ORAS UU First Competetive Team

Cloud_Motion

Wi-Fi Blacklisted
Hello Smogon, after the tips I received in other threads about breeding and passing down IV's, I've managed to get my first proper team set up (thanks for those who helped me by the way, you know who you are)

So. I'll get right to it.

Cloyster (Shelly) - Adamant - Focus Sash
Skill Link - 252Atk, 252Spd, 4HP

Shell Smash
Rock Blast
Icicle Spear
Razor Shell
I chose Cloyster as my attack lead due to the Shell Smash and it's wide coverage. The Focus Sash mostly guarantees me to get off a free Shell Smash, and the points in Attack and Speed mean that I can likely outspeed anything that comes into play for a few turns. Then the skill link allows me to get off a lot of hits with my rapid moves, which I think also have great coverage, as there's not a ton of things out there that can resist all three of these.

So for the most part, with the exception of priority moves, sandstorms etc, I can heavily damage or kill a 'mon or two.

Shelly is mainly my use and throw 'mon, who I'll usually lead with, unless I spot a threat on the other team that could get past the Sash.

Ferrothorn - Relaxed - Leftovers
Iron Barbs - 252HP, 252SpD, 4Def

Leech Seed
Gyro Ball
Stealth Rocks
Power Whip
Ferrothorn is in here as I really like the design of him, and he has the added benefit of being an awesome wall from all I've seen; a good alternate lead to my Cloyster if I spot a potential hazard to it.

Stealth Rocks seem to be a standard entry hazard, so I hope the reasoning for that is self-explanitory.

He has Leech Seed and Leftovers so he can keep his health up, whilst dealing out damage with Power Whip, and his Relaxed Nature + 0IV in Speed allows for Gyro Ball to hit pretty hard. So I think I made a good choice with this guy.

Jellicent - Calm - Unsure about item
Water Absorb - 252HP, 252Def, 4SpD

Scald
Will-O-Whisp
Recover
Shadow Ball/Something else?

I think Jellicent makes a good back-up to Ferrothorn's major fire weakness, with it being water and-all, and is a decent backup Wall to Ferrothorn, as she has solid Defence and HP. Recover allows her to stall out, whilst the Will-O does burn damage. Scald is good for the Fire/Ground/Rocks I might be facing, and has the added benefit of getting in a burn, saving me having to risk a Will-O miss.

I replaced Ice Beam with Shadow Ball, with the addition of Cloyster to my team, but with Jellicent having a glaring Dark weakness, and no held item that I can think of being beneficial, I'm unsure whether to keep her, or to replace her with someone else. I am already covered with a Water strength with my fast, if frail, Cloyster. So any tips on Jellicent would be heavily appreciated.

Krookodile (Waylon (points for reference))- Adamant - Life Orb/something else?
Intimidate - 252Atk, 252Spd, 4HP

Earthquake
Brick Break
Crunch
Stone Edge

I'm really liking Krookodile so far, and he covers the Fire/Thunder/Dark/Ghost weakness of both Jellicent and Ferrothorn, and I think I have him with a pretty solid move pool that can dish decent damage to most types.

I'm just not a fan of his frailty. The points here go into his Attack and Speed, so he can dish out good damage, fast. Though Stone Edge misses more than I'd like, I'm not sure I should replace it with anything.

I'm thinking of giving him a Life Orb for the sake of him likely getting OHKO'd anyway, so I can't see the health drop being a big issue.

And here is where I'm really beginning to need help. I'm entirely unsure about my last two 'mon. I personally love my Gardevoir coming up next, but it hasn't been IV bred like the others and I think I can honestly see the difference. She's pretty frail and doesn't manage to out-speed as much as I'd like, despite the EV's pumped into Speed.

Gardevoir (Raz) - Rash - Gardevoirite
Synchronise - 252SpA, 252Spd, 4HP

Psychic
Moonblast
Hypnosis
Calm Mind

So, Gardevoir is probably my favourite Pokemon of all time, and if possible, I'd like to keep her on my team, though I see that I need to breed for a better nature and IV's. Her Moonblast is good for any Dragon types/Darks that I come into contact with, and she has the added benefit of getting great STAB on Moonblast and Psychic.

I tend to mega evolve her at most opportunities, but I'm not sure she's really suited for it and I think she'd be better suited with Choice Specs. I think Calm Mind is great, but I hardly ever manage to pull it off and tank more than one solid hit, unless my Hypnosis has hit (which I understand also needs to go). If she has to go in preference of someone more beneficial though, then I'm all for it.

And last but not least, is:

Magnezone (Bolt) - Timid - No idea on the item, Specs, maybe?
Magnet Pull - 252SpA, 252Spd, 4HP

Thunderbolt
Flash Cannon
Explosion
Magnet Rise

I think Magnezone is awesome, but really doesn't fit into my team at all, and should probably be replaced by something with offensive fire moves. Maybe a Lucario with Fire Punch or something?

For the most part, this particular Magnezone seems about as fast, if not a little slower than, my Krookodile, but a bit more tough.

The Thunderbolt is good for hitting flying types who can't really do anything to most of my team anyway, as the Iron Barbs on Ferrothorn usually deters them, and I already have Flying covered by Krookodile's Stone Edge.

Magnet Rise is mainly filler for if I'm going up against Ground/Rock, I can survive an Earthquake and then strike back with Flash Cannon. But I usually get out-sped anyway, so I'm assuming that's down to the IV's and maybe a few EV's pumped in the wrong direction (I used this guy for a bit of the story, but used Reset Bags).

And finally, Explosion is my last resort if Magnezone manages to survive a hit and is up against something it has no chance of defeating.

And that's the end of that. If I knew how to tag people, I'd put a shoutout to Buckert here for his 6IV Ditto.

Looking over this, I really think I need to get rid of Magnezone, as it just doesn't fit in or offer good coverage at all. I was thinking of maybe replacing it with a Chandelure, but I'm not sure I'm too into the frailty of Chandelure, and I already have Ghost covered by Jellicent's Shadow Ball.

But yeah, that's pretty much my post. Looking forward to suggestions, tips and potential replacements for both 'mons and moves.

Thanks for your time Smogon!

Edit: Apologies. I posted this in UU, and it seems this team is more of a mix.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)