SS OU DLC trick room

Hello, after seeing alonan marowak return, I wanted to build a team around one of my favorite play styles, trick room.

Marowak-Alola @ Thick Club
Ability: Rock Head
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Poltergeist
- Flare Blitz
- Swords Dance
- Bonemerang

Magearna @ Leftovers
Ability: Soul-Heart
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Trick Room
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Focus Blast

Slowbro @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Slack Off
- Scald
- Teleport
- Trick Room

Crawdaunt @ Life Orb
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Crabhammer
- Knock Off
- Aqua Jet
- Swords Dance

Slowking @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Slack Off
- Trick Room
- Teleport
- Scald

Excadrill @ Focus Sash
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Iron Head

Excadrill: This is my suicide lead, meant to start the game off with an advantage, and it does that most of the time. With mold breaker stealth rock plus speed boosting rapid spin, it is almost guaranteed to get hazard off your side, and on thiers. Though the main issue I have with it is that it does not provide any lasting benefits when the team as a whole is relatively slow paced.

Slowbro/Slowking: These are my trick room setters, and are damn good ones at that. The combination of bulk, regenerator, and teleport, I provides clean entry for my abusers to do damage, and get them into an advantageous position which can possibly allow one of them to grab a swords dance. The main issue I have with them is that the do not provide much utility outside of thier trick room setting and pivoting, say hazard removal. There pin pointable weaknesses due to thier typing guarantees you'll be boned by certain mons, such as volcarona, dark types, and set up mons that can break through it such as nasty plot alakazam.

Marowak: This mon hits really hard, thats about it. But that one pro to a whole lot of cons. One issue is it's weakness to knock off, which my trick setters are also weak too, so it does not pair that well. Poltergeist is a move I wanted to put on marowak because of it's power, but then it would make me have to run crunch on crawdaunt to avoid complications. Its stealth rock weakness is also exacerbated because it can not run the new heavy-duty boots. Even with all those cons, I would still keep it on the team if I could, because it synergizes with my other abuser well, crawdaunt is weak to grass, fiary, and fighting types, which marowak destroys.

Crawdaunt: This mon is slightly more capable of hitting hard, with it's access to priority in aqua jet. Though there are con to this mon as well. It's reliance on life orb make it's longevity an issue similar to marowak's stealth rock weakness, so black glasses or mystical water are viable options. It also wants to run knock off to cripple defensive pokemon that might switch into it like tangrowth, but that forces marowak alola to run shadow bone, which isnt that low of a power drop, but worth noting. It also synergizes well with magearna, because she hates fire, and ground types, which crawdaunt destroys.

Magearna: This abuser is the most self sufficient of the abusers on my team, thanks to it's significantly higher bulk compared to its comrades. This is also coupled with its ability soul heart, which cleans up weakened squads like nothing else. The item and moves are up for debate, but I thought leftovers helps with 's longevity, in that it will be setting its own trick room, rather then relying on the slowtwins to do that. Its bolt beam blast coverage also allows it to hit every pokemon in the metagame for at least neutral damage.

That is my team, I must admit that slowking and excadril are the weakest link in this team, so replacements would be much appreciated.

I also wanted to post a RMT on Trick Room, so i have 2 suggestions. Slowking in this team just killed my eyes.
the 2nd : put rocky helmet on slowbro, way better since lots of poke will want to u-turn on it.

For the rest i don't like excadrill in TR teams, and sd marowak (better with rocks imo) but it's up to you. Maybe Conkeldurr defog instead of exca ?
also magearna is strong but it lacks a bit of power without z moves. I prefer Hatterenne with magic bounce, but here in this team you would be too weak to urshifou.

:sm/slowking: --> :sm/porygon2:

even if you have crawdaunt (which has very bad spe def), you are very weak to ghost and porygon2 has exactly the same moves than slowking with foul play instead of scald. porygon2 with trace is very strong in this meta with all regenerators coming back. funny thing, it traces dragapult infiltratror making it a total counter of sub dragapult.
Against volcarona, he can can come on quiver dance, and trick room teleport on marowak who OHKO volca with poltergeist or flare blitz.

Porygon2 @ Eviolite
Ability: Trace
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Trick Room
- Foul Play
- Recover
- Teleport

Last edited:
I also wanted to post a RMT on Trick Room, so i have 2 suggestions. Slowking in this team just killed my eyes.
the 2nd : put rocky helmet on slowbro, way better since lots of poke will want to u-turn on it.

For the rest i don't like excadrill in TR teams, and sd marowak (better with rocks imo) but it's up to you. Maybe Conkeldurr defog instead of exca ?
also magearna is strong but it lacks a bit of power without z moves. I prefer Hatterenne with magic bounce, but here in this team you would be too weak to urshifou.

:sm/slowking: --> :sm/porygon2:

even if you have crawdaunt (which has very bad spe def), you are very weak to ghost and porygon2 has exactly the same moves than slowking with foul play instead of scald. porygon2 with trace is very strong in this meta with all regenerators coming back. funny thing, it traces dragapult infiltratror making it a total counter of sub dragapult.
Against volcarona, he can can come on quiver dance, and trick room teleport on marowak who OHKO volca with poltergeist or flare blitz.

Porygon2 @ Eviolite
Ability: Trace
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Trick Room
- Foul Play
- Recover
- Teleport
Thank you for your help, Though through thorough testing (say that 3 times fast) I have come to find that urshifu destroys this team(along with many others), conkeldurr kind of mediates this, but it is far from full proof, so any suggestions would be welcomed, or i'll just wait til it gets banned

Body press Slowbro at least lets you smack it under TR. Colbur Berry lets you survive it once. The actual answer is that you have to give up a TR setter and run something faster than 97 speed. Full TR teams will always be weak to wall breakers even if Urshifu gets axed.

I’d also argue Brick Break is the best third move on Marowak, as it can one shot Tyranitar, and is able to hit Hydregoin and Thick Fat Snorlax super effectively (and OHKO after SR damage). Also nails Crawdaunt SE on the switch in and gives Marowak utility against screens.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)