SS PU Fang of Metsudo

Got my 5th, 6th and 7th alts to top 20 several weeks ago (4th, 7th, 15th) + won 10/12 room tours I joined with this team

1596410842742.png

I started watching Amaranth YouTube videos on how to play RBY OU at the highest level, I took a deep dive and enjoyed the tier playing tons of friendlies. The lack of of hazards made the battles more interesting in my opinion.

Heavy Duty Boots has been seen everywhere in SS, regardless of the tier. I pondered on whether making a team that can "flow" well, get rid of hazards with relative ease and punish hazard users can be made. The only thing was that I decided to avoid using hazards myself.

6 set up sweepers, each being able to threaten a good chunk of the PU metagame whilst having some decent defensive Synergy.

Thus, the FANG of Metusdo was born.

1596410872218.png

Team building process:
I started with Mold Breaker Throh, a bulky Pokemon who punishes stall teams with absolute power. Togetic and Vespiqueen have been less and less common as of late so I wanted to capatilize on that.

I came up with a new spread, one that allows me to handle "physical defensive tanks" like Tangela, Appletun and Stunfisk.

I had enough speed to outpace Tangela before it can Toxic, Knock Off or Leech seed me while it cannot break my sub without leaf storm. Same goes with Appletun and Stunfisk.

With Throh set in stone, I figured I'd add Gothitelle who appreciates Throh's ability to wreck Dark Types or at least force a trade with Specs Thievul at times.

This Gothitelle set would also be key in demolishing stall, wrecking balance teams and forcing awkward plays with the opposing scarf trick/switcheroo users.

Throh + Goth, nice combo.

Next off, I need something to start off the match with a BANG, an immediate threat. Devil's Lance comes back to the team, a.k.a Shell Smash Crustle. 99% of players assume I won't be an offensive variant since nothing else can get rocks and that surprise value has helped me at times get a clean 6-0 with impunity.

I usually kill the opposing lead who is a rocker or something which attacks me and brings me down to my sash. The most awkward lead to face is scarf Golduck but then it opens the door for Goth / Throh to just outright cause mischief on earth.

Once the sandslash/stunk etc are killed by Crustle, I thought of adding Klingklang to abuse those Pokemon being killed off early. Additionally, it gives me something to break sash users since i have no rocks myself. It's a nice late game sweeper and really forces choiced Pokemon to not be locked in the wrong move (see Mr Rime into Ice Beamor Mr Mime into anything really lol)

Goth + Throh + Crustle + Klinklang....NOICE

I could really do with hazard removal so the pigeon Pokemon works here. it has a nice speed tier, defog and can help me block Ghost-type attacks, throw some boots on it. It is also a good pivot to have, luring Steel-types and electrics for me to bring Throh / Falinks.

Last but not least, for old times sake, I put Falinks. It isn't the best Pokemon for the role, heck I can name 5 other better Pokemon, however I love that Pokemon personally.

No Retreat Falink abuses the lack of Togetic around hehe.

-------------------------THE TEAM-------------------

1596411102378.png

Crustle @ White Herb
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Shell Smash
- Earthquake
- Rock Blast
- X-Scissor

Standard set, standard EVs. I almost always lead with this and I get on average 1-2 kills. You want to lead with this as it gives the opponent a false sense of security. They think you want to set up hazards but we going to get something else going heh. Of course there might be times were you can just outright attack before setting up, such as if they lead carkol on you or lead Lycanroc (which can be sashed or 4 attacks sucker which is annoying therefore makes sense to just attack in the beginning and then smash depending on the set). Quick Note, vs sandslash if it does over 40% to crustle, it is offensive and you can 2hko with EQ, no need to reveal X-scissor as the opponent will STILL think your last slot is SR instead of scissors.

1596411121389.png

Falinks @ Lum berry / Life Orb / Shed Shell
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant / Jolly Nature
- First Impression / No Retreat
- Close Combat
- Throat Chop
- Zen Headbutt / Rock Slide

Lots of different sets you can use for this. I just prefer the No retreat shed shell Adamant set. I sometimes miss having priority in FI however I haven't really been in a pickle because of not having the move on me. This Pokemon is a midgame breaker and can be used to force a trade vs an opposing shell smash Crustle etc.

You'd be surprised how many times I bring this on a Bellossom and they protect or switch out fearing FI, I first impression that same turn and cause a ruckus teehee.

1596411133702.png

Gothitelle @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Competitive
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Cosmic Power
- Stored Power
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

My favourite Pokemon of ALL TIME. She's a boss. I scout the team preview...nervously. After scanning for a few seconds, I process what I've just seen in my tiny brain and then my Central nervous system sends a message to my relay neurons, then to my motor neurons followed by either a "COME THE FUCK ON DUDE" if I see a Dark-type OR a howl of delight if I see no Darks. I don't think it'd be PG friendly to post what I say if I see multiple Dark-types lol. Balance has become ever so popular in PU and there are a number of teams who just fold to this once I get 2 cosmic power's. The sequence runs like this:
Scarf Pokemon kills Crustle after I kill their lead. I then bring Goth who can tank 2 hits with ease, proceed to Cosmic as they go to something which will either knock off my item or toxic me. By the time I reveal Rest it more or less is too late and they praying for some serious luck! Weakness Policy is great combined with my ability and I abuse things like Fire Lash Heatmor, Earth power / Shadow ball drops

If there are several Dark Types and you find it hard to lure them, I sometimes set up with this, force them to bring their Dark and more often than not they just want me DEAD so Dark Pulse / Knock Off etc the Goth. At times I don't mind that trade since that then lets me bring Throh and just start to cause carnage!!!

Goth really helps me vs opposing Throh who run Storm Throw and Knock off and I can set up and cause big damage!

1596411154054.png

Unfezant @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Super Luck
Jolly Nature
- Defog
- Brave Bird
- Night Slash
- U-turn

Love this Pokemon. HDB is broken and allows me to defog with ease seeing as this Pokemon forces alot of switches. Night Slash to punish Ghosts, more often than not dispose of/significantly pressure Musharna (I hate that mon now and am on TEAM GOTH, sorry!).
Due to it's decent speed tier, I tend to keep it alive if I notice the opponent is trying REALLY hard to keep their specs Thievul alive to cockblock Goth.
1596411164508.png

Throh (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 HP / 128 SpD / 128 Spe
Careful Nature
- Substitute
- Bulk Up
- Storm Throw
- Knock Off

KING. Outpaces Tangela and the Sp.Def EVs allow you to avoid getting the sub broken by alot of special hits. I'll probably spend one day making the EV spread waaay better but I was just lazy for now. I use this Pokemon as my no.1 Stall breaker, balance breaker and it helps me lure and kill Mr Rime / Drifblim and friends. This then opens up things a bit better for Goth and Falinks. As stated before Unfezant can pivot and bring this safely after luring a steel or electric like Stunfisk if it's still alive. Throh ironically helps out Klinklang by mowing down Tangela/Pyuk/Stunfisk.
1596411175512.png

Klinklang @ Leftovers
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 100 HP / 252 Atk / 156 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Gear Grind
- Shift Gear
- Substitute
- Toxic

In one word, disappointing. Thought this would be star of the show but I almost never use it and the matches that I lose, this thing also contributes next to nothing!!!! grrrrr. It's nice to have something that resists flapple's / non specs Lilligants / Bellosoms attacks in addition to punishing parting shot users. It abuses Mareanieless/Pyukless stall as it can set up on things like type null and Kadabra. In bad matchups, I will use this Pokemon as a sacrificial lamb, set up and force opposing

Aaaaaand there we have it, annoying that I couldnt play SS PU in PUPL (due to unforseen circumstances) after all my efforts towards doing that but it is what it is. For someone who quits tiers left, right and centre, PU reminds me of BW UU, an amazing tier which anyone can master with a bit of perseverance and that has lots of cool Pokemon to explore. Here's to hopefully playing it in snake draft.

Thanks for reading!!!

https://pokepast.es/6a25d44ebafa7cff

ShuckleDeath

They call me the kign of typos
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Hello SOMALIA fun looking team here,

Having a team based around set up will always leave little room for support unless the set up is designated for a few Pokemon, this team is obviously trying to fit as much set up as possible while attempting to remain functional. This team seems to do a pretty good job at accomplishing this so honestly, I don't think there are many changes that can be done without compromising what the team sets out to do. I have a few suggestions nonetheless and I hope you like them.

Set Changes:

:crustle:
:ss/crustle:
Crustle @ White Herb
Adamant Nature
- Shell Smash
- Earthquake ---> Stealth Rock
- Rock Blast
- X-Scissor

As I am sure you are aware hazards are always beneficial to have if at all possible. This is the easiest way to fit on Stealth Rock without completely changing the functionality of your team. Lacking Earthquake will leave Crustle walled by Mawile and Klinklang, but I feel your team has the tools necessary to deal with them whereas cutting a Rock-type attack will leave you much weaker to Drifblim which I don't think your team can handle nearly as easily outside of trying to win with Klinklang very quickly. I can see the merit in why you would choose to go without Stealth Rock here as keeping coverage open allows you to break as much as possible as fast as possible this is just an option for adding Stealth Rock if you find it crucial in some match ups.

:gothitelle:
:ss/gothitelle:
Gothitelle @ Weakness Policy ---> Kee Berry
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Cosmic Power / Calm Mind
- Stored Power
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Weakness Policy isn't a bad item choice by any means, but I think Kee Berry should be considered here as well. Kee Berry will let you counter Klinklang which can be helpful as I feel this team is a touch weak to it if it is able to get off a Shift Gear. Kee Berry also helps in setting up Cosmic Power on physical attackers, whereas Weakness Policy can backfire really hard if the Super Effective hit crits. Calm Mind is also worth experimenting with on Kee Berry sets as it makes Stored Power stronger much faster then Cosmic Power.

Pokemon Changes:

:unfezant: ---> :drifblim:
:ss/drifblim:
Drifblim @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Aftermath
EVs: 248 HP / 164 Def / 96 Spe
Bold Nature
- Hex
- Will-O-Wisp
- Defog
- Strength Sap

Still functions as a Heavy-duty Boots Defog user, but trades power for the ability to lure in Drak-types for Gothitelle especially as Will-o-Wisp isn't as common on Dfriblim as it likes to abuse Strength Sap. Hitting Pawniard and Morpeko not only reduces their damage output on Gothitelle but actually causes passing damage on them meaning Gothitelle isn't hard walled by them anymore. Granted Morepeko can still lose to Gothitelle if Morpeko is using Life Orb and Pawniard can outboost Gothitelle with Swords Dance. I think this is still worth it as Pawniard still has to take damage while boosting and this can let your Fighting-types switch in on it easier. A weakened Morpeko is obviously just a super good thing for Gothitelle rather Morepeko is holding a Life Orb or not.

Team Changes <--- Click for Importable.

Hello SOMALIA fun looking team here,

Having a team based around set up will always leave little room for support unless the set up is designated for a few Pokemon, this team is obviously trying to fit as much set up as possible while attempting to remain functional. This team seems to do a pretty good job at accomplishing this so honestly, I don't think there are many changes that can be done without compromising what the team sets out to do. I have a few suggestions nonetheless and I hope you like them.

Set Changes:

:crustle:
:ss/crustle:
Crustle @ White Herb
Adamant Nature
- Shell Smash
- Earthquake ---> Stealth Rock
- Rock Blast
- X-Scissor

As I am sure you are aware hazards are always beneficial to have if at all possible. This is the easiest way to fit on Stealth Rock without completely changing the functionality of your team. Lacking Earthquake will leave Crustle walled by Mawile and Klinklang, but I feel your team has the tools necessary to deal with them whereas cutting a Rock-type attack will leave you much weaker to Drifblim which I don't think your team can handle nearly as easily outside of trying to win with Klinklang very quickly. I can see the merit in why you would choose to go without Stealth Rock here as keeping coverage open allows you to break as much as possible as fast as possible this is just an option for adding Stealth Rock if you find it crucial in some match ups.

:gothitelle:
:ss/gothitelle:
Gothitelle @ Weakness Policy ---> Kee Berry
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Cosmic Power / Calm Mind
- Stored Power
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Weakness Policy isn't a bad item choice by any means, but I think Kee Berry should be considered here as well. Kee Berry will let you counter Klinklang which can be helpful as I feel this team is a touch weak to it if it is able to get off a Shift Gear. Kee Berry also helps in setting up Cosmic Power on physical attackers, whereas Weakness Policy can backfire really hard if the Super Effective hit crits. Calm Mind is also worth experimenting with on Kee Berry sets as it makes Stored Power stronger much faster then Cosmic Power.

Pokemon Changes:

:unfezant: ---> :drifblim:
:ss/drifblim:
Drifblim @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Aftermath
EVs: 248 HP / 164 Def / 96 Spe
Bold Nature
- Hex
- Will-O-Wisp
- Defog
- Strength Sap

Still functions as a Heavy-duty Boots Defog user, but trades power for the ability to lure in Drak-types for Gothitelle especially as Will-o-Wisp isn't as common on Dfriblim as it likes to abuse Strength Sap. Hitting Pawniard and Morpeko not only reduces their damage output on Gothitelle but actually causes passing damage on them meaning Gothitelle isn't hard walled by them anymore. Granted Morepeko can still lose to Gothitelle if Morpeko is using Life Orb and Pawniard can outboost Gothitelle with Swords Dance. I think this is still worth it as Pawniard still has to take damage while boosting and this can let your Fighting-types switch in on it easier. A weakened Morpeko is obviously just a super good thing for Gothitelle rather Morepeko is holding a Life Orb or not.

Team Changes <--- Click for Importable.
ShuckleDeath

Thank you for the rate.

For Crustle, I sadly cannot forgo Earthquake. It really helps with Stunfisk early on meaning that I dont take recoil and can do big damage after a smash, additionally I have something to hit fighters for good damage such as hitmonchan, you'll be surprised how many times I beat hitmonchan with Crustle. I am very grateful for the suggestion which sounds great on paper but in practise it wont be as good as the AoA set.

Stealth Rock is always a good move but I rarely miss it in a game.

I should've bothered saving replays but to be fair, between having alot of moves that break sash and stop screens offense, I like having 0 hazards.

I am DEFINITELY going to try Drifblim as that set seems so cool and being able to burn darks is HUGE!!

Also thanks that Goth set is super cool, I tried it and it works nicely :)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)