Final Grades/GPA thread/School/University Discussion

I'm on medical leave from University due to severe depression, unfortunately. My grades dipped considerably the semester before this one, due to romantic issues that I simply wasn't able to resolve. My grades that Term where A, two B's, and two C's :(

Really sucks, since I had prior aspirations to get a Ph.D in Mathematics.

I will hopefully be heading back to Cambridge in the Fall to straighten things out.
Entry into PhD programs is normally just based on your Honours project, and not on your undergraduate results.

chaos

is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis an Administratoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnus
Owner
Entry into PhD programs is normally just based on your Honours project, and not on your undergraduate results.
He meant Cambridge as in, Cambridge Massachusetts. In the USA entry into PhD programs is extremely competitive and based on GPA, GRE scores, letters of recommendation, your statement of purpose, and most importantly, your prior research experience.

I go in high school. Where I go my notes aren't given in letters but in percentage: my average is about 90% in all classes. In the near future, I want to study philosophy/history(Ancient Rome and France mainly)/mathematics. Call me crazy for wanting to study so much stuff, but hell I'm gonna do it.

I maintain a 4.8 GPA and a class rank of 3. I'm a Freshman by the way.

Grades:
P.E.: A+ (100%)
Honors Advanced Algebra (A.K.A. Algebra II): A (94.338%)
Honors Physics B: A (95.307%)
Honors English I: A(+) (97.889%)
Choir Ensemble: A (92.936%)
Honors Latin I: A (94.884%)

cookie

my wish like everyone else is to be seen
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
My personal tutor informed me that my average over two years lets me stay on the four-year course (the marks don't come out for a couple weeks but this is the time when people who have failed get notified so he just unofficially told me).

He meant Cambridge as in, Cambridge Massachusetts. In the USA entry into PhD programs is extremely competitive and based on GPA, GRE scores, letters of recommendation, your statement of purpose, and most importantly, your prior research experience.
Oh, I see. Yeah, my lab mate plans to apply to do his PhD in Harvard in the Marcus Lab; he got a University Medal for his Honours project, has a WAM of 91, was the first person in the country to fabricate quantum nanostructures here, and has letters of recommendation from the president of the AAO and editor of the most-read astronomical journal in the world (his Dad), and the head of our lab who happens to be one of Charlie Marcus' golden boys.

He just needs to do the exams this year, and then he should be able to enrol next year, (which means he'll have completed the first two years in Australia, then the last three at Harvard.

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I maintain a 4.8 GPA and a class rank of 3. I'm a Freshman by the way.
4.8 out of 4?

Insert bitter statement about schools that label any course "honors" to give their kids an advantage here.

I ended up with a 3.30 this semester at RPI I think? I have no idea how I pulled that off and I bet my grade will tank to right around a 3 after next semester.

Got my first semester results since coming back to law. 67 for Property (disappointing, but expected since I tanked and only got 24/40 on the midsemester, meaning I got roughly 73% in the exam); 73 for Administrative Law, and 76 for Legal Profession. I've got my fingers crossed for a 75+ in my Federal Constitutional Law course, the marks for which are delayed.

Da Letter El

Officially internet famous
is a Community Leader Alumnus
Final Semester Grades:

AP Psych - A
AP Econ - A-
AP Physics - A-
AP Calculus - B+
Short Fiction - A-
Faith of Catholics - A-

Not bad considering i really didnt try (not that I ever really try). Second semester senior year, and I do better than I do junior year...wow. Also got my AP scores back. 5's on macro and micro, 4 on psych, 3's on physics and calculus. Still shocked I did as well as I did on physics.

So after working my ass off during the last bit of the year I'm glad it payed off (no summer school, did not fail year, etc.) :

Language (French) : 69
2nd Language (English) : 85
Math ('Normal') : 92
Math ('Advanced') : 66
Science ('Normal') : 70
Science ('Advanced') : 60
History : 67
The other courses are small stuff like P.E and optional arts.

I just don't know how I passed the 'Advanced' Science class. There were so many things I had to remember (and I'm not really good at remembering) and I was for sure I'd flunk. I'm guessing the teacher really, really liked me.

Hooray for average grades from a lower-class student!

Got my grades and AP scores back...not good.

Grades:
AP Physics C Mechanics: A
AP US History: A
AP Chemistry: C (79.4% last I checked - I'm going to talk to my teacher to see if I can bump this)
AP Calculus BC: A
Health: A
Strength and Conditioning: A

AP Scores:
AP Physics C Mechanics: 3
AP US History: 5
AP Chemistry: 2
AP Calculus BC: 4 (AB subscore of 4)

SAT Subject Test Scores:
Math Level II: 800
US History: 730
Chemistry: 640

I was in Europe for the first semester so I guess this is pretty impressive. Chemistry was easily the hardest class I have ever taken. I came in with no prior classes in physics or calculus, so I'm pretty proud of what I've accomplished. But that C in Chemistry really, really hurts. I have 2 B's in my high school career and I don't want to add a C to that. I'm looking to get into a really good school (Tufts is my #1 right now) and I can't afford a C. With a B I can say I was close to an A or that the semester off hurt (which it did but meh). And my GPA would be 3.906 unweighted (4.156 weighted), which looks much better than 3.875.

Next year I'll be taking PSU classes (the local university offers 3 sort of affiliated classes at my high school). My schedule lines up to be: PSU English, PSU Statistics, PSU World Civilizations, Constitution Team (maybe the most difficult thing I'll ever do), AP Biology (might switch to 3rd Year Japanese), 3rd Year Latin, and another session of Strength and Conditioning. Oh, yeah, and I'll be starting a board gaming club, working 30 hours a week, and the #1 pitcher and catcher for my school's baseball team. I wonder if I'll survive...

I'm hoping some people could chime in on the admissions process for colleges. When did you start looking? How did you set up interview/campus visits? How far ahead were you planning? I'm pretty bewildered about all of this and my parents aren't any help.

I'm hoping some people could chime in on the admissions process for colleges. When did you start looking? How did you set up interview/campus visits? How far ahead were you planning? I'm pretty bewildered about all of this and my parents aren't any help.
I knew where I wanted to go in like, 10th grade, so I'm not sure if that helps. I sent in my first application around September of my senior year and heard back from them around late October. The key to college admissions is to do them as early as possible. I did one campus visit, but I did it after I got accepted. A lot of my freinds did campus visits in their Junior year and early senior year if that makes a difference. I didn't really plan ahead, just kind of winged it. Its not that bad, the worse part to be honest is waiting for that first "accepted" letter to get there.

Jimbo

take me anywhere
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I would start looking near the end of Sophomore year. Looking early makes things a lot less stressful. As a preliminary way of looking, pick up a book or two on colleges (I used the College Prowler's book, it's gigantic and has a ton of info on colleges). Skim through it and pick out some colleges you like.

If you have a specific major in mind or have a specific location that narrows it down and makes things even easier.

As for interviews... what I found was that most universities that want interviews will set them up for you (as in, call you/email you). Some universities require you to set them up, though. Also, make sure you start your applications early (I started the summer before Senior year). A lot of people end up really stressed out because they don't start early enough.

-----

Also, on another note, I got my roommate and dorm assignments. Here is my room, it's pretty small... Does anyone have any suggestions on where to put a TV? I'm considering putting the microfridge underneath the window with a fan on top (thanks phil) but I'm at a loss for where a TV could go.

Does anybody here have experience with an IB program at their high school? I'm wondering whether it's worth it, most schools seem to carry it like a badge of honor but I'm not sure if I should do it. I already have most of the music training I need to get into a Conservatory, and I'm thinking since I've been ready for entrance auditions since about 8th grade that I might consider putting the effort into it.

(International Baccalaureate is a High School program that combines two years of AP equivalent advanced classes and lots of mandatory extra-curricular stuff)

My marks for this year were:

Grade 10 Math - 97%
Grade 10 Outdoor Fitness - 100%
Grade 10 Science - 95% [Biology = BORING LOL] :P
Grade 10 English - 97%
Grade 10 Careers & Civics - 100%
Grade 10 History - 95% [Should of been a 93-94 but the teacher was really nice to me and offered a bonus assignment that he gave the other classmates]
Grade 11 Chemistry - 95%
Grade 11 Physics - 94%

[All IB Courses except Outdoor Fitness + Careers & Civics]

First semester average was 96% [Math, Science, English, Chemistry]

Second semester average was 97.25% [Outdoor Fitness, History, Physics, Careers & Civics]

Also, I'm in Grade 10, Grade 11 in September.

Edit: Ramen, the IB program is really useful if you want to learn at a higher level. Your grade percentages will seem lower but it's only because what you're doing is that much harder.

Did AP Scores get mailed or have you all called in to get your scores? D:

AP World History: A (95%)
Honors English 10: A- (93%) [should've been an A but the teacher decided to change the curve on the final at the last minute]
French III: 97% (A)
Honors Chemistry: 97% (A)
Honors Algebra II: 97% (A)

I left out all the boring classes like Health and Sports Nutrition. :toast:

Also Jimbo- you could try putting a TV in that wardrobe at the end of the bed, or maybe in one of the cabinets above the bed. I s'pose you could also put it on the desk if there was room.

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
If you called in to get your AP scores, you are what's wrong with the college admissions process in America today.

@Jimbo: That actually is rather small for a dorm... I would loft one bed and put the TV under it. Use the other bed as a makeshift couch. Optionally, mount the TV to the wall above the bed. The other solution is to use an LCD monitor as a TV, on a pivot on your desk.

supermarth64

Here I stand in the light of day
is a Contributor Alumnus
My mom is Asian and wanted to know really badly, so she decide to call in (well rather, she forced me to call in).

4 AP US History.
4 AP Bio.
5 AP Calc AB.
5 AP Comp Sci A.

730 Bio SAT II in June.

83 English Honors
79 AP US History Part 2
91 AP Calc AB
77 AP Biology
90 Spanish Honors
93 AP Comp Sci A
100 Gym
100 Health

My overall GPA fell like 2 points this year =/. Been talking with Jimbo and tennisace about colleges. Stupid senior year.

Eraddd

One Pixel
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Does anybody here have experience with an IB program at their high school? I'm wondering whether it's worth it, most schools seem to carry it like a badge of honor but I'm not sure if I should do it. I already have most of the music training I need to get into a Conservatory, and I'm thinking since I've been ready for entrance auditions since about 8th grade that I might consider putting the effort into it.

(International Baccalaureate is a High School program that combines two years of AP equivalent advanced classes and lots of mandatory extra-curricular stuff)
If you have the time, then do it. Everyone keeps whining but quite frankly, if you can spend around 30-60 minutes per subject/class everyday, (which you should, unless you're some sort of amazing athlete or spend every second day saving dying children in Africa) then you should be fine.

Oh, and if you're worried about the grades, go regular. IB is about the process of learning, not getting grades.

Also, on another note, I got my roommate and dorm assignments. Here is my room, it's pretty small... Does anyone have any suggestions on where to put a TV? I'm considering putting the microfridge underneath the window with a fan on top (thanks phil) but I'm at a loss for where a TV could go.
If possible, I recommend trying to set up your computer with a TV tuner/decoder, so you can watch TV on the high-res PC screen you may or may not have, then you can rotate the screen and watch it from your bed.

Alternately, put the TV on the desk in the near schematic corner, angled towards the bed and sit with your head towards the door, then you can watch it on your back.

Alternately again, if you bunk the two beds on top of each other, you can put the TV on a small table under the cabinets, and both of you watch from your beds.

Speaking of IB, I failed to get my diploma because I apparently got an E on it, even though my predicted grade was a C from an IB veteran teacher. Oh well.

College is where you make the choices that impact you life anyway.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)