Dugtrio

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus

DUGTRIO

I think it's time for the world to be revealed... of the demon that could spawn from this thing.
Code:
#51 - Dugtrio
Type: Ground
Base Stats:

35 HP
80 Atk
50 Def
50 SpA
70 SpD
120 Spe

[b]Abilities[/b]

[u]Arena Trap[/u]
   Traps opponents that do not Levitate or Fly.

[u]Sand Veil[/u]
   Raises Evasion in Sandstorm

[u]Sand Power[/u] - Dreamworld Exclusive
  Boosts Rock-, Ground-, and Steel-type moves
in a Sandstorm.

Move List

Level-Up

[b]Lv1: Night Slash[/b]
Lv1: Tri Attack
Lv1: Scratch
Lv1: Sand-Attack
Lv1: Growl
Lv4: Growl
Lv7: Astonish
Lv12: Mud-Slap
Lv15: Magnitude
Lv18: Smooth Over
[b]Lv23: Sucker Punch[/b]
Lv26: Sand Tomb
Lv28: Mud Bomb
Lv33: Earth Power
Lv40: Dig
Lv45: Slash
[b]Lv50: Earthquake[/b]
Lv57: Fissure

TMs and HMs (Gen 5)

[b]TM01 - Claw Sharpen
TM06 - Toxic[/b]
TM10 - Hidden Power
TM11 - Sunny Day
TM15 - Hyper Beam
TM17 - Protect
TM21 - Frustration
TM26 - Earthquake
TM27 - Return
TM28 - Dig
TM32 - Double Team
TM34 - Sludge Wave
TM36 - Sludge Bomb
TM37 - Sandstorm
TM39 - Rock Tomb
[b]TM40 - Aerial Ace[/b]
TM42 - Facade
TM44 - Rest
TM45 - Attract
TM46 - Thief
TM48 - Troll
TM49 - Echo Voice
[b]TM65 - Shadow Claw[/b]
TM68 - Giga Impact
[b]TM71 - Stone Edge[/b]
TM78 - Smooth Over
[b]TM80 - Rock Slide[/b]
TM87 - Swagger
[b]TM90 - Substitute[/b]
TM94 - Rock Smash
HM01 - Cut

Breeding

Faint Attack
Screech
AncientPower
Pursuit
[b]Beat Up[/b]
Uproar
Mud Bomb
Astonish
Reversal
Headbutt
Endure
Desperation
[b][u]Memento[/u][/b]

Gen 4 Notable TMs (I'm not going to list them 
all because the vast majority are either
the same or "won't be used")

Natural Gift
Stealth Rock

4th Gen Move Tutors

Snore

3rd Gen Moves

Fury Swipes (FRLG Lv 21)
Body Slam (Move Tutor)
Double-edge (Move Tutor)
Mimic (Move Tutor)
[Dugtrio At A Glance]
  • Memento. Yes, Dugtrio learns Memento now with Breeding. Note that it is illegal with Stealth Rock as well, so don't get excited on that one. Memento is the most noteworthy addition to Dugtrio primarily because Dugtrio has Arena Trap. It is guaranteed to use Memento on a Pokemon that it is forced upon so long as it is grounded. This could be a scary addition for Dugtrio.
  • Arena Trap. A solid ability, Arena Trap, makes Grounded Pokemon suffer for existing. What better to trap them when many of them will suffer from Earthquake?
  • 120 Speed. What's a nice thing for a trapper? The trapper being quick! Base 120 Speed gets the vast majority of the old OU metagame and will likely get the vast majority of the new Pokemon as well. For reference, the new Pokemon that are faster than Dugtrio are as follows: Agirudaa, Meloia (Step Forme). That's it!
  • Somewhat underwhelming in power. It's not the strongest Pokemon on earth. Base 80 Attack is nothing that screams powerful.
  • LolDefenses. It's frail and only boasts an Electric immunity. You're only pulling Claw Sharpens on Electric locks.

[Possible Movesets]

[SET]
name: It's a Trap!
move 1: Earthquake
move 2: Rock Slide / Stone Edge
move 3: Night Slash / Sucker Punch
move 4: Memento
ability: Arena Trap
item: Choice Band / Life Orb
nature: Jolly
evs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe

The only thing that changes is that Memento should be an option on the set. You're likely not going Adamant either, as it prevents Dugtrio from trapping Starmie as well as many other Pokemon that have trollish Speeds. Still the best set for it.

Choice Scarf is an option...

[SET]
name: Sand Power
move 3: Night Slash
move 4: Memento / Sucker Punch
ability: Sand Power
item: Life Orb

It's only noteworthy because of the ability itself. Not sure how much Sand Power increases the moves though. Probably better as an Other Option material, but *shrugs*.

So not much has changed for Dugtrio aside from the metagame... and Memento. Discuss.

name: Physical Shandera
move 1: Substitute
move 2: Claw Sharpen
move 3: Earthquake / Fissure? lol
move 4: Sucker Punch / Stone Edge
item: Life Orb / Leftovers

The idea is simple, switch into an obvious Wall who can't touch you without the use of Status inflicting moves, which is where Substitute becomes really handy. Once safely behind a Sub, raise your Attack and Accuracy and sweepity sweep sweep.

@Wynought: That set may look good on paper but the only real opportunity it has to set up is a choiced Electric move as even walls with a support role carry STAB and Seismic Toss. Dugtrio is a good trapper and revenge killer, that's the only thing it can do decently.

^ I really can't think of anything it can set up on tbh haha.

Remember reading Sand Power increased ground, rock and steel move x2. No Arena Trap but still cool as a gimmick i guess.

Do we know the exact mechanics of Desperation yet? Does the damage depend on remaining HP or total HP? If it's the former, then I think combining Arena Trap and Desperation would be deadly.

Dugtrio @Life Orb
Jolly
HP 4 / ATK 252 / SPE 252
-Earthquake
-Stone Edge
-Night Slash/Sucker Punch
-Desperation

While Dugtrio doesn't have the biggest HP, 212 damage still leaves a sizable dent in most sweepers and walls. Of course Earthquake, Stone Edge and Night Slash form his main attacking options, leaving Desperation as his last ditch effort; kind of like Explosion before it get nerfed.

Fissure ignores Accuracy boosts, or atleast it did in Gen 4, so it's not going to help Dugtrio at all. I have a feeling there will be plenty of Choiced Thunderbolts and Volt Changes you could get it in on, but you have to predict perfectly or have Dugtrio get KOd. Seems like a high risk, high reward situation since you get Dugtrio to +6 behind a Sub and basically get atleast 2 kills. Shanderaa's probably better at this, though.

The problem I see with Desperation is that Dugtrio already has low HP and you're making it even lower with Life Orb. It won't work as well as Explosion used to because you can't effectively use it after Dugtrio has gotten down to low HP.

Memento is a pretty neat move on Dugtrio, forcing a switch for your setup sweeper once Dugtrio is on his last legs, and he can make good use of this with his speed. It's no Explosion, but that got nerfed to heck anyways, so heh. If entry hazards become less popular, it might be worth running a Focus Sash so that you can get off Memento no matter what.

On another note, Sand Strength has a lot of potential, since many people won't try switching out of Dugtrio anyways. Sandstorm is fairly common as well thanks to Tyranitar, so it might not be a complete giveaway. Plus it gives Dugtrio the power boost that he really needs.

If only Electrode had gotten such a sweet deal. :D

It's true that the number of Choiced Pokés with Volt Charge will be pretty huge, especially in the lower tiers, but since Gen IV came out Dugtrio has been the only reason why no one should spam choiced Electric type moves everywhere before scouting opposing Pokémon.

Just a little nitpick:

[SET]
name: Sand Power
move 2: Rock Slide / Earthquake
move 3: Night Slash
move 4: Memento / Sucker Punch
ability: Sand Power
item: Life Orb
Did you mean Stone Edge?

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
He's still Dugtrio. Good revenge killer...

Also Memento on him is absolutely bullshit.
Momento a weak ass pokemon, and setup a Rock Polish / Swords Dance with Gliscor and Baton Pass. Imagine that behind screens...

On another note, Sand Strength has a lot of potential, since many people won't try switching out of Dugtrio anyways. Sandstorm is fairly common as well thanks to Tyranitar, so it might not be a complete giveaway. Plus it gives Dugtrio the power boost that he really needs.
Unless when Dugtrio comes out a big banner flashes across the screen saying Dugtrio's sand strength was activated. Off the top of my head I can't remember if any youtube videos with the mole did that, but if so, it ruins that idea. (Of course, if the banner doesn't show, anyone who wants to switch out of dugtrio should be smart enough to try to switch, since at worst it will tell you you can't. It won't waste a turn to try).

[SET]
name: It's a Trap!
move 3: Night Slash / Sucker Punch
move 4: Memento
item: Choice Band / Life Orb
just something that took my interest...
216 Speed and jolly is overall better, let's you outrun every + base 115, invest the rest into defences to survive random weak priority moves, and to be honest there isn't anything that dugtrio would like to speed tie with:

Sceptile: Hum... no thanks.
Alakazam: Sucker punch it.
Other dugtrio: Yeah right...
Arceus: lol

And that's it, unless i'm forgeting someone.

Unless when Dugtrio comes out a big banner flashes across the screen saying Dugtrio's sand strength was activated. Off the top of my head I can't remember if any youtube videos with the mole did that, but if so, it ruins that idea. (Of course, if the banner doesn't show, anyone who wants to switch out of dugtrio should be smart enough to try to switch, since at worst it will tell you you can't. It won't waste a turn to try).
Fair enough, I guess. D: If this thing works like Mold Breaker, then my idea won't work at all, and people can still try and switch anyways.

I absolutely adore the Claw Sharpen set, but seems a bit too difficult to pull off.
However, I expect to see a lot of Choice Scarf electro u-turn, so maybe it won't be TOO difficult.

Nobody's gonna use choice'd electric moves if they see dugtrio on your team before the match begins..
This is Dug's big worry. If that "see your enemy's team" thing goes through it will hurt him terribly.

Other then that Dug seems like he'll stay mostly the same. Maybe add Memento but other then that...

Edit:
That only happens on Wi-Fi, not Local battles. So, on Pokemon Lab, you wont see you're opponent's team.
Has this be confirmed to be the case? I had thought it was still up in the air.

Ash Borer

I've heard they're short of room in hell
Im going to guess a 1.3x damage boost is what sand power does.

A nice 195 power move with 120 base speed is great.

A thought. Have you ever had dugtrio switch in, and you submitted your pokemon assuming it had arena trap on?

I know I have once or twice, by mistake. If sand power is rare at best for dugtrio sets, would it be fair to say that dugtrio gains a small advantage in tricking or fooling your opponent into thinking they cant switch out?

would it be fair to say that dugtrio gains a small advantage in tricking or fooling your opponent into thinking they cant switch out?
Unless a message comes up telling them of sand power, yes I think most will assume you have arena trap. Well, maybe the sand storm will tip them off. How common is Dug on Sand teams?

My only problem with Dugtrio that has stopped me from using it is that its weak. A Life Orbed Earthquake from Max Attack Jolly Dugtrio only does around 55% to 4 HP/252 Def Chansey, and Life Orb damage will be stalled with Softboiled. Outside of its mediocre attack stat, I like its ability to trap pokemon, and with Memento, it has been upgraded nicely. I might try this out in the lower tiers..

A thought. Have you ever had dugtrio switch in, and you submitted your pokemon assuming it had arena trap on?

I know I have once or twice, by mistake. If sand power is rare at best for dugtrio sets, would it be fair to say that dugtrio gains a small advantage in tricking or fooling your opponent into thinking they cant switch out?
I have, at times, bluffed with Bronzong successfully as a Heatproof, so I can attest that most people might assume they are trapped.

It would certainly make some revenging easier/harder with a boost in power, yet the more attentive people might try switching once after a while to scan for bluffing Dugtrios.

Azure Demon

Momento dugtrio is going to be a monster trap a pokemon outspeed it and then lower the attack and special attack harshly then go into shadow tag shanderra Sub then cm up :)

I know I'll probably be running Dugtrio a lot during the early metagame. He may not be the biggest powerhouse out there, but being able to trap and OHKO Terakion, Shanderaa, and that (BAN ME PLEASE) firemoth is just too good to pass up. Memento is gonna be great on him since it lets him cripple things he can't score a SE hit on.

Memento must be great on Duggy.
I used to use Memento Jumpluff and it is really good, however Duggy is faster.
Anyway if Ninetales is OU I think Duggy will be more.

Seems like he will be outclassed in terms of broad-purpose trapping/revenging in Gen V (damn Shandera), but now he has a niche in trapping/revenging, and memento is a blessing :)

The problem with the sand strength bluff technique is that if it actually works, then people will get into the habit of checking if they can switch. This is unlike Bronzong with heatproof, because if you try to call their bluff you may end up wasting a turn earthquaking a levitating bronzong, whereas there is no drawback if you attempt to switch when dugtrio is in.

I'm surprised dugtrio isn't getting more recognition here. Pursuit appears to be less popular than it was in gen 4 since tyranitar and warubiaru are the only potentially common pursuit users without a fire weakness, almost every wall breaker is weak to ground, and it is arguably the most reliable physical revenge killer in the game. Given solid prediction abilities, choice scarf dugtrio could prove an excellent addition to many stall teams as an answer to blaziken and shanderaa, as well as an all-purpose trapper.

Memento on a pokemon this fast cannot be underestimated either. If you're willing to make the sacrifice, dugtrio would almost guarantee at least one turn of setup. An offensive or balanced rain dance team with a shell break user could use dugtrio as an effective alternative to shanderaa since they wouldn't have to worry about weakening any important fire-type moves. It even has some small synergy with water types with its (albeit very risky) electric resistance.

Dugtrio will probably be much more useful in this gen than it was in the last with scizor being seemingly less popular with all the new fire types in OU as well as the gaps it appears to cover that promise to plague the new breed of stall teams in the 5th gen.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)