Monotype Dune Depths - My attempt on a Ground-Type monotype

Welcome to my attempt at making a monotype ground team. I don't really know much about the monotype meta but it seemed really interesting so I decided to make this team. Please help me improve whatever you see below! (Apologies if the formatting is bad as I'm doing this in mobile)

1. Hippowdon
Spr_5b_450_m.png

I chose hippowdon for 2 main reasons. Obviously he's a sand setter and for a mono-ground team that's incredibly valuable. And he's pretty tanky, normally functioning as my main tank. In most games I notice him holding his own, normally I don't really wanna lose him tho for the sand so he doesn't get much play outside of taking hits that would normally kill one of the sweepers.
2. Excadrill
Spr_5b_530.png

Normally in a sand team I would use dracozolt but since this is mono-ground here's the primary sweeper. Excadrill is normally sent as a follow up after Hippowdon (unless garchomp is better suited for whatever reason). Excadrill just has insane power in sand and if played carefully can sweep entire teams. Excadrill is incredibly valuable in almost every encounter (especially those where garchomp isn't)

3. Garchomp
Spr_5b_445_m.png

A pseudo-legendary feared by all who fought Cynthia without a fast ice type, functions as a secondary sweeper to Excadrill incase it dies or we're fighting a fighting type mono. This pokemon is normally played as a follow up to Hippowdon to abuse sand veil (which I was surprised to find isn't illegal in monotype). Garchomp feels like flipping a coin a bit. Sometimes he's really good and sometimes he isn't (or more accurately isn't as good as excadrill). He can provide game winning value but with how inconsistent it is I'm not exactly sure it's all that useful.

4. Nidoking
Spr_5b_034.png

Nidoking is stupidly good on this team. He's the lead if Hippowdon isn't the way to go (which doesn't happen much). Most importantly he has coverage. So much coverage. Nidoking passes obstacles that stop things like Excadrill from sweeping. But he's really good on his own too. Sheer Force + Life orb is a very lethal combo that can sweep teams if left unchecked. Nidoking is insanely valuable on this team and I would rarely (if ever) sac him off.

5. Landorus-T
Spr_5b2_645T.png

From my experience using Lando-T it's as a sweeper, but as a tank he works just as well. He plays as a 2nd tank and a bit of extra support with gravity. I've found him to enable the sweepers to do their job extra well and stop a lot of mons before they become too much of a problem. Lando-T is decently valuable as the pressure he creates with little effort is pretty nice to sometimes force out a sub-optimal move.

6. Swampert
Spr_5b_260.png

To be completely honest I don't use this mon all that much. No hate to swampert or anything but it's stuck in a weird place on the team. Swampert is a special tank with a little bit of offensive pressure but I feel that Lando-T does this exact job but better. Normally Swampert isn't all that valuable, but this isn't exactly a fair diagnosis because I don't use him much.

Hippowdon @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 128 Def / 128 SpD
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Slack Off
- Whirlwind

Garchomp @ Life Orb
Ability: Sand Veil
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Scale Shot
- Stone Edge

Excadrill @ Choice Band
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- X-Scissor
- Rapid Spin

Landorus-Therian @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 144 Def / 68 SpD / 48 Spe
Impish Nature
- Substitute
- Bulk Up
- Earthquake
- Gravity

Nidoking @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Earth Power
- Flamethrower
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt

Swampert @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 240 HP / 16 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Roar
- Flip Turn

So yeah, that's my attempt at ground type mono. Please help me improve it as I feel like it could definitely be better, but I just don't know how.

Well, all I think of is if using gravity Nidoking should have at least 1 attack that is stronger at the cost of acc. Just being able to hit w/ ground is major, but why stop there?

Giyu

Tomioka
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Contributor to Smogon
Swampert should be Gastrodon or Seismitoad, that Water-type immunity is crucial. Consider Mamowsine for Ice-types too,

Neko

When you live for love, how precious life can be
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributor
Hard to say just one. Ice Beam could be blizzard, flamethrower could be fire blast, t-bolt could be thunder.

Probably fire blast over thrower is best of those
About this, this is a bad idea as Gravity Bulk up Landorus-T only really sets up Gravity for itself (or Excadrill). Fire Blast isn't really that nice of an option either as you can get PP stalled by Steel cores due to only having 8 PP.

For Excadrill, I highly suggest running :choice_band: over life orb, this allows it to preserve its health to scare threats for longer, and the extra power comes in clutch in some moments.
252+ Atk Life Orb Excadrill X-Scissor vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Slowbro: 174-205 (44.1 - 52%) -- 13.3% chance to 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Excadrill X-Scissor vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Slowbro: 200-236 (50.7 - 59.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Definitely swap out swampert for Seismitoad or Gastrodon though.
Seismitoad @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 212 HP / 68 Atk / 120 Def / 108 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Toxic
- Power Whip
- Scald / Substitute
Does not get OHKO'ed by Urshifu-R's Close Combat. Outspeeds and heavily damages threats like Crawdaunt and Azumarill. 108 Speed EVs outspeeds Adamant Crawdaunt.
You can customize the EVs/item, but make sure that you still hit the 210 Speed benchmark, else you're better off with Gastrodon.

Speaking of which
Gastrodon-East @ Leftovers
Ability: Storm Drain
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
- Earthquake
- Scald
- Toxic / Clear Smog
- Recover
Its certainly a better wall than Seismitoad, able to take on and annoy too many things. However, its very passive. Clear Smog lets you not gets mowed down by setup sweepers like Hattrene, Cosmic Power Mew, and CM Fini, though you better have a secondary plan for them.

Also definitely consider Mamoswine, possibly over Nidoking, as Ice Shard, checking Kyurem, and Ice-Ground STABs being nice is something to take note of. Should you do that tho, I'd suggest running Fire Fang over Stone Edge on it to threaten Ferrothorn immediately. Alternative, run Substitute-Swords Dance-Earthquake-Scale Shot to capitalize on the turns the opponent misses an attack.
Mamoswine @ Assault Vest
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 4 HP / 184 Atk / 136 SpD / 184 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Ice Shard
- Icicle Crash
- Superpower
- Earthquake
Checks Kyurem and Galarian Moltres, with the added bonus of not letting Scarf Lele mow down the team late-game due to its ability to not get 2HKO'ed by it. Speed hits 241, which is usually enough to outpace meanies like Tapu Bulu, Bisharp, etc.
Mamoswine @ Choice Band
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Icicle Crash
- Earthquake
- Superpower
- Ice Shard
Damage.
:gastrodon: :mamoswine: version
:seismitoad: :nidoking: version

You can mix up the mons sets / water immune to see what works better for you. Have a nice day and cya around in monotype! :blobnom:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)