Gen 5 Gen 5 Mamoswine Sand

I've come up with an interesting idea trying to counter common rain teams. There's a small weakness in trying o take care of fighting types such as Conkeldurr, Terrakion, Breloom, etc... so if there is any ideas to fix this issue please make improvisations.

Tyranitar (M) @ Chople Berry
Ability: Sand Stream
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Crunch
- Stone Edge
- Thunder Punch
- Dragon Dance

Ttar doesn't necessarily hold any specific role outside of establishing the weather advantage. Thunderpunch is here to counter common mons that are mainstays on common rain teams such as Keldeo, Politoed, Tentacruel, etc.. I realize that thunderpunch isn't very strong against these pokemon without a boost but that's why i use it on ddance rather than on a mixed set as i would prefer thunder if it was a mixed or special variant. Crunch and Stone Edge is just standard.

Keldeo-Resolute @ Choice Specs
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 2 Atk / 30 SpA
- Hydro Pump
- Scald
- Secret Sword
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Keldeo is probably the most important part of this team as without Keldeo, this team completely falls apart if sand is not up. Hydro Pump is here just to abuse the pure power that Keldeo has in rain as it 2hko's nearly anything not named Blissey or Gastrodon. Scald is here to take care of physical offense mons and crippling them with burns. Secret Sword needs no further explanation and HP Grass is here to take care of common counters such as Starmie, Slowking, Rotom W, etc..

Excadrill (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Sand Force
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide
- Rapid Spin

Drill is here for to establish offensive pressure against common defensive mons and spin blockers while using rapid spin support to maintain stability for the other mons that are put in vulnerable positions from hazard stacking teams. Sand Force is here instead of Mold Breaker because it provides the additional damage necessary to maintain pressure otherwise there's I would just go with a standard utility drill set. I originally went with scarf but that hindered it's ability to create holes in teams that I need to put the nail in the coffin instead going for life orb to add to make drill that much more damaging.

Heatran (M) @ Air Balloon
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Lava Plume
- Earth Power
- Toxic
- Protect

Heatran is here to 2 specific reasons, 1. to put pressure on the ever-present ferrothorn that is everywhere, and 2. absorb special hits in a pinch to prevent a sweep from set up mons such as CM reuniclus. Outside of that it's nothing different from your average spdef Heatran.

Mamoswine (M) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Thick Fat
Jolly Nature
- Ice Shard
- Icicle Crash
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock

I've experimented with common Drag-mag teams and the results that Mamo gets have led me to believe that Mamo is severely underrated and is far more useful than the usage stats would say. Obviously, Mamo holds a similar role to what is has in Drag-mag teams preventing the Garchomps and Latios from setting up and sweeping, keeps steel-type mons from running wild if Keldeo and Heatran are down. And finally, It sets up rocks to hinder mons like Volcarona and flying types. I preferred sash because of it's relatively low speed tier for BW OU.

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

Rotom-W was not my preferred defensive mon but because I don't have a mon to get momentum I decided to use it instead of a mon like Forretress that would hurt the pace of the team. Again, just a standard defensive Rotom Set.

If there are modifications that you find for this team, please provide input and I will see if the adjustments work accordingly.

i think oblivious mamoswine will be better than thick fat because ur item is focus sash, u dont need thick fat

As far as modifications l'd suggest a Celebi set with U-Turn, I can see a Keldeo doing massive damage to this team since you don't have a real solid answer to a Scarfed Doe if it gets in on something slower then it while keeping momentum up with it.

I personally really like Mamo sets with Never-Melt Ice and Substitue as opposed to what you have now, that way you can focus on checking Latios much better with it (Since you lack Pursuit on your Tar) as well as Thundurus. Mamoswine for my tastes is usually bulky enough to take one solid hit anyways so long as it isn't something super strong. The Icicle Crash boost on neutral targets is also significant. Since your Heatran is so bulky I feel as if Stealth Rocks would be much better on it then Mamo would, even Superpower might be better though I can see the drawbacks of this, Ice+Ground hits almost everything for neutral coverage and Ferro doesn't "just take' Icicle Crash as well as you'd think, especially since it can flinch so Sub let's you punish switches harder then rocks. I agree that I think Mamo is heavily underated as it deters Dragons from doing as they please so well.

Perish Song

flaunt
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Hello, not a BW expert but want to share my thoughts.

:Heatran: :air-balloon: > :leftovers:

This team is extremely weak to Sash Alakazam. Tyranitar gets OHKOed even under Sandstorm, and lack of Leftovers on Heatran means it can only come in to Alakazam limited amount of times during the match. The fact that Alakazam can come in via voltturn and threathen the entire team is unsatisfying, and with Leftovers it gives you great odds to stall out Focus Blast with the help of Protect and also handle many other threats. I also believe in a meta like BW Air Balloon has very little niche and only ever sees usage in trapper mons (literally only Magnezone) therefore Air Balloon is easily broken on a Pokemon like Heatran. (It has uses and Air Balloon Heatran has seen usage in SPL, but with Magma Storm, Sunny Day and Solar Beam set to trap certain Water-types such as Gastrodon.) In short Leftovers is much more consistent and offers a lot more.

:Rotom-wash: > :Celebi:

This team is also very weak to Rain itself, albeit the team's goal itself is to have a upper hand against Rain. You have no good switchins to Keldeo, you have no good defensive answers to Politoed itself which will happily distribute Burn to your entire team, and your very own Keldeo will likely get bodied by the opposing Tentacruel, which also spreads status. Moreover the lack of Pursuit on Tyranitar means you drop your advantage on trapping Politoed if it ever goes low HP. Celebi is a good tool here to patch most of those weaknesses. Solid defenses and Grass-typing means a good Keldeo switchin, Natural Cure absorbs whatever bullshit Politoed and Tentacruel throws at you, while also single handedly threathening most components of rain cores barring Ferrothorn.

Last edited:

NuttyRabbit

Banned deucer.
In addition to the advice given above, I would also change the Tyranitar set to something like this

:bw/Tyranitar:

Tyranitar @ Chople Berry
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 248 HP / 88 Atk / 156 SpD / 16 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock /Thunder Wave/Ice Beam
- Crunch
- Superpower
- Pursuit

The spread is stolen from Finch's sand offense sample but you can adjust it however you like. The point is, this Tyranitar gives you the out vs Latios you desperately need at the moment by being able to take any two hits and trap it. You can go Rocks here and free up Tran and Mamo to run other stuff but if you go rocks on any of those, any of the other options I slashed should work

Hello, not a BW expert but want to share my thoughts.

:Heatran: :air-balloon: > :leftovers:

This team is extremely weak to Sash Alakazam. Tyranitar gets OHKOed even under Sandstorm, and lack of Leftovers on Heatran means it can only come in to Alakazam limited amount of times during the match. The fact that Alakazam can come in via voltturn and threathen the entire team is unsatisfying, and with Leftovers it gives you great odds to stall out Focus Blast with the help of Protect and also handle many other threats. I also believe in a meta like BW Air Balloon has very little niche and only ever sees usage in trapper mons (literally only Magnezone) therefore Air Balloon is easily broken on a Pokemon like Heatran. (It has uses and Air Balloon Heatran has seen usage in SPL, but with Magma Storm, Sunny Day and Solar Beam set to trap certain Water-types such as Gastrodon.) In short Leftovers is much more consistent and offers a lot more.

:Rotom-wash: > :Celebi:

This team is also very weak to Rain itself, albeit the team's goal itself is to have a upper hand against Rain. You have no good switchins to Keldeo, you have no good defensive answers to Politoed itself which will happily distribute Burn to your entire team, and your very own Keldeo will likely get bodied by the opposing Tentacruel, which also spreads status. Moreover the lack of Pursuit on Tyranitar means you drop your advantage on trapping Politoed if it ever goes low HP. Celebi is a good tool here to patch most of those weaknesses. Solid defenses and Grass-typing means a good Keldeo switchin, Natural Cure absorbs whatever bullshit Politoed and Tentacruel throws at you, while also single handedly threathening most components of rain cores barring Ferrothorn.
Nice...

Gamer1234556

"Because... Scald is a shit Ferro answer!!!"
This is probs a dead thread but I will bring my input anyways.

Excadrill (M) @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide
- Rapid Spin

Drill is here for to establish offensive pressure against common defensive mons and spin blockers while using rapid spin support to maintain stability for the other mons that are put in vulnerable positions from hazard stacking teams. Sand Force is here instead of Mold Breaker because it provides the additional damage necessary to maintain pressure otherwise there's I would just go with a standard utility drill set. I originally went with scarf but that hindered it's ability to create holes in teams that I need to put the nail in the coffin instead going for life orb to add to make drill that much more damaging.
I would defo replace this with this current set here:

Excadrill @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Protect
- Rapid Spin

Excadrill doesn't really have reliable recovery so you are really going to be in trouble if you use this set.

Generally speaking, I get that this team is outdated to today's standards but if you want to use a Mamo Sand Team, I would suggest modelling it similarly to this team Caetano93 used in the current SPL.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)