From the Ashes - The Closest Thing I've Got to a Sun Team

Voltage

OTTN5
is a Pre-Contributor
From The Ashes

At a Glance!

Introduction

What can really said about Entei? Well, just around last year, right about now, Entei was sitting in his happy little tier of RU, being outclassed by the UU threat of Arcanine, as well as nearly every other physical attacker in OU. Fortunately for our little legendary hamster, dog, catbear? BEAST, Entei got Sacred Fire in the transition from BW2 to X/Y, and what a boost it is! Now, being the crazy psuedo-Karenite I am, I hate being the guy who builds a generic team and just gets bored with the game, and instead I try to find new and interesting Pokemon that I can win with. So, naturally, seeing Entei getting an OU analysis, I hopped on the Entei train and worked with him!

Some significant things to note. This is nowhere close to a final copy. I will gladly take suggestions as needed, but just be aware that this team is meant to focused around Entei, so if at all possible, try not to drop him. Second, I will try to make this as detailed, as well as convinient for all of you out there, so while the paragraphs may be long, they're worth reading.

Building the Team

Starting off, I wanted to use Entei, simple enough right? Problem is, Entei really lacks some things that could make it so much better, like sun. Speaking of sun... a little salamander I know got a huge update that could help Entei out...

Enter Charizard Y, the non-dragon harbinger of the sun. Charizard Y was added to bring the extra power Entei needs to thrive, as well as being able to create some interesting situations of its own. Now, they're both good and all, but they're both weak to the rocks, and that's a problem we need to fix.

Normally, when I need somebody clean up the rocks, I go with Starmie due to its speed and power. However, Starmie wasn't very cohesive, and after rereading the team suggestions for both Charizard Y AND Entei, I noticed a name pop up for similar reason. Latias joined the party for the main use of Defog, as well as being a nice special wall. Now with these three, they work well together, but in order for Entei to be EVEN BETTER, we're going to need someone that can slow major threats down. Someone like...

Galvantula. Now, Galvantula, as you probably know, is a very niche Pokemon as it's only real use is Sticky Webbing the terrain. That said, Galvantula is also a nice addition because it provides coverage against Manaphy, Gyarados, Greninja, Alakazam, most Dark Types, and anything else that doesn't resist Bug or Electric moves. With this group of four I was worried about something, probably Fairies, which in hindsight, is quite silly as the only member weak to Fairies is Latias. However, while there's only one weakness, that weakness IS STILL A WEAKNESS, so that needed fixing.

Enter Bisharp, my faux-fairykiller/trapper/checkmating device. Bisharp creats a sense of unpredictability that the team so desperately needed. Bisharp also covers Latias' weaknesses quite well, planting himself square into the team. It also helps that Knock Off got a buff, which is nice.

To round things off, I added Genesect. Now Genesect does share weaknesses with quite a few teammates, which is a glaring issue, however, Genesect is my revenge killer/only thing that knows any Ice moves/coverage beast. I've also found Genesect to be a pretty good "Pivot" of sorts. Very often This guy has been my driving force.

After a bit of review, I dropped Galvantula and replace him with Rotom-W, for the main reason that Rotom-W had better coverage against threats that could potentially wall my team. Bye bye Galvantula, hello Mr. Washing machine.

The Team

III (Entei) @ Choice Band
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Sacred Fire
- Extreme Speed
- Stone Edge
- Bulldoze

The focal point of my team, Entei, is why this team exists. This Entei is also quite basic, and basically what most, if not all Entei running around in OU use. Sacred Fire is a godsend as it had previously been exclusive to Ho-Oh, giving a "legendary move status" or something along those lines. with a STAB bonus AND a 50% burn chance, why WOULDN'T you run it? Especially when your next best option is a huge recoil move? Extreme Speed provides Entei with a little bit of priority that allows it to knock out something that would normally outspeed the thing, since it's otherwise pretty slow. Extreme Speed also gives a nice neutral damage output, which is really only resisted by 3 types. Stone Edge gives me coverage against flying types like Talonflame, Noivern, Salamence and Dragonite, which could do massive damage to my team, as well as other fire types, like the Charizards, and Rotom-H. Speaking of Rotom, Stone Edge also hits the Wash forme for a pretty good amount of damage. Finally, Bulldoze is there so Heatran can't wall my entire team, and without Bulldoze, my team would most likely crumble. Bulldoze also hits Aggron, but let's be real. Who actually uses Aggron? Also, why the hell does Entei miss out on Earthquake? It's the VOLCANO Pokemon.

Now all of the moves are fine and dandy, but really what lets Entei hit hard is the Choice Band. As you probably know Choice allows Entei to hit with 50% more power, and suddenly, Sacred Fire gets a STAB boost, a 50% power boost, AND a 50% chance to burn. If you also consider the sun that Charizard Y brings in, then we have ourselves a sun boost multiplied in as well creating one hell of a beast. Extreme Speed suddenly get a 50% power boost with neutral coverage, hitting harder and fast, making it an ideal revenge killer, as well when things have already been damaged by either Charizard, Bisharp or Genesect. While Stone Edge is unpredictable, it also hits like a ton of bricks (pun intended) and can wipe almost anything that doesn't resist it. And Bulldoze lowers speed, so that's cool.

The EV spread is set up for a maximum damage output as well as speed output, complimenting the Choice Band. Along with an Adamant nature, Entei hits EVEN HARDER, and without an Adamant nature, Extreme Speed fails to dish out the damage needed to succeed. It's also worth noting that Galvantula has Sticky Web so enemies, save Levitators and Flying Types, will already be subdued.

In terms of teamates, Entei is the center of attention, so naturally, all the team members benefit him in someway. Charizard Y is probably the most beneficial partner as he bring the sun allowing Entei to hit hard against almost anything. Latias works well with Entei allowing it to last longer once all the physical threats are burned. Rotom-W is able to stop Talonflame, a mon that would otherwise stop this team cold. Bisharp allows Entei to knock out anyone who has been weakened by Bisharp's sheer offensive prowess. Finally, Genesect provides Entei with many switch-in oppoirtunities, and lets it take out threats that Genesect can't handle.

Also, for a totally pointless point, the nickname III comes from Entei's role as a legendary trio and because it was in the third Pokemon movie. The name was intially going to be Enteiii, but I thought people wouldn't get it.

TL;DR: Entei hits hard with Sacred Fire and Choice Band under Sun

Wunner (Charizard) @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 4 SpDef / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Modest Nature
- Fire Blast
- Solar Beam
- Focus Blast
- Roost

For once, the genwunners have finally proven something, albeit barely. Back when Gen 4 came out and Stealth Rocks was introduced, Charizard plummeted to the depths of NU, but here with not one, but TWO mega evolutions, the mighty dragon salamander has flown his way back to OU. Charizard Y brings Drought to the table, becoming one of , if not the most versatile users of Drought in the whole OU tier. When the Sun comes out, Charizard can easily incinerate foes with a Fire Blast (provided it hits...), and as longer as they don't resist the blast, they're going to hit hard. Solar Beam is another obvious choice as Charizard Y bring the sun automatically, thus not having to wait a turn to charge the attack, allowing it to hit those pesky Water types, as well as Ground types, neither of which Charizard would be able to touch otherwise. When I first started off, I had been running Dragon Pulse on it to cover those annoying Dragons, but I switched it to Earthquake as without it, Heatran would wall the whole team. Plus, Earthquake also give me more coverage as a mixed attacker hitting Jolteon, and rock types that might show up. Earthquake is also another way to cover Aegislash, a mon that seems to be everywhere but after a while of using Earthquake, I was suggested to use Focus Blast, and already I see a tremendous difference. Roost is Charizard Y's main form of recovery, and it's quite useful in situations due to Charizard's versatility.

I shouldn't have to explain why Charizard is running Charizardite Y, but just for fun, here's why. Charizard X is a powerful mon and all, but Charizard Y gives the sun and therein the power. There you go. EVs on this salamander are meant to promote offense as much as possible, while also building speed, in a similar way to Entei. The Modest nature promotes the Special Attack stat while decreasing attack as Charizard Y doesn't have to use any physical attacks.

On the team, Charizard has three functions. Rising the sun, damaging the foes mid-game, and cleaning up late-game. Allow me to explain each one: By setting the sun into place in the field, Charizard cements its partnership with Entei, as well as working with Genesect to boost the power of Flamethrower. Secondly, Charizard can put dents into the foes' defenses leaving them open for an Extreme Speed from Entei, or a quick strike from Genesect. Thirdly, Charizard can clean up lategame, provided he's already megavolved. All he has to do is bring in the sun, and then use his colossal speed to hammer down on the foes that have been drilled into by either Entei, Latias, Bisharp, Genesect or even Charizard himself. Coming in with the speed, Charizard uses the versatility that is provided to him to slam down on nearly anything that is still alive.

Lastly, Charizard is named after Genwunners. Any questions? No? Wonderful. Next!

Jetty (Latias) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Roost
- Defog
- Psyshock
- Draco Meteor

Latias is glue that brings Entei and Charizard even closer together. Being an offensive Calm Mind set Calm Mind is a given, and Defog is meant to be a hazard remover. Naturally since Latias has some pretty amazing bulk, it's survivability is quite good, so Defog is a reasonable choice on this girl. Psyshock and Draco Meteor are Latias' two ways of attacking, and it's nice that Latias can attack both Def and SpDef without losing much. Psyshock hits many threats with low Defense like Breloom, and Draco Meteor gets some killer STAB. Also, with the constant boosting in Calm Mind, Latias can stay in the arena without having to switch out, all while still boosting the Special defense.

Leftovers are Latias' main form of recovery, obviously this can be changed, but then again, there's not much it can really be switched with. the only option I can think of is Lati@site, but that's event only, and odds are we won't see it for a while still. Needless to say, without Roost, Leftovers are really the only option to use at this moment. The EV spread is meant to capitalize on Special Attack while also boosting Special Defense and speed.

As a team member, Latias is the lone wall of the team, but its offensive traits keep it around to fight the special fight. Latias can live for much longer when its foes are burned by Entei/Charizard/Genesect and therein create a lot of probable problems for the foes. Not to mention, by boost Calm Minds, Latias' bulk is constantly increasing so eventually Special moves will do next to nothing. Paired with the fact that foes have the possibility to be burned from Sacred Fire/Fire Blast/Flamethrower, potentially creating a weird yet effective defensive thingy.

Latias is named Jetty because Latias is somewhat modeled after a jet, and is a female. Nothin' more.

Kenmore (Rotom-Wash) @ Chesto Berry
EVs: 248 HP / 216 Def / 44 Spd
Bold Nature
- Rest
- Thunderbolt
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp

After a consideration from a rate, I decided to dump Galvantula and replace it with this washing machine. Now Rotom is running it's standard ChestoRest and uses it's capabilities to the max. Rest with Chesto allows me a free full heal, with very few repercussions, and then I can always recover again if necessary. Thunderbolt is one of two STABs, and it hits threats pretty hard, namely Talonflame. Hydro Pump on the other hand is quite strong against anythign that can't resist it, however it's accuracy leaves somethings to be desired. Fianlly, Will-o-wisps the team yet another opportunity to burn the foes.

Rotom-W serves the role of a kind of late game momentum turner in the late game, giving me, as previously noted, a free recovery. From there I can go onto knock out the foe while still being at full health. Works wonders on paper, as well in the match.

Also he's named after a brand of washing machines. Fitting, no?

Checkmate (Bisharp) @ Life Orb
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 124 HP / 252 Atk / 132 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Iron Head
- Sucker Punch
- Swords Dance

Bisharp is probably the most controversial choice for this team, but I find that Bisharp gives the team a physical, offensive presence, that no one else on my team can, save Entei. Now, as you may have read earlier, Knock Off got a tremendous buff in Gen 6 allowing it to hit 50% harder if the opponent has an item, so it's pretty much the Dark type Acrobatics, but better, because after hitting it, the opponent loses its coveted item. One example I have is this. Let's say a Gliscor comes in and Bisharp uses Knock Off, suddenly, Gliscor has no means of recovery, and can be burned by Entei. Knock Off also has its drawbacks, but the benefits outweigh the malefactors. Also, Knock Off gets a neat STAB bonus, which always helps. Iron Head mainly comes into play because Bisharp doesn't get Bullet Punch, but that doesn't matter too much. Iron Head hits pretty hard, especially against those new found Fairy types, as well as most things that don't resist it. And then we have the dynamic duo of Sucker Punch and Pursuit, the things that make this thing a living chessboard. Sucker Punch is meant to predict a sweeper trying to get their lack licks in before they get taken out, while Pursuit to take out the cowards switching out. Needless to say, this takes a lot of prediction, and is often a kingmaker situation.

The main reason for Life Orb is because Bisharp needs to hit even harder than other threats, and with the Defiant boost in Srticky Web, Bisharp can hit like a truck, making it all make sense. Sure I could run Leftovers, but then I risk not getting the OHKOs or things like bulky sweepers and walls. Chocie Band COULD also work, but then I lose my versatility and playing options, so Life Orb seems the best. EVs are rather standard, as usual 252 Atk, 124 HP to have more possibilites for switch ins, and the rest in spped. Along with an Adamant Nature, Bisharp is a scary chess piece.

Bisharp breaks walls down so that others can strike when the iron is hot (More puns man), and can also make opponents overthink, which is also quite an interesting strategy. He is also what lets Entei and Charizard have opportunities to sweep when the enemies are weakened, and that is very valuable when the sun isn't up up, or we're dealing with a special wall. Needless to say, Bisharp's a cool guy and very necessary here.

Also his nickname, Checkmate is an allusion to chess, if that wasn't obvious.​

Deceased Crab (Genesect) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Download
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Naughty Nature
- U-turn
- Bug Buzz
- Flamethrower
- Ice Beam

Finally, we have Genesect. Genesect plays the role of pivot/revenge killer and does it quite well. Genesect's coverage is truly horrifying for foes, having U-turn to switch out after smashing something to maintain offensive momentum, and Bug Buzz gets behind Subs, both of these being STAB and hitting dangerously hard. Flamethrower also works devilishly well, especially when sun is in effect, and it generally can dish out even more damage under the sun, making it just as powerful as some powerful uber threats (of course it was uber before, and who says it won't go uber again?). Lastly we have Ice Beam to eliminate any Ground, and Dragons that stand in Genesect's way. Now, without it's ability, Genesect would be pretty average, but by having download as it's ability Genesect EASILY can take out almost any threat almost immediately, and if it can'tit can just U-turn the hell out of there, so Genesect is easily a smashpasser as well as a great cleaner-upper.

Choice Scarf is used here to allow Genesect to outspeed things, and due to it's only average speed, and while Life Orb could be used, it's not worth losing 10% of your health just to hit a little bit harder, and it also makes Genesect slower, which in turn lets it get outsped by almost any +1 boosted mon. The EV spread also complements Genesect's mixed lifestyle, and it gives 4 Atk EVs so that U-turn's power isn't wasted, while using 252 SpA as Genesect's prime mode of attacking. The remaining 252 Speed EVs are used to keep the Choice Scarf good.

Lastly, Genesect is great at leaving dents in everything, which ironically, Genesect has a lot of on his design. Genesect is a great pokemon to smash something, and then let something else hit the foe, if nothing else. It's fast, it's great I love it.

Deceased Crab is a Let's player and Genesect is in fact, a deceased crab, reborn.​

THE TEAM IN ACTION (Replays)

Out of Date

Importable
(Please use the nicknames if you choose to import this team)

III (Entei) @ Choice Band
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Sacred Fire
- Extreme Speed
- Stone Edge
- Bulldoze

Wunner (Charizard) @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Blaze
Modest Nature
- Fire Blast
- Solar Beam
- Focus Blast
- Roost

Jetty (Latias) (F) @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Roost
- Defog
- Psyshock
- Draco Meteor

Kenmore (Rotom-Wash) @ Chesto Berry
EVs: 248 HP / 216 Def / 44 Spd
Bold Nature
- Rest
- Thunderbolt
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp

Checkmate (Bisharp) @ Life Orb
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Iron Head
- Sucker Punch
- Swords Dance

Deceased Crab (Genesect) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Download
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Naughty Nature
- U-turn
- Bug Buzz
- Flamethrower
- Ice Beam
Conclusion

Thank you for taking time out of your busy schedules to read my RMT. I'm open to a lot of advice, but remember, Entei is the central member, so I'm trying to keep him a round at all costs. With all that said and done, it's your turn!

Also, as of now, I'm testing both teams to see which team fares better depending on whether I swap out Entei for Conkeldurr.

Last edited:
Reactions: tcr

tcr

sage of six tabs
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hey man this is a nice team. Entei is a monster this generation now it has Sacred Fire (gg no re), and I'm assuming its even more amazing under sun. The thing tho is that you don't want to play Charizard Y like you would've had to last generation, switching in and out, you want him to act as a nice wallbreaker. Some other things of note are that you have both Sticky Web Galvantula and Defog Latias, which is very counterproductive if the opponent gets off rocks, as it makes you lose literaly all momentum you have. I'm also not a fan of Sticky Web to begin with, just because it plays so uniquely and it baits in things like Bisharp or the rare Malamar. A lot of threats arent even affected by it, such as Dragonite or Rotom W. Having both Entei and Charizard Y on the same team is redundant in my opinion, because both take the job of wallbreaker, and unlike Charizard, Entei can't power through three of the most common walls, Heatran, Rotom-w, or Landorus. In fact, it doesn't really power through much, and the only saving grace it has is the burn chance with Sacred Fire. Lastly, Pursuit Bisharp isn't effective. There really are no things that need pursuited, and its better to just start setting up on those things anyway, such as Latias.

As I said, Entei and Charizard Y are kind of redundant. Both wallbreak, but Entei is inferior. I would suggest a nice stop to Rotom-W and Heatran, in Assault Vest Conkelldurr. This little beauty loves to switch into things like Tyranitar, or absorb Will O Wisps from things like Trevenant or Gourgeist or Rotom-w. It also beats Heatran, one of the pokemon who hurt you really badly. Being able to hit Landorus-t for a crap ton of damage from Ice Punch also eases up sweeps. By running a set of Drain Punch/ Knock Off/ Mach Punch/ Ice Punch you check so many things, such as Lucario, Heatran, Landorus-t, etc. Knock Off is also a spammable move as nothing really likes losing their item. Lastly, you form that solid Fight/Dark/Psychic core with Latias and Bisharp.

Galvantula is also a weird one. You run both Sticky Web and Defog on the same team, which imo is a no no. Since you seem to have problems with Talonflame, try running ChestoResto Rotom-w. It has excellent synergy with Genesect, checks Talonflame immensely, while also being a really good mon to switch in and out and take on EQs and what not. Running ChestoResto over something like Assault Vest or Pain Split gives you a second life and immense momentum late game, especially if you wait as long as possible to use up your Chesto Berry. Rotom also happens to check so many other things and spreads burns around for your team to take advantage of.

Some of your movesets are a little weird. For one, Calm Mind Latias is never really going to work this metagame. Dark and Ghost typing just got such a HUUUUUGE boost, as well as the metagame shifting towards a faster more offensive pace. Not to mention you dont run Recover, and Draco Meteor kinda ruins any boosts you'll grab anyway. I would switch that out for either Roost or Thunderbolt. With Thunderbolt, you have a reliable answer to Azumarill, as well as bulky waters. However with Roost, you have a nice way to spam Draco Meteor throughout the match. Your choice, I would personally prefer Thunderbolt (note, it also hits Charizard Y hard as well). You should also run Life Orb if you do this, as you want to be hitting as hard as possible (hence being an offensive Defogger). Bisharp is also a weird set. 4 Attack Bisharp I just dont see working. Since you don't really have any sort of win condition, and Pursuit is not really needed (Knock Off punishes them enough) you can have nice switch ins to Defoggers such as Latias. Try using Swords Dance in its stead. SD Bisharp is a monster this generation what with Landorus-t running around. Lastly, I prefer Focus Blast on Charizard because it manhandles TTar Switch ins as well as still 2hkoing Heatran, but thats just me. Good Luck with your team, I hope I helped :)

Conkelldurr @ Assault Vest
Trait: Guts
EVs: 252 HP/ 252 Atk/ 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Knock Off
- Mach Punch
- Ice Punch

Rotom-w @ Chesto Berry
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP/ 48 Def/ 208 SpD
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump/ Hidden Power [Ice]
- Rest
- Will-o-Wisp

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)