SV OU Darkrai hypno balance (needs help)

So this is my first post and team and would value any analysis, as this team probably has a lot of improvements. However I am fairly proud with this team as I made it from complete scratch. It is a fun team but it struggles to compete once I get to the mid elo and would like any advice. It plays a lot around sleep and status, as it is an annoying strategy for opponents to play around

Team:

1704846974236.png

Darkrai @ Leftovers
Ability: Bad Dreams
Tera Type: Dark
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Ice Beam
- Hypnosis
- Dark Pulse
- Sludge Bomb

I chose Darkrai as he recently got dropped from Ubers to OU, so took the chance to try teambuild around such a strong mon. His great speed stat is one of the fastest mons in the tier without the use of scarf or booster energy. I know hypnosis is a goofy strategy however I think it is frustrating set for opponents to come up against once it lands. Ice beam is for Gliscor and sludge bomb is for Enamorous and grass types which can suprise opponents.

1704847181379.png

Skeledirge @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
Tera Type: Water
EVs: 252 HP / 60 Def / 196 SpD
Modest Nature
- Hex
- Will-O-Wisp
- Slack Off
- Torch Song

Skeledirge has climbed back to OU due to the high amount of set up mons in the current meta and is also a spin blocker in some scenarios. He is also a good counter to Val due to it's typing, unless they are running knock off. My spreads I have chosen are mostly in SPD due to its natural DEF to allow it to switch in on non physical mons as well as SPA. It is a defensive mon but has the chance to set up as a strong special attacker with good typing.

1704847362664.png

Iron Treads @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Quark Drive
Tera Type: Water
EVs: 252 HP / 164 Def / 92 SpD
Impish Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Stealth Rock

I chose a UU spinner and stealth rock setter due to my lack of steel types. I also chose rocky helmet as I do not necessarily keep treads in for more than one turn, so can be a good u-turn answer. I have not much to say for this on as I know there are more popular hazard removers, however it has one of the highest defensive stats and I think it suits my team due to its high special defense investment. Stab earthquake and iron head are both good moves that do good damage without any attacking investment. SPD investment to prevent special attacking moves that can OHKO such as glimmora earth power.

1704847546108.png

Rillaboom @ Choice Band
Ability: Grassy Surge
Tera Type: Grass
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Grassy Glide
- U-turn
- Knock Off
- Hammer Arm

Access to Grassy glide and grassy terrains recovery is good for my team due to its tanks. Also knock off is a very useful move as it is not massively distributed in gen 9 compared with generation 8. However my problem with this mon is the 0.5x ground attack from grassy terrain, as I do run ground moves, but does allow Slowking-g, skel and treads to switch in more safely. It is also my main pivot so serves as hard hitting utility mon, and potential breaker with over 500 attack stat.

1704847722910.png

Slowking-Galar @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Regenerator
Tera Type: Grass
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 88 SpA / 164 SpD
Bold Nature
- Chilly Reception
- Sludge Bomb
- Future Sight
- Yawn

Slowking-Galar is one of my favourite mons due to its bulk, good special attack and utility. Sludge bomb is a good stab move that can cause fairys and grass types. Future sight is great with chilling reception, as when a switch to a dark or steel type is done, the ability to pivot once the opponent makes the move is strong too. Yawn is also great synergy with Skels Hex and Darkrai's bad dreams and can also force switches. Additionally chilling reception can remove sun and rain from opponents which allows my team to attack instead of absorbing hits from Walking Wake and others.

1704847978721.png

Enamorus @ Choice Specs
Ability: Contrary
Tera Type: Stellar
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Moonblast
- Earth Power
- Tera Blast
- Mystical Fire

Stellar specs Enamorus is great breaker for my team. I am not sure if it is an optimal special attacker, as it can be outsped, however stab moonblast is a very strong move than beats most dragons. Aditionally mystical fire is great in to steel types or special attackers that threaten my team. Steller and contrary allows Enamorus to increase their special attack.

Just a quick note that grassy terrain halves the power of earthquake on treads, but not high horsepower, which treads also gets. Generally in this meta with rillaboom's prominence, I run high horsepower over earthquake whenever it's an option.

As a side note, your team noticeably lacks both speed and extreme defensive pokemon able to make up for that. I'd suggest changing enamorus's item from specs to scarf, as you already have skeledirge and rillaboom as breakers, a 3rd one isn't really necessary.

Change Ice Beam on Darkrai to Focus Blast for Kingambit, much more relevant and important to beat on this team than dnite or landorus.

Last edited:
I'm no Ou master mind, but you may want to run a policy Darkrai where you get stat raises if the hypnosis doesn't hit. Also maybe put a more tried and true tera type on Enamorous instead of the "Maybe it will 6-0" prayer of the stellar tera. If a gambit comes in and iron heads your tera is completely wasted. Other mons look solid other than earthquake and high horse power with Shroom God pointed out. Hope I can help.

I'm no Ou master mind, but you may want to run a policy Darkrai where you get stat raises if the hypnosis doesn't hit. Also maybe put a more tried and true tera type on Enamorous instead of the "Maybe it will 6-0" prayer of the stellar tera. If a gambit comes in and iron heads your tera is completely wasted. Other mons look solid other than earthquake and high horse power with Shroom God pointed out. Hope I can help.
ok blunder is a great idea, the other changes ive made and yeah, stellar is rarely usefull i might do like ground for garg or kg or neck

Enamorous instead of the "Maybe it will 6-0" prayer of the stellar tera. If a gambit comes in and iron heads your tera is completely wasted.
First things first ima say that Tera Stellar is an inherently great tera type for Enam. The contrary stellar boost is very good.
Enamorus @ Choice Specs
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Moonblast
- Earth Power
- Tera Blast
- Mystical Fire
Now on to this, I think that you could run a physical set instead with Superpower to help against Gambit. Something like this could work:
Enamorus @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Moonblast
- Superpwer
- Tera Blast
- Healing Wish/Substitute

That's all from me. Have a nice day :psyglad:

First things first ima say that Tera Stellar is an inherently great tera type for Enam. The contrary stellar boost is very good.

Now on to this, I think that you could run a physical set instead with Superpower to help against Gambit. Something like this could work:
Enamorus @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Moonblast
- Superpwer
- Tera Blast
- Healing Wish/Substitute

That's all from me. Have a nice day :psyglad:

thanks, great idea

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)