Diablo III

Age of Kings

of the Ash Legion
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Didn't see a thread for it. Launches at 12:01am PST tonight, while it's already up in Europe, Asia, and Australia. Anyone else have it or planning on getting it or are fortunate enough to already be playing it?

I'm probably going for a barbarian or a monk. I have not played the beta so I'm not really familiar with their playstyles but those two seem the most interesting from videos and such.

Meh I still have 1 major complaint against it (and no it's not the real money AH); I really dislike the fact it requires you to have an online connection to play, even for single player (I am not that big of a multiplayer guy, and the bit I do do is with friends, not randoms). So eh, I might eventually get it if bored, but not for $60 ever.

matty

I did stuff a long time ago for the site
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Ya, I'm planning on it. If you want to party it up let me know. I'm gonna build a Demonhunter

It's up in parts of Asia and Europe. Australia/NZ are unfortunately forced into the Americas region so we don't get to play until 5/7pm respectively. Kinda sucks! Anyway, probably going to be playing a WD, can't wait for snake in the face darts.

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Meh I still have 1 major complaint against it (and no it's not the real money AH); I really dislike the fact it requires you to have an online connection to play, even for single player (I am not that big of a multiplayer guy, and the bit I do do is with friends, not randoms). So eh, I might eventually get it if bored, but not for $60 ever.
I personally would prefer to play online anyway, even for single-player, as it does allow you to group and trade and stuff if and when you ever feel like doing it. The perfectionist powergamer in me requires me to be able to at least trade my trash for another man's treasure and build the "perfect" character, even if I'm just soloing everything else. Where I agree is mostly in that the offline single-player is kinda nice for, you know, when you don't have an internet connection. It also means the game will be functionally dead in X years down the road when Blizzard's servers are taken offline, or at least forces the trouble of finding/setting up a private server to play.

This was supposed to be the first game I paid for retail price for since Brawl in 2008. Unfortunately, since I lost my job at the end of March, that ain't happening. :kongler: That said, Xenoblade was localized and I bought that instead so hooray I still purchased something! I figure it'll take me a month-ish to play through that and Skyward Sword, then I can pick this up over the summer. Hopefully some of the most egregious opening-week bugs are patched by then and I won't have missed too much of the action... unlike when I let Synre talk me into playing WoW nine months after release and spent the remaining four years of my in-game career paying the price. :/ But Diablo isn't an MMO anyway so whatever.

I haven't actually paid much attention to the development and whatnot, what's up with real-money auction house now? And I hear Witch Doctor is the go-to hipster class that nobody is very excited about to play. :P Which seems weird to me, D2 Necromancer is really strong and that is its closest analog. I've never been a fan of Barbarian but I hope there's nothing ultra-douchebaggy like Chaos Sanctuary OKs casting Iron Maiden on you that make it ball-bustingly frustrating to play any particular class through the entirety of PvE.

Eiganjo

So who did buy all the stroopwafels?
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Ill pick up a copy at the gamestore, I pre-ordered it so no worries there I suppose.
Starting a Witch Doctor because I like it. and because of zombies and voodoostuff :D

60€ for a not needed Diablo sequel that pretends to be some kind of WoW and focuses much more in real money benefits?
Static leveling up system for all characters without skill and stat choices?
Unable to mod. the game at all?

Nothing to do here, back to Starcraft IIº

or TitanQuest. Man, is that an awesome Hack n' Slash.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
You know a great side effect to Diablo 3 being finally released? Pretty soon those sentiments are going to be drowned out in the sheer wave of ecstasy riding across the human collective conscience until culminating in an orgasmic explosion of universal praise. And that's not hype, the beta has given pretty much total transparency as to what we can expect and it is all good.

Diablo 2 came out 12 years ago. Since then there have been improvements within even Diablo's own small subgenre, but more importantly major advancements in western RPGs in general and yes that includes World of Warcraft. Every Bioware game Knights of the Old Republic and after, every Bethesda game Morrowind and after, even Dota were all good resources to pull from and it's pretty easy to imagine they were used. God if only Diablo 2 had ability cooldowns, or any reason not to spam the same Frozen orb spell on a Sorceress (insert same situation with different class).

My question to people who complain about static leveling is this; do they just not know what a dead level is? Do they not understand this aspect of RPGs in general? Cause dead levels (level ups where you get nothing but slight statistical upgrades) are a very bad thing. In Diablo 3 you have new fun things to do at every level at every stage of your progression through Hell difficulty right up to the level cap, and this is only a good thing. In fact for 60 levels and 5 characters it is god damn beautiful. Your character is what you do with it and a character's identity is diminished purely in your imagination.

EDIT: And let's face it, there is no way classic RPG gamers should be able to hate this. Cause I just opened the box, and it came with a gigantic notepad. Like, wow. If you've ever played Ultima Underworld or old games like it, you know what that is all about.

They might as well have had Bashiok sign each notepad with "Classic gamers, you haven't been forgotten :) " This is so much cooler than anything in the Collector's Edition.

monkfish

what are birds? we just don't know.
is a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
im playing right now on europe server. how do i add friends my battletag is monkfish#2931

Convinced myself I didn't need another game and that money's too tight at the moment.

but then I caved and bought it. Gonna be installing at lunch so I can hopefully start playing this evening. Here's to clear login servers yeah?

Fuck sake i get home after leaving it on 13% and it's still on 13%. Looks like I won't be playing it today.

LonelyNess

Makin' PK Love
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Finally connected to the servers (seriously Blizzard who forces people to connect to battle.net to play a single player game and then doesn't have their shit together when launch comes) about 3 hours ago and got to actually start playing...

Fucking amazing is all I have to say.

Playing as a Barbarian... something about running in, ground pounding the shit out of everything while they sit stunned, and then cleaving in front of me with my huge axe just can't be beaten. I'm sure the other classes are great too but I'm having a blast just going hero mode and beasting through everything.

monkfish

im also playing as barbarian, primarily because i wanted to get used to the game and "smash things" seems like the simplest way of playing. past act 1 now

Barbarian is definitely the way to go. If you like smashing monsters in half in under 5 seconds flat, that is. Played one during the Beta, and my god..is it powerful. Shame i can't play live till i get a computer that can actually play it, since i doubt i could put D3 on the family laptop. That's probably a blessing in disguise tbh, seeing as i've heard the servers are kinda crowded.

natalie

property of alex
Monk all the way! I was ready and downloaded with my CE last night, but of course the inevitable ensues and I couldn't log in after two hours of trying. Today I haven't been able to play it due to work.. and of course, EU login servers are down when I get home -_-
off to the americas! natalie#2686

Downloading this on a whim, never played a Blizzard game and don't know anything about this one. I'll probably be starting with Witch Doctor. Jonk#1272

monkfish

at level 23 now, just found my first legendary (unique) item. still enjoying the game but getting bored of singleplayer - though i promised myself i would run through the whole campaign before branching out

first impressions when compared to diablo 2:
+ lots of streamlining of the mundane bullshit like buying town portals and identifying items
+ rewards for brutalising enemies as quickly as possible
+ every level-up is rewarded with new skills
+ crafting system actually useful (at least, early game)
+ new mana replacement system works v well: skills are actually usable at low levels !!!
+ six active usable skills at a time instead of two
+ followers and npcs in general are a lot more engaging
+ stats screen is a lot more detailed and accurate (damage is given with regard to attack speed, critical chance etc)

- you have to be online (idk this isnt much of a problem is it??? i only play online anyway)
- no instant skill or weapon swaps feels kind of limiting

EDIT act 2 boss fight is hella awesome (ill say no more)

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
The crafting system is actually useful in Diablo 2, it's just difficult to understand and actually get something useful out of it. Crafted gloves in particular are best-in-slot for most basic attackers (all Amazons and certain builds of every other class), if you could get the right ones. And I dunno how far you want to extend the meaning of the word "crafting" but grabbing a socketed weapon and sticking a bunch of poison gems in it tends to be your best choice of a weapon early on unless you twink.

Atlas

I'm the Mary!
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnus
welp, got the 15 minute shut down when i was entered king leroics tomb. o hells no i said, this bitch is going down now. so i book it down the levels, cursing after every dead end ran into but finally made it to him and beat him with 30 seconds to spare :) then a cellar opened up to finish the quest and i didnt get to it in time :( gonna have to do it all over again.

Getting slowed down pretty hard by server outages and afks and such but slept until 10:30 or so to avoid the initial burst of server implosions and started playing with Cathadora and gene (and later alex). Didn't get as far as I'd have liked to have -- Cath is like 24 and gene and I are like 17 since we slept and he didn't (though he did play an alt a bit) -- but having a lot more fun than I expected I would for the most part when everyone in the party is of similar level. Pretty enjoyable so far. Playing wizard.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)