Do you think Video Games are art?

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Personally, I, someone who does not play video games, do not regard that as "artistic" on a personal level.
But you don't have an informed opinion.

RheaJ said:
One may not be inclined to compare video games with works of "high art" such as Botticelli's Birth of Venus or Michelangelo's Creation of Adam,
I do. In fact, in another thread I listed various examples of what I saw as high art and I didn't list a painting. I honestly don't an informed opinion when it comes to paintings. But I know video games, and I could list so many examples of game I can consider high art. Whether its based on the aesthetic art value (Shadow of the Colossus, Ocarina of Time, Street Fighter Alpha 2, Symphony of the Night, Okami), the art of immersion in a concept (Dead Rising, Oregon Trail 2, Skies of Arcadia, Deus Ex, Last Revelation, San Andreas, Nemesis, Metroid Fusion), the art of expression (KOTOR, various Final Fantasies, Metal Gear Solid, King's Quest 6, Pheonix Wright, Okami), or just plain old art in game design (Kotor, Dead Rising, Shadow of the Colossus, Bayonetta, Chrono Trigger, Ape Escape, Final Fantasy 10, Metroid Prime, Super Smash Brothers Melee, The Sim 3, Ocarina of Time, Half Life 2, Red Dead Redemption, Metal Gear Solid 3, Devil May Cry, God of War, RESIDENT EVIL 4). And that's small list.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)