Dugtrio @ Focus Sash
Ability: Arena Trap
4 HP/ 252 Atk/ 252 Spe
Nature: Jolly
-Stealth Rock
-Sucker Punch
-Protect
-Earthquake/Reversal

Honestly I saw the rampancy of Ambipom as a lead in UU as an opportunity to flesh-out some lead ideas, this Pokémon is the result of this. The main focus of this set is to beat-out Ambipom by protecting the first move from Fake Out, then Sucker Punch on their probable attack and outspeed them with Reversal, on the switch laying down Stealth Rock's, fairly simple in summation. Dugtrio can also take down the likes of Alakazam but that is a little more iffy, due to the probability of speed tie and then it becomes a game of chance, but with proper prediction you can hit it with SP x2 or Reversal and SP. Also with the ability of Arena Trap, Ambipom without U-turn are screwed and other common leads stand no chance in hell of escaping unscathed. If Dugtrio manages to live much past the initial battle then he can be used as a semi-revenge killer, assuming that Dugtrio will outspeed the opponent later in game.

After some suggestions, I have updated the set to Earthquake over Reversal due to the fact that EQ hits the likes of Alakazam for neutral damage and most common leads in UU have paper thin defenses anyways. Earthquake also allows Dugtrio to address more Pokémon in general, early and late game.

Edits in this format!

Just a quick comment, you do not need Sucker Punch in order to beat Ambipom, Dugtrio will outspeed Ambipom (120 vs. 115) and just use Earthquake to bring it down to Focus Sash. To be fair, I'd avocate Beat Up over Sucker Punch to break Focus Sashes and to deal more damage to Uxie.

Definitely want Earthquake, otherwise Dugtrio is complete dead weight outside the lead position. Once your sash is broken, you'll never get into Reversal range as any attack KOs you. EQ takes care of Ambipom and Alakazam, and gives you an option against a bunch of other leads. On the other hand, Duggy's damage is highly disappointing without a boosting item, as 80 base attack doesn't get you far, so Dugtrio will only be able to finish off very weakened opponents.

I would actually put Nightslash on it instead of Sucker Punch.
It would be the most effective (I think.)
This is actually a interesting idea.. I'll have to test it out!

yes-but night slash has a better crit ratio, and it would be a lot better V.S Uxie, Mesprite leads, etc. It makes it a anti lead instead of a anti Ampipom lead. (I know that's what it is, but this would make it a more viable set.)

Regardless of critical ratio the odds of a critical are still fairly slim, I feel like Sucker Punch is just more reliable, although Night Slash has more PP.

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I remember using a Dugtrio lead last UU round to stop Froslass while setting up SR. It shouldn't be geared to being an anti-lead, in my opinion, but just a fast lead that can reliably set up Stealth Rock, like Aerodactyl in OU. Here's the set I used:

Dugtrio @ Focus Sash
Ability: Arena Trap
EVs: 252 Atk/4 Def/252 Spe
Nature: Jolly
-Stealth Rock
-Earthquake
-Stone Edge
-Sucker Punch/Night Slash

Seven Deadly Sins

~hallelujah~
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Sucker Punch is very important, since it allows Dugtrio to out-priority Fake Out from Ambipom on turn 1. Otherwise, it 2HKOs with Fake Out + Return.

Why is Reversal on this set? I mean I just want some reasoning as to why this is worth getting set up on by every set up lead rather than being able to actually 2HKO all of them with STAB Earthquake. Reversal is very unreliable and it doesn't really give you anything besides bad lead type-coverage.

Also I think Sucker Punch is pretty meh. You have Protect to beat Ambipom 100% of the time with two Earthquakes. Stone Edge should be used instead, in my opinion. It lets you hit Moltres and Scyther.

This is pretty much all from previous experience facing this lead.

Seven Deadly Sins

~hallelujah~
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Why is Protect + Stone Edge better than Sucker Punch + Stone Edge? Sucker Punch at least gives it priority utility later, and both let you beat Ambipom Lead.

Why is Protect + Stone Edge better than Sucker Punch + Stone Edge? Sucker Punch at least gives it priority utility later, and both let you beat Ambipom Lead.
No it doesn't.

Sucker Punch: 30.5% - 36%
Earthquake: 56.8% - 67.1%

this is a funny situation. do calcs :)

Like Corphish hits harder than Dugtrio.

Zystral

めんどくさい、な~
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
The thing is, Sucker Punch and Fake Out are both at +1 Priority, so Dugtrio, being faster will outspeed and Sucker Punch Ambipom before it can Fake Out, and thus EQ for the kill.

Also, as Heysup demonstrated, there is not a 100% chance you will kill Ambipom with EQ. If you get unlucky with damage rolls you will end up with a dead Dugtrio and a 20%ish opponent's Ambipom to face. I'd go ahead and put Reversal over Protect, since Ambipom's Return is OHKOing Dugtrio (Unless I've calced that wrong) all the time, and that's after your Sash is broken by Fake Out as well. Protecting first turn doesn't help either since Ambipom can 2HKO you with anything it has unless you double EQ.

At the least, by Sucker Punching it first turn you break its sash, do at least 30%, and then its Fake Out hits you for 86.8% - 102.4%. At that point, you can then outspeed and use Reversal to OHKO it, since even at 14% you are hitting Ambipom for 76% - 89.7%, meaning you will always OHKO Ambipom even if Sucker Punch's damage variation is lowest, and then you still have a Dugtrio with SRock and a 100 Base Power Reversal to use.

Why waste a moveslot for redundant coverage when you can use Protect and "beat" every Choice lead too?

I guess this lead could always switch out of Ambipom and run Protect / Sucker Punch as a slash.

I think it should look like this:

name: Lead
move 1: Earthquake
move 2: Protect / Sucker Punch
move 3: Stone Edge
move 4: Stealth Rock

Eo Ut Mortus

Elodin Smells
is a Programmeris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SCL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
To me, this just seems like a waste of a Pokemon. You either set up Stealth Rock or KO a fragile Pokemon at the expense of most of your health. Stealth Rock isn't that hard to set up, and there are leads that can be tailored to beat Ambipom and not lose to the second and third most common leads (Uxie and Mesprit). Note that a user intent on preserving his Ambipom could just U-Turn (incidentally another reason why Protect would be more useful than Sucker Punch).

reject. I agree with Eo. suicide leads are for the large part not very effective in UU and this one doesn't do anything exceptional that sets it apart from others. it is cool that Dugtrio gets SR, so just mentioning that along with the possibility of running a Sash lead in Optional Changes seems like it should be enough.

Alright, that makes three. If there is to be an anti-lead set, it shouldn't look like this. Locking and moving.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)