EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Fire Blast
- Trick / Switcheroo
- Psychic /
Psyshock
- Shadow Ball

This could be used either as a wallbreaker or a revenge killer, depending on the item. Fire Blast and Psychic are STAB options, and shadow ball gives it wide coverage. Trick and switcher are the same, and they both cripple walls. Psyshock is an alternate to hit special walls harder

SUBSTITUTE + PETAYA BERRY

Delphox @ Petaya Berry
Ability: Blaze
Tera Type: Fire
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Substitute
- Psychic
- Shadow Ball

This set focuses on spamming substitute until both blaze and the berry activate, allowing delphox to deal massive damage

Terastralization Potential
-Fire and Psychic: Both boost its stab options
-Ghost: This powers up shadow ball
-Dark / Grass: Defensive options.

IMO I think the way to capitalize on Delphox is through its newly found access to Nasty Plot. Decently fast and powerful with alright coverage, akin to a Salazzle that can get in a bit easier. I don't see it having much OU success though, power level's too high and things like Heatran, Lando, and w/e else hurt it a lot.

I see this Mon as a worse (but less ugly) Armarouge in Psychic Terrain, but better outside of it. Wish sets could be explored, since it has some very nice resistances (most Iron Valiant moves for example) and not bad special bulk.
I have never heard anyone say Armarouge is ugly. At worst just slightly weaker than Ceruledge in terms of design. This has nothing to do with competitive discussion but this got a big enough reaction out of me to comment.

both are good looking in their own right!!

anyway, like Melons-N-Soda said, i feel like delphox being a fast nasty plotting fire type is its claim to fame, but it faces a LOT of competition from other fire attackers (iron moth, ceruledge, volc, etc.) and special attackers in general. i can't see it staying in OU at all, but i can see it being a fun option there.

I have been having good success with Delphox, it turns out the new moves it got were enough to make it pretty potent! Nasty Plot makes it very potent against fat cores, and Focus Blast is the coverage option it always wanted.
:delphox:
Delphox @ Air Balloon
Ability: Magician
Tera Type: Fire / Psychic
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Flamethrower
- Psychic
- Focus Blast

Here’s the set I’ve been rolling with. Air Balloon gives you more initiative against the many threats running Ground moves and the Spikes that are everywhere, but mainly it lets you fuck around with Magician which is fun. Blaze + Boots is maybe more viable though. Compared to Iron Moth and Volcarona, Delphox eliminates Heatran easily without needing to Tera thanks to Focus Blast, so you can opt to power up a STAB instead. Focus Blast handles a lot of other threats too, taking out H-Samurott and dealing heavy damage to Ting-Lu, Garganacl, H-Goodra and Ursaluna. The Psychic typing helps against Toxapex and Clodsire in general, and being a mon that resists Stored Power + Draining Kiss Magearna is nice too. One other move I haven’t tried yet is Grass Knot, which should handle Dondozo and most of the grounds better, but I expect that Heatran would be too big of a target to ignore.

i think Delphox could end up a solid breaker as things settle, as it has a pretty good counter-argument to most things slower than it, usually a +2 Tera Fire Flamethrower. The fast-paced meta we currently have just barrels over it, but I think it will get its time eventually.

Now that I realize it, like Hoopa-U, Delphox can use Magician with Overheat + Eject Pack (or White Herb) to steal items. Heatran is a problem however.

Now that I realize it, like Hoopa-U, Delphox can use Magician with Overheat + Eject Pack (or White Herb) to steal items. Heatran is a problem however.
Here’s a fun meme set: this also works with Power Herb + Solar Beam in a single turn since your item gets consumed before the “second half” of the move fires off. Would be more relevant if base Slowking wasn’t so rare compared to its Galarian counterpart rn. Maybe worth exploring if Fini ever comes back.

Here’s a fun meme set: this also works with Power Herb + Solar Beam in a single turn since your item gets consumed before the “second half” of the move fires off. Would be more relevant if base Slowking wasn’t so rare compared to its Galarian counterpart rn. Maybe worth exploring if Fini ever comes back.
I consider Johto Slowking way better than Galarian one, but you are right. Another common Mon you can catch with this would be Rotom-W, since he resists Fire Moves, takes 0 from Grass Knot and can live a couple of Psychics too.

Afraid to say this is not how the interaction works in game. Just tested it after you got me interested. Shame too, would be neat if Delphox had *two* weird magician sets that aren't actually very good at all a la that old solar beam meme.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)