Froslass (Full Revamp)+

Great Sage

Banned deucer.
For your question about pronouns, it doesn't matter whether you use the neuter or feminine for Froslass; just be sure to be consistent.

Venom

red eyes no visine
is a Team Rater Alumnus
[SET COMMENTS]
<p>With a blistering base 110 Speed, Taunt, Focus Sash, and immunity to Fake Out, Froslass is nearly guaranteed to set up at least one layer of Spikes while at the same time preventing the opponent from setting up. Taunt also thwarts slower status inducers from stopping Froslass. After neutering the opponent’s lead, Froslass can use Destiny Bond to kamikaze with the opponent once the Focus Sash is broken. Taunt forces your opponent to attack, while Destiny Bond makes your opponent reconsider sacrificing a Pokémon to OHKO Froslass, who has fulfilled her job of setting up Spikes. Froslass’s mind games easily cause switches, so Froslass can use this as an opportunity to set up more Spikes. To top this all of, Froslass is part Ghost-type, so she also acts as a spin blocker. Ice Beam is recommended as always for being an awesome offensive type in addition to receiving a STAB boost. Shadow Ball is another STAB option but gets walled easily by Clefable and other Normal-types.</p>
<p>This set operates very smoothly in UU but is not nearly as effective in OU. The Speed tiers are much higher in OU, so Froslass cannot utilize the Taunt + Destiny Bond strategy to cause switches. Azelf, Aerodactyl, and Weavile outspeeds and can Taunt Froslass to shut her down completely. Choice Scarf Metagross and Bullet Punch Scizor kills Froslass before she can Destiny Bond after setting up Spikes. Tyranitar and Hippowdon's Sandstream breaks her Focus Sash, securing death for Froslass without Destiny Bonding them with her. Froslass is good for only one layer of Spikes usually. Outspeeding to use Taunt+Destiny Bond is essential to using this set to its full potential.</p>
<p>The calculations show that this set is intended to hit hard and fast, not for setting up Spikes. Choiced Destiny Bond is risky, because your opponent might set up on you until Destiny Bond’s low 8PP runs out. Don’t use Choice Scarf over Specs, because Froslass needs the power boost to punish Special walls. If you have a need for Speed, miss Spikes, or want to bait a Destiny Bond kill but still want to use Trick, then check out the Crafty Tricks set.</p>
[SET COMMENTS]
<p>This set plays more creatively than the Offensive Choice Specs set, similarly to the Suicide Lead. This Froslass can be used as a makeshift anti-lead. The main advantage of this set over the other similarly fashioned sets is the fact that with 110 base Speed, Froslass is able to outrun nearly early every Pokémon in UU, as the second fastest Trick / Switcheroo user next to Persian in UU. The enhanced Speed provided by Choice Scarf allows Froslass to net a surprise kill on an otherwise faster foe like Swellow. Choice Specs is another viable option for a more offensive set. Trick has given Froslass a more effective way of dealing with walls by shutting their versatility down. Unlike the Offensive Choice Specs set, Trick the choice item early in the game, so you can begin to alternate between moves and avoid being set up fodder.</p>
<p>The given EVs allow for Froslass to activate the Petaya Berry in three Substitutes instead of four. This allows for a faster set-up and more HP to spare. Rapid Spin support isn’t required, because the 25% Stealth Rock damage will Speed up the activation of the Petaya Berry. The only things that counter this set are Clefable, who walls every single attack very nicely, and Hitmontop whose Bullet Punch OHKOs even at max HP.</p>
<p>Light Screen and Safeguard support the team from Special attacks and status, respectively. Block in tandem with Destiny Bond and Taunt can force a kill. Block is illegal with Spikes, however. Spite is an interesting option to reduce the PP of the foe’s last used move and is particularly useful defending against Sucker Punch, since Sucker Punch fails when you Spite and only has 8PP. Snatch can steal a Substitute or stat boost from an opponent that wants to set up to avoid triggering Destiny Bond. Torment prevents the foe from using the same move twice, which can cause switches. Attract works particularly well on Froslass, since all Froslass are female, and most players do not bother changing the default gender from male to female. Swagger confuses and gives a +2 Attack boost to the foe, so the foe takes twice the normal Confusion damage. Swagger works ideally against a foe that doesn't use physical attacks, but a giving a free +2 Attack boost to a physical sweeper that snaps out of Confusion will be disastrous. Colbur Berry can be used if Pursuit becomes problematic.</p>
<p>For the Snow Cloak abuse set, 244 HP EVs makes 342 HP to let Froslass to Substitute again after four turns of Leftovers recovery. You can take out some HP for Special Attack if you want give Ice Beam or Blizzard an extra punch.</p>
<p>Max Speed + Choice Scarf gives Froslass a Speed stat of 525, enough to outspeed everything below +2 base 80s like Chlorophyll Shiftry in the sun. Reducing the Speed EVs is risky, because after Froslass Tricks the Scarf away, she becomes slower than what she is supposed to counter.</p>
[Opinion]
<p>Froslass’s demotion from OU allowed Froslass to rise as a top lead, supporter, and sweeper in the UU metagame. The Suicide Lead nearly guarantees at least one layer of Spikes to ensure some critical OHKOs and 2HKOs for the rest of the team. Froslass has plenty of other useful support options to mess up the opponent’s strategy, namely a speedy Taunt, Thunder Wave, Destiny Bond, and Trick. Despite Froslass’s low base Special Attack, her Speed and fantastic dual STAB coverage go a long way to make her a serious threat to many Special walls. Her unique Ice/Ghost typing has severe drawbacks though. The obvious big downside is Stealth Rock taking off a nasty 25% of health every time Froslass switches in. Froslass will have a tough time switching into attacks, because Ice is a terrific offensive type but horrible defensively, resisting only itself. Regardless, with immunities to Normal and more notably, ubiquitous Fighting moves like Close Combat, Froslass has some opportunities to come in unscathed to threaten the opponent’s team. Froslass is a solid choice for any UU team and should not be underestimated for her low defenses and Special Attack.</p>
<p>In OU, Pursuit users are a huge problem, especially since she has trouble killing most of them. Weavile, Tyranitar, Heracross, Scizor, Metagross, and Thick Fat Snorlax can all Pursuit Froslass back to hell with relative impunity. Tyranitar’s Sand Stream negates Hail and Ice Beam barely fazes Tyranitar at all with Sandstorm’s Special Defense boost. Hippowdon stops Hail also and is immune to Thunder Wave but fears Ice-type moves. Stop her stalling antics with a speedy Taunt, since even with Ice Beam, her base 80 Special Attack won’t be doing much damage to neutral foes. </p>
<p>In UU, Pursuit users that can take Froslass’s boosted hits comfortably are harder to come by. For example, Choice Band Drapion takes an average 34.5% from a resisted, boosted Shadow Ball. Swellow outspeeds and Pursuits for an average 50.5% on a non-fleeing Froslass, but must come in on Shadow Ball or after a kill.</p>
<p>For the Specs and Sub Petaya sets: Froslass already has superior type coverage even without the help of Hidden Power, so switching into boosted hits requires careful prediction. Lanturn counters nicely by resisting Ice, catching Thunderbolts to heal with Volt Absorb, boasting incredible defenses, and crippling Froslass’s Speed with Thunder Wave. Lanturn needs Surf to get past the Sub Petaya set though. Probopass can take Froslass’s most common attacks all day and retaliate with Thunder Wave, but Hidden Power Fighting or Ground easily 2HKOs. Bastiodon is in the same boat as Probopass with the ability to Metal Burst back loads of damage. Flareon makes a decent sponge, taking ~31% from boosted Shadow Ball. Hitmontop’s Bullet Punch hits first for a swift OHKO. Platinum gave Sucker Punch to plenty of Pokémon’s arsenals, but few Sucker Punch users will enjoy coming in on Froslass’s boosted hits. </p>
<p>With all things considered, the crux of her capabilities is all tied to her Speed, so paralysis completely neutralizes Froslass as a threat. Bullet Punch, Shadow Sneak, and Sucker Punch bypass that incredible Speed and cause loads of damage. The Stealth Rock weakness greatly restricts Froslass from switching in too many times.</p>

Syberia

[custom user title]
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I have used the suicide lead in UU and must point out that it works great. Although Electrode shuts it down with Taunt, Ice Beam is a 2HKO against it while you will survive two Thunderbolts, and are immune to Explosion.

Updates:
- I capitalized speed, special defense, attack, and such. Thanks Venom.
- I included damage calculations for Articuno and Mantine.
- I noted that Hypno is 2HKO'd with SR.
- I made a few minor grammar and clarification changes.
- After playing around, I changed the Snow Cloak abuse set's EVs to 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe. Froslass's defenses are so frail that most neutral hits will break her Substitute even with heavy investment in her defenses, so 252 EVs are better put to use in her Special Attack than defenses.

What was your experience with Blizzard? Since most of the time it's spiking, I've never run out of PP. IMO Blizzard should be the only option.

Sometimes I run into the problem of already having 3 layers of Spikes and a Substitute against a paralyzed foe. It sounds like a good scenario and for the most part it is, but I was left with nothing to do but Blizzard, then my PP runs out. I guess, with 3 layers of Spikes and spreading paralysis, Froslass has served her purpose, so attacking isn't that important. Other times, Blizzard doesn't run out of PP, because Froslass gets KO'd too soon. I listed Blizzard and Confuse Ray as only the options, and I mentioned Ice Beam in the comments to reduce the slashitis. Thanks for everyone's input on Blizzard vs. Ice Beam for the Snow Cloak abuse set.

Lower Froslass' HP IVs to 23 for any Substitute set, with 281-8 = 273 (Like Ninjask) Froslass gets an extra Substitute in. Otherwise, you can give Froslass 8 x 4 = 32 HP EVs to give her 289 HP. Basically any number divided by 16 + 1 works.

Perhaps try a nifty Rain Dance set.

[SET]
name: Suicide in the Rain
move 1: Rain Dance
move 2: Taunt
move 3: Destiny Bond
move 4: Spikes / Thunder Wave
item: Damp Rock
nature: Timid
evs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe

<p>Lead with this Froslass to set up Rain and Spikes easily, Taunt anything that tries to status or set-up. Destiny Bond works well with Taunt, and allows Froslass to get teammates in safely that want to abuse Rain Dance, like a pseudo Explosion. </p>

<p> Perks of this set include Froslass' Ghost typing paired with Spikes allow her to single handedly set-up entry hazards while preventing Rapid Spin. Froslass also works well to lure in fire types, in which case it can fool your opponent into thinking they can score a 1hko, while Froslass just sets up Rain Dance (cutting their Fire attacks in half), and can then switch out to a Water type that now has effectively a 4x resistant to Fire attacks (being Water and having Rain Dance in effect), or use Destiny Bond.</p>

<p>If you feel Froslass wont have time to use Spikes, Thunder Wave can go over the last slot. Thunder Wave will help against Scarf Pokemon like Primeape from KOing the likes of Omaster, and Kabutops and Relincath allowing them to hit first and KO with their STAB and Rain Boosted Water attacks, before being outspeed by the raging monkey. Although Thunderwave might ruin the surprise of Destiny Bond if you use it on a turn they are fully paralyzed.</p>

Lower Froslass' HP IVs to 23 for any Substitute set, with 281-8 = 273 (Like Ninjask) Froslass gets an extra Substitute in. Otherwise, you can give Froslass 8 x 4 = 32 HP EVs to give her 289 HP. Basically any number divided by 16 + 1 works.

Substitutes take 1/4 rounded down, and Leftovers heal 1/16 rounded down. As long as you have Leftovers and a HP stat that is indivisible by 4, you can make a fifth Substitute. Take no HP EVs Froslass for example,

no HP EVs = 281 HP (4 x 68 + 9 OR 16 x 17 + 9)
Substitute cost = 281 HP / 4, rounded down = 68 HP
Leftovers heal = 281 HP / 16, rounded down = 17 HP
remainder 9

Turn 1: 100% 281 HP
create Substitute #1: 281 - 68 = 213 HP
Leftovers heal: 213 + 17 = 230 HP

Turn 2: 230 HP
create Substitute #2: 230 - 68 = 162 HP
Leftovers heal: 162 + 17 = 189 HP

Turn 3: 189 HP
create Substitute #3: 189 - 68 = 121 HP
Leftovers heal: 121 + 17 = 138

Turn 4: 138 HP
create Substitute #4: 138 - 68 = 70 HP
Leftovers heal: 70 + 17 = 87 HP

Turn 5: 87 HP
create Substitute #5: 87 - 68 = 9 remainder HP

To summarize, HP stats that are indivisible by 4, can generate 5 Substitutes in a row with Leftovers recovery.

Thanks for bringing this up. I'll add a note that the Snow Cloak abuse set's EVs can make 5 Substitutes in a row with Leftovers recovery.

Perhaps try a nifty Rain Dance set.

[SET]
name: Suicide in the Rain
move 1: Rain Dance
move 2: Taunt
move 3: Destiny Bond
move 4: Spikes / Thunder Wave
item: Damp Rock
nature: Timid
evs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe

<p>Lead with this Froslass to set up Rain and Spikes easily, Taunt anything that tries to status or set-up. Destiny Bond works well with Taunt, and allows Froslass to get teammates in safely that want to abuse Rain Dance, like a pseudo Explosion. </p>

<p> Perks of this set include Froslass' Ghost typing paired with Spikes allow her to single handedly set-up entry hazards while preventing Rapid Spin. Froslass also works well to lure in fire types, in which case it can fool your opponent into thinking they can score a 1hko, while Froslass just sets up Rain Dance (cutting their Fire attacks in half), and can then switch out to a Water type that now has effectively a 4x resistant to Fire attacks (being Water and having Rain Dance in effect), or use Destiny Bond.</p>

<p>If you feel Froslass wont have time to use Spikes, Thunder Wave can go over the last slot. Thunder Wave will help against Scarf Pokemon like Primeape from KOing the likes of Omaster, and Kabutops and Relincath allowing them to hit first and KO with their STAB and Rain Boosted Water attacks, before being outspeed by the raging monkey. Although Thunderwave might ruin the surprise of Destiny Bond if you use it on a turn they are fully paralyzed.</p.>
Electrode outclasses this set in Speed, Explosion, and STAB Thunder in the rain. Qwilfish can coincidentally run the exact same set, has Swift Swim to be faster than nearly everything, has STAB water attacks boosted in the rain, and has the option of both Destiny Bond and Explosion. Nevertheless, Rain Dance is worthy of Other Options. Good find. Thanks.
I added Electrode, Persian, and Purugly as counters to the support sets.

Actually the remainder is 19, not 9.

70 + 17 = 87

so obviously 87 - 68 = 17 + 2 = 19.

(70 - 2 = 68) so if 70 is 17 less than 87, then 68 is 17 + 2 less than 87, which is 17 + 2=19.

In other words: 68 + 19 = 87, not 68 + 9 = 87.
Actually, I am correct that the remainder is 9. Two of my math calculations were wrong, but they canceled each other out. Turn 2 is where I admittedly made my boneheaded mistake.

"Turn 2: 230 HP
create Substitute #2: 230 - 68 = 162 HP
Leftovers heal: 162 + 17 = 189 HP" It is supposed to be 179

Turn 5: 87 HP
create Substitute #5: 87 - 68 = 9 remainder HP" I knew that the final remainder should be 9, so my math skills took a break and assumed that the last calculation would equal 9. My first error on Turn 2 made everything afterward 10 more than what they should be overall. The error on Turn 5 (87 - 68 = 9) was 10 less what it should be. So, they cancel each other out. The remainder overall is indeed 9.

BTW, the lengthy explanation of elementary addition and subtraction was definitely not necessary. I clearly made a simple algebra mistake, which all of us make from time to time. We are human. We make careless mistakes. Get over it.

My main point is that Froslass with no HP EVs can make 5 Substitutes in a row, and I have shown that. Can we please move on to the relevant topic at hand and not how 17+2=19?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)