Sports FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022

awyp

'Alexa play Ladyfingers by Herb Alpert'
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
I am so sad Costa Rica didn't win, they could have knocked out Spain and I would have lost my mind. At least Germany lost which is a W
There was a split moment in time where Costa Rica and Japan were going to go onto the next round which would've been the craziest thing I think to happen in world cup history because they were this close to knocking out Germany AND Spain (2 of the last 3 teams to win a World Cup).

I love the Japanese team they have so much spirit and pride and you can tell they play their hearts out and they don't get phased by the competition, I'm excited for Croatia vs Japan in the next round.

Wondering if Portugal is going to play their full squad tomorrow or anything close to it because depending on how much Ghana scores tomorrow and if Portugal loses it could mean them facing Brazil which I don't think they want in the round of 16.

De Bruyne said before the tournament (way before, in fairness) that Belgium had no shot at winning despite having a good team because they were too old but Belgium exiting the tournament before the rounds of 16 is nonetheless a huge blow to this team. One can appreciate De Bruyne's honesty but if even he didn't think they could win what were they doing here? Lukaku missed incredible chances he will probably regret for his entire life and I can't imagine what he has been feeling since yesterday especially considering he's a black player and black players playing for european countries are always 1 missed opportunity from being reminded of their skin color (looking at you, England). Strength to him. Back to football Belgium was incredibly limited in ability to play and the absolutely minuscule 1 goal they scored coming from a pass of the central back to Batshuayi is a testament to how poor they were and this elimination was thoroughly deserved. In that group Morocco was clearly a notch or two above everyone else and Croatia could count on a great midfield and a central back who is already a revelation of the tournament in Joško Gvardiol who has been incredible in the two games of Croatia I've watched against Canada and Belgium. Now it's time for Belgium to figure out who they'll keep and who will leave, they aren't starting over but they're pretty close to it.

Speaking of teams who have to start from very far, Germany have two years to figure out how to win important games so as to not embarass themselves yet again during the Euro they're organizing. As opposed to Belgium Germany didn't play so poorly but they lost a game they never should have lost and drew a game against Spain they probably should've won. The World Cup with 32 teams does not forgive such mistakes and that's what makes it a thrilling format. Spain's loss to Japan was surprising but the goals they conceded were not; the first one in particular was the result of a loss of possesion close to the goal, something that Germany was unable to punish despite several gifts. This sends Spain in the path of Morocco and I honestly can't wait, this will assuredly be a historic game. I have relatively little faith in Cameroon being able to beat Brazil who still haven't conceded a single shot on target (their opponents are to blame to an extent but good luck against Thiago Silva and Marquinhos who know the other by heart) but Ghana are in good position against a Uruguay team who has shown literally nothing. That would make 3 African teams advancing which would be a return to form after the Russian debacle.

Overall I would say the favorites are Brazil, France and Spain with Portugal as an outsider from what I've seen in this tournament. Brazil have shown some weaknesses against Switzerland who failed to convert and they can only blame themselves but they're advancing with confidence and a great back-line, two indispensable elements in winning the world cup. I'm a French supporter so I am obviously biased but the main France team has shown composure, concentration and ability to control a game in their first two matches against Australia and Denmark on top of obviously incredible talent in the front so they have the tools to go far, I hope at least. The inability to prevent the other team from scoring since a game against Austria bothers me a lot but in 2018 we won the world cup by conceding 6 goals and scoring 14 and football is as much a game of who concedes less as it is a game of who scores more and with Mbappé, Dembélé and Griezmann in this form I can't see us not scoring in any game going forward. Not to mention we play Poland also know as the team who has good players but who seem to fall into a black hole every time they play for their country. Poland is a team who managed to qualify despite accumulating 0.3 expected goals in two games against Argentina and Mexico, by far the weakest side among the qualified and an unbearably poor football. Allez les bleus !

De Bruyne said before the tournament (way before, in fairness) that Belgium had no shot at winning despite having a good team because they were too old but Belgium exiting the tournament before the rounds of 16 is nonetheless a huge blow to this team. One can appreciate De Bruyne's honesty but if even he didn't think they could win what were they doing here? Lukaku missed incredible chances he will probably regret for his entire life and I can't imagine what he has been feeling since yesterday especially considering he's a black player and black players playing for european countries are always 1 missed opportunity from being reminded of their skin color (looking at you, England). Strength to him. Back to football Belgium was incredibly limited in ability to play and the absolutely minuscule 1 goal they scored coming from a pass of the central back to Batshuayi is a testament to how poor they were and this elimination was thoroughly deserved. In that group Morocco was clearly a notch or two above everyone else and Croatia could count on a great midfield and a central back who is already a revelation of the tournament in Joško Gvardiol who has been incredible in the two games of Croatia I've watched against Canada and Belgium. Now it's time for Belgium to figure out who they'll keep and who will leave, they aren't starting over but they're pretty close to it.

Speaking of teams who have to start from very far, Germany have two years to figure out how to win important games so as to not embarass themselves yet again during the Euro they're organizing. As opposed to Belgium Germany didn't play so poorly but they lost a game they never should have lost and drew a game against Spain they probably should've won. The World Cup with 32 teams does not forgive such mistakes and that's what makes it a thrilling format. Spain's loss to Japan was surprising but the goals they conceded were not; the first one in particular was the result of a loss of possesion close to the goal, something that Germany was unable to punish despite several gifts. This sends Spain in the path of Morocco and I honestly can't wait, this will assuredly be a historic game. I have relatively little faith in Cameroon being able to beat Brazil who still haven't conceded a single shot on target (their opponents are to blame to an extent but good luck against Thiago Silva and Marquinhos who know the other by heart) but Ghana are in good position against a Uruguay team who has shown literally nothing. That would make 3 African teams advancing which would be a return to form after the Russian debacle.

Overall I would say the favorites are Brazil, France and Spain with Portugal as an outsider from what I've seen in this tournament. Brazil have shown some weaknesses against Switzerland who failed to convert and they can only blame themselves but they're advancing with confidence and a great back-line, two indispensable elements in winning the world cup. I'm a French supporter so I am obviously biased but the main France team has shown composure, concentration and ability to control a game in their first two matches against Australia and Denmark on top of obviously incredible talent in the front so they have the tools to go far, I hope at least. The inability to prevent the other team from scoring since a game against Austria bothers me a lot but in 2018 we won the world cup by conceding 6 goals and scoring 14 and football is as much a game of who concedes less as it is a game of who scores more and with Mbappé, Dembélé and Griezmann in this form I can't see us not scoring in any game going forward. Not to mention we play Poland also know as the team who has good players but who seem to fall into a black hole every time they play for their country. Poland is a team who managed to qualify despite accumulating 0.3 expected goals in two games against Argentina and Mexico, by far the weakest side among the qualified and an unbearably poor football. Allez les bleus !
Don't forget about Argentina. Our hermanos (brothers in Spanish, their language) are still alive and quite strong despite their defeat against Saudi Arabia. England and Netherlands are strong too, mainly England the runners-up of Euro 2020. However, I believe we will have a final between Brazil and France. Although France and Spain lost their respective previous matches, I still think France has an edge.

Yesterday we had Japan winning against Spain, and today South Korea against Portugal. Congratulations! Go go go Asia! :totodiLUL:

awyp

is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus

Great analysis, and I would say what you were saying about Lukaku I was thinking the whole time, where I didn't want a whole country to put blame on a black player, like England did in the Euros. I felt bad for Lukaku he had his chances, but couldn't convert. I wish he played the whole game instead of him subbing in half time.

I think the golden age for Belgium is close to over, in terms of at least Eden Hazard and Mertens. I can see Kevin De Bruyne + Lukaku play the next World Cup. I think De Bruyne's comments about them being too old sank in their heads and forced them to be in a position like this. Ronaldo had one of the best World Cup starts at the age of 33, De Bruyne is only 31! So not a great comment on his part.

I do think Brazil, France, Spain, and Portugal are the favorites but Argentina is still there looking in to be honest!

What a game though!

S. Korea are another Asian country onto the next round? Yes, even if they're playing Brazil but still I'm proud of both S, Korea and Japan!

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
quite the come down for Germany to have made 4 straight semis (including 2 finals, 1 win) from 2002-2014... to now crashing out of the group stage in 2018 and 2022, both times due to losing to an Asian team, South Korea last time, Japan this time. I'm excited to see Japan through though.

Also with 2 African teams through already, that ties their record count into the knockout stage.
And now with South Korea joining Japan and Australia today, that's a record 3 for AFC.

Assuming group G is Brazil + 1 of Serbia/Switzerland, we're shaping up for the following super unexpected distribution in the R16 (as compared to historically):

UEFA81066
CONMEBOL2455
CONCACAF1132
CAF2021
AFC3102

Basically, we haven't had a world cup like this in a long time, if ever. First off - a disaster for CONMEBOL. Only four even qualified, since Peru lost the interconfederation playoff to Australia, and then Uruguay underperformed and Ecuador was somewhat weak to begin with, and both ended up beaten out by strong performances from South Korea and Senegal. AFC and CAF also pounced on surprising European performances, with Japan unexpectedly beating out Germany and Australia likewise for Denmark. Morocco also was a surprise to most who might have expected Belgium and Croatia to easily coast through.

As a result, we have the most African and Asian and really the most truly global world cup ever perhaps? I'm not checking any farther back, but I highly doubt there's been a knockout stage with as few as 10 teams combined from UEFA and CONMEBOL ever. And surprisingly the rest is not mostly from CONCACAF either, due to really only the US performing well at all out of the four entrants.

I'm sadly expecting most, maybe even all, of the Asian and African teams plus the US to lose in R16 so it's totally possible we'll still have a fully European/South American Top 8, but crazy things have happened at the world cup before!

awyp

Absolutely mind-blowing groups stage for the AFC (which people wanted to have less slots, might I add :totodiLUL:), really great stuff, I like to think that Ghana was motivated by pure hatred there to keep the score 0-2 for as long as possible lol.
1670000963512.png

An image that has been ingrained in Ghana's head can now be part of the past. They definitely got their revenge.

Adeleine

after committing a dangerous crime
is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
KO Bracket:

Left Bracket
NED/USA
ARG/AUS
JPN/CRO
BRS (projected) / KOR

Right Bracket
ENG/SEN
FRA/POL
MAR/ESP
POR / SUI or SRB (projected)

Takeaways:

1) Over/Under on First Round Upsets (top seed or CRO/ESP lose): 1.5?
Anything can absolutely happen, but I do not think AUS, KOR (despite their wonderful entrance), and POL are very likely upset picks for sure. That leaves 5 more up in the air. MAR/ESP is where my eyes are going, but USA is very easy to underrate, POR or CRO could stall out, and hey, ENG is notorious for bad surprises. I think "about 1-2 expected upsets" is reasonable here. Any bets?

2) Sucks to be Spain!
CRO/BRS/ARG would be a brutal gauntlet. Should SPA be happy they lost the group? ...I don't know. A hot MAR into POR is terrifying too, and a projected FRA after that in semis. Nothing they could've done here really, two brutal routes. I would be moderately surprised (but not blown out of my mind) if they made QF. Karma for landing a weaker group? Dunno.

3) But Brazil and Argentina are doing okay!
Brazil has an excellent game against KOR to start, and both their harder opponents, CRO and ARG, could plausibly enough get upset beforehand. They probably have the most favorable bracket spot in the cup. ARG comes in second for me, an even better first fixture and no favorite until a possible semifinals with BRS. And, hey, maybe CRO does them a solid in that front.

4) Balanced Left Side, Top-Heavy Right Side
Right-side has 4 teams I'd call favorites versus 2 for left side: ENG, FRA, and POR should not have so much trouble advancing, but things rapidly become terrifying for them after that. Left has dark horses like CRO, NED, and even USA, though, so it's hardly an easy side.

5) Expected Highest Quality R16 games:
MAR/ESP
JPN/CRO
ENG/SEN
NED/USA

awyp

KO Bracket:

Left Bracket
NED/USA
ARG/AUS
JPN/CRO
BRS (projected) / KOR

Right Bracket
ENG/SEN
FRA/POL
MAR/ESP
POR / SUI or SRB (projected)

Takeaways:

1) Over/Under on First Round Upsets (top seed or CRO/ESP lose): 1.5?
Anything can absolutely happen, but I do not think AUS, KOR (despite their wonderful entrance), and POL are very likely upset picks for sure. That leaves 5 more up in the air. MAR/ESP is where my eyes are going, but USA is very easy to underrate, POR or CRO could stall out, and hey, ENG is notorious for bad surprises. I think "about 1-2 expected upsets" is reasonable here. Any bets?

2) Sucks to be Spain!
CRO/BRS/ARG would be a brutal gauntlet. Should SPA be happy they lost the group? ...I don't know. A hot MAR into POR is terrifying too, and a projected FRA after that in semis. Nothing they could've done here really, two brutal routes. I would be moderately surprised (but not blown out of my mind) if they made QF. Karma for landing a weaker group? Dunno.

3) But Brazil and Argentina are doing okay!
Brazil has an excellent game against KOR to start, and both their harder opponents, CRO and ARG, could plausibly enough get upset beforehand. They probably have the most favorable bracket spot in the cup. ARG comes in second for me, an even better first fixture and no favorite until a possible semifinals with BRS. And, hey, maybe CRO does them a solid in that front.

4) Balanced Left Side, Top-Heavy Right Side
Right-side has 4 teams I'd call favorites versus 2 for left side: ENG, FRA, and POR should not have so much trouble advancing, but things rapidly become terrifying for them after that. Left has dark horses like CRO, NED, and even USA, though, so it's hardly an easy side.

5) Expected Highest Quality R16 games:
MAR/ESP
JPN/CRO
ENG/SEN
NED/USA
1670004042419.png

My predictions:

USA Vs. Netherlands - Netherlands
Argentina Vs. Australia - Argentina
Japan Vs. Croatia - Japan
Brazil Vs. South Korea - Brazil
France Vs. Poland - France
England Vs. Senegal - England
Morocco Vs. Spain - MOROCCO
Portugal Vs. Swiss / Serbia - Portugal

1) I'm going with Morocco and Japan upsets!
2) Spain's side of the bracket seems tougher but in reality its the Quarter Finals that get tough for all the projected favorites (Brazil looks like it has the easiest path right now to the Semi-Finals)
3) Yeah I can put a lot of money on a Parlay that both Argentina + Brazil go through in Ro16
5) Japan Vs Croatia (IMO best game on the Ro16 because of form) / England Vs Senegal could be a bed-wetter for England because Sengal is not a team to play around with.

Congratulations to Cameroon
Brazil played so badly today, unfortunately. It's good to see a victory of an African team, even though this victory is against my team :psycry:

Now it's the round of 16, can't lose anymore.

Last edited:
My initial group stage predictions, as ordered by 1st/2nd.

A: Netherlands, Ecuador (mane injured screws senegal)
B: England, USA
C: Argentina, Poland
D: France, Denmark
E: Spain, Germany
F: Belgium, Croatia
G: Brazil, Switzerland
H: Portugal, Uruguay

To be fair to myself, this WC was so incredibly close that most of the ones I got wrong came down to a hair's width. Also, did anyone see Cavani push over the VAR computer shit when he started walking down the tunnel after their game earlier? Wonder what punishment he'll receive. Uruguay realistically deserved the penalty that would've sent them to the last 16 but hey, nice to see Ghana finally get their revenge.

Last 16 predictions:

Netherlands > USA
Both teams have been better than I anticipated they'd be coming into the tournament, but USA remain pretty hopeless when it comes to scoring and have Weston McKennie, who I really think has the potential to sabotage them. Idk if he lost his starting spot after the game vs England or if they were saving him during the Wales match - if they start him during the R16 game it's gonna be to their detriment. When I see him come on he gives me Timo Werner vibes, knowing it's more likely he'll fuck over his team than help them lmao.

Argentina > Australia
Few expected the Aussies to get this far, and fair play to them. Argentina have been ramping up, however, and kicked the shit out of Poland like they were a sack of potatoes in their last game. Don't think it has any right to be close.

Japan > Croatia
Eh. Fuck it. I've always said Croatia are the most overrated team in the world (their side of the 2018 WC draw was weakest I've seen in my lifetime), so I'll have to stick to my world and bet against them here despite a good showing in groups. Japan have crazy fighting spirit and might just be able to edge it if they snatch a goal and then defend like their lives are on the line. I believe in fairytales.

Brazil > South Korea
yea no amount of shit is gonna make me believe south korea, who barely squeezed into r16 against a Portugal without some of their key players, have a chance against Brazil's A-team, Neymar included.

England > Senegal
England are a better team with a deeper bench, shouldn't be too hard since they're a lot more consistent nowadays. Still wouldn't favour them in a shootout though lol.

France > Poland
should be a thrashing with lewandowski touching the ball 9 times all game

Spain > Morocco
Big up Morocco for making it this far and actually looking like a contender, I'm assuming Spain will ramp back up to how they were vs Costa Rica and genuinely be able to cause problems in this one, though I actually think it'll be close.

Portugal > Switzerland
idk man ronaldo has to be hungry because he's not been playing well but switzerland aren't really the worst team to draw in r16 and should just be a test of strength for this portugal side if they want to show they're here to take it all.

SpaceSpeakers

eeny mine moe
is a Tiering Contributor
I am glad that there are 3 Asian countries make it through the group stage in this World Cup
Japan and Korea's 2 wins respectively against Spain and Portugal really surprised me :sphearical:
It's also sad that this is the last World Cup Cavani and Luis Suarez play and they got eliminated in the group stage
they deserve more than this tho

Jeong

Banned deucer.
I think there will be some surprise, like Switzerland beating Portugal. After seeing everything that has happened, I expect anything. I also have doubts with the Netherlands and Spain. I think the rest is easier to predict.

It seems surreal to me that 120 goals have been scored in total LMAO.

The best world cup I've ever seen.

Last edited:
I am really not good with predicts huh. Well anyway I'll give it a go:

Netherlands vs USA: Match of outsiders here and I have to give the edge to the Netherlands who look superior both collectively and individually. I remember the Euro the Netherlands did and they were eliminated in the round of 16 without putting much of a fight but Van Dijk wasn't there and now he's ready. The US have been interesting to watch but I think their lack of experience (youngest squad of the tournament) and the accumulation of players who don't play in their clubs will finally catch up to them.

Argentina vs Australia: Nice seeing you, Aussies! Honestly this shouldn't be much of a contest, Australia deserved their qualification but they have looked incredibly limited and Argentina have shown they were able to score against teams who defend 30 meters in front of their goal for 90 minutes. The gap is huge on paper and should be in practice.

France vs Poland: Said it once and I will say it again but this Poland side is the weakest of all the 16 teams remaining, abysmally so. Poland going through would be one of the great upsets in the history of this competition and one of the greatest disasters in French football's history. Despite the necessary apprehension of the match, the logical result should be a thrashing so long as their goalkeeper doesn't become Superman for 1 game.

England vs Senegal: This will probably be a close game but I'll give the edge to England because of their experience. Senegal is talented but they have shown potentially lethal weaknesses in the back as the only team that conceded a goal to Qatar. Such naivety will not be permitted in this round and I think England have both the talent and experience to beat Senegal. I do think it will be a close and interesting game tho.

Japan vs Croatia: Croatia have an ageing team but a team with some of the best players in the world and one of the most cohesive gameplay of the tournament so I give them the edge for this one. Japan has done the performance of qualifying despite playing only the second half of every game of the group stage and I don't think this will fly this time.

Brazil vs South Korea: Brazil will have a tough game but they should go through, especially if Neymar can play. South Korea have shown notable qualities but Brazil look notably superior in all areas, I don't think the late loss to Cameroon is much indication of what they will show against South Korea. The only thing that I could see for South Korea is perfect defending and a ruthless ability to punish the unclear status of the left side of the brazilian defense with both Alex Sandro and Telles being injured (Marquinhos left back was a goofy sight ngl) but Brazil should go through.

Morocco vs Spain: Yes I did say Spain were among my favorites but if an upset can happen this round I think it can be here. I've been really impressed by what Marocco produced in the group stage and they have been among the most impressive teams of the tournament and I think they have the tools to make history and eliminate this Spain side. I think Spain have the potential to go far but they haven't shown that they can avoid imploding as soon the tension goes to 11 and their loss to Japan was rather alarming in this regard. Can they survive to a match that doesn't go their way? They will either have to outrageously dominate or prove it.

Portugal vs Switzerland: This is not gonna be a fun game to watch, I can sense it. Nonetheless I give the edge to Portugal who have a player who can score at any moment (or obtain a penalty) and have some of the best offensive midfielders in the world. I haven't watched much of Switzerland this World Cup but it's never a team I rate very highly. Also considering what happened last year I can't bold them.

SpaceSpeakers

eeny mine moe
is a Tiering Contributor
So you predict that no Asian team will make it through the round of 16?
I hope they can do something against strong representatives from other continents
I am really not good with predicts huh. Well anyway I'll give it a go:

Netherlands vs USA: Match of outsiders here and I have to give the edge to the Netherlands who look superior both collectively and individually. I remember the Euro the Netherlands did and they were eliminated in the round of 16 without putting much of a fight but Van Dijk wasn't there and now he's ready. The US have been interesting to watch but I think their lack of experience (youngest squad of the tournament) and the accumulation of players who don't play in their clubs will finally catch up to them.

Argentina vs Australia: Nice seeing you, Aussies! Honestly this shouldn't be much of a contest, Australia deserved their qualification but they have looked incredibly limited and Argentina have shown they were able to score against teams who defend 30 meters in front of their goal for 90 minutes. The gap is huge on paper and should be in practice.

France vs Poland: Said it once and I will say it again but this Poland side is the weakest of all the 16 teams remaining, abysmally so. Poland going through would be one of the great upsets in the history of this competition and one of the greatest disasters in French football's history. Despite the necessary apprehension of the match, the logical result should be a thrashing so long as their goalkeeper doesn't become Superman for 1 game.

England vs Senegal: This will probably be a close game but I'll give the edge to England because of their experience. Senegal is talented but they have shown potentially lethal weaknesses in the back as the only team that conceded a goal to Qatar. Such naivety will not be permitted in this round and I think England have both the talent and experience to beat Senegal. I do think it will be a close and interesting game tho.

Japan vs Croatia: Croatia have an ageing team but a team with some of the best players in the world and one of the most cohesive gameplay of the tournament so I give them the edge for this one. Japan has done the performance of qualifying despite playing only the second half of every game of the group stage and I don't think this will fly this time.

Brazil vs South Korea: Brazil will have a tough game but they should go through, especially if Neymar can play. South Korea have shown notable qualities but Brazil look notably superior in all areas, I don't think the late loss to Cameroon is much indication of what they will show against South Korea. The only thing that I could see for South Korea is perfect defending and a ruthless ability to punish the unclear status of the left side of the brazilian defense with both Alex Sandro and Telles being injured (Marquinhos left back was a goofy sight ngl) but Brazil should go through.

Morocco vs Spain: Yes I did say Spain were among my favorites but if an upset can happen this round I think it can be here. I've been really impressed by what Marocco produced in the group stage and they have been among the most impressive teams of the tournament and I think they have the tools to make history and eliminate this Spain side. I think Spain have the potential to go far but they haven't shown that they can avoid imploding as soon the tension goes to 11 and their loss to Japan was rather alarming in this regard. Can they survive to a match that doesn't go their way? They will either have to outrageously dominate or prove it.

Portugal vs Switzerland: This is not gonna be a fun game to watch, I can sense it. Nonetheless I give the edge to Portugal who have a player who can score at any moment (or obtain a penalty) and have some of the best offensive midfielders in the world. I haven't watched much of Switzerland this World Cup but it's never a team I rate very highly. Also considering what happened last year I can't bold them.
So you predict that no Asian team will make it through the round of 16?
I hope they can do something against strong representatives from other continents :row:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)