Sports FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022

awyp

'Alexa play Ladyfingers by Herb Alpert'
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Brooo???

I won't talk about it bc I don't want to jinx it (yeah i fear that) but I don't agree at all
See I'm not being a hater, but how did they score in the last minute....Argentina's defensive line

On the other hand this is a great game.

awyp

'Alexa play Ladyfingers by Herb Alpert'
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Maybe a hot take here:

NED/ARG had an exciting end to regulation but I don’t care what happened, 10+ minutes is too many minutes of stoppage time
Great take.

I predicted Netherlands to win, but I'm so happy that Argentina is going through. THEY DESERVED THIS GAME. Can Argentina get past Croatia? I think so. Martinez the GK in my opinion was man on the match.

Adeleine

after committing a dangerous crime
is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
wonderful match, argentina had the visible edge in talent and play but the dutch comeback effort was remarkable. and more penalties, which i'm legally required to praise as a croatia fan. a battle through and through.

feeling about even on cro/arg next week. feels like both are very dangerous yet have room to improve.

personally i have nothing against longer stoppage time.

538 currently has the odds of a Croatia v. France title rematch at about 10%, about 20% if France wins tomorrow. No shot... unless?

Adeleine

after committing a dangerous crime
is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
(croatia) should be a free pass into the finals for Argentina (though I said the same for Brazil and they fucked it)
Cmon, this is like parodying yourself.

We knocked off the best team in the tournament. We've conceded three total goals. Let's look at croatia in the past two cups.

Record: 9W 2D 1L

Wins: argentina (lol), england, and brazil. and denmark i guess. (wonder if they'll be dark horse again after R16 loss -> drown in pools) and a fired-up host russia that knocked off spain, i guess.

Losses: one absolutely exemplary france team.

I get croatia football isn't sexy. I get croatia's not part of the old boys' west europe/south america club. Tournaments always have "what if." Things could be different next cup. I get it. I'm not saying croatia's the best team in the world.

But, bar france, every Big Boy™ would kill for these results. Spain hasn't made it to quarterfinals since 2010, but nobody doubts they're legitimate. people may say spain are overrated, but they would not say argentina gets a free dub. Brazil hasn't made semis since That Germany Game. They remain excellent. (sincerely, they are) In this moment, croatia is in the top echelon, however big you think that echelon is and wherever you think croatia fits in. What more do you want?

Last edited:
In 2018 Brazil was eliminated by a Belgian team that was better than them, this time Croatia wasn't better than Brazil and their elimination is more of a statistical anomaly than anything else. That being said, they did absolutely everything they could have done to get the boot between that goal which was frankly embarrassing and how they tackled the penalty shootouts. Despite Argentina seemingly trying their hardest to lose a game against the Netherlands which were abominable for 80 minutes their game going to pens was worth it for the image of Messi scoring first for Argentina and opening his arms christ-like before the Argentinian supporters. What Messi did was exactly what Brazil and Neymar should've done against Croatia, a beautiful moment and a superb penalty from Messi. Studies have shown that the first penalty being scored is fundamental and the captain or a team leader scoring usually leads to a penalty shootout won, now is too late for the brazil team to read them unfortunately.

Grillo

⭐⭐⭐
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
See I'm not being a hater, but how did they score in the last minute....Argentina's defensive line

On the other hand this is a great game.
a fk World Cup goal, chaos, fear, someone making a mistake and someone taking advantage of it... fk WC, im not surprised, Argentina's defensive line was PERFECT for 80 minutes. This is how WC are... happily.

Grillo

⭐⭐⭐
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
In 2018 Brazil was eliminated by a Belgian team that was better than them, this time Croatia wasn't better than Brazil and their elimination is more of a statistical anomaly than anything else. That being said, they did absolutely everything they could have done to get the boot between that goal which was frankly embarrassing and how they tackled the penalty shootouts. Despite Argentina seemingly trying their hardest to lose a game against the Netherlands which were abominable for 80 minutes their game going to pens was worth it for the image of Messi scoring first for Argentina and opening his arms christ-like before the Argentinian supporters. What Messi did was exactly what Brazil and Neymar should've done against Croatia, a beautiful moment and a superb penalty from Messi. Studies have shown that the first penalty being scored is fundamental and the captain or a team leader scoring usually leads to a penalty shootout won, now is too late for the brazil team to read them unfortunately.
After netherldans scored the second goal, Argentina started again to dominate totally the game, while Netherlands retreated. In the pens, Argentina has a lot more mentality than their rival. Argentina lacked of this mentality in many moments of the recent years (Russia 2018 specially) We learnt it...

Brazil, on the other hand, has to learn how to handle those moments where "we are Brazil" doesn't win games. It doesn't happen anymore, football doesn't works like that now. They've lost for details in 2018 and now. Idk if its something generated by that loss in 2014, but it's clearly a psychological thing imo. Today Brazil was better than their rival, but were unable to score without Neymar and didn't had the mentality to afford the pks. I also think Neymar should have taken the first pen, the main star of the team scoring the first pen is key for the team's confidence...

Im so sad for Ney, player I love, but im more sad for Marquinhos: he somehow always gets ""exposed"" in his teams' worst losses, even when it's not his fault and even when he plays well..

Last edited:
Incredible world cup from morocco, brazil wishes they had half of this defensive discipline, best defense of the tournament, best team in the history of africa and deservedly so the best result ever from the continent. Like sir ferguson once said, attack wins you games, defense wins you titles, and holy shit what a rock solid defense. GG

Idk if its something generated by that loss in 2014, but it's clearly a psychological thing imo.
Yes, it is. That 7x1 is the motivation for every football match we play since then. You know, to lose is a completely normal thing, we lost in 2006 for France, and in 2010 for the Netherlands. They were superior and that's it, and both went to the finals and lost to Italy and Spain, respectively. In 2014 I was pretty sure we would not win the title, but that loss was a national trauma lol, all merits to Germany, they were superb. The cycle 2018--2022 was an attempt to let this humiliation in the past and look at a... perhaps... bright future. But not this time, not yet. I'm proud of our team though, they played with the heart, something that didn't happen since 2002. Now go Argentina and beat them!

Last edited by a moderator:
england absolutely the better team on the night in all aspects apart from the final score. completely shut mbappe out for the entire 90 minutes like no other team has been able to do
They did really well on that point but that left plenty of room for Griezmann - and to a lesser extent to Giroud - who was one of the key players in the victory for France. A limited success if you look at the bigger picture i'd say then

They did really well on that point but that left plenty of room for Griezmann - and to a lesser extent to Giroud - who was one of the key players in the victory for France. A limited success if you look at the bigger picture i'd say then
Giroud was marked quite well tbf, the guy is just absolutely world fucking class and is under-appreciated so much because he's not ronaldo/messi. It wasn't like England stuck two guys on Mbappe and left another guy free because of it, Walker basically had him down the entire game individually but Giroud's just too good and bested Maguire, who had a great tournament, on several occasions. Guy might be about to run it back for 2 trophies from 2 WCs lmao.

Grillo

⭐⭐⭐
France don't need to play well to win games, that's all. Mbappé had a bad game, Giroud and Griezmann are beasts, I love Grizzy when he plays for his country. I think he was Rusia 2018's best player, by far, and now he is making an amazing run again.

also: MOROCCOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. Epic run, epic team, Amrabat and Boufal my favs.
about Portugal: pathetic way to leave the tour, specially Pepe and Bruno.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)