Battle Spot [Doubles] Imperium

Pigeons

pidge pidge
is a Tiering Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Imperium:
The power to command or control

Hello Smogon, today I'm featuring a BSD team I've been using lately. I've been sticking more to the Battle Spot Doubles tier mainly because I find most of VGC 2016 to be overwhelming to say the least and it's a tier that I really enjoy. This team is one I'm extremely happy with and has performed very well so far, and I feel like it just "fits" my playstyle. That's not to say there isn't room for improvement, on the contrary, I feel there are definitely some issues with the team and I would very much appreciate any suggestions. Here is the team:

The Team

Teambuilding Process

Mega Gengar was the Pokemon I chose to build around. Shadow Tag offers superb control over my opponent's plays and greatly eases predictions on my end. Unlike Gothitelle, Mega Gengar has a strong matchup against many popular Pokemon, notably Mega Kangaskhan, Mega Gardevoir and Sylveon.

I knew keeping Mega Gengar alive would be key to winning matches, and I knew Wide Guard support would greatly assist me in doing that. I settled on Swampert as my user because it has a good matchup against many Pokemon that would threaten Gengar, such as Landorus-T and Thundurus.

With Gengar's weaknesses mostly covered, I started focusing on Pokemon that could take advantage of trapped opponents while covering Pokemon that neither Gengar or Swampert liked facing. I eventually settled on Entei, who could weaken trapped opponents with Snarl or burns from Sacred Fire while being able to stop Pokemon like Charizard-Y and Amoonguss that threaten Gengar and Swampert.

The weaknesses in the team made the next spot an easy pick, given that I had no answer to bulky Water-types and 2/3 of a FWG core. Naturally a Grass-type fit here, I settled on Ferrothorn for its massive defensive utility and ability to check Rain along with other Water-types.

There weren't too many glaring issues with the 4 Pokemon I had picked, so it was tough to choose a 5th Pokemon. I mainly wanted to address the team's lack of Speed control, but also its weakness to Mega Salamence. Cresselia filled those gaps and also functions as a potent win condition with Calm Mind.

The last spot was also a fairly quick and easy decision. I knew that Intimidate support would be great on this team, especially if the user could frequently pivot in and out against trapped opponents. Landorus fit that description and also solidifies a few other matchups.

Team Breakdown

Trap Queen (Gengar-Mega) @ Gengarite
Ability: Shadow Tag
Level: 50
EVs: 52 HP / 20 Def / 172 SpA / 12 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Bomb
- Will-O-Wisp
- Protect

Mega Gengar is a Pokemon I've really enjoyed using and one that I don't think sees enough usage on non-Perish Trap teams. The ability to prevent switches completely changes the dynamic of the game (in my favour), and outside of that Gengar maintains some utility against popular Pokemon.

The moveset is fairly standard for support Mega Gengar. Shadow Ball hits Aegislash and Cresselia for huge amounts of damage and hits most other Pokemon for neutral damage. Sludge Bomb hits Fairy-types such as Sylveon and Mega Gardevoir for a lot of damage, in addition its higher base power and chance to Poison makes it the best move against neutral targets. Will-O-Wisp lets Gengar counter most Kangaskhan and cripple any other physical attackers it may trap. Protect lets Gengar get the Speed boost from Mega evolution and is obligatory on most VGC Pokemon.

The EVs allow Gengar to survive a -1 Landorus-T Earthquake and a Charizard-Y Heat Wave in the Sun (assuming spread damage for both). Speed is maximized as there is little reason not to and tying with opposing Gengar can be important against Perish Trap. The rest of the EVs are put in Special Attack to increase Gengar's offensive presence.

Luck Fando (Swampert) @ Expert Belt
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 236 HP / 28 Def / 228 SpA / 4 SpD / 12 Spe
Modest Nature
- Scald
- Earth Power
- Ice Beam
- Wide Guard

Swampert gained a lot of popularity after last year's World Championships, and it's easy to see why. I does very well against CHALK type teams, beating the Landorus, Thundurus and Heatran that are on most of those teams. Wide Guard only adds to Swampert's utility, and makes it useful in a wide variety of matchups.

The moves are typical for Swampert. Scald is mostly used for the Burn chance against neutral targets, but has some other niche uses as well (such as hitting Air Balloon Heatran or getting a boost from Torrent). Earth Power hits most relevant Steel-types for a ton of damage and is Swampert's strongest attack. Ice Beam lets Swampert hit Landorus, Thundurus and Salamence for high damage and can get a decent chunk of damage against an Amoonguss in a pinch. Wide Guard protects my team from the prevalent spread moves in the format and puts immense pressure on Choiced Pokemon that use spread moves (suh as Landorus and Sylveon).

This EV spread allows Swampert to survive a Double-Edge from Kangaskhan and be fairly bulky in general, making it easier to switch in on Landorus or Heatran. The Speed outpaces uninvested Tyranitar and gives Swampert a bit of Speed creep against other Swamperts. The rest of the EVs are put into Special Attack. Expert Belt was the ideal item as it allows Swampert to take advantage of its great coverage and Wide Guard without compromising its bulk.

Big Ol' Pupper (Entei) @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 132 HP / 124 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Sacred Fire
- Stone Edge
- Snarl
- Protect

Entei doesn't see a ton of usage, but it's a pretty neat Pokemon. Substitute Heatran was initially considered here, but I found Heatran was too easily beaten by Kangaskhan and Landorus. Entei doesn't beat either of those Pokemon, but it can tank an attack from them and threaten to burn them with Sacred Fire.

Sacred Fire hit Grass-types very hard, and the 50% chance to Burn makes it very spammable against neutral targets (especially ones that rely on physical offence). Stone Edge, when combined with Entei's bulk and typing, makes Entei a great check to the combination of Charizard-Y and Venusaur. Snarl is great against trapped opponents and makes switching Pokemon around much easier on my end and can open up setup chances for Cresselia as well. Protect is fairly obligatory for avoiding double targets and Earthquake from my own Landorus.

The EV spread survives a Kangaskhan Double-Edge and a spread Earthquake from Landorus-T. Speed is maximized so Entei can tie at worst with Kangaskhan and Charizard, meaning it can pressure them with a Sacred Fire burn or Stone Edge before they can attack. The rest is put into Attack so Entei can threaten Amoonguss. Safety Goggles allows Entei to hard counter Amoonguss and also protects it from Venusaur's Sleep Powder when facing Sun.

Free Hugs! (Ferrothorn) @ Lum Berry
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 100 Atk / 84 Def / 72 SpD
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Gyro Ball
- Power Whip
- Leech Seed
- Protect

Ferrothorn is a really solid defensive Pokemon that I've been using a lot lately. Leech Seed lets it stall out most opponents in the late game, and it's also decent offensively thanks to high powered moves and a good attack stat.

Again, this is the moveset Ferrothorn usually runs. Gyro Ball hits Fairy-types very hard and also gets a good hit on faster Pokemon like Kangaskhan and Salamence. Power Whip lets Ferrothorn break down Water-types quickly and is more useful against slower opponents (especially if Cresselia is using Icy Wind). Leech Seed provides Ferrothorn with some recovery while slowly draining the opponent, making it ideal for late game scenarios where Ferrothorn's counters have been removed. Protect is obligatory and lets Ferrothorn take full advantage of Leech Seed recovery.

I decided to run a Ferrothorn with just a bit more bulk than the standard offensive one. This spread survives a Close Combat from Terrakion while still having enough Special Defence to tank attacks from Rain teams. The rest of the EVs were put into Attack, which gives Ferrothorn enough power to threaten even bulkier Fairy and Water typed Pokemon. Lum Berry makes Ferrothorn a great check to Rotom-W and can help check Smeargle.

Moon Duck (Cresselia) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 236 HP / 136 Def / 116 SpA / 20 Spe
Bold Nature
- Psychic
- Icy Wind
- Calm Mind
- Moonlight

Cresselia is a Pokemon I've previously disliked because I found it to be passive, but the Calm Mind set fixes that and still provides utility in the form of Speed control. Once certain Pokemon have been trapped and crippled/KOd by Gengar and teammates, Cresselia often finds it easy to close up games.

Psychic vs. Psyshock was a tough decision, but the meta has been trending towards more physically bulky spreads on Pokemon like Amoonguss to beat Kangaskhan, so I figured I would try and take advantage of that. Icy Wind vs. Ice Beam was also a little tricky, but I figured that I really needed Speed control on the team, and I had could deal with Landorus and Salamence well enough without it. Calm Mind makes Cresselia insanely difficult to take down, even after just 1 boost, and given how easy it is to set up boosts it can quickly get out of control. Moonlight keeps Cresselia healthy and gives it ridiculous staying power, allowing it to check things throughout a match fairly consistently.

I wasn't really specific in terms of benchmarks for Cresselia's EV spread, I don't think it's necessary on a Pokemon so naturally bulky unless you want to calc for double targetting. The EV spread gives Cresselia a lot of physical bulk, but also has a decent bit of Special Attack to be threatening after a smaller number of Calm Minds. I decided I wouldn't run any Special Defence because I'm running Calm Mind (and Entei has Snarl). Rocky Helmet discourages physical attackers from hitting Cresselia and the chip damage lets Cresselia wear down opponents faster.

FlinchFlinchFlinch (Landorus-Therian) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 132 HP / 116 Atk / 28 Def / 4 SpD / 228 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Superpower
- Rock Slide
- Earthquake
- U-turn

Landorus-T fits onto many teams as a solid glue Pokemon, and this one was no exception. It solidifies my matchups against Charizard-Y and Talonflame while providing valuable Intimidate support. Due to solid bulk and U-turn, Landorus can Intimidate trapped opponents multiple times in a match easily.

One last standard set to bore you with. Superpower hits Kangaskhan for a lot of damage, in addition it has similar coverage to Earthquake, meaning it can hit something like a Heatran if the opponent is using Wide Guard. Rock Slide beats Flying-types like Thundurus and Talonflame and the flinch chance can swing a game completely in my favour. Earthquake hits hard with STAB and Landorus's decent Attack stat while getting important coverage against things like Heatran and Aegislash. U-turn is great for shuffling Landorus's Intimidate around against trapped opponents and can net a lot of momentum on a predicted switch.

I wanted the EV spread to take advantage of Landorus's decent mixed defences with an Assault Vest, so I EVd it to tank a +1 Sucker Punch from Bisharp on the physical end, while on the special end it can survive a Charizard-Y Overheat in the sun. The Speed investment makes Landorus faster than Adamant Mega Kangaskhan, with the rest of the EVs in Attack to maximize damage. Assault Vest makes Landorus much more durable and allows it to switch moves, which makes it easier to pivot in and out of opponents whenever I think it's necessary.

Threats

Trick Room: Because I have no real way to prevent Trick Room being set up, I'm always forced to fight the opponent in conditions favourable to them. The matchup isn't impossible, in fact I've found it relatively manageable so far thanks to the teams high bulk (and Gengar can hit most TR setters hard), but it's still a very scary matchup.

Bulky Fighting-types
: Scrafty is the more problematic Pokemon (in my experience) because I have almost no way to hit it hard. Burning it is usually a good option, and Landorus can do a decent amount with Superpower (though Intimidate makes this harder). Conkeldurr is generally easier to wear down (and Cresselia walls it), but burning it isn't an option and it can do a lot more damage to everything than Scrafty.

Bisharp
: Definitely not as big an issue as the other two, but still challenging. Bisharp prevents me from spamming Cresselia's Icy Wind, effectively eliminating my Speed control. Entei, Swampert and Landorus (provided it doesn't activate Defiant) can deal with it but all of them take considerable damage before Bisharp goes down. This might just be a matchup I have to live with, Bisharp hasn't been seeing as much usage anyways.

Importable

Trap Queen (Gengar-Mega) @ Gengarite
Ability: Shadow Tag
EVs: 52 HP / 20 Def / 172 SpA / 12 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Bomb
- Will-O-Wisp
- Protect

Luck Fando (Swampert) @ Expert Belt
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 228 SpA / 4 SpD / 20 Spe
Modest Nature
- Scald
- Earth Power
- Ice Beam
- Wide Guard

Big Ol' Pupper (Entei) @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 132 HP / 124 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Sacred Fire
- Stone Edge
- Snarl
- Protect

Free Hugs! (Ferrothorn) @ Lum Berry
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 100 Atk / 84 Def / 72 SpD
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Gyro Ball
- Power Whip
- Leech Seed
- Protect

Moon Duck (Cresselia) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 236 HP / 136 Def / 116 SpA / 20 Spe
Bold Nature
- Psychic
- Icy Wind
- Calm Mind
- Moonlight

FlinchFlinchFlinch (Landorus-Therian) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 132 HP / 116 Atk / 28 Def / 4 SpD / 228 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Superpower
- Rock Slide
- Earthquake
- U-turn

Conclusion

Thank you for taking the time to read this, it means a lot <3 If you have any ideas for the team please let me know, I'd love to hear them. I'd like to give a shoutout to the entire Smogon community, you guys are really awesome, helpful and fun, and I've greatly improved in a couple tiers since I've been here. I hope you enjoyed reading this, or at least found it interesting. If not...eh.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)