Pokémon Dudunsparce

Base Stats: 125 / 100 / 80 / 85 / 75 / 55 (520)
Abilities: Serene Grace / Run Away / Rattled
Notable Moves:
: Body Press, Body Slam, Dragon Tail, Earthquake, Headbutt, Hyper Drill*, Ice Spinner, Poison Jab, Rock slide, Zen Headbutt
: Air Slash, Boomburst, Earth Power, Fire Blast, Hurricane, Ice Beam, Shadow Ball, Thunderbolt
: Calm Mind, Coil, Glare, Roost, Stealth Rock, Yawn
*Hyper Drill: 100 BP 100 Acc 8PP Normal move that ignores protect moves.

Forms:
Dudunsparce comes as a Two-Segment or Three-Segment form. There are no competitive differences between the two.
Pros:
- Impressive bulk that is a cut above Amoonguss' level.
- Decently powerful Boomburst user. Usable special attack in general gives it a whole slew of coverage.
- Sustainable stealth rock user thanks to roost. Amazing paralysis spreader with Glare or Serene Grace Body Slam.

Cons:
- Faces huge competition from Blissey, who was a similar movepool but superior special defense and Natural Cure
- While normal type provides an important ghost immunity, it possesses no other resistances and is vulnerable to all forms of status and passive damage.
- Offenses are ok, but can be lacking when uninvested.
- Base 55 speed could be better. As the evolved mon of a paraflincher, many paralyzed targets can still outspeed it.
- Paraflinching sets suffer 4MSS

Terastral Potential:
- Dudunsparce will most likely opt for defensive terra types such as poison, fairy, ground, or water. The normal teratype benefits mostly for Boomburst sets. Thanks to it's massive offensive movepool, other unorthodox tera types can be used if you want STAB on a different move that abuses Serene Grace. Lastly, with Rattled revolving around getting hit by a ghost, dark, or bug type move, offensive sets may opt for a type that could reliably trigger it.

Potential Sets:
Specially Defensive
Dudunsparce-Three-Segment @ Heavy Duty Boots / Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Terra Type: Fairy
Careful Nature
- Body Slam
- Stealth Rock / Headbutt
- Roost
- Dragon Tail

Serves as a team's premier specs Dragapult switch-in. With boots, It is unable to be 2hkoed by Draco as well as Timid Scarf Chi-Yu's Overheat. Unfortunately, Blissey boasts far better damage calcs, so Dudunsparce would need to differentiate itself by it's ability to paralyze through taunt Palafin / Iron Bundle or its ability to phase via Dragon Tail. If your team is already comfortable with setting rocks, paraflinching is on the table.

Physically Defensive
Dudunsparce @ Rocky Helmet / Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 172 Def / 84 Spe
Terra Type: Grass / Water
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Glare
- Boomburst
- Roost
- Stealth Rock / Air Slash / Flamethrower / Earth Power

As a physically defensive mon, Dudunsparce needs to take advantage of the fact that it can paralyze ground types. Glare gives you a consistent paralysis option that even nails ghost types. Uninvested boomburst is stronger than both uninvested Body Slam and Hyper Drill. More importantly, it targets the special defense, which is usually a ground type's weaker side. This means that mons like Garchomp, Quagsire, Hippowdon, and Great Tusk take respectable damage without even risking contact damage. As a bonus, Boomburst also goes through Substitute which is a common answer for Glare.

Once again, if rocks are not needed, you can opt for the myriad of its special moves. Air Slash can be used for the paraflinch combo with the least immunities, Flamethrower hits steels, most notably Balloon Gholdengo and Corviknight, and Earth Power deals with the paralysis immune Iron Thorns and Magnezone. It also handles rock types like Glimmora, with the 20% spdef drop chance synergizing better with Glare and Boomburst.

Speed Evs creep a paralyzed Jolly Garchomp and uninvested base 65s such as Scizor. You can also opt for a little more speed evs to creep a paralyzed Iron Treads, but it will be difficult to make progress against it without SE coverage. Grass as a defensive tera type gives you the coveted ground resist. If you are running rocks, Rattled should be the ability instead as you will have no moves with secondary effects. One Rattled boost gets you 250 speed, which outspeeds Adamant Cetitan and Breloom.

Coil
Dudunsparce-Three-Segment @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 172 SpD / 84 Spe
Tera Type: Dragon
Careful Nature
- Coil
- Body Slam
- Roost
- Dragon Rush

The most dedicated paraflincher you can get. Dragon Rush synergizes with coil's accuracy boost, and unlike Headbutt, it hits rock and ghost types neutrally, and shreds dragon types, all at the cost of doing no damage to fairies, which Body Slam somewhat covers. The optional Dragon tera makes Dragon Rush hit (way) harder than Headbutt when factoring in STAB.

Choice Specs
Dudunsparce @ Choice Specs
Ability: Rattled / Serene Grace
EVs: 20 HP / 252 SpA / 236 Spe
Tera Type: Normal
Modest Nature
- Boomburst
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power
- Shadow Ball / Glare

All out attacker that defines itself as having the 2nd strongest Boomburst available. While Toxtricity has the most powerful Boomburst, Dudunsparce makes it up with it's stellar natural bulk. The rest of its moves are to deal with normal type switch-ins. As damage is the main concern, Rattled may be used over Serene Grace to give you the speed boost from stray U-Turns. The speed evs just need to outpace max neutral base 50s such as Kingambit and Azumarill. However the given speed evs at +1 outspeeds Adamant Garchomp and Jolly Annihilape.

Dedicated Tera Sweeper
Dudunsparce @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Rattled
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Tera Type: Psychic / Dark
Modest Nature
- Boomburst
- Agility
- Stored Power
- Fire Blast

Probably just a gimmick set, but it punishes stray U-Turns with a +2/0/2/0/1 when you terastalize. Dudunsparce can persuade mons like Corviknight and Iron Bundle to U-Turn by threatening big damage or paralysis from its assumed sets. Max speed is needed to hit 522 speed after Rattled+Agility, allowing you to outspeed many common scarfers up to base 108 speed. Psychic Tera gives you a super powerful Stored Power and a resistance to Body Press, but Dark may be used to prevent Sucker Punch from stopping your sweep. Fire Blast is the coverage move of choice, as it threatens Gholdengo, Corviknight, and Kingambit. Calm Mind could be slashed over one of it's coverage, depending on which Tera type you pick.

In the end, Dudunsparce will always face competition as a spdef or physdef wall. So in order to carve a niche for itself, it will need to use its passable offensive tools in tandem with its unrivaled ability to paralyze targets.

I'm gonna do all I can to make him useful. I am not sure he'll ever THRIVE at any of these roles, but since he can kinda manage all of them, it at least makes opponents need to be slightly wary of what is happening, which is probably the best use for him. Thanks for making this.
Also, any use for a Choice Band set similar to the Specs set? The naturally higher attack makes sense on paper but the movepool isn't quite as interesting.

I'm gonna do all I can to make him useful. I am not sure he'll ever THRIVE at any of these roles, but since he can kinda manage all of them, it at least makes opponents need to be slightly wary of what is happening, which is probably the best use for him. Thanks for making this.
Also, any use for a Choice Band set similar to the Specs set? The naturally higher attack makes sense on paper but the movepool isn't quite as interesting.
I can see merit in a powerful body slam. Something like Body Slam / EQ / Ice Spinner / Filler has great neutral coverage. Filler can be hyper drill for stronger stab, or any flinching move like rock slide or Zen.

I favor the instant power from boomburst, but the utility band provides by body slam paras can definitely give it a place.

I think that a much more solid offensive agility set is throat spray tera normal . Boomburst becomes a nuke without relying on a WP boost. Screen support could help massively

I think that a much more solid offensive agility set is throat spray tera normal . Boomburst becomes a nuke without relying on a WP boost. Screen support could help massively
Good point I keep forgetting throat spray is an item. I've tried it out and it is indeed way more reliable than the weakness policy set, but the low offensive stats start to hit home. Here you can opt to run Timid in order to outspeed Pult and scarf gholdengo, but without modest you miss out ohkoing gholdengo with fire blast, as well as a chance to ohko garchomp without terra.

The +2spa/+3spe is deeply missed but for sure throat spray is not gimmicky.

I'm torn on how exactly to run this guy para flinch style. I have these 2 ideas.

Body Slam
Coil
Dragon Rush
Earthquake

or

Body Slam
Bite
EarthQuake
Ice Spinner

Basically I am torn between coil for more damageing bodyslames and hitting dragon rushes, plus earthquake to hit the faires body slam cannot Or a weaker but much more reliable ParaFLinch with Bite, and Ice Spinner for more coverage. Dragon rush is a 40% FLinch chance while Bite is a 60% flinch chance, which means it should happen much more often, but it is weaker. But is also hits Ghost types which is a nice bonus since Body Slam gets walled by that.

Surprised we haven't seen a ParaFlinch set yet:

Item: Leftovers
Nature: Jolly
EVs: (HP 252) (Def/Speed 252)

Moves:
Glare
Headbutt
Bite
Roost

Set Details:
This set is basically a modified version of ParaFlinch Togekiss. Paralyze your foes with Glare to bring down their speed and give that 25% full paralysis chance, and spam Headbutt which becomes a 60% chance flinch move with Serene Grace and is buoyed further thanks to Glare's speed control and paralysis chance. Bite is there so you do not get blocked by Ghost types and it too has a 60% flinch rate with Serene Grace. Finally Roost keeps your HP up. Leftovers grants added recovery and synergizes well with the turns burned when ParaFlinching, and stat distribution goes into HP and speed since even with paralysis there are plenty of threats that can still outspeed you.

It's gimmicky, but it's hilarious when you can annoy and troll your opponent using the biggest joke Pokemon in history.

Moves:
Glare
Headbutt
Bite
Roost

Set Details:
This set is basically a modified version of ParaFlinch Togekiss. Paralyze your foes with Glare to bring down their speed and give that 25% full paralysis chance, and spam Headbutt which becomes a 60% chance flinch move with Serene Grace and is buoyed further thanks to Glare's speed control and paralysis chance. Bite is there so you do not get blocked by Ghost types and it too has a 60% flinch rate with Serene Grace. Finally Roost keeps your HP up. Leftovers grants added recovery and synergizes well with the turns burned when ParaFlinching, and stat distribution goes into HP and speed since even with paralysis there are plenty of threats that can still outspeed you.

It's gimmicky, but it's hilarious when you can annoy and troll your opponent using the biggest joke Pokemon in history.
Coil
Dudunsparce-Three-Segment @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 172 SpD / 84 Spe
Tera Type: Dragon
Careful Nature
- Coil
- Body Slam
- Roost
- Dragon Rush

This is the set i decided to go with; so this is a paraflinching set basically. Body slam for paralysis and dragon rush for flinching. Coil bolsters the accuracy of Dragon Rush as the poster explained.

Moves:
Glare
Headbutt
Bite
Roost

Set Details:

Yeah I guess a simple glare+flinching moves is worth mentioning. After all it is Dunsparce's flagship set. I really like that you opted for max speed since you'd want as many flinching opportunities as possible.

My biggest issue with these kind of sets is the abundance of ghost types in offense (specifically gholdengo) and rocky helmet in stall teams. I admit I didnt realize dragon rush only had a 20% chance to flinch(i did know stab headbutt is stronger than raw drush tho at least drush is backed up by coil boosts), but the reason why I wanted more offense in any paraflinching set is to increase consistency so the opponent has less chances to react or break through hax to heal/setup/ko. Headbutt and Bite are just too weak uninvested for my liking, but I can see it doing well vs balance where there's not too much heavy hitters

Tera Type: Poison
EVs: 156 HP / 252 Atk / 100 SpD
Careful Nature
- Coil
- Roost
- Glare
- Rock Slide

this set works well as a late-game cleaner, when most of the big threats are gone

poison tera gives dudunsparce a much needed resistance to fighting and an immunity to toxic

personally, i find body slam to be quite unreliable for paralysis, 60% is good when using BS primarily for the damage, but dudunsparce really needs the paralysis to reliably set up coil and paraflinch foes, so i find the trade off of doing damage in favour of guaranteed paralysis worth it.

rock slide is guaranteed to hit after a single coil and nothing is immune to it, while headbutt has STAB and 100% accuracy, ghosts are immune to it so i find RS to be more reliable

If there is one Pokémon that haxes the shit out of you it's this thing. It's almost as bad as Jirachi was in the previous generations. Haxing things is pretty much all its good for though. It's bulk doesn't go as far as you think due to the overall power level of many of the Pokémon and lack of resistances. It is pretty versatile/wide movepool and can catch a lot of things off guard but overall not up to par.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)