SM OU floatland

false

maybe this is heaven
is a Tournament Directoris a Forum Moderatoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a defending SPL Championis a defending SCL Champion

INTRODUCTION

henlo everyone ٩(๑•◡-๑)۶ with my team being eliminated from snake, and generation 7 coming to a close, i thought i might as well document some of the teams i made during the season. at first i planned to just post all of my teams in the snake discussion thread (which i still plan to do!), but then it struck me that i hadn't made an rmt since oras. reading the showcase/archive rmts was arguably my favourite part of smogon when i was a brand new player; i always found it fascinating to learn about others' perspectives on teambuilding and the metagame, so i'm excited to finally be in the position where i can give back. while this is far from the most creative team i've put together, it's the one that i've most enjoyed using during the latter parts of sm ou, and i think is most indicative of the sm ou metagame as it stands currently; this ended up being one of the main teams i used during smogon tour weekends, as well as for team tests and other things of that nature.

IN-DEPTH ANALYSIS

Serperior @ Leftovers
Ability: Contrary
EVs: 56 HP / 200 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Leaf Storm
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Leech Seed
- Substitute

subseed serp has always been a favourite set of mine, however, it often suffers the misfortune of falling by the wayside in favour of other utility sets, usually centered around glare support. teams looking to support a slower wallbreaker such as mega mawile, or provide maximum utility for a hyper offensive team, are not going to be afforded the opportunity to use subseed. i understand that the value provided by glare can be a key component for those teams, but it's unfortunate, because subseed has the potential to be even more devastating as an individual win condition. i built this team around that idea, pairing serperior with teammates that attempt to create many avenues in which subseed serperior can come through. evs and moves are standard, 56 hp evs ensures that serperior's sub is not broken by rotom-w's stab moves, or ferrothorn's power whip.

Tapu Fini @ Leftovers
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 248 HP / 16 Def / 52 SpD / 192 Spe
Calm Nature
- Surf
- Moonblast
- Taunt
- Defog

a top-tier defogger for almost the entire generation; tapu fini is an easy pick for teams of this archetype. misty terrain's ability to shield serperior and kyurem-b from status grants them a much wider range of switch in opportuties, which is pivotal for a team like this which relies so heavily on them to provide the bulk of the breaking power. surf over scald because the additional chip on heatran and gliscor can be key in many matchups, and scald-burning the likes of tapu bulu isn't particularly valuable for a team boasting 4 grass resists. 196 speed evs creeps neutral-natured heatran/mega heracross and timid magearna. the bulk leans on the special side to best handle the likes of ash-greninja and heatran.

Scizor @ Scizorite
Ability: Light Metal
EVs: 248 HP / 16 Def / 244 SpD
Impish Nature
- U-turn
- Knock Off
- Bullet Punch
- Roost

i can't remember the first time i saw this set, but when i did i almost immediately took to it. i had always run swords dance scizor, forcing myself to choose between u-turn and knock off as the final attack, and then getting upset during the in-game when i find that the move i dropped would have been far more useful. running both attacks really seems to open up scizor's potential as a supportive threat, and i've found it to be a great complementary piece for this team. knock off boasts great synergy with serperior and kyurem-b, removing the the items from common defensive pokemon such as celesteela and heatran. u-turn generates momentum, allowing me to get those breakers in as often as possible. obviously there are some late-game scenarios in which swords dance can be missed, however, i have found that in many cases the way this scizor is able to create advantage in the early/mid-game provides at least equal return. additionally, just having scizor alive can often be enough to create favourable situations in the late-game, where scizor is simply able to outlast defensive countermeasures due to their lack of passive recovery. the evs here are pretty standard, with enough special defense to be an effective check to alakazam, and the rest thrown into defense to cover the likes of mega lopunny and kartana.

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 176 SpD / 80 Spe
Calm Nature
- Magma Storm
- Earth Power
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock

heatran sets rocks, brings a secondary steel-type; making the team much sturdier vs a number of things from tapu lele to mawile, and just generally does an admirable job maintaining its billing as one of the best pokemon ou has had to offer for over a decade. magma trapping provides great value for this team, getting rid of toxapex (a job made easy as scizor will consistently lure in and rid toxpex of its item), and putting mega latias on a timer (enabling serperior to stall it out). the heavy special defense investment allows heatran to best handle threats like mageara, and tornadus-t.

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 56 HP / 68 Atk / 112 Def / 40 SpA / 232 Spe
Naive Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Defog

arguably the best choice scarfer in the tier; landorus-t provides unparalleled role compression, and supplements the defensive backbone, providing an effective check to a number of mainly physical threats such as garchomp, landorus-t and mega medicham. hidden power [ice] is chosen as the filler move so that landorus-t can effectively check the aforementioned threats. the emergency defog can also be nice to remove hazards in matchups where tapu fini is being overloaded. the hp and defense evs give landorus-t the ability to effectively check choice scarf kartana and sd rockium garchomp amongst other things, while the special attack evs combined with a neutral nature ensure that landorus-t 2hkos gliscor with hp ice.

Kyurem-Black @ Icium Z
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Freeze Shock
- Ice Beam
- Fusion Bolt
- Roost

considering the 5 to come before it, a strong wallbreaker was pretty much going to be a necessity in the final slot, providing a strong offensive punch and preventing the team from being too weak/passive. the moves and evs are completely standard for z-move kyurem-b; z-freeze shock is absurdly strong, often allowing you to simply nuke a member of the opposing team when you decide to click it. i opted for a hasty (+spe | - def) nature because the speed-tier is key to being able to check offensive pokemon such as landorus-t, and having the additional spd can be important when attempting to check the likes of tapu koko and ash-greninja.

REPLAYS

smogon snake draft III - week 7 - zorodark vs twixtry
smogon tour 28 - week 7 - false vs mob barley
smogon tour 28 - week 7- false vs always!

IMPORTABLE
Serperior @ Leftovers
Ability: Contrary
EVs: 56 HP / 200 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Leech Seed
- Substitute

Tapu Fini @ Leftovers
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 248 HP / 16 Def / 52 SpD / 192 Spe
Calm Nature
- Surf
- Moonblast
- Taunt
- Defog

Scizor-Mega @ Scizorite
Ability: Light Metal
EVs: 248 HP / 16 Def / 244 SpD
Impish Nature
- U-turn
- Knock Off
- Bullet Punch
- Roost

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 176 SpD / 80 Spe
Calm Nature
- Magma Storm
- Earth Power
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 56 HP / 68 Atk / 112 Def / 40 SpA / 232 Spe
Naive Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Defog

Kyurem-Black @ Icium Z
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Freeze Shock
- Ice Beam
- Fusion Bolt
- Roost

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)