SM NU FLASHBACK

lax

cloutimus maximus
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnuswon the 10th Official Ladder Tournamentis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
RBTT Champion

Introduction

This is the team I used vs FLCL in Snake Phase 1. I feel like this team is a really good representation of the current SM NU meta with some cool ideas thrown in to account for the latest meta trends and whatnot. Overall, a really solid, balanced team with a standard structure.

DEPARTURE. (Passimian) @ Buginium Z
Ability: Receiver
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Knock Off
- Bulk Up
- Close Combat

Passimian is THE Pokemon of NU as of right now and that probably won't change for a while. The utility with momentum and a decent speed tier make it basically the only scarfer you should ever use. The set Kushalos originally used vs FLCL that dismantled his team. Since I also noticed fooly's AV Slowbro trend, I decided to also try building with Passi. Although the set wasn't really revealed in our game (I was too much of a pussy to pull the trigger and ohko his Accelgor), this set has a lot of promise if paired with another Pokemon that can pull off scarf, but also won't reveal that it is the scarfer. Pretty basic set with U-turn, the broken momentum move and Knock Off, the broken item remover move. The Z set runs Bulk Up to increase its attack and bulk and catch opponents by surprise. Lots of NU teams rely on fastest mon Passimian and if you Bulk Up and nuke something safely, the opposing Passimian struggles to revenge you. Close Combat finishes off the set because it is Passimian's strongest STAB move. Max-Max EVs to maximize its offensive potential.

ONE DROP IMPACT (Vanilluxe) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Snow Warning
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Blizzard
- Freeze-Dry
- Hidden Power [Fighting]
- Toxic

As I mentioned earlier, it is a lot easier to pull off the Passimian set if its paired with a mon that can utilize its scarf well while also not revealing it. The first thing that came to mind was scarf Vanilluxe. Vanilluxe is an extremely dangerous mon in NU and lots of teams struggle to switch in to the free 100% accuracy Blizzard + Hail combination. Scarf on Vanilluxe also lets it surprise mons that think they can outspeed it. Blizzard is used because its strong as fuck and doesn't miss under Hail.. Free-Dry adds a ton of coverage to Vanilluxe's movepool because its a STAB move that is also super effective against Water. HP Fighting is, in my opinion, the best HP coverage Vani needs because it easily nukes Sneasel and can also hit things like Probopass and even Incineroar pretty hard. I chose Toxic as the final coverage move because catching mons that switch in because they actually wall (basically only Cryo lol) or mons that have regenerator and want to scout your set (AV Slowking, Audino) get crippled pretty hard by Toxic.

RAIN (Druddigon) @ Leftovers
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 HP / 224 SpD / 32 Spe
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Dragon Tail
- Taunt

Druddigon is the perfect rocker for this team, and one of the best recovers for this meta. With the resurgence of Xatu spam, Druddigon is the only consistent rocker that can get them up vs Xatu teams. Mold Breaker is a really useful ability and cripples teams that rely on Magic Bounce really hard. This is just a random speed creep number because its usually up to player's preferences. Leftovers for the constant regeneration and max SPDef because its helpful for switching into things like Rotom, Slowbro, Delphox, etc.. SR and Dragon Tail are staples of this set because the constant rocks and phazing is really annoying for some teams. Toxic is a great move for Drud because a Toxic'd Xatu or Slowbro is basically useless and it helps cripple a lot of mons. Taunt is its final move because it allows Druddigon to keep its own rocks. Not letting opposing rocks get up opens up Vanilluxe more and lets it switch in to do damage more reliably. Druddigon is an amazing NU mon right now and has seen a lot more usage in Snake compared to the SPL meta.​

KANA-BOON (Silvally-Steel) @ Steel Memory
Ability: RKS System
EVs: 248 HP / 204 Def / 56 Spe
Timid Nature
- Flamethrower
- Parting Shot
- Defog
- Toxic

I'd like to take some credit for introducing Steelvally as a viable meta mon because I've been using this mon for a long ass while and even used it in 3/4 games this snake, winning all 3 of those games. Steelvally is an amazing mon right now because of its access to Defog and momentum, but more notably beating the dumb Flower mon. I'm not a huge fan of Comfey, but it's been very hyped and I used a team that was dismantled by it a few months back so I always make precautions. Plus, Steelvally doubles as a very solid Whimsicott and Vanilluxe switch in along with a solid speed tier. The evs are made to outspeed base 70s, so Decidueye, pretty much. I've always had a big fear of preparing for Decidueye because it always seems like it can do a lot every game but never does. As such, I opted for a light Decidueye answer considering I still have Passimian and Vanilluxe to RK. Flamethrower is the most suitable STAB for this team to dent Steelix and help answer Klinklang. People like U-turn but I always thought Parting Shot is a lot better because the Atk and SPAtk drops are super helpful. Defog and Toxic round up this set, demonstrating Silvally's insane utility. Toxic in particular is nice for crippling fat mons like Slowbro for example.

Slowvro (Slowbro) @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 20 Def / 176 SpA / 60 Spe
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Toxic
- Future Sight
- Slack Off​

This is my favorite Slowbro set as of late. Slowbro is another meta defining mon, along with Passimian and Incineroar. Regenerator is broken as shit and allows it to consistently switch in to a bunch of attacks. Colbur lets it eat threatening Dark moves and Scald/Toxic back. The EVs for this Slowbro are meant to outspeed annoying Palossands and hit them hard, while also retaining some bulk so it can switch in. Lots of SPAtk put in to dent mons with Scald and Future Sight. Moving on to the moves, all Slowbros run Scald, obviously. Why not run broken 30% burn fish move? Toxic is nice for crippling other Slowbros and mons that try to switch in to it. Future Sight is a kind of recent trend on Slowbro because its really easy to pressure mons out in NU. Slack Off because healing 50% is also kinda broken. I would go more in-depth but I feel like everyone knows exactly what Slowbros do.

THE DAY (Torterra) @ Leftovers
Ability: Shell Armor
EVs: 168 HP / 252 SpD / 88 Spe
Careful Nature
- Swords Dance
- Wood Hammer
- Earthquake
- Synthesis

This final set is another trend I'd like to claim. I think I used the first Torterra in NU play in SPL vs Pohjis, but that was a rocks set. This new trend involves having another rocker paired with SD Tort and its been seen a lot in Snake games so far. It works perfectly because Torterra offers type coverage, defensive and offensive utility, and most important an Electric immunity. Leftovers so it can switch in more consistently and Shell Armor so it wins the Heliolisk Hyper Voice spam games for sure. This is another random creep spread that also depends on player preference, but this one can outspeed Incineroars that aren't heavily invested into Speed, like the Iapapa Berry sets. SD lets it set up on mons like Xatu freely and threaten a lot of stuff. Really threatening set, especially for teams that rely on Xatu.

KANA-BOON (Silvally-Steel) @ Steel Memory
Ability: RKS System
EVs: 248 HP / 204 Def / 56 Spe
Timid Nature
- Flamethrower
- Parting Shot
- Defog
- Toxic

Slowvro (Slowbro) @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 20 Def / 176 SpA / 60 Spe
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Toxic
- Future Sight
- Slack Off

RAIN (Druddigon) @ Leftovers
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 HP / 224 SpD / 32 Spe
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Dragon Tail
- Taunt

ONE DROP IMPACT (Vanilluxe) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Snow Warning
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Blizzard
- Freeze-Dry
- Hidden Power [Fighting]
- Toxic

DEPARTURE. (Passimian) @ Buginium Z
Ability: Receiver
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Knock Off
- Bulk Up
- Close Combat

THE DAY (Torterra) @ Leftovers
Ability: Shell Armor
EVs: 168 HP / 252 SpD / 88 Spe
Careful Nature
- Swords Dance
- Wood Hammer
- Earthquake
- Synthesis

Conclusion

This team basically screams FUCK XATU and that's what its meant to do. I think it uses a lot of sets that define the current NU metagame and its really solid. Here's the Snake game I used it in: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen7nu-394659

I didn't watch this anime but this OP is sick as fuck and the inspiration of the title. I bet you could play this at a party and no one would notice it's even an anime OP. Pce​

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)