Fighting in a Minefield - A UU Warstory

Fighting in a Minefield

Introduction

I haven't posted one of these in a while because I really haven't had any good UU battles recently (possibly due to the metagame, but who knows).

After coming home from seeing Avatar (AWESOME), I felt like laddering a bit, and the LC ladder is dead at ridiculous hours in the morning / at night, so I decided to try my luck on the UU ladder.

I have been testing a team revolving around my favourite combination in the tier at the moment: Swellow and Froslass. These Pokemon are just so ridiculously broken together, imo, so I usually like keeping them both on my teams. Anyways, I had a couple easy matches to warm up, but I was not expecting this for my 3rd or 4th match!

This warstory is named 'fighting on a minefield' because I felt that avoiding residual damage was a huge part of how and why the match turned out as it did, for both players. Anyway, here is the battle:

I am using %'s but I rounded them to the nearest %, so if a Pokemon randomly gains or loses a % of HP it isn't craziness it is just rounding!

Battle:

Rules: Ladder Match, Sleep Clause, Freeze Clause, OHKO Clause, Evasion Clause, Species Clause, Strict Damage Clause

Heysup sent out Arcanine (lvl 100 Arcanine ?).
vielIeis sent out Uxie (lvl 100 Uxie).
Arcanine's intimidate cut Uxie's attack!
matty has entered the room.

vs

Uhg, Uxie is one of the more annoying leads for Arcanine to face, especially Leftovers variants who don't have a "get out of paralysis" free card (AKA Lum Berry). My first concern about Uxie is the fact that it can set up Stealth Rock. My second concern is that it can set up screens. Anyway, Froslass is a good switch-in regardless; worst case scenario I get Thunder Waved. Once Spikes are up, teams have stupid amounts of trouble with Swellow.

Heysup switched in Froslass (lvl 100 Froslass ?).
Uxie used Thunder Wave.
Froslass is paralysed! It may be unable to move!
---

(Prz)
vs

Well, that was the "worst case scenario". However I am still in a great position since I am guaranteed at least one layer of Spikes(barring Paralysis..). He has a few options, depending on his move set. He could set up Stealth Rock or hit me with an attack, allowing me to get up possibly two layers of Spikes. Or he could U-turn out to something dangerous. Either way, Spikes Spikes Spikes!

Uxie used Knock Off.
It's super effective!
Froslass lost 5% of its health.
Uxie knocked off foe Froslass's Leftovers!
Froslass used Spikes.
Spikes were scattered around the foe's team!
---

(Prz)
(95%) vs

Knock Off, interesting. This leads me to believe that he has some sort of Rapid Spinner, otherwise Spikes would be too much for him to risk. 1 Layer down. Again, he can either set up Stealth Rock, hit me, or U-turn out.

Uxie used Stealth Rock.
Pointed stones float in the air around the foe's team!
Froslass is paralysed! It can't move!
---

(Prz)
(95%) vs

-_-. I guess it was bound to happen at some point. I'm assuming he is going to switch out this turn, since I don't believe he can do much to my bulky Froslass except watch me set up Spikes. Hopefully I can grab at least another layer of Spikes.

Uxie used U-turn.
It's not very effective...
Froslass lost 4% of its health.
vielIeis switched in Moltres (lvl 100 Moltres).
Moltres is exerting its pressure!
Froslass used Spikes.
---

(91%) vs

Which news do you want to hear first, the good news or the bad? Obviously the good news, which is that I got another layer of Spikes up. The bad news is that I lost momentum, and Moltres is an absolutely huge threat to my team. My main switch in to Moltres is Milotic, which easily avoids a 2HKO from most Moltres. I use a Life Orb Milotic, it's really awesome in this metagame with Arcanine everywhere.

Heysup switched in Milotic (lvl 100 Milotic ?).
Pointed stones dug into Milotic.
Milotic lost 12% of its health.
Moltres used Air Slash.
Milotic lost 46% of its health.
Moltres lost 10% of its health.
---

(42%) vs
(90%)

Question: You know what's a bigger threat to my team than a Timid Moltres?

Answer: Modest Moltres.

I didn't want to sacrifice the SpA EVs to survive a modest Moltres 2HKO with Stealth Rock....but I guess I should consider that even though I have a spinner.

Anyway, I really need to get rid of this thing at all costs. Milotic is going to be useful later if he has a Spinner of some sort, since Milotic 2HKOes every Rapid Spinner.

I think my best best here is to unfortunately sacrifice Arcanine get some Life Orb recoil damage on Moltres and possibly put it in easy KO range for my other Pokemon.

Heysup switched in Arcanine (lvl 100 Arcanine ?).
Arcanine's intimidate cut Moltres's attack!
Pointed stones dug into Arcanine.
Arcanine lost 25% of its health.
Moltres used Air Slash.
Arcanine lost 62% of its health.
Arcanine's leftovers restored its health a little!
Arcanine restored 6% of its health.
---

(19%) vs
(80%)

Moltres is a pain in the ass, however Arcanine can take another hit after Morning Sun, and I will always outspeed Modest variants. Maybe he'll miss???

vielIeis switched in Uxie (lvl 100 Uxie).
Arcanine used Morning Sun.
Arcanine restored 50% of its health.
---

(75%) vs

Wow, that is a relief. Maybe he was scared of Thunder Fang, or maybe he wants to save Moltres's precious HP from Life Orb recoil, either way, I am happy that Moltres is not in anymore.

I need to get Stealth Rock up since Moltres will be stupidly annoying if I don't. Uxie can't stop Donphan from setting up Stealth Rock, the worst thing that could happen is that I get Leftovers Knocked Off, which is a great trade for Stealth Rock!

Heysup switched in Donphan (lvl 100 Donphan ?).
Pointed stones dug into Donphan.
Donphan lost 6% of its health.
Uxie used Knock Off.
Donphan lost 3% of its health.
Uxie knocked off foe Donphan's Leftovers!
---

(91%) vs

I have done a measly 10% to his team, while he has done a huge amount to my team already. Anyway, once I get Stealth Rock up that will change.

Uxie used U-turn.
Donphan lost 10% of its health.
vielIeis switched in Blastoise (lvl 100 Blastoise ?).
Blastoise was hurt by Spikes!
Blastoise lost 19% of its health.
Donphan used Stealth Rock.
Blastoise's leftovers restored its health a little!
Blastoise restored 6% of its health.
---

(81%) vs
(87%)

Shit, Blastoise is one of the tougher Spinners to remove AND it's an obstacle for Swellow.

This next move is hugely important since it decides whether my Spikes and Stealth Rocks stay up. I think it's a good bet to assume Blastoise is going to use Surf first, since he knows I have a Spin Blocker. So I'll go to Sceptile to laugh at the Surf, scare off Blastoise, and hopeully get into a SubSeed cycle which can be deadly with entry hazards.

Heysup switched in Sceptile (lvl 100 Sceptile ?).
Pointed stones dug into Sceptile.
Sceptile lost 12% of its health.
Blastoise used Rapid Spin.
Blastoise blew away the spikes!
Blastoise blew away the pointed stones!
Sceptile lost 6% of its health.
Sceptile's leftovers restored its health a little!
Sceptile restored 6% of its health.
---

(88%) vs
(93%)

Damn it. He made an excellent prediction and basically removed everything I had worked for in these opening turns. This looks really bad for me. At least I can set up a Substitute and fire off a Leaf Storm at whatever comes in, I'm assuming it is Uxie since it has U-turn. Best to hit it hard while I can.

Sceptile used Substitute.
Sceptile lost 25% of its health.
Sceptile made a substitute!
---
Sceptile used Leaf Storm.
Uxie lost 43% of its health.
Sceptile's special attack was harshly lowered.
Uxie used U-turn.
It's super effective!
The substitute took damage for Sceptile!
Sceptile's substitute faded!
---

(75%) vs
(80%)

As expected, Leaf Storm hits Uxie pretty hard, however Moltres is in now, and I really can't do much about it. My switch-ins are severely crippled, and none of my Pokemon can really revenge kill it either. I think my only option right now is to sacrifice Sceptile and use Leech Seed on Moltres so that Arcanine can stall it out. Forcing a miss with Air Slash would be tedious as well as it would allow him to Roost as opposed to starting off with 80% HP after Life Orb.

Sceptile used Leech Seed.
Moltres was seeded!
Moltres used Air Slash.
It's super effective!
Sceptile lost 75% of its health.
Heysup's Sceptile fainted.

Arcanine's intimidate cut Moltres's attack!

---
(Sceptile - 0%) 5-6
(50%) vs
(70%)

There goes Sceptile...sacrificing this early is never a good sign. I'm going to attempt to outstall his Air Slash with Leech Seed and Morning Sun on Arcanine. Well, either that or force him out.

Arcanine restored 49% of its health.
Uxie's leftovers restored its health a little!
Uxie restored 6% of its health.
---

vs
(63%)

This works well for me as well, since Arcanine is now health enough to stall out Moltres or at least take an Air Slash when I need to. This also gives me a chance to Rapid Spin Stealth Rock away. Since he is likely going to try and Thunder Wave Arcanine again, he seems to be having problems with it since it seems to be the only thin between Moltres and a sweep.

Uxie used Knock Off.
Donphan lost 3% of its health.
---

(72%) vs
(70%)

Excellent. Now I can finally get these rocks off of the field. I can see that Blastoise or Moltres are probably going to be coming in though, which is bad news.

Uxie used U-turn.
Donphan lost 10% of its health.
Donphan used Rapid Spin.
Donphan blew away the pointed stones!
Blastoise lost 5% of its health.
---

(62%) vs
(94%)

Well Donphan is slower than Blastoise and is easily in Blastoise's KO range. I wonder if I can take this chance to get Milotic healthy again, since Blastoise's Surf will barely damage it. Sceptile is gone anyway, so it's pretty well my only option.

Blastoise used Yawn.
Milotic became drowsy!
Blastoise restored 5% of its health.
---

(42%) vs

Damn, I need to switch out again, but I'm not sure if he is going to bother using Surf yet, since he can just spam Yawn until I let one of my Pokemon sleep. This is my chance to get Froslass out and set up Spikes once again. Froslass is paralyzed already, so Yawn will do nothing to it.

Blastoise used Yawn.
But it failed!
---

(Prz)
(91%) vs

That worked flawlessly. Anyway, this is why Froslass is the best Spikes: Blastoise can't spin away the Spikes while I'm setting them up.

Blastoise used Surf.
Froslass lost 37% of its health.
Froslass used Spikes.
---

(Prz)
(54%) vs

I got my layer of Spikes up, which will really help Swellow sweep late game...if possible.

Blastoise is a major obstacle for Swellow, since it's defensive enough to take a couple Facades. Luckily my Froslass carries Pain Split which allows me to severely weaken Blastoise and heal myself.

Blastoise used Surf.
Froslass lost 38% of its health.
Froslass used Pain Split.
Froslass restored 45% of its health.
Blastoise lost 43% of its health.
---

(Prz)
(61%) vs
(63%)

Froslass has exceptional longevity when given the right movepool and EVs. Anyway, now that he knows I have Pain Split he will probably try to heal one of his other Pokemon, so hopefully I can get some more Spikes up.

Froslass used Spikes.
---

(Prz)
(61%) vs
(77%)

Shoot, or not. He is going to for sure set up Stealth Rock here, so I think I should take this chance to activate Swellow's Flame Orb and hit Uxie hard with U-turn to abuse the Spikes I just set up. If I'm lucky he will sacrifice Moltres or Blastoise to Swellow, since he doesn't seem to have much defense besides Uxie and Blastoise.

Heysup switched in Swellow (lvl 100 Swellow ?).
Uxie used Stealth Rock.
Swellow was burned!
---

(Brn)
vs
(83%)

As expected. I still don't know his entire team, so I don't want to start spamming Facade yet. However, I do know that he doesn't have a Ghost (didn't come in on Donphan) and that U-turn is always a safe move. I think my best bet is to go to Arcanine since it's the only Poekmon his Moltres doesn't absolutely destroy if he uses U-turn or predicts my switch. It's important that I use U-turn often because it a) abuses Spikes and b) allows me to minimize burn damage.

Swellow used U-turn.
It's super effective!
A critical hit!
Uxie lost 68% of its health.
Arcanine's intimidate cut Uxie's attack!
Uxie used U-turn.
Arcanine lost 5% of its health.
Blastoise was hurt by Spikes!
Blastoise lost 19% of its health.
---

(76%) vs
(51%)

Luckily I crit, but that doesn't really help my scenario.

This is a problem. I can either risk sending Milotic into a Yawn with Stealth Rock on the field (BAD), or I can risk Arcanine or Froslass getting nailed by Surf. I think Arcanine is my safest bet since it actually survives Blastoise's Surf. However, the best I can do to Blastoise is Burn it, but at least that seals it's fate. I also don't mind Arcanine being Yawn since it will let me send Froslass in next anyway. I hope he Yawns.

Arcanine used Will-o-wisp.
Blastoise was burned!
Blastoise used Surf.
It's super effective!
Arcanine lost 68% of its health.
Blastoise was hurt by its burn!
Blastoise lost 12% of its health.
---

(14%) vs (Brn)
(46%)

Ugh, he didn't Yawn. Well that's fine I guess, all I need to do is somehow get Milotic out. This turn I think it's pretty obvious what he is going to do, my issue is that I need to pull off a very risky maneuver to come out of this with Froslass, Arcanine, and Spikes still intact. Here, I think it is obvious he will Spin because "why would I switch when Arcanine will die to SR next turn". Time for Froslass to block his Spin once again.

Pointed stones dug into Froslass.
Froslass lost 25% of its health.
It doesn't affect Froslass...
---

(Prz)
(36%) vs (Brn)
(40%)

Okay, so far so good. Now here I need to make another risky prediction, which is Switching Milotic in. His dilemma is that if I manage to set up another layer of Spikes, as long as one of his last Pokemon isn't Rhyperior, Regirock, Steelix, or Aggron, or something with some reasonable physical bulk, I will have an easy time plowing through his team. I'm assuming he has something with some respectable physical defense in that spot, but not more than Blastoise or Uxie since those are his best switch-ins. Anyway, hopefully my logic is sound and he doesn't use Rapid Spin.

Pointed stones dug into Milotic.
Milotic lost 12% of its health.
Blastoise used Surf.
A critical hit!
Milotic lost 22% of its health.
---

(6%) vs (Brn)
(34%)

Awesome, I pulled it off as Milotic survives the critical hit Surf by a hair.

Now here is yet another situation where it's a possible win-lose prediction. With the lack of my Leftovers Recovery, I can assume he knows my Milotic is Life Orb. I think this means he will get Blastoise out of there while he still can, and let me sacrifice Milotic. Hopefully this means I can have a chance to recover.

Milotic used Recover.
Milotic restored 50% of its health.
Milotic lost 2% of its health.
---

(55%) vs (Brn)
(28%)

Son of a @#$%. He outpredicts me yet again. This is starting to look quite awful for me, I don't have Spikes up and I'm 1 Pokemon down with a bunch of my Pokemon who are incredibly weak. I guess at least I can recover again and get my Moltres switch-in back.

vielIeis switched in Umbreon (lvl 100 Umbreon ?).
Milotic used Recover.
Milotic restored 45% of its health.
---

vs

Well it seems I was dead on about his last Pokemon's defenses, however I don't think it will be that hard to get around Umbreon (at least with a physical attacker). I'm assuming it's going to either stall out my Life Orb Hydro Pump with Protect and Wish, or heal Blastoise. Either way, I can send in Donphan who can set up Stealth Rock, Spin, and possibly KO Umbreon or at least weaken it.

Umbreon used Mean Look.
Donphan was trapped!
---

(56%) vs

Mean Look... this could get pretty awful if he is a Curse variant, though I can always burn it and beat it with Arcanine and Milotic. Anyway, I think it's pretty obvious that my primary concern right now is getting Stealth Rock off the field so Swellow, Arcanine, and Froslass can function.

Umbreon used Toxic.
Donphan was badly poisoned!
Donphan used Rapid Spin.
Donphan blew away the pointed stones!
Umbreon lost 5% of its health.
Umbreon's leftovers restored its health a little!
Umbreon restored 5% of its health.
Donphan is hurt by poison!
---

(Psn)
(50%) vs

Toxic is better than it being Curse at least, though I will still undoubtedly lose Donphan now. That's another Pokemon down for me, but at least I can set up Stealth Rock so that he can't freely switch Moltres in.

Umbreon used Wish.
Umbreon made a wish!
Donphan used Stealth Rock.
Donphan lost 12% of its health.
---

(Psn)
(38%) vs

Alright, time for me to pelt him with Earthquake and hopefully crit. I might even be able to KO Umbreon if it doesn't use Protect.

Umbreon used Toxic.
But it failed!
Donphan used Earthquake.
Umbreon lost 45% of its health.
The wish came true!
Umbreon restored 45% of its health.
Donphan lost 19% of its health.
---

(Psn)
(19%) vs

Alright, so while I wait for Donphan to bite the dust, I think about my next plan of action. I think the best thing I can do is honestly set up Spikes so that Umbreon can't stall out Swellow (I don't know if it has Protect or an attacking move yet).

Umbreon used Wish.
Umbreon made a wish!
Donphan used Earthquake.
Umbreon lost 42% of its health.
Umbreon restored 6% of its health.
Donphan lost 17% of its health.
Heysup's Donphan fainted.
---

4-6
(Psn)(Donphan - 0%) vs

There goes Donphan. Froslass is my best choice right now, once I have Spikes up and Blastoise gone I should have an easy time sweeping. It's getting to that stage without losing that's going to be the problem...

(Prz)
(36%) vs
(64%)

Now he is either going to switch to Blastoise, which is OK since he would still be in KO range from Milotic, or he will Taunt or use Payback and heal itself with Wish. Either way, Spikes are my key to winning this battle.

Pointed stones dug into Blastoise.
Froslass used Spikes.
The wish came true!
Blastoise restored 50% of its health.
---

(Prz)
(36%) vs (Brn)
(56%)

Alright, I'm not willing to give up Froslass yet, but if he gets rid of Rocks here I am in deep shit since Moltres can switch in freely and destroy me. I think Froslass being alive is pretty important for back-up Spikes and Spin Blocking if he manages to outpredict me. It also can still heal from Umbreon.

Blastoise used Surf.
Milotic lost 11% of its health.
---
vielIeis: i win this
vielIeis: and you know that

Heysup: hmm

(89%) vs (Brn)
(50%)

I know nothing! I have two options here: I can either risk the 79.49% I have to KO him from 50%, or I can attempt to maneuver around Rapid Spin with Froslass in order to make sure he is KOed 100% of the time. Either way, he will probably switch out, but 79.49% is a pretty big number, I think I can rely on it.

Milotic used Hidden Power.
It's super effective!
Blastoise lost 49% of its health.
Milotic lost 10% of its health.
Blastoise blew away the pointed stones!
Milotic lost 2% of its health.
Blastoise lost 8% of its health.
vielIeis's Blastoise fainted.
---

4-5

(77%) vs (Blastosie - 0%)

Damn Shoddy Battle and its douchebaggery! That puts me in some deep shit, Moltres is free to roam the sky without taking 50% per switch-in. At least Blastoise is out of the way? :(

vielIeis switched in Sceptile (lvl 100 Sceptile ?).

Heysup: that damn 20.51% chance
vielIeis: lo milotic Oo

(77%) vs

Alright, so he has a Sceptile which could potentially be problematic, but I don't think he is going to be Specs or Life Orb since he is using a mainly defensive team besides Moltres (who is still alive and well unfortunately). Arcanine is probably my best bet because I don't want to lose my one hope of beating Moltres. Worst case scenario: he Leaf Storms and KOes Arcanine. Best case scenario: I heal Arcanine up.

Arcanine's intimidate cut Sceptile's attack!
---

(20%) vs
(81%)

Well at least he didn't attack me. Now just incase he has an attack that can KO me, I am going to use ExtremeSpeed to break his substitute. If he doesn't have anything to hit me with, I am free to heal myself back up.

Arcanine used Extremespeed.
Arcanine was seeded!
Arcanine's health was sapped by leech seed!
Arcanine lost 12% of its health.
Sceptile regained health!
Sceptile restored 13% of its health.
---

(14%) vs

Well it looks like I can use Morning Sun and heal myself up. This is a pretty cocky move on his part since I think he knows Arcanine will be able to outheal Moltres's Air Slash. If he uses Roost on Moltres I can simply switch to Milotic and force him back out. Things are still looking grim though, as my best check for Moltres is 2HKOed...

---

(58%) vs

Time to heal up again! Once I heal up I am going to attempt to mind game him into giving me a chance to Flare Blitz and OHKO him.

Sceptile used Energy Ball.
Arcanine lost 17% of its health.
Sceptile restored 1% of its health.
---

(85%) vs

Alright, I'm healthy enough to take him on now. Let's see if I can manage to trick him into wasting Substitutes.

vielIeis switched in Umbreon (lvl 100 Umbreon ?).
Arcanine used Flare Blitz.
Umbreon lost 48% of its health.
Arcanine was hit by recoil!
Arcanine lost 18% of its health.
Umbreon regained health!
Umbreon restored 11% of its health.
---

(61%) vs
(33%)

Umbreon, interesting. He could easily outheal me with Wish, Protect, and Leech Seed, so this is still a bad matchup for me. However I am happy that Umbreon is weakened enough for Swellow to beat. Speaking of Swellow, there is no better time for me to switch it in since if he uses Protect now he can't use it to buy a turn for Flame Orb to hurt Swellow. It's worth a shot anyway.

Umbreon used Toxic.
But it failed!
Swellow was hurt by its burn!
Swellow lost 12% of its health.
---

(Brn)
(88%) vs
(40%)

Toxic again I see, that's actually great news. He has nothing to take Swellow's Facade now, so time to start spamming Facade! Actually, I need to play this well since I only have so many attacks on Swellow.

Swellow used Facade.
A critical hit!
Umbreon lost 40% of its health.
vielIeis's Umbreon fainted.
---

4-4

(Brn)
(76%) vs (Umbreon - 0%)

An unnecessary crit KOes Umbreon as he doesn't want to sacrifice anything else. Who is next?

(Brn)(Swellow - 76%) vs (Uxie - 14%)

Uxie. I think I'm going to U-turn out so I don't need to take another round of Burn damage when I KO it. Again, when using Swellow minimizing Stealth Rock and burn damage is super important.

Swellow used U-turn.
It's super effective!
Uxie lost 14% of its health.
vielIeis's Uxie fainted.
---

4-3

(Prz) (Froslass - 36%) vs (Uxie - 0%)

Froslass is essentially useless at this point besides the possible Spikes it could set up. However, since Blastoise is down, it doesn't quite matter to me.

vielIeis switched in Raikou (lvl 100 Raikou).

(Prz) (Froslass - 36%) vs (Raikou - 100%)

This could be awful if he is SubCM. In fact I could easily lose right here if he is SubCM. I need to Taunt it just to make sure it can't take out Arcanine and Swellow with boosted Thunderbolts.

Raikou is exerting its pressure!
Raikou used Shadow Ball.
It's super effective!
Froslass lost 36% of its health.
Heysup's Froslass fainted.
Raikou lost 10% of its health.
---

3-3

(Prz) (Froslass - 0%) vs (Raikou - 90%)

Thankfully it's Life Orb. I simply need to revenge kill Raikou now.

Side note: Froslass had a great battle. It showed how Froslass CAN last throughout most of the match.

(Brn)(Swellow - 76%) vs (Raikou - 90%)

Hopefully he switches in Moltres to take Facade, but I think he will just let me hit Raikou. Swellow is stomping through his team!

Swellow used Facade.
Raikou lost 90% of its health.
vielIeis's Raikou fainted.
---

3-2

(Brn)(Swellow - 64%) vs (Raikou - 0%)

Raikou down, who's next!

(Brn) (Swellow - 64%) vs (Sceptile - 100%)

Shit. I can't OHKO Sceptile without sacrificing Swellow, and I'm really not ready to do that since Swellow is clearly my key to victory. I think the best thing for me to do here is U-turn out and send in Arcanine to deal with Sceptile once again.

Swellow used U-turn.
It's super effective!
Sceptile lost 74% of its health.
Arcanine's intimidate cut Sceptile's attack!
---

(Arcanine - 67%) vs (Sceptile - 7%)

Bleh, it still got a Substitute up. I think the smartest thing for him to do right now is to Leech Seed me and beat me with Moltres. However I think I smell a comeback!

Arcanine was seeded!
It's super effective!
Arcanine lost 8% of its health.
---

(Arcanine - 53%) vs (Sceptile - 25%)

As expected, he used Leech Seed. However I can now finish him with ExtremeSpeed, hopefully allowing me to beat him with Swellow since I will be safe from another burn damage tick.

Moltres lost 27% of its health.
Moltres regained health!
Moltres restored 13% of its health.
---

(Arcanine - 47%) vs (Moltres - 55%)

Ugh. That is a great play by him and it puts me in a horrible situation. I need to actually hit him with Flare Blitz the turn he decides to Attack in order for him to be in Facade KO range, otherwise I think I'm in trouble. I will ExtremeSpeed initially though so I don't hit myself with recoil damage and faint prematurely.

Moltres lost 27% of its health.
Moltres used Roost.
Moltres restored 50% of its health.
Moltres regained health!
Moltres restored 13% of its health.
---

(Arcanine - 41%) vs (Moltres - 90%)

This blows :(. However I think it is time for me to sacrifice Arcanine to hit him as hard as I can, putting him in Swellow KO range.

Moltres lost 31% of its health.
Arcanine lost 10% of its health.
Moltres used Air Slash.
Arcanine lost 29% of its health.
Heysup's Arcanine fainted.
---

2-2

(Arcanine - 0%) vs (Moltres - 49%)

Yes! I got him into Facade KO range. Time to send out Swellow and hopefully finish this.

vielIeis: fuckin swellow
vielIeis: >-<

(Brn) (Swellow - 64%) vs (Moltres - 49%)

Indeed. Swellow has been a huge pain in the ass to him this match. Facade spamming time!

Swellow used Facade.
Moltres lost 50% of its health.
vielIeis's Moltres fainted.
---
2-1
(Brn)(Swellow - 52%) vs (Moltres - 0%)

One more.

(Brn)
(Swellow -52%) vs (Sceptile - 25%)

I hope I don't miss...you know with Bright Powder being so common. I just want to point out here that if I had switched into Stealth Rock a couple times, Swellow would be no more. That's why I think it's so important to be careful when to send Swellow out.

Swellow used Facade.
vielIeis's Sceptile fainted.
Heysup wins!

2-0

(Brn) (Swellow - 52%) vs (Sceptile - 0%)

Whew, that was a tough match, I didn't think I had a chance until I turned the tide late game with Swellow. Good game vielleis!

vielIeis: gg

matty: game was legit

Heysup: gg

matty has left the room.

• Swellow is awesome.
  • Froslass is awesome.
  • Moltres is a huge threat.
  • Very fun intense battle based in keeping Spikes on the field and minimizing burn damage!
Slops:

• Him not having an effective Swellow counter.
  • Me not having an effective Moltres counter.
MVP:

Swellow (M) @ Flame Orb
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 Atk/4 Def/252 Spd
Jolly nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Brave Bird
- Facade
- Quick Attack
- U-turn
---

Swellow was unbelievable this match. It helped abuse Spikes with U-turn and turned the tide of the with a late game sweep.

Also, ding 2000?

Couple shout outs:

eric the espeon: Grats on mods and everything. Thanks for being super nice and reasonable all the time. FATHER OF LC.

Gen_Empoleon: Gine_Empoleon. Thanks for helping me study for calculus and being cool.

SDS: SDS is the only person with 3 personalities I know. One is cool, another is smart, and the last one is just a huge douchebag.

Vader: Vader is a cool guy. We are living proof that Jews and Arabs can get a long. Learn from us Middle-East!

Elevator Music: Our ladder races are always fun, and it's nice to be second best sometimes :)

Fuzznip and Xia: Thanks for being ballin grammar checkers

GK: my number 1 buddy in LC.

Beef: my ex-number 1 buddy in LC. Come back you dumbass.

Dracoyoshi: slugma sucks, GET OVER IT!

Macle: We dislike the same people. Mooocle.

MGX, Askaninjask, Dubulous, Altair, Tennisace, Kannon, iss, Psyke etc: Thanks for being really cool in IRC and on the forums. Stay active!

Deck Knight: We are the sons of Abraham.

Xianglongfa: Froslass is broken bud.

reachzero: Thanks for being understanding all of the time :)

Lemmiwinks MkII: Thanks for keeping me in check in the UU forum.

I guess I'll stop here before I get flamed/trolled and/or ICBB :)

I hope you enjoyed this warstory :)

iss

let's play bw lc!
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
=)

I always love HYU's posts

Anyways, it was a pretty good warstory. I think you probably should have explained your thought process more, as it was pretty dull otherwise. The battle itself was great, though. 8.2/10 (lol)

Grats on 2k! (You know what I'm posting for 200 =)

Matthew

I love weather; Sun for days
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Yes this was a pretty good warstory overall, I thought the comments should have been touched up a bit more but no matter it was still a very good read to me! Also thanks for the shout-out.

eric the espeon

maybe I just misunderstood
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Congratulations on 2k, and nice warstory. Good predictions, even match, insightful comments, only complaints would be a few little things like "a free "get out of paralysis" free card" and the triple ? on "Maybe he'll miss???", but they don't really matter. Thanks for the shoutout :)

Alchemator

my god if you don't have an iced tea for me when i
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Great warstory and with no spelling mistakes (which is a pet hate of mine). Definately makes me want to get into UU after the suspects get out.

I say no spelling mistakes but:
Props:

• Swellow is awesome.
  • Froslass is awesome.
  • Moltres is a huge threat.
  • Very fun intense battle based in keeping Spikes on the feild and minimizing burn damage!
Damn...

Bluewind

GIVE EO WARSTORY
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
Good warstory. I also liked your Swellow+Froslass combo a lot, well thought.
Also congrats on your 2k =)

congrats on 2k, and I think the warstory really helped show how well Froslass manages to set up Spikes even in the face of death as well as Swellows capability of fucking teams over, especially with your kind of support.

Shame Milotic didnt see much action though, but oh well great warstory and congrats once more on the 2k!

And thanks for the mini shout out :)

Great warstory, but one nitpick...

Toxic is his 4th move I see, that's actually great news. He has nothing to take Swellow's Facade now, so time to start spamming Facade! Actually, I need to play this well since I only have so many attacks on Swellow.
He already used Umbreon's Toxic to KO Donphan, remember?

JabbaTheGriffin

Stormblessed
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Comments lacking and you had a pretty clear team advantage so you just had to play straightforward until Swellow could sweep.

All in all average warstory.

this was a pretty fun read but it seems like you played pretty sloppily at parts at the beginning and in the middle. still a good warstory though.

This was rather good IMO. A fun battle that made a great read. The best part was the fact that it showcased many of the key elements of the current metagame. Froslass is the best Spiker, Blastoise is the best spinner, GWF cores are everywhere, and Flying is the most fearsome offensive type going, and so on. Loved the SubSeed Sceptile use also.

Some bad points though. Both your teams had obvious drawbacks that really showed. Yours being the lack of a Dark or Flying resist (both are quite nasty, particularly the latter), and his/hers being the lack of Normal resist which is also bad, particularly without any priority or Choice Scarf. Also, did you try and contact your opponent before writing this? Because his/her comments could have added some extra substance to the warstory.

Anyway, it was a fun read and well written, which is the important thing. Good job!

Great warstory and with no spelling mistakes (which is a pet hate of mine).
Sorry to ruin your day again...

FlareBlitz

Relaxed nature. Loves to eat.
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Incidentally, Facade would have ohko'd Sceptile if U-Turn did 75% (SE U-turn = 140 EBP, Facade = 210 EBP). Besides that, good match and good comments.

Eo Ut Mortus

Elodin Smells
is a Programmeris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SCL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
Well, I read through this and thought the commentary was okay, and I initially thought the battle wasn't bad until I noticed that your opponent's team is just asking to be EATEN by Swellow. Of the three Pokemon that aren't OHKOed by Facade, Uxie and Umbreon can do absolutely nothing to Swellow, meaning Blastoise (who is 2HKOed by Facade the majority of the time) was his only defense against it - an easily exploitable weakness. Frankly, I believe that you could have swept with Swellow much earlier and quite easily. Also, I really don't think Froslass was as important to your victory as you made it out to be - and I hope that you're not just praising it in an attempt to try and to plug it as BL.

It wasn't a bad read, but the battle kind of let me down in the end.

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
To be honest, I really didn't enjoy the battle and the comments just struck me as "wow I'm in a bad situation" repeated over and over again.

Seconding general comments about the commentary being solid and the effort you put into making it being there, but the battle being pretty lackluster. The person who made more correct predictions lost; you'd have had to have fucked up pretty badly to lose with the teams as they were. Some unexpected twists made it interesting, though.

Nice battle, Heysup. Great to see the use of Swellow as such.
< points to avvy

You made a few mistakes here, but most were simply overpredictions. And btw, how much does a Swellow Facade actually do to SubSeed Sceptile?

Random Note: Save Post #2010 for New Year's. :D

Good warstory, I thouroughly enjoyed it! Also congrats on the 2k!!
Good warstory. I also liked your Swellow+Froslass combo a lot, well thought.
Also congrats on your 2k =)
congrats on 2k, and I think the warstory really helped show how well Froslass manages to set up Spikes even in the face of death as well as Swellows capability of fucking teams over, especially with your kind of support.

Shame Milotic didnt see much action though, but oh well great warstory and congrats once more on the 2k!

And thanks for the mini shout out :)
Thanks!

Great warstory, but one nitpick...

He already used Umbreon's Toxic to KO Donphan, remember?
I always make silly C/P errors. It should have read something like "Toxic once again". Thanks for pointing that out.

Comments lacking and you had a pretty clear team advantage so you just had to play straightforward until Swellow could sweep.

All in all average warstory.
Average warstory from an average user then. However Moltres and Sceptile (until I hit it with U-turn and found out it's spread) would very possibly be able to survive Facade, so it wasn't too straightforward. Thanks for the honesty at least.

Was a good read. What set were you running on Froslass?
Bulky Froslass.

this was a pretty fun read but it seems like you played pretty sloppily at parts at the beginning and in the middle. still a good warstory though.
Yea, I realized that as I was writing it, but when you think about it they weren't that bad considering I had no prior knowledge of his Pokemon's spread or natures. For example, me getting raped by Moltres was because I was switching in Milotic into a thought to be Timid Air Slash. Thanks for the honesty though.

Fun read, as usually with Heysup
but he called me a dumbass =(
Thanks. Come back to LC and you will no longer be a dumbass!

This was rather good IMO. A fun battle that made a great read. The best part was the fact that it showcased many of the key elements of the current metagame. Froslass is the best Spiker, Blastoise is the best spinner, GWF cores are everywhere, and Flying is the most fearsome offensive type going, and so on. Loved the SubSeed Sceptile use also.

Some bad points though. Both your teams had obvious drawbacks that really showed. Yours being the lack of a Dark or Flying resist (both are quite nasty, particularly the latter), and his/hers being the lack of Normal resist which is also bad, particularly without any priority or Choice Scarf. Also, did you try and contact your opponent before writing this? Because his/her comments could have added some extra substance to the warstory.

Anyway, it was a fun read and well written, which is the important thing. Good job!
Thanks Lemmi. Yea, I made this team just as something for when Honchkrow is possibly gone and to see if it was really Froslass who was being absurd and not just Swellow. Thanks, and my opponent did not speak english as their first language (german I believe), so asking them to write a warstory commentary would be a little much :P. I do agree that dual commentary is quite a bit better than just one point of view.

Incidentally, Facade would have ohko'd Sceptile if U-Turn did 75% (SE U-turn = 140 EBP, Facade = 210 EBP). Besides that, good match and good comments.
Yea, but I wouldn't have known that until U-turn occurred. I mean I guess I could have assumed, but I didn't want to risk losing Swellow 'on a hunch', since that was the only way I'd win.

Moltres is evil. Decent battle, nice commentary.

Congrats on the 2000 Heysup.
Thanks.

Well, I read through this and thought the commentary was okay, and I initially thought the battle wasn't bad until I noticed that your opponent's team is just asking to be EATEN by Swellow. Of the three Pokemon that aren't OHKOed by Facade, Uxie and Umbreon can do absolutely nothing to Swellow, meaning Blastoise (who is 2HKOed by Facade the majority of the time) was his only defense against it - an easily exploitable weakness. Frankly, I believe that you could have swept with Swellow much earlier and quite easily. Also, I really don't think Froslass was as important to your victory as you made it out to be - and I hope that you're not just praising it in an attempt to try and to plug it as BL.

It wasn't a bad read, but the battle kind of let me down in the end.
I think Froslass was pretty important because keeping Spikes up is what weakened Blastoise and stopped Moltres from annihilating me.

Also, Moltres is never OHKOed by Facade (98% max iirc assuming it uses the standard Modest spread), so it was another obstacle.

The fact that if I let him keep Stealth Rock on the field and etc, Swellow wouldn't have been able to sweep (and that's why I couldn't sweep with Swellow earlier actually). So while I do agree it might have been a bit of a mismatch, it wasn't as easy as you make it out IMO. Maybe not my best work -_-.

And thanks for the title idea.

To be honest, I really didn't enjoy the battle and the comments just struck me as "wow I'm in a bad situation" repeated over and over again.
Thanks for the honesty, I'll try to work on that next time :)

We be ballin'.

Like everyone else said, not a bad warstory. Congrats on the 2k. =]
Thanks Log.

Seconding general comments about the commentary being solid and the effort you put into making it being there, but the battle being pretty lackluster. The person who made more correct predictions lost; you'd have had to have fucked up pretty badly to lose with the teams as they were. Some unexpected twists made it interesting, though.
Good to hear that you found it at least a little interesting.

Nice battle, Heysup. Great to see the use of Swellow as such.
< points to avvy

You made a few mistakes here, but most were simply overpredictions. And btw, how much does a Swellow Facade actually do to SubSeed Sceptile?

Random Note: Save Post #2010 for New Year's. :D
Thanks. And that Avvy is awesome by the way.

SubSeed Sceptile is quite hard to judge for a spread, since fully defensive ones are actually very viable. It was a matter of "do I risk losing on a hunch that he runs a not-defensive spread"

IronBullet

Astronomy Domine
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Nice warstory, decent battle, a bit lackluster though.
And you made a few mistakes due to overprediction, but that happens to everyone.

Congrats on the 2k.

Wow swellow and moltres really drill holes in teams...no wonder ap got to 1652:P

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)