Other Dumplings (ORAS PU)

Raiza

is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Championis a Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
World Defender

stealing format from galbia because i'm lazy

Introduction:
Hey, Raiza here, finally I decided to post a RMT to celebrate my 900th post and victory to PUPL this week so there you go. This team was originally made to be used against Magnemite this week in PUPL, but using it more it showed to be solid against a big slice of the metagame and not matchup reliant. I never abused Regice that much since I started playing PU, so I thought about making a team built around it because I wanted to try it out in a more substantial way, especially because most opposing teams are unprepared to it nowadays, and paired it with my most used Pokemon in PUPL until now, Stoutland, to form a nice core backed up by a solid backbone and an utility revengekiller to form a bulky offense team. Unfortunately ladder crashed while I was laddering so didn't manage to peak #1 but as soon as it works again I'll try to get to it and post proof here.

Teambuilding Process:

As I already said, I started building this team using this core, formed by Rock Polish Regice and Choice Band Stoutland, as a base, and it worked nicely. The basic idea was pairing to Regice a physical wallbreaker that carried both offensive presence and alright bulk to fit in a bulky offense team, to break through common stops to Regice during mid-game. Stoutland manages to fullfill both my expectations while it also carries good coverage moves such as Pursuit that allow it to trap Pokemon such as Grumpig.

I then decided to go on a ''bulkier'' path for my team and added Stunfisk as a first member of my backbone and Stealth Rock setter, which support Regice to wear down its checks along with other utility moves. Stunfisk also worked nicely as a stop to Electric-types, which were used a lot by my opponent in previous weeks.

Because I didn't want Regice to get worn down against Stealth Rock, to keep it at high health during the game, and needed a check to special attackers such as Simipour and Poliwrath, I added Pelipper. Pelipper is able to support my team, especially Regice, because of its access to Defog, while it can wear down and cripple foes with Scald, sometimes also gaining setup opportunities to Regice.

I added Tangela as a definive stop to physical attackers such as Stoutland, as Stunfisk wasn't enough because of its lack of recovery and because most of the time it has to be sacrificed during early-mid game to set up Stealth Rock, and because Ground-types such as Torterra completely steamrolled through my team.

As a last slot I added Mr. Mime. Mr. Mime works as my revengekiller and additional check to Fighting- and random Dragon-types, while it still keeps in check special attackers such as Regice itself and can provide utility keeping healthy one of my Pokemon(Regice most of the time), if needed, because of Healing Wish.

In depth:

Regice @ Life Orb
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Rock Polish
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Focus Blast

Regice is the Pokemon I wanted to start building on this team, and for good reasons. Its access to great coverage moves such as Thunderbolt and Focus Blast, backed by a solid STAB in Ice Beam, in conjunction with solid bulk, make it extremely difficult to deal with, especially against unprepared teams. Life Orb is a nice addition to make Regice hit even stronger, though Life Orb makes it prone to pillaring by the opponent, so be careful as it could bring Regice in range of priority moves or attacks from revengekillers such as Mr. Mime or Raichu. The set doesn't carry anything special anyway as it is the standard one so we can move on.

Stoutland @ Choice Band
Ability: Scrappy
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Return
- Superpower
- Facade
- Pursuit

I always liked Stoutland because of its high sheer power backed by a great ability in Scrappy and access to moves such as Superpower and Pursuit, so I decided it would've fit once again in one of my teams as a wallbreaker, though recently I also tried out the Choice Scarf set and that also perfomed good. Scrappy is one of the main reasons this is such a beast paired with a Choice item, as it limits prediction to minimum, not having to be weary about Ghost-types and therefore allowing Stoutland to spam Return most of the time.

Stunfisk @ Leftovers
Ability: Static
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Discharge
- Earth Power
- Toxic

Stunfisk is another Pokemon I wanted to try out for a while, especially because galbia used it against me in PUPL and it did wonders, but I didn't have the opportunity or inspiration to build a team with it in. To be honest, Stunfisk managed to satisfy my expectations as both Stealth Rock setter and check to physical attackers in a good manner, as its bulk allows it to be durable even without carrying any recovery, while it has access to moves such as Toxic that can cripple foes and even common safe switchins such as Tangela or Grumpig, especially the latter which is a pain for Regice. In fact, Stunfisk has a notable niche in the tier as one of the best status spreaders in balanced or bulky offensive teams, so I didn't think more than two times about adding it on my team.

Pelipper @ Leftovers
Ability: Keen Eye
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Defog
- Scald
- Roost
- Air Slash

After the departure of Togetic, Pelipper is without doubt one if not the best user of Defog in the tier, so my attention rapidly fell to it when I was in search of a Pokemon that could keep hazard control to my side. Pelipper is able to fit into my team because of a mix of bulk and typing, which allow it to check dangerous attackers such as Poliwrath and Simipour, along with access to moves such as Scald which make it threatening to almost every physical attacker, making it unique among Defog and Rapid Spin users. I choose Air Slash as a last moveslot because it allows to deal with Poliwrath, mainly, in a direct way without having to rely on U-Turn and switch to a favorable matchup after checking it, also because my team doesn't necessarily need momentum to work as it has plenty and durable switch-ins to a big slice of the tier.

Tangela @ Eviolite
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sleep Powder
- Synthesis
- Knock Off

Tangela has been hyped a lot recently, especially because of its high usage into PUPL and I have to say it's amazing. It has a sky high physical bulk for the tier, which along Eviolite, a decent defensive typing and Regenerator, make it one of the most solid defensive Pokemon to rely on and therefore I choose it as my pivot and main answer to physical attackers, mainly Stoutland and Ground-types such as Torterra. Tangela still isn't passive, as it carries ok Special Attack and utility moves such as Sleep Powder and Knock Off, which don't make it a sitting duck and allow it to provide a lot of utility and setup opportunities to Regice.

Mr. Mime @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Filter
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psyshock / Psychic
- Dazzling Gleam
- Healing Wish
- Focus Blast

Many people underestimate the potential Mr. Mime carries, but I still think it carves a great niche in its great STAB combination and the amount of utility it is able to provide, which has a big value especially on a bulky offensive team and is the main reason I choose to run it as my last slot. It of course has downsides such as its mediocre Defense, but my team has a solid enough backbone to take care of physical attackers and Mr. Mime is still able to be sort of a check to Fighting-types and special attackers, so it achieves the designed job for me most of the times. As you may have noticed, I decided to run Psyshock over Psychic, as I wanted another answer to the common Specially Defensive Clefairy that it is being used recently, though you can still opt for using Psychic if you're confident you can deal with Clefairy well and want a bit more power.

Shoutouts:
pu peeps (sun) thx for making pu what it is ecc.

Importable:
Regice @ Life Orb
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Rock Polish
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Focus Blast

Stoutland @ Choice Band
Ability: Scrappy
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Return
- Superpower
- Facade
- Pursuit

Stunfisk @ Leftovers
Ability: Static
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Discharge
- Earth Power
- Toxic

Pelipper @ Leftovers
Ability: Keen Eye
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Defog
- Scald
- Roost
- Air Slash

Tangela @ Eviolite
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sleep Powder
- Synthesis
- Knock Off

Mr. Mime @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Filter
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psyshock
- Dazzling Gleam
- Healing Wish
- Focus Blast

Last edited:

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
anally raped by smashcosta and your hide tags on the importable are messed up
oh yeah nice ice type resistances
will actually rate later even though advice is prob shit don't worry

Ok, talked it over in Skype but still posting here so people see rate. I think Ursaring>Stoutland patches up your major issues here. Like most ORAS tiers it's really hard to deal with every threat, and your team does a good job of handling most. Ice types will still be annoying but Ursaring helps beat the Tangela+Clefairy core which, despite not being perfect or amazing I get it, still basically beats your team if they don't let Tangela knock something off. SD Ursa breaks past that while also helping to check Rapidash, which you mostly rely on getting Stunfisk's static and Tangela living one hit with for that. I think it's the most direct change, helps solve most of your problems, and makes it harder for Smashcosta to set up (this is still a pain in the dick but doesnt set up on enough stuff).

0 SpA Stunfisk Sludge Wave vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Tangela: 156-184 (46.7 - 55%) -- 66.8% chance to 2HKO

this is something else I'd consider, helps vs Tangela which is still annoying, especially if you don't go ursa since I know you were reluctant, and toxic is mostly filler anyway. Protect or even pain split could be used but I like this here.

Last edited:

Raiza

is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Championis a Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
World Defender
anally raped by smashcosta and your hide tags on the importable are messed up
oh yeah nice ice type resistances
will actually rate later even though advice is prob shit don't worry
Shell Smash isn't nearly an issue since it can set up only on Stoutland locked into Return or Pelipper(which can burn it) and even still it is checked by Tangela. Even if I find the rare Ice Beam version, Stunfisk is able to check it if high HP, eventually I could give it some evs in special defense to check it better but it's really uncommon.
Ice-types are rather rare and when I find them I manage to get away most of the time with coverage from Mr. Mime / my own Regice. Mr. Mime can also Healing Wish Regice so it can win 1v1 against opposing ones or Pokemon like Vanilluxe and Articuno which eventually become setup fodder so they're not a big problem to the team.

edit: I'll try ursaring and report here

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)