surf with Milo and chipped stuff down while Granbull paralyzed things. I got lucky in battle 7 when a Blaziken/Ludicolo lead used sunny day then rain dance.

Round 11 Video
Round 11 – No type, High Risk initial trainer. Metagross-1/Salamence-3 lead with Feraligatr-4 in back. This is a solid core up front with Metagross to hit ice types or light screen up front next to intimidate. While Feraligatr can switch in for ice or fire moves against Mence or Meta. After battle 2 I decided to swap Feraligatr for Gyarados-4. Not an ice resist, but another intim and ground immunity for Metagross. Also, I can for for earthquakes with Gyarados or Salamence freely if they’re both on the field. Battle 4 was an extremely scary Magmar/Latios lead. I decide to Swap Meta to Gyara and go for endure since it is very likely to target Mence. Latios does Dragon Claw Mence and Magmar goes for Barrier which is awful because now Mence can’t one shot it. This is very bad because both Magmar and Latios are almost guaranteed to target Mence although Latios could also see a kill with thunderbolt on Gyarados if it has it, which it likely does. If they both target Mence, then Magmar will likely flamethrower an incoming Metagross. I decide to dragon dance Gyarados and Crunch Latios because if I double edge I will die and Metagross will take 2 hits and likely die as well. With a dragon dance I can outspeed and KO any Latios the next turn. However, Latios goes for shadow ball, indicating it’s latios-6 which means it actually doesn’t have thunderbolt. Metagross takes a flamethrower putting it at 30% health. Now Latios is likely to thunderwave Gyarados because it can’t kill Metagross but Magmar will kill. So I have 4 options, 1. Frustration Latios preventing twave and attack the incoming pokemon with either meteor mash, aerial ace or façade. 2. Frustration Latios and light screen giving Gyarados a better chance to 1v2. 3. Dragon dance and KO Latios with metagross. 4. Dragon dance and light screen. With 1 dragon dance already and access to rest I figure gyarados should be able to 1v2 a good amount of pokemon, besides fast electric types or gengar. With 2 dragon dances I will outspeed every single electric besides Jolteon-4. Option 1 doesn’t save me from electric types because I won’t KO them, though it would save me from gengar. Option 2 or 3 doesn’t save me from electric types either. I figured of all the threats I could lose to, an electric type in the back was probably the most likely and option 4 gave me the best chance to beat that. So I dragon dance accepting the twave and light screen. I am risking multiple para’s in a row on Gyarados but I thought it was worth it. Magmar barriers a 2nd time and Latios dragon claws. Thankfully I am able to get the rest off. I can’t risk paralysis and rest turns without chesto versus Latios so I take it out with frustration. Heracross is in the back which is slightly terrifying. It could reasonably be any set. Heracross-1 does not die to +2 frustration and it has counter. +3 has a chance to KO and + 4 guarantees it. However rock tomb and megahorn are 3HKOs so I can’t spend time boosting up. Heracross-2 has both attract and bulk up and is the opposite gender of gyarados which could get bad fast if I don’t KO quickly. I have an 81% chance to KO heracross-3 with frustration, but it has brightpowder and single target rock slide does around 60% to gyarados. I also have an 81% chance to KO Heracross-4, but it has Salac Berry and Reversal. After chip from magmar, I will likely die to megahorn and low health reversal if I don’t hit the frustration roll. Not to mention the longer I take to KO heracross the more I risk getting burned by magmar and having to rest, Which likely means I lose unless I dodge megahorns. Ultimately, I chose to go with the EQ, then frustration route. I felt it gave me better odds against heracross-1 and 4, along with the small chance to crit magmar which would KO. Heracross rock tombs indicating it is Hera-1 and Magmar goes for the smokescreen…I never thought a magmar would be so threatening. After 1 more rock tomb heracross will outspeed me. So I need to hit a frustration through smokescreen and dodge heracross’s focus band or else I almost guaranteed lose. Gyarados connects. But Magmar burns with flamethrower. At 40% health I don’t want to risk a crit flamethrower and burn damage. I’ll need to rest anyways because it will take 2 healthy EQ’s to KO magmar. With Flamethrower doing 15-18 and hitting on the turn I rest. Once I wake up I’m down to about 48% health. I dragon dance and another flamethrower puts me within crit range. It looks to be a roll to KO at this point so I rest up to be safe. Next time I wake up I EQ which barely doesn’t kill. I’m in high roll crit range at this point, but I go for the EQ anyways. It misses and Magmar gets the roll, but doesn’t crit thankfully. Stupid to risk that, but I didn’t get punished. I rest up and hit the EQ when I wake. I pass up on Latios as I don’t feel like it fits with the core I have now. I’m able to clean up the rest of the battles fairly easily.

Round 12 Video
Round 12 – Normal type, no phrase initial trainer. Zapdos-2/Gengar-4 lead with Scizor-2 in back. Generally I don’t like Zapdos-2 but I felt like it synergized well with Scizor by having access to rain dance. Scizor could also switch in for ice moves. Additionally scizor could resist and kill psychic types for gengar and eat ghost/dark moves. The first trainer being a normal type also lended itself to an extra normal resist. The first battle went well, but the 2nd battle lead was Glalie/Ampharos. I couldn’t remember the type/phrase which could influence my decisions greatly so I paused OBS to check and forgot to hit record for the remainder of the battle as well as battle 3. Once I realized this I started recording again and took notes. Here is how the battles played out – Turn 1: I double the glalie with fire punch drill peck to not risk ice beams. Fire punch crits and vileplume in back takes 80% from drill peck. Ampharos tbolts zapdos doing a little less than half but paralyzes me. Turn 2: Gengar finishes vileplume and ampharos crits a tbolt into gengar to KO while zapdos sets up rain in case amph has fire punch. Turn 3: Scizor does 60% with silver wind, Ampharos tbolts zapdos and barely doesn’t kill while zapdos thunders to finish off Ampharos. Next battle is dragon high risk. Swapping for glalie is tempting but just for this battle, it makes me very weak to fire and gengar already has ice punch. I opt for no swaps. Lead is Ninetales/Flygon. Turn 1: I drill peck ninetales and ice punch flygon. Ice punch misses, but drill peck crits to KO ninetales. Flygon uses façade into zapdos. Latias in the back. Turn 2: Scizor should be able to handle it so I double the flygon. Ice punch lands this time and drill peck does about 60% to latias. Latias ice beams zapdos which barely doesn’t kill indicating it’s likely latias-3. Turn 3: Gengar finishes with ice punch. Latias-3 is also tempting, but I have ice coverage with gengar and electric coverage with zapdos. I also favor the 31iv bulk and speed from zapdos which allows for easy double ups with drill peck and gengar. Therefore, I don’t swap. On the 5th battle I beat a team with dugtrio. The 6th battle was a steel type trainer, no phrase. As much as I like this core, I felt I needed better answers to metagross so I swapped scizor with dugtrio. Lead is Sceptile/Registeel. Sceptile Crunches Gengar to do 80%, Zap drill pecks Sceptile to KO and Gengar Fire punches Registeel which does a little less than half. Registeel sets up Curse and Metagross is in the back. I really don’t want to risk registeel resting as it will make it extremely hard for zapdos and dugtrio to KO. So I opt to Drill peck and Fire punch which barely picks up the KO. Metagross rock slides to take out Gengar and misses Zapdos. This means it has quick claw. I decide to set up rain dance and EQ. That way I can guarantee Thunder KO next turn as Meta EQ will take out Dugtrio. This does risk double rock slide QC with flinch or QC rock slide crit. But I figured I’d rather do that than try to hit 1 / 2 thunders (I know technically you have a better chance to hit 1 / 2 thunders than miss both, but I didn’t want to take those chances). I swap dugtrio for metagross. Final battle is Victribel/Dewgong lead which is slightly scary as Dewgong could have sheer cold or ice beam. I Psychic victribel and figure the upside of a raw thunder hit are better than going for rain dance as I could get crit or frozen by an ice beam. Psychic Kos and Granbull comes out. Thunder misses and Dewgong goes for sheer cold which also misses. I’ve already committed to no rain dance and my chance to hit thunder is better than sheer cold so I decide to keep playing the odds and go for a raw thunder again. I Psychic Granbull and crit which barely doesn’t KO. Thunder connects thankfully and KOs Dewgong. Granbull overheats Zapdos and I clean up next turn.

Rounds 13+ - I decided to stream these live now that it was getting close to WR, all vods are posted. Since they have live commentary I didn’t feel the need to do write-ups of the thought process behind drafts or decisions.

Round 13 Video
Round 13 - Regice-1/Glalie-3 lead with Weezing-4 in back

Round 14 Video
Round 14 - Metagross-6/Entei-4 lead with Raichu-2 in back

Round 15 Video
Round 15 - Shiftry-1/Arcanine-4 lead with Snorlax-1 in back

Round 16 Video
Round 16 - Crobat-4/Espeon-3 lead with Blissey-2 in back

Rounds 17 & 18 Video
Round 17 - Electabuzz-4/Starmie-7 lead with Umbreon-4 in back
Round 18 - Aggron-2/Salamence-5 lead with Snorlax-5 in back

Round 19 Video
Round 19 - Sceptile-3/Metagross-2 lead with Altaria-4 in back
I was able to swap Sceptile for a Gengar and Lax for Altaria, but the last battle ended with a menacing Latios/Entei lead. Unfortunately Metagross-2 doesn't KO any Entei sets with Earthquake so I'd have to double up with Gengar to KO, but Gengar is likely dying to Latios which means Meta EQ will hit my Snorlax in the back. I opted to Destiny Bond to at least take out the Latios and try to Meteor Mash something in the back. This ends up being Tauros, but it misses. Entei sets up double teams and although I hit a shadow ball for chip with Snorlax to put it into EQ range, I'm not able to hit either of my 2 earthquakes and Entei takes me out with a +1 Flamethrower.

There's honestly a decent amount of luck in Battle Factory that you need to go your way. From decent drafts, to hitting those 90% acc moves, dodging bad focus band/quick claw activations, hitting through brightpowders and just general status hax. Trying to figure out the plays that give you the best outs is key and can take some time. The trickiest part is analyzing the situation and determining if you have to play risky or go for the mid-ground play. A perfect example is all of those rain dance/thunder users. Do you set up rain to get a guaranteed thunder hit turn 2 or do you just go for the raw thunder KO? It's a tough cost/benefit analysis and you need to consider the magnitudes of the upside of getting the "hax" or the downside of missing. Since you need some luck to go your way anyways to get higher streaks, I've tended to lean towards riskier plays. Especially when those plays involve attacking rather than switching. Although switching is a big advantage for the player since the AI almost never switches in doubles, the fact that targeting is somewhat random if the AI doesn't see a kill makes switching a little tricky to do effectively. Speed and double ups to take KOs is the name of the game in doubles. However, I've found that certain bulky pokemon seem to do well in doubles. Because it's so offensive heavy, when you have leads that cause the AI to not see kills immediately, it can improve your odds, because they'll likely go for a status move or a sub-optimal attacking move and that gives you an opportunity to double up. Some examples of this are Claydol, Swampert, Lapras, Walrein, Milotic, Zapdos, Slaking, Snorlax, Miltank, the Regis. From the other runners doing factory doubles that I've seen, everyone seems to have their preferences for certain Pokemon, specific sets, and gameplan. It's awesome to see all the variety and hard to say which is best. I think there's still some optimization in strategy to be done in Doubles Factory. I certainly haven't figure it all out.

Overall, this was a crazy streak with plenty of fun moments. I enjoy the chaos and randomness of Factory. I'm not sure when I'll return to Lv50 Doubles Factory. Right now I plan on either tackling Open Level Doubles, Palace Doubles, or figuring out Singles Factory.
Congrats Goomer! Awesome run!

WORLD RECORD (?)

The doctor is in with a new record for the Battle Pyramid. 1540 floors cleared. Unless he’s posted a new one since this beats Cody “The Machine’s” record of 1400 by a significant margin. I don’t know what I need to do to make this an “official” record but I will at least boast and post the results here. This was done on an authentic cartridge and my team was the same on all 20 rounds, except for the Psychic floor, where I swapped out Tauros for Slaking as it’s the only round where none of the wilds know Protect lol. I have a vid of my last round against Brandon but it’s apparently too large to attach it here. Instead a pic of my streak record.

128.gif

“Sir Loin”

350.gif

“Mora”
Surf, Ice Beam, Recover, Mirror Coat

94.gif

“Reaper Man”

Attachments

Last edited:
Sad news

My Battlequest has finally come to an end. I was on the last floor of the Ice round, with the exit tile in sight even, when I got into an unexpected double battle. My lineup this round was Tauros, Swampert, and Gengar. My Tauros had been KO’d by an earlier opponent’s Regice and I forgot to revive it.

Opposition led with Rhydon and Salamence, I with Swamper and Gengar. To cut it short it was a Dragon Dance ‘Mence who managed to sweep me; it outsped me so I couldn’t even cheese it with Gar’s D Bond. Before I knew my streak was done for. 1588 floors in total; proof attached as usual. On an authentic cartridge. I don’t think I have it in me to go through all that again just to catch back up with my record. This may well be the last post I make here.

Good night. The Doctor is out.

Attachments

QuentinQuonce

Sad news

My Battlequest has finally come to an end. I was on the last floor of the Ice round, with the exit tile in sight even, when I got into an unexpected double battle. My lineup this round was Tauros, Swampert, and Gengar. My Tauros had been KO’d by an earlier opponent’s Regice and I forgot to revive it.

Opposition led with Rhydon and Salamence, I with Swamper and Gengar. To cut it short it was a Dragon Dance ‘Mence who managed to sweep me; it outsped me so I couldn’t even cheese it with Gar’s D Bond. Before I knew my streak was done for. 1588 floors in total; proof attached as usual. On an authentic cartridge. I don’t think I have it in me to go through all that again just to catch back up with my record. This may well be the last post I make here.

Good night. The Doctor is out.
Very sad to see this run end! Unexpected double battles are a killer in the Pyramid. You did great though and I've really enjoyed seeing you come so far, well done.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)