nature: Adamant / Jolly
evs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
-Substitute
-Defensive set

[Other Options]

[Checks and Counters]

Excadrill has the highest base HP of any steel-type bar Metal Plate Arceus, so it makes sense to invest in it to make it more capable as a spinner. Leftovers is for a defensive take on the role, whereas Life Orb gives him the power to sweep if the team needs him to do so. (Obviously you wouldn't use Rapid Spin if you're holding LO unless the situation is dire.)

Excadrill's DW ability of Sand Force provides an additional LO boost to his rock and ground attacks (you thought Landorus was bad) for a total power boost of 69%, so you could possibly run a coverage move over Swords Dance.

His Eminence Lord Poppington II

proverb:the fish who eats most dies still too
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Actually I doubt that is an optimal spread as the disparity between Excadrill's defensive stats and its HP means that EVs invested into either one of its defenses (or both) will give it a greater EHP.

I think really only one set is needed to be honest, with a more defensive spread mentioned in AC and a secondary leftovers slash. Also a balloon slash.

Sadly, whilst Sand Force is a very cool ability, Excadrill's unboosted 88 speed isn't gonna sweep dick; Sand Rush is a far better ability.

[SET]
name: Swords Dance
move 1: Swords Dance
move 2: Earthquake
move 3: Rock Slide
move 4: Substitute / Return / X-Scissor / Rapid Spin
item: Life Orb / Leftovers / Balloon

it may have too many slashes but I would like to ask about substitute. Skarm still walls you, Gliscor will wall you without Return, Slowbro walls you without X-Scissor. You won't be able to OHKO Breloom without a boost if you opt to use sub over SD ont he turn it switches in. I can only see it being useful for like Iron Fist Infernape trying to revenge you with Mach Punch.

Jukain

!_!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Actually I doubt that is an optimal spread as the disparity between Excadrill's defensive stats and its HP means that EVs invested into either one of its defenses (or both) will give it a greater EHP.

I think really only one set is needed to be honest, with a more defensive spread mentioned in AC and a secondary leftovers slash. Also a balloon slash.

Sadly, whilst Sand Force is a very cool ability, Excadrill's unboosted 88 speed isn't gonna sweep dick; Sand Rush is a far better ability.

[SET]
move 4: Substitute / Return / X-Scissor / Rapid Spin
item: Life Orb / Leftovers / Balloon

it may have too many slashes but I would like to ask about substitute. Skarm still walls you, Gliscor will wall you without Return, Slowbro walls you without X-Scissor. You won't be able to OHKO Breloom without a boost if you opt to use sub over SD ont he turn it switches in. I can only see it being useful for like Iron Fist Infernape trying to revenge you with Mach Punch.
Way to many slashes. The best Substitute should get is an AC. Rapid Spin should be in AC for SD. Don't even get me started on the items. Honestly, just leave the sets as is.

I also think that the Ubers Bulky Excadrill spread should be in AC for the Rapid Spin set, it is really bulky and can take a few hits. The spread is:
176 HP / 60 Atk / 252 SpD / 20 Spe
Any alterations as far as a couple EVs here, a couple EVs there for optimization are good, but I think this spread deserves a mention.

Cheers!

Agreeing with Poppy. Splitting the set really isn't necessary. However, I think his version of the set is too cluttered.

Should be:

[SET]
move 4: Rapid Spin / X-Scissor / Return
item: Life Orb / Air Balloon

I know Sub is cool and all for cockblocking Ditto, turning the tables on Blaziken, etc., but it forces Drill to give up coverage or RS. Definitely AC material at the least but not quite good enough to have a main slash. The bulkier EV spread is also AC material. Leftovers gets an AC mention for when used with Sub or bulky spread.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)