Gaming magazine targeted at girls

Ok, so I'll readily admit that there are definitely more guys than girls playing video games out there... but is a magazine like this piece of bull really necessary? Seriously. I didn't know if I wanted to laugh hysterically or cry upon seeing the magazine cover. I feel pretty offended, personally. (And yes, I am a girl.)

Not to mention the girl on the cover looks hideous as it is.

Surgo

goes to eleven
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I have to wonder why a gaming magazine specifically targetted at girls is even necessary. Is gaming really that non-gender-neutral? I don't see it if it is, but then again, I'm a guy; I'm willing to admit my perspective may be skewed here.

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
This was Scott of VGCats' response to that magazine:

On time with topic, short, funny, not too much dialog. It's as if he's possessed!

The magazine looks like trash really. It's like they asked a guy what girls like and he was like "Lots of makeup, blond hair, pink, and cooking".

I have to wonder why a gaming magazine specifically targetted at girls is even necessary. Is gaming really that non-gender-neutral? I don't see it if it is, but then again, I'm a guy; I'm willing to admit my perspective may be skewed here.
I would say no, but most current game mags are so tilted towards teenage boys that I can see girls just getting fed up with reading it. Edge is one of the few magazines anyone respects these days. It's the only one not making penis and boob jokes every month.

Actually, I found the link on VG cats. XD

And I do agree that gaming is usually pretty gender neutral... except for the random Barbie DS games, but in general, it is.

Learn to cook on your DS!!.

Looks like this magazine was not really necessary, not only because the market they attempt to target is really small, but also because they don't even know it, i mean gamer girls would like that?. My ex probably....yes?, and i'm not even sure in her case.

The idea is probably not crappy, but the final product seems out of place.

PS. Hilarious comic strip.

X-Act

np: Biffy Clyro - Shock Shock
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
The interesting thing is that there are around 38% to 43% of females playing video games according to various statistics... and yet I've never witnessed one single female playing video games. Are they hiding in their closets or what?

is this just because you don't get into girl's bedroom's that often?

also this looks like a piece of awful trash, god, I hate gender-targeted type products. ridiculous.

X-Act

np: Biffy Clyro - Shock Shock
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
...Do they need to play video games in the bedroom?

I mean, I'm exaggerating obviously, but if they really are at least 38% of female video game players, then there are more than 1 in 3 females playing. Why don't I see them? Why do they need to play where nobody sees them? Is it such a taboo for them?

Tangerine

Where the Lights Are
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I mean, I'm exaggerating obviously, but if they really are at least 38% of female video game players, then there are more than 1 in 3 females playing. Why don't I see them? Why do they need to play where nobody sees them? Is it such a taboo for them?
I see Girls playing PSP/DS all the time in the subways here (Korea) and I saw plenty of females on their DSes in Japan (playing Mario Kart, heh). Then again back in the US I RARELY see ANYONE playing videogames while on the Bus or something so maybe it's frequency?

erm.. as far as I'm aware it's not taboo at all?
the bedroom comment was as regards actual consoles.. I don't take my DS around with me so much anymore.

38 percent? That does seem strangely big of a fraction because I don't see that many girls that playing video games. On the other hand, me and lot of my female friends here at college like to take advantage of the big screen TVs in our dorm lounges. We'll play video games there while we're waiting for our laundry to get done or whatever.

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

More than likely, this statistic includes those playing casual games on their computer like Solitaire, Peggle, and Bejewelled. I've seen quite a few girls playing on DSes on the bus/skytrain around where I live, but the concentration of Asians here are high and they do seem more technologically inclined than many other ethnic groups.

just because you guys dont see girls playing video games doesn't mean anything. We just dont see as many fanatic video game girl players as we do casual.

Every single one of my female friends play video games on a regular basis, some as much so as myself. Plus, I see plenty of girls on the subway here in Boston playing with a DS. Several times the game being Phoenix Wright, oddly.

Actually, I've never seen a guy on the subway with a DS or PSP and it's always been girls, but that's probably just coincidental.

I don't think it does count solitaire et al.. I hang around with girls continually (urgh) and out of a group of about 20 people at least half have a DS, roughly the same amount of people (if not the same people) have a Wii, etc.. it is pretty common amongst girls.

cloud

groove, slam, work it back, filter that baby, bump
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
i'm gonna agree that gender-neutral gaming is a hoo-ha, simply because most girls don't play xbox/ps3, etc.. but girls love the ds. and the wii kinda. nintendo really succeeded in their effort to integrate unexplored areas of gaming this generation.

that said, a girly gaming magazine is the dumbest idea ever. just make a less testosterone driven magazine (read: egm) and maybe girls'll read. also they don't really care about gaming that much anyway so they probably won't but who cares right :3.

I think this magazine is a good idea, and as my evidence, I proffer the fact that Nintendogs, which is utterly shitty, is one of the top selling games all time. Obviously not ONLY girls buy that, but it is obvious they are the number one target audience...and it worked. When something is outselling pokemon DP, that is insane.

erm.. yeah.. I bought nintendogs as did a lot of my female friends.. doesn't mean I or any of my friends would touch that magazine though.

Hipmonlee

Have a nice day
is a Community Contributoris a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
TBH that magazine looks like it is targeted for 12 year olds though.. I doubt I would touch a male oriented magazine desinged for 12 year olds.

That being said "Cooking Mama 2?" ..What the hell?

Have a nice day.

That 38% number needs to be broken down a bit more. When that study says that, it refers to all video games, not just the console games. Most console games have lots of action, violence, and language. A majority of girls are not into that as much as guys are. Whenever I see a woman play a game, it's either on her computer, internet, on the DS, or on her cell phone; and the game they play is typically not a mature rated game (a majority, not everybody). More specifically, as an example; the Sims! A top selling game of all-time, AND it is one of the only games in the world which females play it more than males! Along with Second Life, those 2 games very well could make up at least 40-50% of those women that play games.

When talking about percentages we have to also mix culture or places on that, because that 38% probably doesn't apply to all countries. I dare to say where i live gaming is a common thing, but like 90% must be males (judging from conventions, tournaments, forums and all kind of places i have been to).

Altmer

rid this world of human waste
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Ethan from Ctrl-Alt-Del said:
Girls don't play video games
I've seen girls play video games, a lot of them. But mostly RPG and not FPS/RTS type stuff.

I agree with the other people who posted here that magazine looks like shit :(.I don't really find it that difficult to believe X-Act I see girls here(Hong Kong) play their DS(some do have PSP but they are in the minority)on the subway or even while walking.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)