Dragon Force (My ST6 team)

Introduction
Originally, I came up with this team in the old HO thread. This link will take you to the post I made. Anyways, I wanted to see how effective the Dragon typing really is. So what better way to do so than by spamming a team full of dragon type Pokémon that abuses the move Outrage. I also used this team during my time in the sixth Smogon Tour tournament. This team is mainly a gimmick team, but it did okay when I used it while under an alt.

Central Strategy
When one observes this team, the central strategy should be easy to figure out. Outrage spamming is the key for this team. All that has to be taken out are the checks for physical dragon sweepers. Azelf and Uxie are the supporters for this team by making sweeping easier with screen support and Stealth Rock. Meanwhile, the sweepers pave the path for one of them to finish off the opposing team.

Dragon Force

The Lead/Dual Screen Supporter 1
Azelf @ Light Clay
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP/4 Def/252 Spd
Timid nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Light Screen
- Reflect
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt

This is the lead for my team. I use his Dual Screen set since it is imperative for me to set it up due to my team’s common weaknesses needing to be protected, and Stealth Rock makes it easier for my sweepers to do their job. It also makes for a good sacrifice when fast sleep leads put it in slumber land.
---

Dragon Dancer 1/Lategame sweeper
Salamence @ Life Orb
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 232 Atk/252 Spd/24 SAtk
Naive nature (+Spd, -SDef)
- Dragon Dance
- Earthquake
- Outrage
- Fire Blast

This is the star of the show; the – supposedly - most feared Pokémon in the current OU metagame. He usually appears lategame to clean up the mess that the other pokemon left behind. I elected to use a Naïve nature since it would make it easier to take out Skarmory since my team lacks Magnezone. The other moves should hopefully be self-explanatory due to this team’s central strategy.
---

Dragon Dancer 2/Earlygame sweeper
Kingdra @ Life Orb
Ability: Sniper
EVs: 252 Atk/4 Def/252 Spd
Lonely nature (+Atk, -Def)
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage
- Waterfall
- Substitute

This is usually the first Pokémon to appear right after Azelf dies off. Screens support can make this thing a very bulky beast; and thus, a useful opening sweeper. The only Steel that this king of the seas fears is an emperor – or was it a general – known as Empoleon. The strategy of using him is pretty simple. Just send it in after a kill or a resisted attack and let the mayhem commence. Substitute provides for Status protection and set up time against weaker attacks that can’t break the sub. It also gives me a glance for some possible Dragon checks. I used Life Orb on this since I want to inflict the most damage that I can with it while having the freedom to switch attacks.
---

Revenge Killer/Possible End Game Sweeper
Flygon @ Choice Scarf
Adamant nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Outrage
- U-turn

Here is the oddball of the team. He is the only offensive Pokémon that doesn’t learn Dragon Dance. It is also holding a Choice Scarf instead of a Life Orb. The reason for our bug-eyed Dragon’s placement in this team is as a revenge killer that can still spam the move Outrage. Now you may be wondering why I chose for this Pokémon to have an Adamant nature instead of a Jolly nature if it’s indeed meant to be a revenge killer. The answer is rather simple. Flygon would just be plain to weak if it were Jolly – it’s already weak as it is. Dragon Claw allows me to revenge kill Scarfed Latias with -2 SpA with without getting locked in to Outrage. U-Turn is useful since I can scout for Dragon checks if I were to send this bug like Dragon during the early part of the battle. Earthquake and Outrage provide for STAB.
---

Dragon Dancer 3/Midgame sweeper
Dragonite @ Life Orb
Ability: Inner Focus
Adamant nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Fire Punch

As a bulky Pokémon with screens support, Dragonite makes for a very good sweeper/check to many threats; therefore, it is my midgame sweeper. It can take on hits that would normally kill it off if it weren’t for screens being up; this allows for it to serve as checks for things such as Latias and Scarfed Jirachi. Unfortunately, it usually dies off with the Pokémon he checks right after from either Life Orb recoil or from being revenge killed. If it isn’t checking threats, it is chipping away at the opponent’s team with boosted attack and speed.
---

Dual Screen Supporter 2
Uxie @ Light Clay
EVs: 252 HP/180 Def/76 Spd
Impish nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Light Screen
- Reflect
- Stealth Rock
- Memento

Azelf version 2.0 might as well be its name. It trades its speed for more bulk and loses Taunt in exchange for Memento. Memento is the very reason why I chose Uxie over Bronzong since it allows for my sweepers a free turn to set up. I have Stealth Rocks in the moveset since Azelf doesn’t have the chance to set it up all the time.
---

Closing thoughts
This team may be a gimmick, but it was made in order to take advantage of the aspect of the Dragon type as an offensive move. This team can get by Latias and Skarmory with smart-playing, but Scarfed Jirachi is quite a bitch for this team to handle. This team has to eliminate physical Dragon checks and faster Pokémon in order for it to be successful.

Anyways, please rate.

One issue I see is having 4 Dragons, all weak to Dragon-typed moves, and no Steel type in your team. A Scarfmence, ScarfNite or ScarfLatias, which would be the most common, could end your team without effort, as 4 of them have Outrage and are weak to, you guessed it, Dragon-typed moves.

Putting in a Steel-type like Jirachi or Metagross somewhere in there will help a lot.

To be honest I think I see one weak link here - ScarfFlygon. For hyperoffensive team, which abuses screens I think being locked into one move is not the best idea. I know that you may switch in late-game and just spam Outrage, but I don't like this idea anyway. Something like Aggron switches in and you have one pokemon dead. Something which can take one Outrage and SD/DD up also isn't good news for this team. I think I would go with with standard steel type. I think AgiliGross is perfect choice here - it's bulky as hell behind screens, can take any dragon attack and continue offensive nature of this team. Or this team would love to have strong priority, just in case. SDScizor also may fit here with great resistances and power to abuse. Or even SubCMJirachi is fine choice - bulky, reliable mid-game or late-game finisher and doesn't mind Blissey, which is huge bonus. I guess that's it - in overall it's ok ;).

I'd have to agree with the above comment. If you're looking to abuse dragons, then Latias is one of the most dangerous dragons in the game.

Also, Magnezone would help you out a lot. It could come in and destroy any steels that stand in your way, allowing for you to actually spam Outrage.

if ice sharders are giving you trouble why not use bronzong as a dual screener in place of uxie? its the perfect counter to weavile and mamo

Yep Weavile + Mamoswine , needs a bulky steel as suggested above
Yeah Just change Dragonite and Flygon for like Steel types or something else that can resist Dragon and Fire maybe try Sword dance Scizor and Lucario in the same team it could work out decently and if you just want 1 steel just replace it with Gyarados.

Don't have something in your team that doesn't resist Ice when or dragon because you have nothing on your team that could help.

Good luck.

I'd say if you're going to do a hyperaggressive Dragon-themed team you should go 3x3.

3 Steels and 3 Dragons to support eachother. It's an incredibly good strategy and with the right reads and pokemon/move choices, it's really hard to beat because of all of the resistances and versatility.

if ice sharders are giving you trouble why not use bronzong as a dual screener in place of uxie? its the perfect counter to weavile and mamo
Yeah this sounds good , i cant post no sets cause im on my cell phone , but Bronzong has a great movepool so maybe you could figure a good moveset out yourself =|

I'd second the switch to bronzong, and I'd use the steel killer spread for Magnezone and put him in for Flygon because Flygon seems like a weak link, and Magnezone kills the only dragon resist. Technically you could use Lati as a dual screener too to keep the number of dragons, but without a Mamoswine and Weavile killer you'll get torn up by ice shard.

Keep in mind that the only Pokémon that I'm thinking of replacing is Flygon - it's pretty much been dead weight to my team. Uxie could be replaced if I were given very good reason for it. The other Pokémon are too essential to this team's strategy to be removed. As I said before, Metagross or Scizor would most likely be taking Flygon's spot. Uxie might be replaced by DS Magnezone.

Seven Deadly Sins

~hallelujah~
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Having beaten this team like a drum in ST6, I think I'm uniquely qualified to point out some of its flaws.

For example: Latias completely ruins your shit. If I was running a more offensive Latias, or I had gotten a high damage roll on your Dragonite, it would have dominated your team's life utterly. You have nothing to switch into it. Scarf Latias uses "dragon move" and wins, a Jolly / Naive DDMence wins a speed tie and then outrages you to death, etc.

This team has a fundamental flaw: its main playstyle is completely untenable in a metagame that concentrates so hard on dominating the existence of Dragon-types. However, if I had to make one real change, it'd be Scarf Latias over Scarf Flygon. It gives you a way to beat DDMence without relying on a speed tie, it hits generally harder with Draco Meteor, and you have stuff like Uxie that can take advantage of Blissey to Screen.

Alternately, replace Scarf Flygon with Scarf Jirachi. It gives you much-needed resistances and keeps your revenge killer element.

Other than that, I'd say this proves that you have to use Dragon-types intelligently. This isn't old UU. You can't just make a Hitmonlee / Primeape / Hitmontop / (insert something with a fighting STAB here) team and dominate existences. Sure, Dragons are gay to take down with Screens up, but that's why everyone has 2 or 3 checks to them.

Thanks for the rates so far guys. Currently, I'm sure that I am replacing Flygon with Latias or some Steel-type. Uxie might also be replaced with DS Magnezone so I can have an easier time dealing with Scarf Jirachi and CB Scizor.

@SDS
I remember that old UU warstory with that person running a team full of Fighting-type Pokémon. In fact, that was part of what inspired me to build this team. Thanks for your input.

You could try scizor instead of Scarf Flygon.
It as nice synergies with the dragons (if you do decide on latias, it will really support latias especially against tyranitars). What do you think of replacing latias for flygon and say, Scizor intead of Uxie?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)