Darkrai: Just hear me out.

jrrrrrrr

wubwubwub
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
For the Darkrai that don't carry Psychic (I assume Dark Void, Dark Pulse, Substitute, Calm Mind) what's stopping someone from carrying a more defensive minded Heracross? A Heracross with Megahorn, Close Combat, Stone Edge and Sleep Talk, or perhaps a previously status'd Heracross like the one used to beat Gliscor could do a lot to keep Darkrai from getting into position. The user of this Heracross could use it as a backup sweeper for whatever strategy s/he might have.
If you want to keep switching your Heracross into STAB Dark Pulses from 135 Base SpAtk while you take residual damage from a potential Burn Orb, Stealth Rock, Spikes, Sand Stream/Snow Warning and Toxic Spikes, be my guest. This is another pokemon: "sure I can do the job, but don't look at me the second time you need a switch-in" argument.

Life Orb Dark Pulse from Timid/Naive Darkrai does 30.90-36.21% to 0/0 neutral Heracross, so assuming SR is down even then you switch in to no more than 48.96%. Even adding in burn damage, 61.21%. You need either Modest Darkrai or weather to make a potential chance for a chance at KOing, and that's assuming Heracross isn't Scarf'd. That's if EVERYTHING is in favor of Darkrai.

If everything's in favor of Heracross, he has a Scarf and switches in to 30% damage and can easily OHKO with either Megahorn or Close Combat. Lots of counters look terrible when you make the attacker in the most beneficial position.

jrrrrrrr

wubwubwub
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
The attacker is always in the most beneficial position. Heracross has to switch into damage or status and you are always putting yourself at risk when you switch in, especially to crits etc. "Heracross only takes 33% avg from Darkrai" is not a good argument when you think for 2 seconds and realize that this is a 3hko.

Also, you need to understand that Darkrai can easily just switch out of Heracross, who has several very solid counters even in OU, with almost no risk to itself since it resists Hera's non-STAB Pursuit.

This isn't about the uber metagame. There are things currently in OU that can function in the Uber metagame, such as Blissey, Metagross, and Jirachi. In other words, if it doesn't imbalance the OU metagame, there is no reason not to allow it in the OU metagame, regardless of how it functions in Ubers.
You speak as if Ubers ONLY includes the 15-someodd Pokémon that aren't allowed in the lower tiers. We already are free to use OU Pokémon to counter Darkrai in Ubers in addition to the other Ubers, and we still have a hard time doing it. What makes you think that taking the strongest fighters out of the picture will somehow make Darkrai WEAKER?

If you want to keep switching your Heracross into STAB Dark Pulses from 135 Base SpAtk while you take residual damage from a potential Burn Orb, Stealth Rock, Spikes, Sand Stream/Snow Warning and Toxic Spikes, be my guest. This is another pokemon: "sure I can do the job, but don't look at me the second time you need a switch-in" argument.
If your opponent has managed to set that much up against you already, then I think you have already lost that battle. Darkrai isn't the one setting up the Toxic Spikes, Spikes, Stealth Rock and Sandstream, not to mention that Toxic Spikes plays AGAINST Darkrai by rendering his Dark Void useless against non-flying/Levitate targets, and Sandstorm/Hail is hitting Darkrai as well.

Well assuming Heracross is "defensively minded" (by this I'm saying 252/0/0 and leftovers or something), the damage drops to 25.55-29.95%, which really isn't too bad. If Darkrai switches out, something gets smacked with either Megahorn or CC (or any unpredictable one of those if Darkrai sleeps Hera). This is still pure theorymon and could go on forever, so it's really not the kind of discussion that will prove Darkrai uber or not.

While I agree with your general point, the Lati@s comparison doesn't make sense. The two are not only twins in looks or availability in the games, they are also the same Pokemon except for a few very subtle differences. To ban one to uber while the other gets allowed in OU would be like saying "alright, one of them is above the line, and the other one is under it".
Actually, we have done this in advance before:

Vileplume was in UU, Bellosom, in NU. Only differences were the special attack/special defense switch and Aromatherapy (and the stone they evolved with, but that doesn't matter). I actually think that the Latis stat differences ARE enough for them to be considered different pokes. 20 base sdef/satk (I think) and 10 base def can make all the difference against Pursuit Metagross or something like that.

jrrrrrrr

wubwubwub
If your opponent has managed to set that much up against you already, then I think you have already lost that battle. Darkrai isn't the one setting up the Toxic Spikes, Spikes, Stealth Rock and Sandstream, not to mention that Toxic Spikes plays AGAINST Darkrai by rendering his Dark Void useless against non-flying/Levitate targets, and Sandstorm/Hail is hitting Darkrai as well.
I know this. Hence the word "potential" before I listed all of those things. Instead of picking random sentences out of my post to pick on, why don't you try understanding the meaning of the post in its entirety, which is the point of making entire posts and not just sentence fragments.

Even if the residual damage inducers aren't there, Heracross can come in twice, maximum against Darkrai before it has to resort to revenge killing (and even then, thats assuming Darkrai isn't using Psychic, Ice Beam, or any other move that Hera doesn't resist and that Heracross has a Choice Scarf). Again, this is going back to saying scarfGengar is a Starmie counter, the analogy that I thought was common sense if youve ever played pokemon.

I know this. Hence the word "potential" before I listed all of those things. Instead of picking random sentences out of my post to pick on, why don't you try understanding the meaning of the post in its entirety, which is the point of making entire posts and not just sentence fragments.

Even if the residual damage inducers aren't there, Heracross can come in twice, maximum against Darkrai before it has to resort to revenge killing (and even then, thats assuming Darkrai isn't using Psychic, Ice Beam, or any other move that Hera doesn't resist and that Heracross has a Choice Scarf). Again, this is going back to saying scarfGengar is a Starmie counter, the analogy that I thought was common sense if youve ever played pokemon.
And my point was that there are Pokemon that can be adapted to suit whatever the situation is. Likewise, depending on the situation for the attacker, certain Pokemon won't work. Anyways, if Darkrai is being forced to switch, then you can pick at with through residual damage, and if Darkrai is fleeing, it's not attacking and thus not accomplishing anything.

And I never said Scarf Gengar was a Starmie counter. In fact, I never mentioned the Choice Scarf at all.

Again, I specifically stated that Heracross could be useful for Darkrai that don't carry psychic. If Darkrai is carrying psychic, then it's not carrying a different move, and thus it can be handled in a different way.

JabbaTheGriffin

Stormblessed
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
And my point was that there are Pokemon that can be adapted to suit whatever the situation is. Likewise, depending on the situation for the attacker, certain Pokemon won't work. Anyways, if Darkrai is being forced to switch, then you can pick at with through residual damage, and if Darkrai is fleeing, it's not attacking and thus not accomplishing anything.

And I never said Scarf Gengar was a Starmie counter. In fact, I never mentioned the Choice Scarf at all.

Again, I specifically stated that Heracross could be useful for Darkrai that don't carry psychic. If Darkrai is carrying psychic, then it's not carrying a different move, and thus it can be handled in a different way.
Have you even been reading his posts? He never said that you were the one that mentioned Scarf Gengar was a Starmie counter, it was simply an analogy he used earlier in the topic, and it's a pretty relevant one at that

Forcing a Pokemon to switch out while both taking unrecoverable damage and dealing none is in no way countering a pokemon. Now Resttalk Heracross, that would be a Darkrai counter, but definitely not Scarfcross.

Vileplume was in UU, Bellosom, in NU. Only differences were the special attack/special defense switch and Aromatherapy (and the stone they evolved with, but that doesn't matter). I actually think that the Latis stat differences ARE enough for them to be considered different pokes. 20 base sdef/satk (I think) and 10 base def can make all the difference against Pursuit Metagross or something like that.
You forgot the part Poison, which is definitely crucial. ADV also didn't really have defined NU tiers (on whether it was by usage or power - generally I'm leaning towards power though). I'd personally say both were UU, so no double standards there for me.

The fact that Uber <-> OU is a much more heated debate than UU <-> NU makes the former much more analyzed. If they were looked at equally often, there would have been questions about why the Goddish flowers were seperated by an entire tier.

If you want to keep switching your Heracross into STAB Dark Pulses from 135 Base SpAtk while you take residual damage from a potential Burn Orb, Stealth Rock, Spikes, Sand Stream/Snow Warning and Toxic Spikes, be my guest.
I can't take damage from both burn and poison, so yeah, no Toxic Spikes or no Burn Orb.

Poor Heracross has plenty to deal with when he only has one status, but as mentioned, Darkrai isn't the one setting all of these up. A lot of stuff can say "wow, do I ever hurt stuff when all kinds of field hazards are down" since those alone do a shitload of damage.

Ancien Régime

washed gay RSE player
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I still don't understand how Bad Dreams makes Darkrai any better or worse. At best, it's 12% damage when it sleeps something, and if you're trying to keep that sleeping pokemon in, you have bigger problems.

It is an accurate sleep move that effectively makes the game start with a 6-5 advantage for the Darkrai user.

Its got a high accuracy sleep move, and %12 is alot of damage over time. Since Darkrai doesn't have mewtwo's special attack it makes it easier to kill things. I dont know if this helps, just trying to contribute.

EDIT: Didn't see that post there Kira. I didn't want to seem like just a mimic.

It is an accurate sleep move that effectively makes the game start with a 6-5 advantage for the Darkrai user.
Gengar, Roserade, Crobat.....any starting sleep inducer ring a bell.

And also those mentioning Psychic on Darkrai to deal with fighting types, sure it's going to help deal with those, but then you open up another list of things that can possibly switch into Darkrai with that set like Togekiss, Zapdos or even Jirachi and Bronzong as examples. Either way no matter what set Darkrai runs in OU it will have counters that can deal with it, it can only run 4 moves.....

Oh of course... how could I possibly forget those other pokemon with a 90% accurate sleep move.... o wait

90% > 70% accuracy
Dark Void has 80%. Crobat is quicker and Gengar has better typing. Crobat can easily switch into huge threats like Heracross, Darkrai can't.

can crobat really easily switch into Heracross? It could be scarfed and probably carries stone edge. Crobat does have an easier time than Darkrai, but i wouldn't say that it is easy just easier. I can only see it easily switching into megahorn, and even then i it takes a big chunk of damage.

Bologo

Have fun with birds and bees.
is a Contributor Alumnus
can crobat really easily switch into Heracross? It could be scarfed and probably carries stone edge. Crobat does have an easier time than Darkrai, but i wouldn't say that it is easy just easier. I can only see it easily switching into megahorn, and even then i it takes a big chunk of damage.
Crobat 4x resists Megahorn, and Close Combat as well. I highly doubt it's going to be taking a big chunk of damage. Don't underestimate Crobat's defenses. The only Heracross that's going to be beating Crobat is the scarfed version, and even then it has to get lucky by choosing the right move as Crobat comes out, and to pray for it to hit. The CB version is beaten because Crobat can just Roost off the Stone Edges, taking away the Rock weakness. In other words, yes, Crobat can switch really easily into Heracross.

In the end it's apples and oranges over "the best sleeper" (which seems to be part of the argument right now). You can't really convincingly say "Gengar's type advantage > Darkrai's 10% accuracy" because 1) those things are rather incomparable and 2) there's a lot lot lot lot more to it.

I still don't understand how Bad Dreams makes Darkrai any better or worse. At best, it's 12% damage when it sleeps something, and if you're trying to keep that sleeping pokemon in, you have bigger problems.
I agree, Bad Dreams sucks. All it's good for is forcing stuff with Sleep Talk out from Darkrai, but since Sleep Talkers aren't that amazing to begin with and they're playing with fire by staying in that is nothing to be really proud of. I mean, 33% to give this thing a free turn every time? no thanks, especially since you usually need two of your STAB hits to kill the thing.

Why do the next two posters seem to be reading "Bad Dreams" as "Dark Void"?

It can, actually. It's not hard to predict an attack. Trust me, a full HP Crobat won't take much damage. Every other attack against Crobat is worthless and gives you a free turn for Taunt, scouting, Hypnosis or just damage.

Dark Void has 80%. Crobat is quicker and Gengar has better typing. Crobat can easily switch into huge threats like Heracross, Darkrai can't.
Wide Lense on Crobat will knock Hypnosis up to 77%, making the comparison of Crobat to Darkrai even muddier. Wide Lense Crobat is a pretty solid Pokemon.

wide lens ups it to 91% IIRC.

and people need to stop comparing crobat to darkrai. crobat is as predictable as hell, and pretty much on usfull as a lead (and i love crobat on use him on around half of my teams)

darkrai can actually do damage and stat up to kill threats while crobat can only u turn away, getting eaten away by SR damage. also, so what is darkrai cant switch into heracross. switch into gliscor, then switch in darkrai as heracross switches. darkrai would overcentralize OU and really fuck up any team who does not have an awake darkrai counter

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)