Eeveelutions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jolteon is great at what it does, as always. (its ability to resist Talonflame's Brave Bird makes it still one of the best glass cannon speedsters out there)
HA Umbreon would be a great Trick Room killer if it had access to Foul Play like in B2W2. But instead it's a Trick Room killer who pokes everything with a stick.
Sylveon is a decent Special wall with some nice support abilities, but needs to Nasty Plot setup to be a capable attacker.

I haven't tried any others. :)

I saw a flareon once! I lol'd, clicked earthquake on my life orb garchomp, and it died with its jolteon buddy. In all of my playing, I have seen maybe two flareon not on a dedicated eeveelution team, and none did anything before dying.

Jolteon, as sarsya said, is good as a glass cannon, but
252+ Atk Life Orb Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Jolteon: 153-181 (56.45 - 66.78%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
I wouldn't call it one of the best just because it can live a brave bird. This is doubles so protecting with one then attacking with another is so common a sash set is basically needed. In general though, I would still say jolteon is one of the best eeveelutions for doubles, mainly because most of them suck. Same deal with espeon.

Vaporeon is stally so not really suited for doubles, but I've seen a few work out. Usually it prolonged a game for a few turns but never did much to me other than scald hax + protect spam. Some sets also run wish, but wish is mediocre in doubles. I guess you could say its just not suited for doubles. In doubles, it's VAPOOREON. Same deal with umbreon.

Its too early for me to say anything about Sylveon, I haven't seen many.

I think I have only ever run an espeon myself though, just to test sticky web bounce at the beginning of gen 6, but it was too frail and was off my team in no time.

The eeveelutions are outdated in the current doubles metagame. They don't have ANY form of priority save QA and so are outcompeted at support by Klefki, Meowstic, and the other pranksters. The eeveelution sweepers lack either bulk or spread moves, which non-priority mons need to make a difference. They don't have the coverage they need without hidden power. If they run bulky stalls sets, they can be essentially ignored while the enemy team wipes out the other side of the field. They don't have taunt, they don't have the Guard moves, and while their status inflicting abilities are limited I guess Jolty can twave and Flareon can will o wisp, maybe Vaporeon can fish for Scald burns.

Umbreon is probably better than the others if he runs status+swagplay alongside something actually decent. Jolteon is still useful to outspeed and blast mons like Togekiss and Gyarados, but IMO he should always be volt switching until the enemy ground mons are dead.

That said they are decent on absorber teams that utilize spread moves and their abilities to boost their stats/hp, but not on the same team as each other. I could see Jolteon and Vappy together with Hydration vappy as the rain setter and that's it.

Everyone forgetting the new guy in town, Sylveon?

Sylveon can run dual screens and has an especially effective (see : neutral to almost everything that isn't weak to it barring steel and poison) spread move. She's got a monster Special Defense stat and you can supplement her somewhat lacking HP and Defense a little bit with Bold and/or smart EVs. Slap a leftovers on her when it's all said and done, you have yourself a pretty darn tanky little eevolution. Umbreon can tank a bit better but Sylveon has the benefit of a move pool more similar to Espeon, and an ability that acts as a pretty strong physical attack deterrence.

Umbreon is basically only good for maybe wishing or confuse spreading (Swagger/Confuse Ray), but his stalling abilities aren't nearly as beneficial in doubles as they have the potential to be in singles.

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Locking this thread as the Eeveelutions have typically underperformed in Doubles and none of them are particularly good now. Also, the OP is a prime example of what not to do when starting a discussion thread.

EDIT:
<Pwnemon> fartyblast
<Pwnemon> i would love it if you would mention that fan categorizations have no relevance to competitive pokemon and thus we shouldnt lump things together by "eeveelution" "pseudolegend" etc
<Arcticblast> k done

Level 51 edit: I told you so, KingWein .....

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)