item: Choice Scarf
nature: Rash / Naive
evs: 44 HP / 24 Atk / 200 SpA / 236 Spe

• Main merit is STABd Scarf Eruption, something fairly unique to Cyndaquil
  • Cynda also reaches 24 /25 speed, higher than most scarfers who reach 21
  • HP Grass for waters, HP Electric for Mantyke
  • Double Kick can OHKO Houndour after SR
  • AC will mention possible Lava Plume in last slot for 30% burn rate
  • Partners - Squirtle and Kabuto for rapid spin, Taunt Leads to prevent SR, SR support of own to eliminate sashes
  • EVs are such to compensate for IV loss due to Hidden Power

[Team Options]

• Gastly can be used as a lure to take out Munchlax
  • Stealth Rock to break sashes
  • Generally, since Cyndauil will be opening holes in enemy for someone else to sweep, fast late game cleaners such as Elekid and RP Gligar can be used to take advantage
[Optional Changes]

• Flare Blitz + Physical EV Spread, but outclassed by Ponyta
  • Sub Salac with Reversal Fire Blast and Hidden Power possible
  • Scarf set can be turned into Specs, less than 19 speed means better under TR
  • Possible lead set with Quick Attack, but again, outclassed by Ponyta
[Counters]

• Munchlax and Mantyke good switchins to Eruption and in general
  • Mantyke and Chinchou can also set up on a fire move
  • Houndour can switch in on Choiced Eruption and set up
  • Revenge killed by Aqua Jet users such as Kabuto, Buizel, Carvanha and Squirtle, faster scarfers such as +speed Gastly and Gligar

You are going to have to convince me on why that lead cyndaquil warrants use over chimchar/ponyta/houndour (and thats just fire types). it doesn't have stealth rock, a high enough speed stat, just seems like random "pokemon with protect/priority, i can use as a lead!"

Well, the main point of it is to stop them from setting up SR, and if they do they lose a mon outright while I stay at 100% with an intact Sash, which is somewhat of an advantage. It has Speed over Chimchar, and a more reliable priority move in Quick Attack over the stronger but less reliable Sucker Punch when compared to Houndour. However you are completely right in that Ponyta outclasses it, so fair play I will remove it.

I wouldn't mention Return, Quick Attack, or Wisp in AC. I would mention Lava Plume for the 30% burn rate and 100% accuracy though. The reason I exclude the others is because you need a secondary fire attack with eruption not going to be usable for long.

Double Kick isn't even 3HKOing Lax, but it does have a very small chance to OHKO Houndour with Stealth Rock IIRC, so I would remove comments about "it being for lax". Full Power Eruption actually does more x]

eric the espeon

maybe I just misunderstood
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Flare Blitz + Physical EV Spread, but outclassed by Ponyta
Worth noting that Cynda gets Flare Blitz+QA, while that combination is illegal on Ponyta. Perhaps Magby with Flare Blitz+Mach Punch is a better comparison? Otherwise looks fairly good, but missing Overview.

Looks pretty good... great Scarfer, I used one early in my LC career to decent effect (with Eruption 2HKOing even some Water-types I ran into).

I want to throw Reversal out there as a possible answer to Munchlax, although honestly I have no idea how effective it would be. Obviously, it'd need to take some damage first, but since Quil usually wants SR gone, it might be harder to get its HP that low. I'm throwing it out there, I'll let you guys decide if it would be useful or not. :0

Dubulous

I look just like Buddy Holly.
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Black Buddha has informed me that he is no longer working on this analysis. As such, I'm locking this and re-opening it for claim.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)