National Dex Early Christmas: An Anti-Meta Sceptile-Mega Team in National Dex

:sm/sceptile-mega: :sv/heatran: :sv/azumarill: :ss/clefable: :sv/great-tusk: :sv/rotom-heat:

Overview:
This is the third incarnation of this team, featuring my favorite starter Mega: Mega Sceptile which, in my opinion, is extremely underrated. Mega Sceptile, despite its frailty, has a more than decent offensive profile. It boasts a high Special Attack and Speed stat of 145, making it the fastest Dragon type in the game. This team isn't really centered around Mega Sceptile, but instead focuses on bringing out the strengths of each member of the team to counter some metagame threats.

Teambuilding Process
So here I am, just getting swept by Ogrepon-Heartflame, and I just thought "What if there was a pokemon that was faster than Ogrepon, that could 2HKO it before it got a Swords Dance and Trailblaze?" Mega Sceptile, one of my favorite pokemon, was also a subject of thought. I combined the 2 ideas together, and the idea for this team came around when I saw these calculations:
252 SpA Sceptile-Mega Dragon Pulse vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Ogerpon-Hearthflame: 156-184 (51.8 - 61.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Sceptile-Mega Leaf Storm vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Ursaluna-Bloodmoon: 434-512 (100.9 - 119%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Sceptile-Mega Leaf Storm vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Ursaluna: 422-498 (90.9 - 107.3%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO
252 SpA Sceptile-Mega Leaf Storm vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Urshifu-Rapid-Strike: 494-584 (122.2 - 144.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Sceptile-Mega Leaf Storm vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Garganacl: 356-420 (88.1 - 103.9%) -- 25% chance to OHKO

And after seeing that Sceptile is basically a hard counter against these threats,
I sought out to make a core that had a solid way to square up against the big metagame threats like Ogerpon.
:sceptile-mega: :heatran:
Heatran is a great partner with Sceptile-M, as it resists all of Sceptile-M's weaknesses and provides Stealth Rock and Taunt support.
:sceptile-mega: :heatran: :azumarill:
I do not know what's wrong with me, but I decided to make this a Fire-Grass-Water and Dragon-Steel-Fairy core by adding Azumarill. I needed a physical water type that wasn't Ogrepon, and Azumarill was the first thing that came to mind. Azumarill has kinda fallen off, but it is still a good pokemon, and can still sweep teams.
:sceptile-mega: :heatran: :azumarill: :clefable:
Clefable is a great counter against set-up sweepers, and is a nice support pokemon.
:sceptile-mega: :heatran: :azumarill: :clefable: :great-tusk:
I needed a second physical attacker, as to avoid being completely walled by Blissey/Chansey and Clodsire, and Great Tusk came to mind.
:sceptile-mega: :heatran: :azumarill: :clefable: :great-tusk: :rotom-heat:
Finally, Rotom-Heat serves as a pivot that can cripple physical attackers and provides valuable resistances to the team.

Team Breakdown

:sm/sceptile-mega:

Sceptile-Mega @ Sceptilite
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
-Giga Drain
-Leaf Storm
-Focus Blast
-Dragon Pulse

Mega Sceptile, of course, is the first pokemon that we will cover on this team. Sceptile-Mega (as shown before) is a solid counter to many metagame threats, outspeeding and revenge-killing many common pokemon in the tier, such as Ogerpon, Iron Valiant, Samurott, Dragapult, Garganacl, Kartana, and more. Sceptile's main STAB move is Leaf Storm, which is how it will get most of its KOs. Giga Drain is for recovery, along with a secondary Grass STAB. Focus Blast gives us coverage against Steel types, and Dragon Pulse provides a Dragon STAB, so it can hit things like Dragapult, Garchomp, Dragonite, etc. The set focuses on maximizing Sceptile's damage output, so it can enjoy getting KOs throughout the game.

:sv/heatran:

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
Tera Type: Grass
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 212 SpD / 40 Spe
Calm Nature
-Magma Storm
-Taunt
-Stealth Rock
-Earth Power

Heatran is the second part of the core, and it provides support and resistances for our frail Sceptile. Magma Storm is the main STAB move, and can also trap opponents and allow Heatran to set up Stealth Rock or get a KO. Taunt is for stopping status moves, and can effectively block set-up and hazard control. Stealth Rock provides us with hazard control and Earth Power is for coverage. This set is mainly focused on giving Heatran a specially bulky profile, and gives the team a pseudo-wall of sorts. Tera Grass is to trick Ground types, but who didn't already know that?

:sv/azumarill:

Azumarill @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Huge Power
Tera Type: Fairy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
-Belly Drum
-Ice Spinner
-Play Rough
-Aqua Jet

Next up is Azumarill, and this was a bit more controversial on my part. I was focused on making a Fire-Water-Grass core, and I achieved that by making a Fire-Steel, Grass-Dragon, and Water-Fairy core. Azumarill provides the team with a powerful offensive pokemon that can take out common threats with the powerful combination of Fairy+Water. Belly Drum, as commonly seen on almost every Azumarill set, is for set-up. Ice Spinner is for coverage. Play Rough provides Azumarill with its main STAB move, and Aqua Jet gives it priority. The EV spread and Tera is focused on giving Azumarill the ability to utterly dominate opponents with max Attack EVs, while also giving it more bulk with the max HP EVs.

:ss/clefable:

Clefable @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Unaware
Tera Type: Steel
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Careful Nature
-Thunder Wave
-Soft-Boiled
-Knock Off
-Stealth Rock

Clefable may seem like an odd choice to some, but I still find The Fairy Pokemon to be viable in National Dex OU. It serves as a defensive pivot, often coming in to check set-up sweepers. Unaware is extremely good in this current stage in the metagame, and can really make certain pokemon wish that they either attacked or swapped out instead of clicking their set-up move. Thunder Wave + Knock Off can make Clefable really annoying, and is a great support combo. Soft Boiled is there for recovery and to increase Clefable's longevity, and Stealth Rock serves as an entry hazard to chip down opponents. The EVs are utilized to make Clefable as physically defensive as possible, and Rocky Helmet provides a way for Clefable to cause even more damage against physical attackers.

:sv/great-tusk:

Great Tusk @ Booster Energy
Ability: Protosynthesis
Tera Type: Ground
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
-Rapid Spin
-Headlong Rush
-Close Combat
-Bulk Up

I felt that entry hazards, especially Sticky Web, would ruin the team's(mainly Mega Sceptile's) chances at getting KOs, and I needed a Rapid Spinner with a decent offensive profile. Enter Great Tusk: a pokemon with exactly what I needed. This set is mainly focused on setting up with Bulk Up and/or Rapid Spin, before beating down opponents with the STAB coverage of Headlong Rush+Close Combat. The EV spread is for maximum offense with attack and speed, and a bit of HP EVs for bulk. Tera Ground is to remove some of Great Tusk's weaknesses, while giving it a devastating STAB Headlong Rush.

:sv/rotom-heat:

Rotom-Heat @ Eject Button
Ability: Levitate
Tera Type: Electric
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
-Volt Switch
-Overheat
-Will-O-Wisp
-Thunder Wave

Finally, we have Rotom-Heat. One of my friends jokingly said that I must have made a typo and typed HEAT instead of WASH. Despite being outshined by its Water type counterpart, this little microwave has its strengths. It has the most resistances of all the Rotoms, and has Will-O-Wisp + Thunder Wave as the ultimate crippling move combo. Volt Switch allows Rotom-Heat to pivot out safely, and chip down the foe, which gives whatever ally that switches in an easier time. Overheat is used for getting easy KOs, like on Ferrothorn or Gholdengo, and Eject Button allows Rotom to give its teammates safe switch-ins. The EV spread is focused on maximizing speed and HP, with Tera Electric to remove all weaknesses.

Conclusion
There really isn't anything left to say, although I really hope that you try out the team and give it some criticism. I will not be mad if you say that Mega Sceptile is bad(it's not) or that Rotom-Heat is never-used, as it is all just our opinions.
PokePaste Link

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)