XY OU First Real Competitive Team- Can anyone help?

Hi people of Smogon, I just recently decided to get into Competitive after playing since Red. I looked around and put together a team that I've tested in Showdown and liked quite a bit, but it has some serious weaknesses. If anyone could simply give me tips that would be fantastic.
Edits in Blue

#1: Coitus Killer

Cloyster @ White Herb Focus Sash
Ability: Skill Link
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Rock Blast
- Icicle Spear
- Razor Shell
- Shell Smash

This seems to be a standard Skill Link Cloyster setup, and I've really enjoyed using it. Unfortunately, I cannot get the hang of when to switch to it, and often get OHKO'd before even getting a chance to attack, much less Shell Smash effectively. I like using it, but I think I mostly just need to learn to better. And for background, the razor shell is there to provide some water STAB to take out any fire types switched in, but it hasn't been overly effective. Focus Sash is so I get a mostly guaranteed shell smash.

#2: Simirror CuddleDeath

Gengar @ Choice Scarf Azumarill @ Choice Band
Ability: Levitate Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe EVs: 228 HP / 252 Atk / 28 Spe
Timid Nature Adamant Nature
- Thunderbolt - Aqua Jet
- Shadow Ball - Play Rough
- Sludge Bomb - Waterfall
- Dazzling Gleam - Superpower

I used Gengar through my entire original X playthrough, and I love the speed and power this thing packs. With dazzling gleam and the rest of the coverage, it's saved me a couple of times in competitive, but it really hasn't been as effective as I'd hoped. I really wouldn't mind replacing it, especially because my Goodra ends up filling the same role in better ways most of the time.
Azumarill seems like kind of an odd replacement for Gengar, but as I said, Goodra can often fill its role and this is something I really needed on my team. Huge Power and Choice Band gives it an insane amount of attack power, and aqua jet can often OHKO with priority. It also benefits more from my Scolipede's Baton Pass and can sweep after removing counters.

#3: Foxbat

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 244 HP / 248 Def / 16 Spe
Impish Nature
- Protect
- Substitute
- Toxic
- Earthquake

This thing is my saving grace as of late. It works incredibly well as a physical wall and has great resistance coverage compared to the rest of my team. Toxic stalling has allowed me to win quite a few times, but I do often find myself running into a flying type/Levitate user and I can't do anything but spam useless moves and hope it faints from Toxic.

#4: Kelsey

Goodra @ Choice Specs Assault Vest
Ability: Gooey Sap Sipper
EVs: 232 HP / 252 SpA / 24 SpD
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- Thunderbolt
- Sludge Wave

Goodra has been pretty dang useful, being able to take practically any special hit, and surprisingly, quite a few physical ones as well. It also hits pretty hard and has been able to take out more than a few pokemon. However, none of its abilities are really that great for this moveset and it has kind of a redundant role with gengar on the team as well. With Assault Vest and Sap Sipper, I can now switch into basically any of Azumarill's counters, take them out, and switch back.

#5: Pimpin'

Scolipede @ Focus Sash
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Protect
- Baton Pass
- Megahorn

This is my lead for the majority of the time, often getting in one or two swords dances, protecting, and then passing on the attack and speed to something like Cloyster or Scizor. However, half the time, it's been working better to stay in and use Megahorn than pass to either of those. The sash has saved me quite a few times though.

#6: Wolverine Burnt Tips

Scizor @ Scizorite Charizard @ Charizardite X
Ability: Technician Ability: Blaze
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe 144 HP / 252 Atk / 112 Spe
Adamant Nature Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance - Dragon Dance
- Bullet Punch - Dragon Claw
- Bug Bite - Fire Punch
- Roost - Roost

Now theoretically this should be a fantastic member of my team. I've seen it used really well, taking out whole teams with a couple of swords dances and priority technician bullet punch. But for me, this has seemed to be kind of a frail, seldom useful 'mon. Even with a swords dance, bullet punch often fails to take out opponents, and roost has yet to be helpful.

I tried making recommended edits to scizor, but it really just kept falling short. Charizard is great because I can use it in a very similar way, but it covers my weaknesses better and gives me an additional bulky sweeper with a recovery option. He wins me a lot of battles, especially by avoiding the mega until after an EQ goes off, leaving me immune to it.

I've had some good wins with this team, but I've had a LOT more bad losses. Two massive weaknesses I've noticed are Fighting moves like Close Combat and entry hazards. I know Rapid Spin can help with the hazards, but I don't know where I'd fit it in. I would really appreciate any help that I can get, even just as a general thing since I'm so new to this whole scene. Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Scizor is a great pokemon don't get me wrong but those speed evs are wasted cause scizor is too slow to outpace anything. Its better used in its bulk. Try this. 252Attk 200hp 50def. Mega scizor uses its bulk to get lots of swords dances which is where roost comes in handy to restore its health. So yeah try that spread out. Works great.

Oh okay, thanks. I also realized that not only do I lose to fighting types/moves a lot, but that I am in desperate need of one myself. Any suggestions to fit it into my team?

Your team has a quite a few things to work out. First off choice scarf on gengar isnt a recomended thing. Id use a life orb as it provides gengar lots of power. And if you plan to replace it use a water type like azumairl. Azumaril patches up your fighting type problem as it resists fighting and slaughters fighting types with play rough. Also works in tandem with goodra as goodra can take grass and electric attacks for azumaril while azumaril takes ice and dragon attacks. I recomend switching goodra's ability to sap sipper in order to help out azumaril even more. No need to change goodra as its a pretty good set. Just needs a better teammate. Azumaril can use a choice band in order to make a choice core. As for your cloyster its more of a cleaner. Make sure its counters are ko'ed before you use it as they can just switch in and stop you from sweeping. Its counters are bulky water types and fighting types. Use goodra and azumaril to take them out so cloyster can sweep. And use a focus sash on cloyster to ensure you get one shell smash boost. Like what you got going on with gliscor so he's all good. As for scizor and scolipede you cant have both so its eaither one or the other. And if I were to make a suggestion id use a different mega like charizard X mawile or medicham. Scolipede can pass boosts to them to turn them into killing machines. Hope this helps.

Wow, thank you so much! I've made some changes to my team, which I'll add to an edit in a second. I really appreciate all the advice.

You shoud change the set of Gengar and Goodra.

Goodra:
Goodra @ Assault Vest
Ability: Sap Sipper
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Fire Blast
- Draco Meteor
- Sludge Wave
- Ice Beam

Gengar:
Gengar @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Wave
- Destiny Bond
- Focus Blast

Lord Wallace

Hentai Connoiseur
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Hey man pretty interesting team.

In general, Latios highly outclasses Goodra as a Dragon type Specs user and Dragonite out classes it as a bulky Dragon in general.
I would save Goodra for UU tbh, it's hard to justify using in OU.

And yeah i would recommend another set on Gengar as well.
As it stands you struggle against stall a lot, especially because I dont feel like youre using Scolipede to its full potential, so a more utility oriented Gengar can really help you out.
Here's the set:
Gengar@Black Sludge
Timid
28 HP/ 148 SpA/ 80 SpD/ 252 Spe
Shadow Ball
Taunt
Substitute
Disable/Will-o-Wisp

This spread allows your Sub to survive Clefable's unboosted Moonblast and Sub Taunt Gengar is absolute hell for stall teams in general, and gives you some form of early hazard control for Cloyster (as you currently have none, may want to look into that)
Shadow Ball can probably work just fine as your only attack and the last move is up to whether you like the residual damage or want to really screw with defensive mons like Quagsire by Disabling the only move they can hit you with. Both are effective.

I feel like a bulky Landorus-T would be highly beneficial as a defensive pivot over your Gliscor on this team, and it gives you that slow U-turn necessary to safely get your Cloyster in and set up. Plus you get a source of Stealth Rocks that you currently lack.

That said Cloyster isn't very good in OU either but if you're set on using it please give it Ice Shard over Razor Shell or Rock Blast so it can at least respond to weakened opposing priority users instead of just dying.

And finally, I'm not really seeing what you want to Baton Pass to with Scolipede.
Nothing on this team really takes advantage of Baton Pass Speed Boost enough to justify using it.
I recommend replacing Mega Scizor for a Mega with some real devastating power to make use of Speed Boost Scolipede more effectively. Think along the lines of Mega Heracross or Mawile.

Honestly this needs a lot of work, but hopefully my suggestions can at least help get this team in the right direction.
Good luck!

I finally added an edit with my new team, so there's that. Part of the reason I prefer Gliscor to Landorus is that I'm also in the process of making this team in X, so I can't exactly breed a perfect Landorus. I also know that ice shard would be nice on Cloyster, but after a shell smash and/or baton pass from Scolipede, it can generally outspeed enough. The razor shell and rock blast both help me OHKO different things switching in, so I'd rather just keep them. I do think I really need a rapid spinner/entry hazard set up still, but I can't figure out how I could replace a current team member effectively. Possibly Forretress for Gliscor now that I no longer have another Bug/Steel?

Lord Wallace

Hentai Connoiseur
I finally added an edit with my new team, so there's that. Part of the reason I prefer Gliscor to Landorus is that I'm also in the process of making this team in X, so I can't exactly breed a perfect Landorus. I also know that ice shard would be nice on Cloyster, but after a shell smash and/or baton pass from Scolipede, it can generally outspeed enough. The razor shell and rock blast both help me OHKO different things switching in, so I'd rather just keep them. I do think I really need a rapid spinner/entry hazard set up still, but I can't figure out how I could replace a current team member effectively. Possibly Forretress for Gliscor now that I no longer have another Bug/Steel?
Forretress is horrid in OU, and Ice Shard is mostly to have something for opposing priority. Doesn't matter how fast you are opposing priority (pretty damn common in OU) will shred Cloyster.

Lord Wallace

Hentai Connoiseur
Well if you're using Zard X, Excadrill is a great partner for it.
Cloyster is trash anyway so drop it to make room for Excadrill.
I still recommend you drop Goodra as well, and I'm still not really seeing why you need Scolipede either. Nothing on your team needs it's support to function and nothing becomes a threatening sweeper specifically because of its support.
You just need to rethink the focus and purpose of this team
Do you want to sweep with Zard X?
Or do you want something to take advantage of Speed Boost Baton Pass?
Can Goodra help my team succeed more than Latios (source of Defog as well) or Dragonite?
Ask yourself these things.

I do agree that I probably need to trash cloyster but unfortunately that's the first one I bred in X, so I finally got a 5iv one xD. I'd prefer to keep it but I guess I can always just put it on another team, I'll try out the excadrill.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)