Creative Sets in Smogon Doubles (Updated for ORAS @ Post #83)

I'd probably add more bulk to that ShucaTran. If it's dying to Adamant Landorus-T's Earthquake more than half of the time, it's not worth it imo. A more better usage of Shuca Tran is with HP Ice. This move lets it kill off Landorus-T and Garchomp that Heatran baits in. Pair it with a Pokemon that enjoy seeing Landorus-T and Garchomp gone to make this worthwhile.
The problem with that is you start losing power or speed in order to tank the hit, and Adamant Lando pretty much kills you every time even with Shuca. You need Intimidate support to deal with it, but the HP Ice is a great option. I'll slash it in.

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
252+ Atk Landorus-T Earthquake vs. 176 HP / 0 Def Shuca Berry Heatran: 276-326 (75.2 - 88.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

BlankZero, this is the calc for Adamant Landorus-T's EQ vs your ShucaTran - it should be able to survive the hit comfortably without Intimidate support :0

pwnedit: he was using singles damages!! also no scarf lando uses jolly v__v

Last edited by a moderator:
252+ Atk Landorus-T Earthquake vs. 176 HP / 0 Def Shuca Berry Heatran: 276-326 (75.2 - 88.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

BlankZero, this is the calc for Adamant Landorus-T's EQ vs your ShucaTran - it should be able to survive the hit comfortably without Intimidate support :0

pwnedit: he was using singles damages!! also no scarf lando uses jolly v__v
OH NOES HOW EMBARRASSING!

and my Scarf Landorus is usually Jolly lol.

BLOOD TOTEM

braine damaged
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

I.Y.F.F.E (Tyranitar) @ Shuca Berry
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 228 HP / 212 Atk / 68 SAtk
Quiet Nature
- Rock Slide
- Crunch
- Ice Beam
- Protect

Want to help your Sand Rush Excadrill? Trouble with Garchomp or Landorus-T? Get yourself a LureTTar today.

Sublimely EVd to KO both Garchomp and Landorus-T with Ice Beam after they've been hit by Rock Slide.
Shuca Berry prevents TTar from taking major damage from their Earthquakes.
Not too many EVs diverted away from Attack and bulk.

This TTar is actually pretty legit and is actually quite an asset if you're finding yourself a little EQ weak. Landorus-T is such an annoying Intimidate user so being able to effectively take it out is a real asset to pretty much any team. Garchomp is also pretty tough to deal with since it sits just above that 100 base Speed tier so once again the ability to use something that usually loses out to it to beat it helps to win matches.

(I.Y.F.F.E stands for In Your Face Fuck Everything btw :3)

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Cool set, but using your Sandstorm summoner as a lure sounds rather counterproductive to me, since there will be no one to supply the storm once Ttar goes down. But comfortably surviving an EQ may actually be aiding Tyranitar's resilience, so it actually works out in the end :0 It's worth noting that Tyranitar also puts other checks to Excadrill, such as Latios, Cresselia, and Gourgeist out of commission, which is nice.

Cool set, but using your Sandstorm summoner as a lure sounds rather counterproductive to me, since there will be no one to supply the storm once Ttar goes down. But comfortably surviving an EQ may actually be aiding Tyranitar's resilience, so it actually works out in the end :0 It's worth noting that Tyranitar also puts other checks to Excadrill, such as Latios, Cresselia, and Gourgeist out of commission, which is nice.
I still think Weakness Policy DDance Tar is a better use, but whatever floats your boat.

Level 51

the orchestra plays the prettiest themes
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
a bit late to the beat up + justified discussion, but if you MUST use that, you need to use whimsicott (so beat up won't get redirected) with charm / tailwind / encore (for fake outers). quick guard terrakion also helps you get out of tight spots against talonflame and fake outers. obviously though don't make a +6 terrakion your main plan, it won't work if you fight anyone good

I had some success with a bulky SupportDarkrai that I have not seen yet and wanted to share it, to get feedback and improve the EV distribution.

Darkrai @ Leftovers
Ability: Bad Dreams
EVs: 152 Spd / 248 HP / rest into Defenses
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Substitute
- Snarl
- Foul Play
- Will-O-Wisp

This is played in a two Pokemon support core with Klefki and some offensive Pokemon that like some disruption before getting their show started.
The speed EV´s let you outspeed 112 max+ Pokemon although the main target are 111 max+. HP gives the highest number that is not a multiple of 8(magic recoil number).
This improved my performance against key threats like Bisharp and Kangaskhan, but obviously mainly against special attackers/ supports.

This is a pretty cool support Cresselia set I've been using, it runs trick room just to shut off opposing trick room which sounds gimmicky but is actually very useful on the ladder.
I use Skill Swap alongside Mega Charizard Y to get up drought again without being forced to switch out and back in, however more often I use it on opponents like Heatran, Mega Kangaskhan, Kingdra, and Mega Mawile who rely heavily on their abilities. Seriously, Skill Swap is such a strong move and I use it almost everytime I send in Cress.
Moonlight is also boosted by the sun and Psyshock is there for a STAB move :].

Cresselia (F) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 96 Def / 160 SDef
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Trick Room
- Moonlight
- Psyshock
- Skill Swap

I use a stalling core in doubles because I prefer to weather hits and produce damage over time while passive damage does its thing.

Clefairy@Eveolite
Bold
252 def /252 sp.def/6hp

Cosmic Power
Toxic/Attract
Moonlight
Follow Me

Goodra@Leftovers
Sassy
252 Def/ 100sp.Def/ 100 Hp/ 58 speed

Attract
Toxic
Protect
Swagger

I find that by utilizing swagger+Attract I can obtain the boosts needed on Clefairy to sponge the damage when using Follow Me, whilst Toxic reduces the opponents health at a reasonable pace. After 3 Cosmic Power Clefairy can take 2 Iron Head(s) from an Adamant Heatran and survive allowing switch ins from Follow Me.

I'm aware of the drawbacks of using this set, such as sppedy dragon types and the steel pokemon commonly seen ( Bisharp,Heatran,M-Mawile,Scizor,Klefki) able switch in on Toxic and ruin the strategy, especially Klefki with the whole Parafusion tactic but overall the surprise factor allows at least 1 or 2 pokemon to become crippled allowing multiple sweeping chances from the pokemon waiting in resrve. Obviously Clefable can utilize this set as well but I prefer the hightened Def due to the Eviolite boost.

I'll post calcs and vids when time allows.

I use a stalling core in doubles because I prefer to weather hits and produce damage over time while passive damage does its thing.

Clefairy@Eveolite
Bold
252 def /252 sp.def/6hp

Cosmic Power
Toxic/Attract
Moonlight
Follow Me

Goodra@Leftovers
Sassy
252 Def/ 100sp.Def/ 100 Hp/ 58 speed

Attract
Toxic
Protect
Swagger

I find that by utilizing swagger+Attract I can obtain the boosts needed on Clefairy to sponge the damage when using Follow Me, whilst Toxic reduces the opponents health at a reasonable pace. After 3 Cosmic Power Clefairy can take 2 Iron Head(s) from an Adamant Heatran and survive allowing switch ins from Follow Me.

I'm aware of the drawbacks of using this set, such as sppedy dragon types and the steel pokemon commonly seen ( Bisharp,Heatran,M-Mawile,Scizor,Klefki) able switch in on Toxic and ruin the strategy, especially Klefki with the whole Parafusion tactic but overall the surprise factor allows at least 1 or 2 pokemon to become crippled allowing multiple sweeping chances from the pokemon waiting in resrve. Obviously Clefable can utilize this set as well but I prefer the hightened Def due to the Eviolite boost.

I'll post calcs and vids when time allows.
It seems decent, but just one thing. TAUNT!!! There are no attacking moves at all on that set. Infestation might be better on Goodra than swagger, increasing the damage per turn, while not leaving you with as big of a weakness to taunt. Also, just a little nitpick, but Heatran is a special attacker. Base 90 attack isn't bad, but it isn't very good either. Especially when compared to base 130 special attack and good converge in it's special move pool.

Last edited:

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Because Doubles is generally far more fast-paced than OU or other singles tiers, Toxic is generally a very poor move - things are barely on the field for very long most of the time unless they're specific support Pokemon (read: ones that don't really break you anyway) or behind a Substitute (blocks Toxic). Attract and Swagger are also incredibly unreliable, as the former is entirely dependent on the opponent's gender and the latter can backfire horribly.

Thundurus (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Nasty Plot
- Substitute

This is one of my favorite Thundurus sets. Though something like Sub + Setup would be frowned upon at first sight in doubles, it works very well. Thanks to Prankster and under most conditions, Substitute works like protect- if your opponent fails to break the substitute during that tunr, you essentially get a free turn to set up (unless your opponent double targets, so watch out for that). Thunderbolt hits extremely hard after a Nasty Plot boost, and Hidden Power Ice is obvious coverage against ground and grass types.

This kind of set needs the right team support, so something which gets follow me / Rage powder (Jirachi has decent coverage would be useful to pulling of this set successfully.

Thundurus (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Nasty Plot
- Substitute

This is one of my favorite Thundurus sets. Though something like Sub + Setup would be frowned upon at first sight in doubles, it works very well. Thanks to Prankster and under most conditions, Substitute works like protect- if your opponent fails to break the substitute during that tunr, you essentially get a free turn to set up (unless your opponent double targets, so watch out for that). Thunderbolt hits extremely hard after a Nasty Plot boost, and Hidden Power Ice is obvious coverage against ground and grass types.

This kind of set needs the right team support, so something which gets follow me / Rage powder (Jirachi has decent coverage would be useful to pulling of this set successfully.
I would think Thundurus-T would be a better fit on a set like this though, mainly due to the fact that you're going to run a RP/FM user next to it?

I would think Thundurus-T would be a better fit on a set like this though, mainly due to the fact that you're going to run a RP/FM user next to it?
Not really, I think Prankster Substitute is extremely useful for helping set up, which Thundurus-T doesn't have. The higher speed is also more useful because there are fewer important mons that outspeed you, such as Terrakion, and Garchomp. The extra power isn't really necessary because you are setting up your SpA anyway.

It seems decent, but just one thing. TAUNT!!! There are no attacking moves at all on that set. Infestation might be better on Goodra than swagger, increasing the damage per turn, while not leaving you with as big of a weakness to taunt. Also, just a little nitpick, but Heatran is a special attacker. Base 90 attack isn't bad, but it isn't very good either. Especially when compared to base 130 special attack and good converge in it's special move pool.
I'm aware of taunt, and would usualy switch to an attacker if I predicted the taunt coming. As a core it works well because other players don't expect that I'd be stalling with Goodra. I'm aware of the flaws in using a team like this but it gets wins by its surprise factor.

Stratos

Banned deucer.
IVE TAKEN ENOUGH SHIT FOR MOLTRES BUT ITS A GOOD MON SO IM GOING TO FUCKING POST IT HERE, SUCK IT HATERS:

Moltres @ Wide Lens
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Quiet Nature
IVs: 30 SAtk / 30 SDef / 1 Spd
- Heat Wave
- Hurricane
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Protect

Here is the legend that keeps getting bashed despite doing work in almost every match. See me vs nollan for an example of how awesome it is. every team should use this set, ever.

in seriousness this was a specific tech for a full TR team that had already used a mega (thus eliminating chary from consideration) but needed a solid answer to spore-spamming grass types, Scizor, Mawile, Heatran, and various other threats to Trick Room. Honestly, I bet talon would have worked better if only it could hit Heatran, but Tran is a huge problem for this team so he was out. With nowhere left to turn, I tried moltres, and it has some neat uses. Flying/Fire is an amazing STAB combo, and it can also rack up confuses with hurricane and hit spread with heat wave (and maybe get a lucky burn hehe). HP Ground is basically only used for Heatran. Moltres is just bulky enough to live almost everything, and just powerful enough for hurricane to 2hko basically the entire tier that doesn't resist it. Though I wouldn't recommend Moltres for most teams, it's definitely just good enough to use if you require its stellar defensive and offensive typing.

The Leprechaun

wear nike not fila
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus

Hitmontop (M) @ Coba Berry
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 120 HP / 136 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Stone Edge
- Close Combat
- Wide Guard/ Feint
- Fake Out

I don't like talonflame. EVs beat min speed rotom by 2 so heatrans who outspeed by one get donked. Outspeeds kiss by extension.

BLOOD TOTEM

braine damaged
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Suwako (Politoed) @ Damp Rock
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 188 HP / 100 SAtk / 220 Spd
Modest Nature
- Scald
- Icy Wind
- Encore
- Protect

Since Suwako is best 2hu I decided to put a bit of time into the EV spread on my Politoed. It's a pretty standard moveset, but, the speed EVs are what set it apart from other Politoed sets. When coupled with an Icy Wind drop, 220 Speed EVs allow me to outspeed and lock even Jolly 252+ Mega Kangaskhan into a Fake Out. Obviously this helps out with other 252+ base 100 Speed Pokemon such as Charizard if they chose to Protect against Politoed. 100 SpA looks a little like I've just chosen it because it's a nice round number but it does a whole bunch of things like 2HKO LO Thundy with Scald and 2HKO 4 / 0 Landorus-T with Icy Wind. the rest of the rest of the EVs are just a HP dump because gotta go bulk.

So yah, Encore is clutch af and I really recommend having a play around with this Politoed set especially with the lord and savior that is Agility Ampharos.

termi

bike is short for bichael
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
Gardevoir @ Gardevoirite
Ability: Trace
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Psyshock
- Hyper Voice
- Skill Swap

Carbink @ Choice Band
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk
Adamant Nature
- Explosion
- Gyro Ball
- Rock Slide
- Moonblast

Slightly gimmicky, but if it works it could be fun. The other moves on carbink are just in case you actually need to use a real attack.
Why would you use that when you can also just use CB Lando-t which has a more powerful explosion than pixilate cb carbink and can do way more outside of that cos its attack stat isn't the size of the genitals of user : Pwnemon

Electrolyte

Wouldn't Wanna Know
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Something I recently came up with and have been using with a great success rate:

Keldeo @ Wide Lens
Ability: Justified
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpAtk / 252 Spe
Timid nature
- Hydro Pump
- Focus Blast
- Protect
- Icy Wind / Quick Guard
This set's main draw is its power. Hydro Pump / Focus Blast are both significantly more powerful than their more reliable, LO counterparts (Scald, Secret Sword, respectively) an Wide Lens helps close the gap in terms of accuracy, making Hydro Pump have 88% accuracy and Focus Blast a still shaky yet more reliable 77% accuracy. Hydro Pump basically gains the accuracy of Draco Meteor, while Focus Blast becomes more accurate than Sleep Powder. The most important benefit in making this change is helping make Keldeo's chance to OHKO 252/4 Mega Kangaskhan more than x2 times as likely (factoring in the miss chance.)

Damage calcs:
252 SpA Keldeo Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Mega Kangaskhan: 390-458 (94.2 - 110.6%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO --- 48.125% chance factoring in accuracy

252 SpA Life Orb Keldeo Secret Sword vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mega Kangaskhan: 361-429 (87.1 - 103.6%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO

More:
252 SpA Keldeo Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Heatran: 372-440 (96.3 - 113.9%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO -- 62.601% chance factoring in the accuracy

252 SpA Life Orb Keldeo Secret Sword vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 343-406 (88.8 - 105.1%) -- 25% chance to OHKO

ANOTHER crucial thing is the lack of Life Orb recoil! LO Keldeo will always die to 252+ Return + 1 round of LO recoil, while Wide Lens Keldeo does not have to worry about that problem yet still hits harder.
Unfortunately you miss out on Scald's burn chance but that's not too terrible if you're just going to KO everything anyway :)

Something I recently came up with and have been using with a great success rate:

Keldeo @ Wide Lens
Timid nature
- Hydro Pump
- Focus Blast
- Protect
- Icy Wind / Quick Guard
This set's main draw is its power. Hydro Pump / Focus Blast are both significantly more powerful than their more reliable, LO counterparts (Scald, Secret Sword, respectively) an Wide Lens helps close the gap in terms of accuracy, making Hydro Pump have 88% accuracy and Focus Blast a still shaky yet more reliable 77% accuracy. Hydro Pump basically gains the accuracy of Draco Meteor, while Focus Blast becomes more accurate than Sleep Powder. The most important benefit in making this change is helping make Keldeo's chance to OHKO 252/4 Mega Kangaskhan more than x2 times as likely (factoring in the miss chance.)

Damage calcs:
252 SpA Keldeo Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Mega Kangaskhan: 390-458 (94.2 - 110.6%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO --- 48.125% chance factoring in accuracy

252 SpA Life Orb Keldeo Secret Sword vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mega Kangaskhan: 361-429 (87.1 - 103.6%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO

More:
252 SpA Keldeo Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Heatran: 372-440 (96.3 - 113.9%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO -- 62.601% chance factoring in the accuracy

252 SpA Life Orb Keldeo Secret Sword vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 343-406 (88.8 - 105.1%) -- 25% chance to OHKO

ANOTHER crucial thing is the lack of Life Orb recoil! LO Keldeo will always die to 252+ Return + 1 round of LO recoil, while Wide Lens Keldeo does not have to worry about that problem yet still hits harder.
Unfortunately you miss out on Scald's burn chance but that's not too terrible if you're just going to KO everything anyway :)
Wouldn't you have a much higher chance to KO with Life Orb though...? Anyway,
100% accurate hit
77% accurate slightly stronger hit
70% accurate 35% stronger hit
No idea why you would use Wide Lens here. Expert Belt would work as well if scared of LO

Electrolyte

Wouldn't Wanna Know
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Wouldn't you have a much higher chance to KO with Life Orb though...? Anyway,
100% accurate hit
77% accurate slightly stronger hit
70% accurate 35% stronger hit
No idea why you would use Wide Lens here. Expert Belt would work as well if scared of LO
No, just look at the calculations????

Also, Expert Belt is weaker than Life Orb even for SE hits, so there's no point if MK is what you're aiming to hit. Expert Belt Secret Sword never OHKOs 252/0 Mega Kang, so it is a lot worse than even Life Orb

Keldeo @ Wide Lens
Timid nature
- Hydro Pump
- Focus Blast
- Protect
- Icy Wind / Quick Guard

Damage calcs:

More:

I don't give 2 shits. I'm stealing this beautiful, amazing and wonderful shit.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)