VGC Doubles Double Gimmick Trick + Sun SV VGC

Just wanna start with, I love pokemon.
I have been playing since I was a kid and picked up competitive VGC in gen 5 then started playing smogons singles and doubles come gen 7, this is my first post because I've been having a great time playing again recently and this goofy team is currently 22-8 on ladder and 16-8 in SV VGC
(I JUST got the game after putting it off for so long >_>)

hariyama.gif

Hand Man (Hariyama) @ Flame Orb
Ability: Guts
Level: 50
Tera Type: Psychic
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Fake Out
- Close Combat
- Zen Headbutt
- Wide Guard
Here we have the goofiest Hariyama set I've ever made and its only intention is to guarantee that Farigiraf gets off Trick Room in my standard opener, Fake Out stops most single target big damage moves that would ruin tempo turn 1 otherwise Wide Guard takes care of opposing trick openers like Armarouge that would seek to benefit and sweep off my Trick Room, following trick it will took to lay out damage and die fast so Torkoal may make entry.

farigiraf.gif

Garafarig (Farigiraf) (F) @ Mental Herb
Ability: Armor Tail
Tera Type: Fairy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Trick Room
- Dazzling Gleam
- Hyper Voice
- Calm Mind
Next we have the queen herself, possibly my favorite trick setter of all time MAYBE tied with Uxie.
Armor Tail + Mental Herb means that short of a turn one death absolutely nothing will stop her from placing Trick Room and with Calm Mind she can take advantage of the turn 2 Hariyama damage if she herself does not need to place damage on the field.

torkoal.gif

Tortoal (Torkoal) @ Life Orb
Ability: Drought
Level: 49
Tera Type: Water
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Protect
- Eruption
- Earth Power
- Heat Wave
Here is the long standing king of Trick Room himself with his Sun + Eruption STAB spam, fairly standard set with a cheesy lvl49 to under speed other Torkoal users should I happen across them.
Not much else to say here.
He cute ^~^

988.png

Mothron (Slither Wing) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Protosynthesis
Tera Type: Ghost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Close Combat
- Wild Charge
- U-turn
Here comes the boiiiiiiiii, hellooooo boi... Mothron here is a throwback to my gen 7 rain team in which I ran a suicide lead Entei for a cheesy counter open option and Mothron fulfills that role here too. In the event that the enemy team is running a weather team or hyper aggro and I know they're going to contest Sun / Trick Room I will typically open with Torkoal Mothron and then swap Torkoal while Mothron makes an effort to take an enemy pokemon down with it so I have peak tempo turn 2.
Plus like look at em, he a baby boi UwU

mimikyu.gif

Pikechu (Mimikyu) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Disguise
Shiny: Yes
Tera Type: Grass
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Trick Room
- Shadow Sneak
- Wood Hammer
- Play Rough
Secondary trick setter with a whack ass set designed to help setup Trick Room in Sun openers or reset Trick Room in the event that plan A doesn't go well, then get a pick / lay out damage as best he can; have been questioning removing Boots for a Chesto Berry but haven't made the jump yet. I always take him as one of my four mons no matter what because he's just so consistent with what he does and the damage always throws people off because they think its a pure util bulk set.

ting-lu.png

Bowl Head (Ting-Lu) @ Leftovers
Ability: Vessel of Ruin
Tera Type: Water
EVs: 172 HP / 84 Atk / 252 Def
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Ruination
- Stomping Tantrum
- Protect
And finally the newest addition having replaced my previous standard bulk up Corviknight, I wasn't impressed with Corviknights performance since the new regulation began and swapped him out for Ting-lu to fit the same roll. This bad boi can fit so much damage in em, Ruination is a great consistent damaging option in the event that it comes down to him and Mimikyu while also happening to underspeed even the slowest of Armarouge.

All in all I enjoy designing and playing off meta / counter meta / gimmick teams made to be both fun and have a lot of options.
Plus its always a blast trying to fit your favorite mons into something playable ^~^

Last edited:
Why are you using :Hariyama: when there's :Iron Hands:? Also, I love to see :slither wing: but I think :ogerpon-hearthflame: just works better. Finally, you could replace :ting-Lu: with :Ursaluna: or :Ursaluna-Bloodmoon:, as they just do more damage. This was kind of quick, I’ll probably post some sets later.

Why are you using :Hariyama: when there's :Iron Hands:? Also, I love to see :slither wing: but I think :ogerpon-hearthflame: just works better. Finally, you could replace :ting-Lu: with :Ursaluna: or :Ursaluna-Bloodmoon:, as they just do more damage. This was kind of quick, I’ll probably post some sets later.
I am using Hariyama over Iron Hands just for wide guard as I found it to be more consistent and having 3 attackers in either direction (Even tho Mimikyu is basically a physical attacker) on my team was too much so I didn't feel Ursaluna or Blood Moon would be a good fit (Farig - Torkoal = special / Hariyama - Slitherwing - Mimikyu = physical), finally Slither Wing is non negotiable :blobtriumph: but fr his only goal is to grab a pick in bad matchups and then die so I can play my archetype, replacing Slither Wing with a better mon would ruin that gimmick suicide open style and throw off tempo as I NEED it to die turn one for the rest of my team to function.

Last edited:
Hariyama is 0 speed iv, so should be brave not adamant. Is Mimi ok full spe iv? As a setter couldn't it be Brave 0? I'm not sure though, never ran tr really

Hariyama is 0 speed iv, so should be brave not adamant. Is Mimi ok full spe iv? As a setter couldn't it be Brave 0? I'm not sure though, never ran tr really
I put it full speed so I could kill things like iron hands outside of trick room, its a weird set I know and I didnt even notice my nature on Hariyama was wrong thank you ^~^

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)