Entei Finally Get's a Chance to Shine!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Entei will stay NU...because Shoddy doesn't have a way of enforcing a specific nature to a move and thus Flare Blitz won't be allowed. Sorry to be a buzzkill, somebody had to say it.
Is that confirmed? I think this is a different event than the

(Heatran)

one.

Entei will stay NU...because Shoddy doesn't have a way of enforcing a specific nature to a move and thus Flare Blitz won't be allowed. Sorry to be a buzzkill, somebody had to say it.

Shoddy ONE doesn't have that capability. I am pretty sure (to my knowledge) it will be in Shoddy 2. (At least, I think I heard from colin once that it was planned)

Shoddy 2 will never come out. It never existed. It was all an illusion...

Anyway, if it is a specific nature, I will be disappointed, because Entei is pretty good. It just has a crappy movepool.

Ice-eyes

Simper Fi
To be honest, I don't think Entei is going to spike in usage enough to get to UU.

In a defensive role, it does have more HP and Def than Arcanine, but Canine gets Intimidate and instant recovery in Morning Sun. Arcanine is also a better Choice Bander, because CB Extremespeed is a potent revenging tool. Moreover, in a non-Choice offensive role, Arcanine can still use Morning Sun to help it with Flare Blitz recoil, and again Extremespeed shines.

Flash Fire also gives Arcanine a useful immunity and boost.

I just don't see why Entei would be better than Arcanine in enough situations to warrant it getting up to UU. I can see it terrorising NU, though. Like we needed more overcentralising Fire-types after Magmortar/Typhlosion/Charizard/Ninetales.

i am rocking a sub/cm/lava plume/hp grass entei and it does well enough by itself. flare blitz...we've been crying for it but the whole set nature thing is a massive kick in the nads. to be completely honest i wouldn't use flare blitz anyway...entei doesn't have morning sun or anything and i would rather abuse its massive hp with a cm set

SJCrew

Believer, going on a journey...
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
The only reason I'm even looking at Entei is for a mixed set. Having Stone Edge and being faster than all of the other Fire types is just plain lovely. It's more necessary to have rocks spun out than with Arcanine, but without Morning Sun to gobble up a slot on my moveset, I can CM and probably run right through some weakened bulky Water types. The way I see it, it'll definitely become a strong UU competitor.

The only reason I'm even looking at Entei is for a mixed set. Having Stone Edge and being faster than all of the other Fire types is just plain lovely. It's more necessary to have rocks spun out than with Arcanine, but without Morning Sun to gobble up a slot on my moveset, I can CM and probably run right through some weakened bulky Water types. The way I see it, it'll definitely become a strong UU competitor.
But with a set like that you won't even be using Flare Blitz (CM / special Fire attack / HP Grass / Stone Edge I assume?) You can use that kind of set now, and CM is obviously not worth it just to boost HP Grass. The problem with that set is that it is a little too easy to wall (Chansey mainly). With Flare Blitz boosted by Sunny Day, you could bust right through these special walls, and use Solarbeam to blast through the problem Water and Rock types left.

I currently don't see any added viability for Flare Blitz Entei in UU besides this mixed wallbreaker and a RestTalk set though. Choice Band sets are generally outclassed by Arcanine (Extremespeed, Intimidate) as well as most defensive sets that aren't RestTalk (Morning Sun). However, any added usage of Entei due to Flare Blitz will be on top of the already viable sets that people like to use (SubCM, Cro etc), so it isn't that hard to believe that usage might rise enough to make it UU. Only problem is, the fixed nature will probably only make certain sets viable in the metagame.

Umm if it's a shiny from a wondercard it will always have a set nature. ALWAYS.
Couldn't you have at least let us dream before crushing our hopes?

Anyway, if this thing isn't Adamant, Jolly, Naughty, Lonely, Naive, or Hasty, then Entei will never get its well-deserved chance that it has been patiently waiting for all this time.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Couldn't you have at least let us dream before crushing our hopes?

Anyway, if this thing isn't Adamant, Jolly, Naughty, Lonely, Naive, or Hasty, then Entei will never get its well-deserved chance that it has been patiently waiting for all this time.
To be honest those are pretty bad natures (save Naive)

Hmm... i like this. But i'll stick to the Rest Talk Entei, which IMO is still better than a CB Entei.

Merely because it still lacks some options. Stone Edge is cool and all, but Arcanine has Extremespeed to compensate.

The Sleep Talk one acts like a UU Suicune with a better attack(burning with Lava Plume while you CM up?) but worse typing. And it's unrivaled in the metagame(ok, Ninetales can use CM too... but it's nowhere as bulky as Entei) unlike the LO/CB one that has Arcanine as the "rival" option.

Still a very good option... as long as Nintendo don't screw Entei up with a crap nature, of course.

FlareBlitz

Relaxed nature. Loves to eat.
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
GF tends to give legendary Pokemon natures suited to their personality and with some marginal competitive benefit, so I think Brave, Adamant, or Hasty are likely. Don't count on Jolly.

Couldn't they just make every IV for every other nature "impossible" (i.e., it turns red and pops up a message when you save/use the team)? Not very efficient, yes, but I don't see any reason it wouldn't work.

SJCrew

But with a set like that you won't even be using Flare Blitz (CM / special Fire attack / HP Grass / Stone Edge I assume?)
No, I'm just running over a few ideas I'd have for Entei if it gets Flare Blitz. It'd look more like FB/SE/HP Grass/CM....oh wait, that is my idea. Oh well, I'm gonna try it anyway.

I don't think there's any wrong way to use Entei so long as you're taking advantage of everything it has over Houndoom and Arcanine...and that looks to be it.

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Couldn't they just make every IV for every other nature "impossible" (i.e., it turns red and pops up a message when you save/use the team)? Not very efficient, yes, but I don't see any reason it wouldn't work.
Wouldn't that mean you pretty much can't use any other set with any other nature?? Maybe you can put it so it only turns red when you pick Flare Blitz, I guess.

Wouldn't that mean you pretty much can't use any other set with any other nature?? Maybe you can put it so it only turns red when you pick Flare Blitz, I guess.
That's what I meant. If you choose Flare Blitz, every IV becomes impossible except for those of the required nature.

I think it will stay exactly where it is. Arcanine has Intimidate and Morning Sun, two things that make it quite a bit better than Entei. You might see a few Choice Band or Life Orb Entei or something, but nothing too eventful.
This sums up what I think too. It's going to make Entei used more until people realize that it's still nothing special.

Before FB: "Man, if Entei got Flare Blitz, it'd be so awesome. Why does gamefreak hate Entei so much?"

After FB: "Meh."

This is what I'm getting from this topic.

SJCrew

That's the Pokemon fanbase for you. They're not happy with anything until everything goes their way. Maybe Entei should get Morning Sun/Extremespeed too. Maybe Sword Dance too, while we're at it.

Really, with Flare Blitz, it has everything it needs to be a competent UU and there's no way you can just sit there and say a 120 BP move on a strong and fast Pokemon isn't going get it out bowels NU, especially considering it has other defining traits that the other UU Fire types don't. If the nature doesn't screw it over, I can actually see this on a UU threat list.

I guess it's unlikely to be a Naive Entei, but if it was:

Entei @ Life Orb
204 Atk / 128 SpA / 176 Spe Naive

Sunny Day
Flare Blitz
Solarbeam
Stone Edge

With 100% health and a layer of Spikes, you're beating everything on the list 1v1 (with Sunshine) except Aggron and Hariyama. Most of these things are still beaten if you have taken Stealth Rock damage, but you lose your chance to suvive against Regirock. The speed EV's outspeed all Moltres, which means a lot of other stuff, too.

Some Calcs (Itallics for things that are an advantage over Arcanine):

Stone Edge

Moltres: Obviously 100%
Morning Glory Arcanine (-1): 57.5% - 67.8%
Typhlosion: 100%
Ninetales: 100%
Defensive Altaria: 63.3% - 74.6%

Flare Blitz in Sun
Cefable (252 HP / 44 Def): 100%
Chansey (100%)
Umbreon: 78.7% - 92.9%
Physical Tank Hariyama: 37% - 43.7% (solarbeam does slightly more)
Uxie: 57.1% - 67.2%
Crotomb: 76% - 89.8%
Blaziken: 83.7% - 98.7%
Gabite: 96.4% - 113.4%
Sub Punch Aggron: 62.6% - 73.8% (not 2HKO'ed without Sun)
Claydol: 79% - 93.5%

Solarbeam
Milotic: 49.2% - 58.4% (By extension other Bulky Waters are 2HKO'ed with SR as well)
Regirock: 48.4% - 57.1%
Donphan: 92.7% - 109.4%
Cloyster: 96.7% - 114.5%

Very little in UU can switch into Sunny Day and wall this, and few faster things can OHKO it without Stealth Rock. Specs Alakazam does 86.5% - 101.9% with Psychic, which sets the bar pretty well for Special Attacks, considering Sunny Day. LO Dugtrio will do 95.4% - 112.1% so it still risks dying. Both die outright if Entei uses Flare Blitz instead of Sunny Day. Swords Dance Drapion is doing 50-60% with a LO Earthquake and is OHKOed in return. He covers other Fire-types really well; even Bulky Arcanine can be 2HKOed with Stealth Rock. Entei is bulkier against all of these switch-ins than Arcanine is, even with the SpD reducing nature.

Unfortunately, this depends pretty hard on having entry hazards out of the way. Still, a Taunt lead could make it work, since it can break a lot of the walls your opponent sends it's way. Froslass could Taunt your opponent's setup and lay down spikes, possibly even luring in an opposing Fire type for you to set up on.

Also, this may all be wishful thinking because of the nature thing : /.

I guess it's unlikely to be a Naive Entei, but if it was:

Entei @ Life Orb
204 Atk / 128 SpA / 176 Spe Naive

Sunny Day
Flare Blitz
Solarbeam
Stone Edge

With 100% health and a layer of Spikes, you're beating everything on the list 1v1 (with Sunshine) except Aggron and Hariyama. Most of these things are still beaten if you have taken Stealth Rock damage, but you lose your chance to suvive against Regirock.

Some Calcs (Itallics for things that are an advantage over Arcanine):

Stone Edge

Moltres: Obviously 100%
Morning Glory Arcanine (-1): 57.5% - 67.8%
Typhlosion: 100%
Ninetales: 100%
Defensive Altaria: 63.3% - 74.6%

Flare Blitz in Sun
Cefable (252 HP / 44 Def): 100%
Chansey (100%)
Umbreon: 78.7% - 92.9%
Physical Tank Hariyama: 37% - 43.7% (solarbeam does slightly more)
Uxie: 57.1% - 67.2%
Crotomb: 76% - 89.8%
Blaziken: 83.7% - 98.7%
Gabite: 96.4% - 113.4%
Sub Punch Aggron: 62.6% - 73.8% (not 2HKO'ed without Sun)
Claydol: 79% - 93.5%

Solarbeam
Milotic: 49.2% - 58.4% (By extension other Bulky Waters are 2HKO'ed with SR as well)
Regirock: 48.4% - 57.1%
Donphan: 92.7% - 109.4%
Cloyster: 96.7% - 114.5%

Very little in UU can switch into Sunny Day and wall this, and few faster things can OHKO it without Stealth Rock. Specs Alakazam does 86.5% - 101.9% with Psychic, which sets the bar pretty well for Special Attacks, considering Sunny Day. LO Dugtrio will do 95.4% - 112.1% so it still risks dying. Both die outright if Entei uses Flare Blitz instead of Sunny Day. Swords Dance Drapion is doing 50-60% with a LO Earthquake and is OHKOed in return. He covers other Fire-types really well; even Bulky Arcanine can be 2HKOed with Stealth Rock.

Unfortunately, this depends pretty hard on having entry hazards out of the way. Still, a Taunt lead could make it work, since it can break a lot of the walls your opponent sends it's way. Froslass could Taunt your opponent's setup and lay down spikes, possibly even luring in an opposing Fire type for you to set up on.

Also, this may all be wishful thinking because of the nature thing : /.
These calcs are impressive but I doubt the nature will go Entei's way but I'd personally run a CB set which is outclassed by Arcanine because of extremespeed and a way to get past Milotic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)