Gen 5 Gen 5 Merciless STAB team

Hey there folks, I'm t04ster, your local Gen 5 OU enthusiast. I'm not new to building teams, but I decided to build a Gen 5 OU team with a few UnderUsed sweepers that can mercilessly stab other people's teams most of the time, and the primary big guns in the OU metagame. This team got me to a 1170 elo at most, it's not my most solid team but I like it a lot overall. Well, let's cover all the Pokemon now.

Azelf @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Nasty Plot
- Psyshock
- Thunderbolt
- Flamethrower

I have decided to add Azelf as a lead mon to this team, due to the fact that it has excellent Speed and Special Attack stats. It's an UnderUsed special sweeping beast that other teams will have difficulty handling in this matter. With Nasty Plot in it's arsenal along with other Special attacking moves, it allows Azelf to boost to maximum raw damage to handle a ton of common threats like Gengar, Scizor and Starmie/RotomWash. It's even better with the Life Orb equipped in hand, as it gives Azelf even more priority to damage vigorous threats ASAP. It's barely seen in common teams, but it's an underrated sweeper that can cripple teams very quickly.

Latios (M) @ Dragon Gem
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpA
Bold Nature
- Dragon Pulse
- Recover
- Substitute
- Calm Mind

Latios is my Physically Defensive Pokemon included in the team. After watching a large array of Gen 5 OU battles, I decided to give Latios a shot, Substitute style. I added Substitute to it's moveset to allow Latios to Calm Mind safely and avoid common OHKOs, as well as having the gift of crippling threatening sweepers. Calm Mind will boost Latios' power and defense, and when it reaches the maximum capacity of spamming Calm Mind, then it'll be able to tank Ice type moves like Ice Beam, as well as Shadow Ball and Dark Pulse. It has access to Dragon Pulse STAB along with full access to the Dragon Gem, which boosts the power of the move breathtakingly.

Heatran @ Air Balloon
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Fire Blast
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Toxic
- Iron Head

I decided to go Heatran due to it's great typing and Flash Fire priority. It's the Fire-type powerhouse of Gen 5 OU. It's my Specially Defensive mon, as well as being able to knockout Scizor, Ferrothorn and other common mons that are susceptible to Heatran's power. I added HP grass and Toxic to his moveset so it can debuff common threats and counter Water type mons in teams. It is incredibly vulnerable to common Ground type moves like Earthquake, as it can OHKO our boy Heatran. However, in the first turn it is equipped with an Air Balloon so it can counter Ground type attackers and stay safe. This mon has a ton of roles that can cripple teams no matter if it's offense, defense or support.

Kingdra @ Life Orb
Ability: Swift Swim
Modest Nature
- Rain Dance
- Hydro Pump
- Dragon Pulse
- Dragon Dance

I decided to go for Kingdra since I needed a solid Water-type that had the guts to take some super effective attacks. This mon has the most solid stats and typing in my team, as it can survive Ice, Electric, and Grass type moves. It is also gifted Swift Swim and Rain Dance as a part of its moveset, which doubles its speed allowing more efficient momentum, and setting up with Dragon Dance for raw SpAtk and extra Speed stats, giving it Hydro Pump and Dragon Pulse STAB to crush threats at first glance. This makes Kingdra a very dangerous sweeper to other people's teams as they cannot handle the glorious gift of incredibly high Speed and SpAtk.

Sawsbuck @ Life Orb
Ability: Sap Sipper
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Nature Power
- Swords Dance
- Horn Leech
- Aromatherapy

I've been looking through a ton of searches for a grass type and found a NeverUsed, but great in power; Sawsbuck. Being dropped in the Never Used tier, it actually has a ton of roles; team status effect curing, sweeping and healing to stay in the game. Nature Power in its moveset is like a bootleg Earthquake- countering prime threats like Heatran. Swords Dance gives it even more raw damage, allowing it to heal with Horn Leech in return. Sawsbuck can cure the entire team with Aromatherapy and get a late-game sweep after setting up with Swords Dance. It's barely used, and it's suprisingly powerful in general.

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
Naive Nature
- Focus Blast
- U-turn
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Ice]

I needed an offense Intimdiate and a mon with good typing, so I went for the most common mon in Gen 5 teams; Landorus-T. It has access to Intimidate, which can lower Physical attackers' Attack every time it switches in. It also has U-Turn which can OHKO Psychic/Dark types, let sweepers enter safely, and go first in most cases. Focus Blast can decimate a ton of other threats. Coming with HP ice, it can cripple Garchomp, Gliscor, Dragonite and other key threats, and STAB Earthquake that can destroy Heatran and other mons that are 2x vulnerable to Ground type moves in the metagame.

Thank you for reading my Gen 5 OU RMT, feedback would be very appreciated.

Last edited:

FNH

F is for Finchi, N is for Nator, H is for Hater
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
A little late with a response here but I think I can suggest stuff that will help you out. The first thing here is you dont have a hazard setter. I could list calc after calc at the importance of Stealth rocks, but for simplicity all I'm going to say is that the chip it grants is extremely important, often determening whether you get a KO or not, and on a offensive build like this, ensuring you get the Ko's is very important as your team isn't going to be taking many hits. You have several options here that can run Stealth rock. It could fit on your Heatran, Landorus-Therian, or your Azelf. So unless you are expecting to lead Azelf every game, it doesn't work on him (He is to frail to reliably come in. Given that he also has the Life orb, his life span in the game is even further diminished). This leaves us with Heatran and Landorus-Therian. Landorus is always a reliable Stealth Rock setter, so we can go with him. Place Stealth Rocks over Focus Blast, because Focus blast really isnt really going to do anything. This is for if you intend to keep this 6 as your team. As this continues, I will be suggesting larger changes to the team.

So now that we have a Stealth Rock setter, we need to figure out the rest of the team. Spikes stack is very problematic to you, as each set of hazards and spikes added dimishes the life span of your 3 life orb users. This compounded with having to take a hit on the swap + the very likely Sand Storm chip really means that your team is going to stacked and stalled (Ferrothorn can stack on your Sawsbuck and Landorus, and your answers to Ferrothorn have very finite HP). Really only your Azelf and Heatran can touch him, but Tyranitar can easily trap Azelf, and Rotom-Wash can come in on your Heatran no problem (both are very very common Pokemon).

Basically what I'm trying to say is the team isn't as you describe, merciless. Against common team archtypes, it's quite passive. We could make some changes here that will help you out, but its very hard with out a proper understanding of the baseline strategy behind your team. If you replace your Sawsbuck with say Magnezone, you could trap Ferrothorn, making room for your Kingdra to sweep, but you will need some answers for Rotom-Wash who is very able to tank hits from Kingdra. Excadrill could also work there as well, helping remove entry hazards further reducing the chip your team take. Both these options though, further increase the hole an opposing Latios can tear into your team. Kingdra here is going to be helpful vs the rain, but Ferrothorn can Tentacruel (both are staple mons of any rain team) stall your Kingdra out, then Thundurus-Therian subs on your heatran and opens your team up.

If we change Azelf to Tyranitar and Sawsbuck to Excadrill, we eliminate the Latios weakness and give you an answer to spike stacks. This helps with the Rain as well, but Kingdra is a definite no go on the sand. Not to mention the end product here is going to be quite a different team then what you have here (probably end up with something like :tyranitar::rotom-wash::latios::heatran::Excadrill::landorus-therian: which with further set changes could be good enough).

Well with that long essay over with, I think immediate changes here would be :breloom:>:sawsbuck:. Breloom really is problematic at the moment and gives a lot of common sand teams some trouble. Landorus-Therain using U-turn to pivot will provide Breloom ample opportunity to come in, and he is also a reliable rotom-wash Switch in. Easy set to use is just a standard Bulk Up Breloom. It's certainly not an end all fix here, but is a start to helping your team. He can help break, making space for your Latios and Kingdra later on.

:breloom:
Breloom @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 236 HP / 252 SpD / 20 Spe
Careful Nature
- Bulk Up
- Drain Punch
- Seed Bomb
- Protect
There are still some problems here. Next I would :Rotom-Wash: > :Azelf: It won't fix everything, but it helps increase your ability to take hits, and not adding a spikes weakness. Spreading Will o' Wisp through out your opponents team makes room for your Kingdra later in the game (assuming you do actually get the Will o' Miss hit on Ferrothorn). Volt Switch lets you pivot and bring Breloom in more often.

:Rotom-wash:
Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 20 Def / 240 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 14 Spe
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split
I think for the last change we certainly need some sort of answer to Latios. Rotom can only handle so much (vs Specs Latios, he can't really handle anything). A lot as it stands doesn't fit. I was thinking a Spdef Scizor here, but as I progressed through the rate, I think your best bet is Spdef :Jirachi: > :Heatran: with Stealth Rock and having Landorus-Therian with the Choice Scarf. Unless I am missing something here, this is the easiest was to go about it. It gives us a better answer to Latios, and Jirachi can tank some special hits here. As far as I can tell its the best option as it stands bar a full redo of the team.

:Landorus-Therian:
Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 72 HP / 140 Atk / 60 Def / 236 Spe
Naive Nature
IVs: 30 Spe
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Knock Off
- U-turn
:Jirachi:
Jirachi @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 224 HP / 236 SpD / 32 Spe
Careful Nature
- U-turn
- Thunder
- Stealth Rock
- Iron Head
Lastly, drop Dragon Dance on :Kingdra: I really don't understand what that will do to help you out here since Rain Dance is all you need. Im also not a huge fan of the LO on Kingdra, but if you like it you can keep it. Just change Dragon Dance to Ice Beam or Surf. Which ever floats your boat.

:Rotom-wash::Latios::Breloom::Kingdra::Jirachi::Landorus-Therian:
Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 20 Def / 240 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 14 Spe
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

Latios (M) @ Dragon Gem
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Dragon Pulse
- Recover
- Surf
- Calm Mind

Breloom @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 248 HP / 224 SpD / 36 Spe
Careful Nature
- Bulk Up
- Seed Bomb
- Drain Punch
- Protect

Kingdra @ Life Orb
Modest Nature
- Rain Dance
- Hydro Pump
- Dragon Pulse
- Ice Beam

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 224 HP / 236 SpD / 32 Spe
Careful Nature
- U-turn
- Thunder
- Stealth Rock
- Iron Head

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 72 HP / 140 Atk / 60 Def / 236 Spe
Naive Nature
IVs: 30 Spe
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Knock Off
- U-turn

Apologies if this is quite long, and I wouldn't say the changes here are perfect, but I do think they are a start to something better. The final product is quite different from your original 6. I still think spikes and hazards are going to be quite problematic, but these changes should help minimize Ferrothorns opportunity to stack. The team is a little more defensively sound as well I think. Hope I helped!

Last edited:
Hey there folks, I'm t04ster, your local Gen 5 OU enthusiast. I'm not new to building teams, but I decided to build a Gen 5 OU team with a few UnderUsed sweepers that can mercilessly stab other people's teams most of the time, and the primary big guns in the OU metagame. This team got me to a 1170 elo at most, it's not my most solid team but I like it a lot overall. Well, let's cover all the Pokemon now.

Azelf @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Psyshock
- Thunderbolt
- Flamethrower

I have decided to add Azelf as a lead mon to this team, due to the fact that it has excellent Speed and Special Attack stats. It's an UnderUsed special sweeping beast that other teams will have difficulty handling in this matter. With Nasty Plot in it's arsenal along with other Special attacking moves, it allows Azelf to boost to maximum raw damage to handle a ton of common threats like Gengar, Scizor and Starmie/RotomWash. It's even better with the Life Orb equipped in hand, as it gives Azelf even more priority to damage vigorous threats ASAP. It's barely seen in common teams, but it's an underrated sweeper that can cripple teams very quickly.

Latios (M) @ Dragon Gem
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpA
Bold Nature
- Dragon Pulse
- Recover
- Substitute
- Calm Mind

Latios is my Physically Defensive Pokemon included in the team. After watching a large array of Gen 5 OU battles, I decided to give Latios a shot, Substitute style. I added Substitute to it's moveset to allow Latios to Calm Mind safely and avoid common OHKOs, as well as having the gift of crippling threatening sweepers. Calm Mind will boost Latios' power and defense, and when it reaches the maximum capacity of spamming Calm Mind, then it'll be able to tank Ice type moves like Ice Beam, as well as Shadow Ball and Dark Pulse. It has access to Dragon Pulse STAB along with full access to the Dragon Gem, which boosts the power of the move breathtakingly.

Heatran @ Air Balloon
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Fire Blast
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Toxic
- Iron Head

I decided to go Heatran due to it's great typing and Flash Fire priority. It's the Fire-type powerhouse of Gen 5 OU. It's my Specially Defensive mon, as well as being able to knockout Scizor, Ferrothorn and other common mons that are susceptible to Heatran's power. I added HP grass and Toxic to his moveset so it can debuff common threats and counter Water type mons in teams. It is incredibly vulnerable to common Ground type moves like Earthquake, as it can OHKO our boy Heatran. However, in the first turn it is equipped with an Air Balloon so it can counter Ground type attackers and stay safe. This mon has a ton of roles that can cripple teams no matter if it's offense, defense or support.

Kingdra @ Life Orb
Modest Nature
- Rain Dance
- Hydro Pump
- Dragon Pulse
- Dragon Dance

I decided to go for Kingdra since I needed a solid Water-type that had the guts to take some super effective attacks. This mon has the most solid stats and typing in my team, as it can survive Ice, Electric, and Grass type moves. It is also gifted Swift Swim and Rain Dance as a part of its moveset, which doubles its speed allowing more efficient momentum, and setting up with Dragon Dance for raw SpAtk and extra Speed stats, giving it Hydro Pump and Dragon Pulse STAB to crush threats at first glance. This makes Kingdra a very dangerous sweeper to other people's teams as they cannot handle the glorious gift of incredibly high Speed and SpAtk.

Sawsbuck @ Life Orb
Ability: Sap Sipper
Hasty Nature
- Nature Power
- Swords Dance
- Horn Leech
- Aromatherapy

I've been looking through a ton of searches for a grass type and found a NeverUsed, but great in power; Sawsbuck. Being dropped in the Never Used tier, it actually has a ton of roles; team status effect curing, sweeping and healing to stay in the game. Nature Power in its moveset is like a bootleg Earthquake- countering prime threats like Heatran. Swords Dance gives it even more raw damage, allowing it to heal with Horn Leech in return. Sawsbuck can cure the entire team with Aromatherapy and get a late-game sweep after setting up with Swords Dance. It's barely used, and it's suprisingly powerful in general.

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Leftovers
Naive Nature
- Focus Blast
- U-turn
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Ice]

I needed an offense Intimdiate and a mon with good typing, so I went for the most common mon in Gen 5 teams; Landorus-T. It has access to Intimidate, which can lower Physical attackers' Attack every time it switches in. It also has U-Turn which can OHKO Psychic/Dark types, let sweepers enter safely, and go first in most cases. Focus Blast can decimate a ton of other threats. Coming with HP ice, it can cripple Garchomp, Gliscor, Dragonite and other key threats, and STAB Earthquake that can destroy Heatran and other mons that are 2x vulnerable to Ground type moves in the metagame.

Thank you for reading my Gen 5 OU RMT, feedback would be very appreciated.
I really don't see reason to have Focus Miss on Landorus-T. a better option is using Superpower off its higher Attack stat and U-turn does not OHKO but mostly will do Heavy Damage.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)