Other Features Game Freak Goofed: How to Fix Their Fuck-Ups

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryan

Jojo Siwa enthusiast
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
ok the title is perfect, but I doubt it'll be accepted
still trying anyways because I love it

anyways, I want to do a probably short-ish piece about how to fix competitive Pokemon from a game design standpoint. I know lonelyness did a piece about the top x things that ruined competitive Pokemon, but I want to offer an updated piece that presents alternatives to the bad stuff.

stuff I'd probably cover:

knock off
scald
full paralysis
swagger (this is actually a really interesting one because I love the concept of the move and don't want to change the +2/confuse, but would want to lower the accuracy)
maybe something about entry hazards, but that's so boring and overdone, and it's something that I feel defog handled pretty well
possibly another move/mechanic or two, haven't thought this through quite 100% yet

I might also include a section on mega evolutions. A lot of them were incredibly obviously overpowered from the start, and I'd love to include something about them but idk what. Maybe I'd just mention some Pokemon that should have gotten Mega Evolutions instead of all the stuff that was already amazing anyways.

Flora

Yep, that tasted purple!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Ya, lonelyness never really got to complete that article series, so I'd like to see something of that "continued" in a way. It seems he only covered Choice Band/Specs spamming high-powered moves in one article. You're fine with doing all of that in one? Would a shortish piece do all of those enough justice? Would you discuss other possible "fuck-ups" that you considered, but they're not really completely "fuck-ups" in your opinion? Critical hits/accuracy maybe? Oh gosh, I don't want to cuss anymore. :(

Bummer

Jamming to the beat
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
For the most part, I'm against ideas like these by default, as there are plenty of people out there with their own report on how to make things better (me included), and this article wouldn't really 'solve' any of the problems it touches. Not to mention that snippets like these....

possibly another move/mechanic or two, haven't thought this through quite 100% yet

I'd love to include something about them but idk what.
....don't really aid your cause. Although this does:

how to fix competitive Pokemon from a game design standpoint
You're definitely a member I'd trust to write an article like this, but only if you were confident in doing so, and to expect that we'll be judging it more harshly than usual to prevent personal opinions to roam free (never was a big fan of LonelyNess articles either).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)