Pokémon Garchomp

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been running this set on him, and it works like a charm. Just make sure to have a fighting or steel type such as mega lucario or scizor for support against fairies and ice types.
Garchomp Life Orb
4 HP/252 Atk/252 Speed
Adamant/Jolly nature
- Swords Dance
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge (for volcarona, gyarados, slower ice types, etc.)
Whenever I get that swords dance in, which I do most of the time, I usually sweep through the whole person's team easily.

So i was trying to come up with an efficient spread for Mega Garchomp and i could use some feedback. This is mostly a set to crush stall.

Garchomp @Garchompite
176 Atk/120 SpA/212 Spe
Hasty/Naive nature
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

176 atk is to beat Chansey in the sand:

• 176 Atk Sand Force Mega Garchomp Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey in Sand: 330-388 (46.8 - 55.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after sandstorm damage

212 Spe is to outrun neutral base 100s but i'm also considering running enough to beat adamant Exca which lets me wind down to 124 Spe and then jack up Atk or SpA. 212 also seems like a bit too much since my aim is to beat stall.

Dump the remaining 120 into SpA though 52 Spa is enough to kill phys Hippo, phys Rotom-W Quagsire, and Gliscor:

• 52 SpA Mega Garchomp Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Hippowdon: 225-265 (53.5 - 63%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
  • 52 SpA Mega Garchomp Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Gliscor: 217-256 (61.2 - 72.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Poison Heal

• 52 SpA Mega Garchomp Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Rotom-W: 162-192 (53.2 - 63.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

• 52 SpA Mega Garchomp Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Quagsire: 244-288 (61.9 - 73%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

• 120 SpA Mega Garchomp Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Ferrothorn: 268-316 (76.1 - 89.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Though 88Spa is enough to kill phys def Ferro:
  • 88 SpA Mega Garchomp Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Ferrothorn: 352-416 (100 - 118.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Any suggestions?

Are there any notable OHKOs i should be going for?

Edit: Formatting & moar calcs

Last edited:

dialganet

Banned deucer.
So i was trying to come up with an efficient spread for Mega Garchomp and i could use some feedback. This is mostly a set to crush stall.

Garchomp @Garchompite
176 Atk/120 SpA/212 Spe
Hasty/Naive nature
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

• 176 Atk Sand Force Mega Garchomp Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey in Sand: 330-388 (46.8 - 55.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after sandstorm damage

212 Spe is to outrun neutral base 100s but i'm also considering running enough to beat adamant Exca which lets me wind down to 124 Spe and then jack up Atk or SpA. 212 also seems like a bit too much since my aim is to beat stall.

Dump the remaining 120 into SpA though 52 Spa is enough to kill phys Hippo, phys Rotom-W Quagsire, and Gliscor:

• 52 SpA Mega Garchomp Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Hippowdon: 225-265 (53.5 - 63%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
  • 52 SpA Mega Garchomp Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Gliscor: 217-256 (61.2 - 72.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Poison Heal

• 52 SpA Mega Garchomp Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Rotom-W: 162-192 (53.2 - 63.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

• 52 SpA Mega Garchomp Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Quagsire: 244-288 (61.9 - 73%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

• 120 SpA Mega Garchomp Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Ferrothorn: 268-316 (76.1 - 89.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
  • 88 SpA Mega Garchomp Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Ferrothorn: 352-416 (100 - 118.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Any suggestions?

Well, I had kinda the same idea, but I stayed on a more nuking set and I added Sticky-web support. Assuming Mega Manectric as benchmark (nothing relevant above 135 base speed and a positive nature: there's only Deo speed which you won't outspeed in this world, MAerodactyl which is immune and M-Zam who sucks), and level 50 (sorry, but I only play on wifi) you only need 116 evs and a positive nature to ouspeed Mmane after SW. Investing 252 in attack, you kave 132 spare evs to put in special attack, which turns Mchomp in an outright offensive demon: this turns Mchomp offensive stats to... 222/157/139 with SW support. I'm intentioned to run naive, for reference.
Why 132 in Spatk? Well:

132 SpA Mega Garchomp Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Skarmory: 146-172 (84.8 - 100%) -- 75% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
132 SpA Mega Garchomp Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Ferrothorn: 156-188 (86.1 - 103.8%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock (Ferrothorn is rarely seen with such special investment, you will straight up fry every other set).
252 Atk Mega Garchomp Outrage vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 162-192 (45.3 - 53.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Mega Garchomp Outrage vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mandibuzz: 88-105 (40.5 - 48.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
or
252 Atk Mega Garchomp Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mandibuzz: 98-116 (45.1 - 53.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
All Mandi can do is to:
4 Atk Mandibuzz Foul Play vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Garchomp: 88-105 (47.8 - 57%) -- 89.8% chance to 2HKO

This is MegaChomp wallbreaking potential without an attacking enhancing nature. Pretty scary. Do you guys think this kind of set is somewhat viable in absence of SW? Anyway, I'll feedback after some serious testing.

Garchomp @Garchompite
176 Atk/120 SpA/212 Spe
Hasty/Naive nature
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

Any suggestions?

most of those 2HKOs don't factor in the SpA drop.

don't know if this has been suggested yet, but a mild or rash nature is definitely worth looking into for the chainchomp set. you would want this over hasty because realistically you aren't going to be outspeeding much of anything with base 92 speed and I really don't think having a boosting nature really matters. the boosted power from having the nature boost sp atk is more appreciated imo because that just makes your dracos and fire blasts all the more deadly. while base 92 speed is great and all for a tanky pokemon that can boost its speed (ttar), garchomp has no speed boosting moves and therefore hasy or naïve is unnecessary. if you want you could go attack boosting nature, but with base 170 atk, after an sd, if your opponent cant kill you first, theyre dead, regardless of nature. so boost that spatk instead of speed.
edit: if garchomp got any speed boosting moves, that would be perfect for MGarchomp and Hasty or naïve would be necessary

Ash Borer mentioned a similar set in the Guide to Lures in OU thread with a Lum Berry and Outrage over Dragon Claw. This thing just shits all over Rotom-W. Block the Volt Switch, SD on the WoW, Sub for the next WoW, and let the wreckage ensue.
on that note, i run that exact tire for garchonp, and its never failed me
heres the full spread, with a few tweaks that im trying out (i do not take credit for the original submission)

Substitute + Swords Dance
Garchompite Adamant/Jolly
4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe

Moveset EVs
~ Substitute
~ Swords Dance
~ Outrage / Dragon Claw / Poison Jab
~ Earthquake

"Garchomp doesn't hide; Garchomp tactically retreats behind a Substitute"
Garchomp's an absolute beast in any tier no matter how you look at it, and with the jump in base attack to 170 when it switches to mega, its even more of a threat in the new generation. However, with the new Fairy type doing laps on the land shark, along with the minor deduction in base speed, leaves this ferocious monster a bit more to handle then what it normally deals with. Never fear, there is always a way around little complications like this, and it happens to come in a relatively old, but well used, set: the sub-dance.

With a slight decrease in speed, Mega Garchomp has a lot to deal with in terms of scarfed foes and wall checks, but this can be remedied with a quick Substitute followed by a Swords Dance. this allows it to take a hit or two when being switched in by the opponent and retaliate with either a standard Dragon Claw / Outrage (although Dragon Claw is best recommended since its the "safer" option) or an Earthquake for anything that can take a dragon type move. for those who feel that Substitute just won't do it in certain situations, or if you have a pesky Fairy giving you a little more trouble than its worth, you can switch out Dragon Claw / Outrage with Poison Jab. that way you'll get to even the playing field with Fairies, letting Poison Jab take them out with style.

Whats interesting to consider is the fact that Pokemon X and Y takes the turn you switched Garchomp into its mega form and considers it as a normal Garchomp. This means that its Base Speed will still be at its trolling level of 102 that turn, giving you even more possibilities in setting up your land shark for its killer sweep. It will lets you switch into substitute far faster then if you did mid-match and set up Swords Dance the next turn without taking too much of a beating to its health, assuming you time its mega form with when your opponent switches out their Pokemon for a Fairy. After the boost in attack, even with the slower base Speed stat Mega Garchomp will still wreck Havoc amongst your opponents with that handy dandy Dragon Claw and Earthquake.

as with natures if you want the most out of Garchomp when it comes to destructive power always go with the Adamant nature, but if you feel that, even with all the pointers above, Garchomp still won't be good enough for your team, try a Jolly nature and that should remedy any concerns you have for its not-so-stellar decrease in Speed.

so yeah thats what ive got for the land shark. this set has never done me wrong in the past, and has always come through when i needed it most. give it a try and let me know what you think. if anyone knows a good team or pokemon that could support this Garchomp let me know and ill give it a whirl.

Last edited:
I love mega Chomps but i found this to be a better moveset: Iron Head,Earthquake,Outrage,Swords Dance. 252Ev-Atk 252-Spd 4-Hp. Item-Garchompite,or Choice Scarf.Adamant Nature (Atk up,SpAtk)Very promising set.

Aragorn the King

Literally a duck
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
I love mega Chomps but i found this to be a better moveset: Iron Head,Earthquake,Outrage,Swords Dance. 252Ev-Atk 252-Spd 4-Hp. Item-Garchompite,or Choice Scarf.Adamant Nature (Atk up,SpAtk)Very promising set.
Well, you definitely shouldn't use swords dance and choice scarf together. I'd recommend fire blast on a scarf set instead.

Hey guys, I was wondering whether this was a decent moveset for ScarfChomp
Garchomp @Choice Scarf
4 Hp/252 Atk/252 Spe
Jolly nature
- Outrage
- Iron Head
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge/Fire Fang

I think Outrage is a little to risky to use on a choice set, sure the power is incredible, but you miss one prediction and you will most likely loose your chomp. I personally use this set:
Garchomp @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 SAtk
Naive Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Dragon Claw
- Fire Blast

So I've noticed all these speedy Mega-Garchomps, which I don't entirely understand due to Megachomps mediocre speed and great bulk. I decided to make a bulky set that goes as follows:
Garchomp @ Garchompite
Ability: Sand Force
EVs: 116 HP/252 Atk/80 Sp.Atk/ 60 Spd
Brave NAture
- Earthquake
- Outrage
- Stone Edge
- Fire Blast

252 Atk is for the most firepower possible, 80 Sp.Atk to always OHKO Ferrothorn and about a 50% chance to OHKO Skarmory after rocks. 60 Spd outspeeds speed-creeping Rotom-W, while the rest is put into bulk. She has a Brave nature as speed is the lowest stat so it would take more EVs to repair that, and this set designed as a bulky attacker.

Hey guys,

Im new to smogon and competitive battling in general and just wanted to see what everyone thought of the M-Garchomp set im working on?

Basic idea is for a solid physical attacker, taking advantage of megachomps increased bulk and Sand Force, after baton passing from Scolipede (hopefully with a swords dance and 1 - 2 speed boosts).

Garchomp @ Garchompite
Ability: Sand Veil
EV's: 252 Atk, 172 HP, 80 Spe
- Sandstorm
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw

So what do you think? Keep in mind this build is for the cartridge and Battle spot. Cheers.

Hey guys,

Im new to smogon and competitive battling in general and just wanted to see what everyone thought of the M-Garchomp set im working on?

Basic idea is for a solid physical attacker, taking advantage of megachomps increased bulk and Sand Force, after baton passing from Scolipede (hopefully with a swords dance and 1 - 2 speed boosts).

Garchomp @ Garchompite
Ability: Sand Veil
EV's: 252 Atk, 172 HP, 80 Spe
- Sandstorm
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw

So what do you think? Keep in mind this build is for the cartridge and Battle spot. Cheers.
Interesting set! I do have some minor criticisms for you though.
Firstly, running a Weather-inducing move (Sandstorm) is pretty much obsolete in this current day and age of Pokemon. With the Sand Stream ability, you should no longer have to waste a turn to use the move 'Sandstorm.' If you really want to make use of Sand Force ability, then add a Hippowdown or Tyranitar to your team - both get the Sand Stream ability which automatically sets up a Sandstorm upon switch in. In place of Sandstorm you could teach Garchomp Fire Fang to deal with Skarmory, or perhaps Outrage to help sweep.

Also, I'm a bit curious about your EV spread. What's the 80 Speed for?

I currently run this set:

Garchomp @ Garchompite
EV Spreads: 4HP / 252ATK / 252 Speed
Jolly Nature
Moveset:
Swords Dance
Dragon Claw
Earthquake
Stone Edge

I personally don't see the point of poison jab. I mean, sure, it will hit the likes of azumarril and togekiss upon switch in, but honestly, if you catch your opponent upon switching, you might as well swords dance and earthquake / stone edge will do the job. I think poison jab is what, 80BP? It's only a 10BP difference between super effective poison jab and earthquake.

If I know i'm not going to be hit by an attack due to switching, I normally don't mega evolve just to save the speed. 252+ speed and 102base speed outspeeds a lot of my threats, and when it's time to hit I finally mega evolve =) just some considerations

Swords dance mega chomp is an incredible wall breaker. With my current set, one swords danced earthquake against ferrothorn will take 92% of it's health. I'm pretty sure a fully invested ATK spread will ohko most walls.

A swords danced stone edge against skarmory will do about 47% damage. Never mind them criticals, if the opponent whirlwinds against another threat to skarmory, you'll probably get a free turn to do some heavy damage against the opponent.

I kind of feel bad for Garchomp because of A: His mega form nerfs his speed and leaves him just that little bit more vulnerable to choice scarf users and B: The nerf to weather leaves him crippled even more because he cant make as good a use from his Sand Force as he used to, other then those to gripes though, hes a solid pokemon but I think Life Orb would be a bit safer then using Mega so you can keep his awesome speed at the max it can be without having to boost it back to normal

I use the mega version combined to Scolipede and Klefki. Isn't that difficult to set up dual screens, and pass 2+ speed and 2+ attack on Garchomp, and from that moment on, it's hammer time. The only time he could not one shot something was against a Swampert.

I use the mega version combined to Scolipede and Klefki. Isn't that difficult to set up dual screens, and pass 2+ speed and 2+ attack on Garchomp, and from that moment on, it's hammer time. The only time he could not one shot something was against a Swampert.
That's a valid point, Mega-G is amazing with a good team to back him up like any good sweeper, but I meant Life Orb Garchomp is more of a threat without needing to depend on the rest of his team to set up for him, I used to be able to send out my Garchomp and have him IMMEDIATELY go to town on whatever was in front of him
Then again, I didn't use Garchomp very much at all, I tended to lean more towards Salamance for a dragon type, that or Dragonite

That's a valid point, Mega-G is amazing with a good team to back him up like any good sweeper, but I meant Life Orb Garchomp is more of a threat without needing to depend on the rest of his team to set up for him, I used to be able to send out my Garchomp and have him IMMEDIATELY go to town on whatever was in front of him
Then again, I didn't use Garchomp very much at all, I tended to lean more towards Salamance for a dragon type, that or Dragonite
I know, me too usually stick to the normal one, especially as scarfed revenge killer. The main problem for the mega is the speed, so something like baton pass or SW makes it much more avaiable. Btw, that's why I recommend pairing this trio with another physical attacker, so to pass the boost to him, depending on the occasion.
In the end, the game is woth the candle. Given the occasion at least one or two enemies will go down. The problems are burn, and the occasional miss on Stone Edge of Fire Blast, which can totally ruin the day.

I know, me too usually stick to the normal one, especially as scarfed revenge killer. The main problem for the mega is the speed, so something like baton pass or SW makes it much more avaiable. Btw, that's why I recommend pairing this trio with another physical attacker, so to pass the boost to him, depending on the occasion.
In the end, the game is woth the candle. Given the occasion at least one or two enemies will go down. The problems are burn, and the occasional miss on Stone Edge of Fire Blast, which can totally ruin the day.
Agreed

BTW, which do you think is the better coverage option? After Dragon Claw, EQ and Iron Head, I usually use Fire Blast, but damn, when it misses.

PS: I hope that via Move Tutor he will learn at least Fire Punch. Fire Fangs Sucks, and Fire Blast doesn't get the Atk boost, other than being shaky.

I've been running this set on him, and it works like a charm. Just make sure to have a fighting or steel type such as mega lucario or scizor for support against fairies and ice types.
Garchomp Life Orb
4 HP/252 Atk/252 Speed
Adamant/Jolly nature
- Swords Dance
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge (for volcarona, gyarados, slower ice types, etc.)
Whenever I get that swords dance in, which I do most of the time, I usually sweep through the whole person's team easily.
YESSSSSSS I use this too. Jolly is always better just because of all the stuff it can outspeed. Here's some calcs and a replay:
+2 252 Atk Life Orb Garchomp Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mandibuzz: 395-465 (93.1 - 109.6%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO
+1 252 Atk Life Orb Garchomp Outrage vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Landorus-T: 296-348 (77.4 - 91%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 252 Atk Life Orb Garchomp Outrage vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Hippowdon: 328-386 (78 - 91.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 252 Atk Life Orb Garchomp Outrage vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Venusaur: 317-374 (87 - 102.7%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO
(idk i might have missed some)
I'm sure people are going to say something about fairies or some shit like that so have a look at THESE calcs:
+2 252 Atk Life Orb Garchomp Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Sylveon: 399-472 (101.2 - 119.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252 Atk Life Orb Garchomp Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Azumarill: 511-602 (126.4 - 149%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+1 252 Atk Life Orb Garchomp Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mega Mawile: 530-624 (174.3 - 205.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252 Atk Life Orb Garchomp Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Togekiss: 424-499 (113.3 - 133.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
(again i might have missed some)

And it doesnt HAVE to set up, just look at this replay http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-115826738

BTW, which do you think is the better coverage option? After Dragon Claw, EQ and Iron Head, I usually use Fire Blast, but damn, when it misses.

PS: I hope that via Move Tutor he will learn at least Fire Punch. Fire Fangs Sucks, and Fire Blast doesn't get the Atk boost, other than being shaky.
well, even though its a SpAtk move, Flamethrower is always an option for Garchomp but I think I would run one with Brick Break serving a dual purpose, letting it take advantage of combining its x2 damage on pesky ice types, and giving it the ability to break barriers that otherwise would be very annoying for him

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)