Custom 3D Animated Renders

DJTHED

Amateur 3D Animator
is a Top Artist
It's getting a bit exhausting to reiterate this, but this thread is about my own 3D project for these 3DS style of renders. This isn't the place to really be discussing other options, the right people at smogon probably aren't going to be seeing this. Please stop using this thread to recommend other options. Options using someone elses work (with permission please, do not recommend stealing others work), or using a completely different method is not relevant to this thread and talking about it here does nothing. It's not that I'm against it, but communicating things like that in this thread will not accomplish anything simply because this is not the right place to discuss it. I'm just a guy that does renders, that's all.

It's getting a bit exhausting to reiterate this, but this thread is about my own 3D project for these 3DS style of renders. This isn't the place to really be discussing other options, the right people at smogon probably aren't going to be seeing this. Please stop using this thread to recommend other options. Options using someone elses work (with permission please, do not recommend stealing others work), or using a completely different method is not relevant to this thread and talking about it here does nothing. It's not that I'm against it, but communicating things like that in this thread will not accomplish anything simply because this is not the right place to discuss it. I'm just a guy that does renders, that's all.
cl we use ur sprites for copyrighted games anyways :) and we just kids waiting for you to do your sprites fr.

Runo

I get imposter syndrome from playing mons!!!
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
cl we use ur sprites for copyrighted games anyways :)
from what I remember the sprites are free to use so long as you give credit
and we just kids waiting for you to do your sprites fr.
#1 you have your age listed as 42 so that statement doesn't even apply to you, and if it does then why are you lying about your age.
#2 people being young isn't an excuse to constantly badger someone to get a project done, especially as DJTHED has other priorities going on with his life. If you want this project to get done faster then by all means take the time to learn the process and pitch in.

from what I remember the sprites are free to use so long as you give credit

#1 you have your age listed as 42 so that statement doesn't even apply to you, and if it does then why are you lying about your age.
#2 people being young isn't an excuse to constantly badger someone to get a project done, especially as DJTHED has other priorities going on with his life. If you want this project to get done faster then by all means take the time to learn the process and pitch in.
It's funny cause the majority of the copies don't so meh + i mean you ripped your sprites from pokemon official shouldn't we credit them all you did was turn it into 3ds.

uppa

did i play well ?
is a Top Artist
It's funny cause the majority of the copies don't so meh + i mean you ripped your sprites from pokemon official shouldn't we credit them all you did was turn it into 3ds.
They’re not “ripped from pokemon official”, though. They’re painstakingly rendered in 3d software to try and achieve a similar look to the gen 6 games. It’s not the same thing as recording each pokedex entry and trying to lazily bluescreen out the background.

They’re not “ripped from pokemon official”, though. They’re painstakingly rendered in 3d software to try and achieve a similar look to the gen 6 games. It’s not the same thing as recording each pokedex entry and trying to lazily bluescreen out the background.

what about this is lazy? It looks fantastic and it’s already done. I’d argue it looks so much better that the green screened high res Switch models should just be used by default going forward. it looks better and we could have animations in a month instead of a year. Pokémon will continue to come out on better and better hardware over the years and the 3DS models will look worse and worse unlike gen 1-5 sprites which are fairly timeless. We really need a future gen 12 to look like gen 6? Seems like a solution in search of a problem.

uppa

did i play well ?
is a Top Artist

what about this is lazy? It looks fantastic and it’s already done. I’d argue it looks so much better that the green screened high res Switch models should just be used by default going forward. it looks better and we could have animations in a month instead of a year. Pokémon will continue to come out on better and better hardware over the years and the 3DS models will look worse and worse unlike gen 1-5 sprites which are fairly timeless. We really need a future gen 12 to look like gen 6? Seems like a solution in search of a problem.
Okay, sure. Every gen lets redo every single past generation of pokemon in the style of the new games. What if some mons are dexited? Do you want to mod them into the game, or would you want the style to be inconsistent? Also the 3ds style fits lower res gifs, which is far more in the scope of what the site can handle.

not but in order to render u need to rip the models from the game file is what i meant lol

Runo

https://pokemonshowdown.com/credits
1692117987432.png

PkParaíso.com said:
El contenido de esta web, no limitado a texto o imágenes, es © 2009-2016 PkParaíso.com
Pokémon y sus marcas relacionadas pertenecen a Nintendo, Game Freak, Creatures Inc.
PkParaíso es un sitio web no oficial que se encuentra bajo licencia Creative Commons BY-NC-ND
----------
The content of this website, not limited to text or images, is © 2009-2016 PkParaíso.com
Pokémon and related marks are owned by Nintendo, Game Freak, Creatures Inc.
PkParaíso is an unofficial website that is licensed under a Creative Commons BY-NC-ND license.
A completely unaffiliated project rendered these sprites and we did give credit to them, and they themselves gave credit to Nintendo under this disclaimer.
Quit talking out of your ass bro.

DJTHED

Amateur 3D Animator
is a Top Artist

Must I repeat myself yet again? Or will it fall on deaf ears again?

Wsg regi, didn’t know you and faith would be here.

Sorry, I’m pretty sure people were asking for other options to either help you with the process or contribute by rendering models themselves. That’s why I mentioned QuickBMS and Noesis.

It’s less the fact that the work is lazy and more the fact that it’s simply incompatible with Showdown. Most sprites are between 50x50 and 150x150, while that’s well above the size limit. Not only that, sprites have maintained a black outline reminiscent to the 3DS era of Pokemon sprites. In order to fix that, you’d need the actual model and implement 3DS style shading. Even if you simply resized Jiro’s and senso’s work (which we wouldn’t use anyway since Jiro’s has cropping errors and senso’s is shiny fronts only), that’d make the sprites look REALLY crappy.

Question 1: Why was three-segment Dudunsparce posted twice?
A programming error, I had the threesegments twice in the json file
Question 2: Why are the animations played so slowly? I feel like mon such as Squawkabilly should be moving much faster than what's on display here.
imageMagick, I've been having a hard time calculating 60 or 30fps, so now use custom code to mass adjust the speed of all sprites.
Question 3: Why are the back views of Tinkatuff & Tinkaton facing the left instead of the right?
As these sprites are screenshots the pokedex preview doesn't fully show tinkatuff back, tinkaton back, dondozo back and miraidon back/front completely :(

Here the fixes

Pack Download
For example, aro screenripped the entirety of Gen 9, and after resizing the sprites, they look pretty bad compared to the custom renders. They also don’t have the 3DS outline or lighting, which can only be achieved with the models and animations being imported into Blender and editing the lighting and shading accordingly. There are videos/links on page 21 for how to grab the models/anims and shade them in blender. It’s a long and hard process, but if you want to render these Pokemon yourself, you’re gonna need a lot of time.

Hello! Just a small follow-up that considering the history of the thread, any future derailment of the thread will be met with little tolerance, and anyone with a repeat offense in the thread may get threadbanned. I've edited the OP of the thread with this notice to ensure visibility. Please respect the work of others and refrain from bringing in off-topic discussion to the project.

Thank you for your work and patience with the community, DJTHED :toast:

DJTHED

Amateur 3D Animator
is a Top Artist
Hello! Just a small follow-up that considering the history of the thread, any future derailment of the thread will be met with little tolerance, and anyone with a repeat offense in the thread may get threadbanned. I've edited the OP of the thread with this notice to ensure visibility. Please respect the work of others and refrain from bringing in off-topic discussion to the project.

Thank you for your work and patience with the community, DJTHED :toast:
Much appreciated, thank you!

And also as a reminder, if anyone wants to come in and help with renders, be sure to contact me as I have a private discord server dedicated for this project now. It will require some learning so it'll be a slow start, but if you think you are up for helping out, especially in my recent absence, this is how you'd do it!

Last edited:

Runo

i have the backs but
These renders are too dark compared to the actual thing, did you make sure to add/adjust the lighting to your scene? Also I worry that it might be too big, make sure you check that the scale correlates to the height of the mon (you can do this by comparing it to similar sized mons and go from there).

also:
This video by DJTHED himself does a nice job at showing how to do the shaders

managed to make this with it, but that's all I can do so far since idk how to rip the proper animations atm
For people using this video to make independent renders, please know that this video is dated and project has a more complex but more accurate render process now. They are also using Home models instead of the SV models since their geometry is a lot simpler. As DJTHED already mentioned, they have a private discord channel where you can better contribute, please contact them if you're willing to join. Esp since I'm pretty sure unapproved renders are getting deleted.

These renders are too dark compared to the actual thing, did you make sure to add/adjust the lighting to your scene? Also I worry that it might be too big, make sure you check that the scale correlates to the height of the mon (you can do this by comparing it to similar sized mons and go from there).

also:

For people using this video to make independent renders, please know that this video is dated and project has a more complex but more accurate render process now. They are also using Home models instead of the SV models since their geometry is a lot simpler. As DJTHED already mentioned, they have a private discord channel where you can better contribute, please contact them if you're willing to join. Esp since I'm pretty sure unapproved renders are getting deleted.
I have messaged about joining but still waiting for a response :wo:

DJTHED

Amateur 3D Animator
is a Top Artist
I might as well bring up here that the server I have in place has a good number of people in it now. Which means that I'll be slowing down how many people I bring in. I want to be mindful of making sure I don't overpopulate the server with volunteers. I want to make sure I pass down my knowledge and process without it becoming a headache managing and teaching too many people with my limited time.

So with that said, I expect to mainly only be bringing in new people if they already are well versed in Blender and/or using ripped 3D assets, as it's a lot easier to bring them in as a contributor since it requires a lot less teaching and guidance from me when they come in with prior experience. The people that are already in the server that don't have experience I'm still willing to help and guide through, but it can quickly get very overwhelming if I keep letting in people with little exerpience, especially Blender experience.

I might as well bring up here that the server I have in place has a good number of people in it now. Which means that I'll be slowing down how many people I bring in. I want to be mindful of making sure I don't overpopulate the server with volunteers. I want to make sure I pass down my knowledge and process without it becoming a headache managing and teaching too many people with my limited time.

So with that said, I expect to mainly only be bringing in new people if they already are well versed in Blender and/or using ripped 3D assets, as it's a lot easier to bring them in as a contributor since it requires a lot less teaching and guidance from me when they come in with prior experience. The people that are already in the server that don't have experience I'm still willing to help and guide through, but it can quickly get very overwhelming if I keep letting in people with little exerpience, especially Blender experience.
A lot of people in this thread know how to import models and render them were all waiting for conformation but i understand where you're coming from.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)