Cradily (QC 0/3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

[OVERVIEW]

• Solid 86 / 97 / 107 bulk and access to reliable recovery make it a good special or mixed wall
  • Access to Stealth Rock, can switch in and set it up throughout the match
  • Great blanket check to a lot of stuff
  • Unique ability lets it check Water-types such as Lanturn fairly well and take Scalds for its team
  • Beats some common entry hazard removers, such as Prinplup, Sandslash, Kabutops, and Claydol
  • Also beats common entry hazard setters such as Rhydon, Carracosta, and Claydol with Giga Drain, making it a decent lead
  • Interesting typing, can check Electric-types as well as Tauros and non-PuP Kangaskhan
  • However, its typing is a double-edged sword, as it leaves Cradily open to common Fighting-type moves
  • Passive nature means that it can't do too much damage back, making it setup bait for dangerous sweepers
  • Susceptible to Taunt and status moves

[SET]
name: Defensive 'Dily
move 1: Recover
move 2: Toxic
move 3: Giga Drain
move 4: Stealth Rock / Stone Edge / Ancient Power
item: Leftovers
ability: Storm Drain
nature: Calm / Sassy
evs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
  • Recover reliably heals Cradily, not much else to say lol
  • Toxic makes up for Cradily's passive nature a bit, allowing it to wear down the opposing team
  • Giga Drain takes advantage of Cradily's ability to check Water-types, as well as hitting entry hazard setters such as Rhydon, Carracosta, and Claydol super effectively
  • Stealth Rock is the preferred option in the last moveslot, as Cradily can use its great special bulk to switch in and set up SR throughout the match
  • If you already have a Stealth Rock setter on your team, Stone Edge is a strong secondary STAB move that allows Cradily to threaten Ice-, Fire-, and Flying-type moves
  • Ancient Power is a more consistent option and significantly weaker option than Stone Edge, although it does give Cradily the benefit of being able to run a Calm nature, thus not compromising its Speed

Set Details
========

• The EVs and nature give Cradily as much special bulk as possible in order to tank hits from Pokemon such as Floatzel, Pyroar, and Lilligant
  • A Sassy nature should be used if one opts for Rock Slide so that Cradily's Attack is not lowered
  • Storm Drain turns Cradily into a decent check to the Water-types of the tier
  • Leftovers gives Cradily some passive recovery
  • A physical spread of 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA with a Bold or Relaxed nature can be used if that suits your team better

Usage Tips
========

• Try to come in on predicted Water-type moves, such as Floatzel's Hydro Pump, and from there you generally want to either set up Rocks, but you can do whatever the situation calls for
  • It can also come in on resisted Normal- and Electric-type moves from the likes of Tauros, Kangaskhan, Rotom, and Lanturn
  • Cradily can also be lead if there is a Pokemon such as Rhydon or Claydol on the opposing team that it can easily beat
  • This should be obvious, but keep Cradily away from Pokemon that commonly carry status moves, such as Mismagius, Rotom, and Granbull
  • Crippling switch-ins with Toxic can be very helpful for Cradily's team
  • Don't overestimate Cradily's bulk; it still takes a ton of damage from physical attackers and even gets 2HKOed by some neutral special attacks, such as 252+ Magmortar's Fire Blast after Stealth Rock

Team Options
========

• Cradily definitely appreciates Pokemon that can Fighting-type Pokemon, such as Garbodor, Granbull, Xatu, and Musharna. Garbodor can also set up Spikes and TSpikes, while Xatu discourages the use of status moves thanks to its ability, Magic Bounce.
  • Fire-types such as Magmortar and Flareon can deal with Steel-types, while Cradily covers Water-types in return
  • Ghost-types such as Misdreavus and Rotom can spinblock for Cradily while checking Fighting-types
  • Pokemon such as Mega Audino and Granbull can provide cleric support while being able to handle most physical attackers
  • Lanturn in particular can switch into Steel-types and stronger special attackers such as Magmortar

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

• Rocky Helmet annoys physical attackers such as Tauros and Kangaskhan, but doesn't have much use outside of this, as Cradily shouldn't be staying in on most physical attackers anyway and it generally prefers te passive recovery that Cradily provides
  • Earth Power can be used to hit Steel-types such as Klinklang, Mawile, and Pawniard
  • Mirror Coat can be used to surprise special attackers that try to wear Cradily down, but it doesn't have much room for it
  • A mono-attacking set with RestTalk, Curse, and Rock Slide could be used, but doesn't really have the raw bulk or power to pull off such a set
  • (will give strong OO mention in write-up) Weakness Policy allows Cradily to take advantage of non-STAB super effective coverage moves such as Floatzel's Ice Beam, Garbodor's Drain Punch, Swellow's U-turn, and Kangaskhan's Drain Punch. Earth Power is recommended on this set for coverage on more threats such as Garbodor, Skuntank, Mawile, Klinklang, and Pawniard.
  • Sludge Bomb is a decent surprise option and provides some coverage against Pokemon such as Tangela, Shiftry, and Mega Audino
Checks and Counters
===================

**Fighting- and Steel-types**: Steel-types such as Klinklang, Mawile, and Ferroseed can switch in without fearing anything from Cradily and fire back with a STAB move. Klinklang and Mawile can set up on it, while Ferroseed can set up hazards. Fighting-types such as Sawk, Hitmonchan, and Gurdurr are in a similar boat, though the former two don't like taking a Toxic. Gurdurr can switch in relatively freely and boost with Bulk Up.

**Setup Sweepers**: Due to its relative passivity, Cradily is setup bait for sweepers such as Mawile, Pawniard, Klinklang, Malamar, Mismagius, and Mega Audino, as well as Scyther and Vivillon if Cradily is lacking Rock Slide.

**Strong Attackers**: Pokemon such as Sawk, Primeape, Swellow, Zangoose, Zweilous, Pinsir, Bouffalant, and Magmortar can put offensive pressure on Cradily, threatening to either OHKO or 2HKO.

**Taunt Users**: Pokemon that utilize Taunt such as Archeops and Skuntank can mostly shut down Cradily, as it prevents it from recovering HP and statusing opponents.

Last edited:
Saying this is a Normal-type check is a little shaky; it checks Tauros and most Kangaskhan (though Power-Up Punch is an issue), however, it's clean OHKOed by Zangoose and is total set-up bait for Bouffalant (or gets OHKO'd by Megahorn if Choice Band). It's also not great versus Guts Swellow.

Saying this is a Normal-type check is a little shaky; it checks Tauros and most Kangaskhan (though Power-Up Punch is an issue), however, it's clean OHKOed by Zangoose and is total set-up bait for Bouffalant (or gets OHKO'd by Megahorn if Choice Band). It's also not great versus Guts Swellow.
Ah good point, I edited the Overview to reflect that

Deej Dy

Verified Ladder Scurb 乁( ◔ ౪◔)ㄏ
  • Mention as a check to Lanturn and a nice scald absorber for the team.
  • I would replace Rock Slide with either ancient power, stone edge (if you do choose to run mixed as it allows it to do a great deal more damage to flying threats and 1hko eviolite scyther), or earth power. Rock Slide is extremely underwelming on dilly.

• "Chatot and Swellow can lure in and weaken / KO Steel-types such as Mawile, Klinklang, and Ferroseed, while Cradily can deal with Rock-types in return if Chatot or Swellow are not running HP Grass."
    Don't quite understand that line? seems like a strange situation, cradillys main thing is beinga defensive presence and settign rocks so idk if weaknign steels for it to break thru is that necessary a point.
    • A mono-attacking set with RestTalk, Curse, and Rock Slide could be used, but doesn't really have the raw bulk or power to pull off such a set

Get rid of that, a weakness policy set is also extremely niche, but at least more viable than that set.

I'll look more in depth later before i QC+1 also obligatory Dentricos tag if he finds anything to say

Weakness Policy seems interesting at first, but Cradily actually can't take (m)any super effective attacks; it get OHKOed by most Fighting-types, Steel-types can just set up on it, the only relevant Bug-type atm is Scyther which can set up on it, and Ice-types like Aurorus would do enough damage for something to easily switch in and revenge kill Cradily, while a RestTalk set at least has (some) merit as a niche late-game sweeper. The only mon I could see it being useful for would be Vanilluxe, but that's it. I left out the Weakness Policy set and kept the mono-attacker for now. Otherwise, I've implemented the rest of the changes.

Weakness Policy seems interesting at first, but Cradily actually can't take (m)any super effective attacks; it get OHKOed by most Fighting-types, Steel-types can just set up on it, the only relevant Bug-type atm is Scyther which can set up on it, and Ice-types like Aurorus would do enough damage for something to easily switch in and revenge kill Cradily, while a RestTalk set at least has (some) merit as a niche late-game sweeper. The only mon I could see it being useful for would be Vanilluxe, but that's it. I left out the Weakness Policy set and kept the mono-attacker for now. Otherwise, I've implemented the rest of the changes.
As somebody who uses wp cradily it's common for special attackers to use non-stab super-effective attacks as a means to break cradily down. It won't have to live something like a jynx or a sawk for it to take advantage of the weakness policy. Examples of wp being usefull: Kanga (Drain punch/PuP), Ludicolo (Ice beam, Focus Blast), Swellow (u-turn), Mesprit (Coverage), Lanturn (Ice Beam), Mortar (Focus blast), Muk (Ice punch), Claydol (Ice beam/Signal beam), Garbodor (Drain punch), Cacturne (Drain punch), Floatzel (Ice Beam/Focus Blast), E-vire (Ice punch), Gorebyss (+2 ice beam), Regirock (Drain Punch), Liepard (u-turn), Xatu (U-Turn/Signal Beam), and random bad infestation users (had to be said).

As long as you have coverage options on the wp it's nice. Earth power is something I would put emphasis on. Hitting things like mawile, klink, pawn, skunk, and garb :D

Def add sludge bomb as a surpise option since it actually comes in handy vs common tangelas, shiftrys, audinos and is gud for just getting status out there. Not the best and a bit gimmicky but worth mentioning.

Add more focus on lanturn as a team mate since it comes in on steels and heal bells for cradily XD

Last edited:
Oh yeah that makes sense, forgot that Pokemon run U-turn and Drain Punch and other coverage moves like that :D I made the changes, anything else?

Kiyo

the cowboy kid
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
ok im not gonna look at this too much right now because i've only really played with cradily on stall recently and I think it plays differently, but i do have a few comments.

• for the record im for a weakness policy set on cradily, although i'd anticipate me being one of the few qc members who thinks so. when things like life orb samu dont ohko with ice beam, and special mesprit u-turning out it can actually be a pretty big momentum swing, although i dislike the fact that cradily can be forced out so easily when it has boosts (i'd be fine with a strong oo mention)
  • im not sure if spdef is actually the best set for cradily right now, but again this stems from me using a different set on a stall team i built.
  • i personally like physdef cradily as it beats the standard defog shiftry set with knock off and leaf storm, whereas spdef is like always 2hkoed by knock off on the switch in iirc
  • im not sure where i'd put the slashes on dily, but it like ALWAYS needs toxic, its useless without it. i suppose it fits best with giga drian, but if you have another sr setter i'd almost always put rock slide / edge / w.e in that slot.
again, only played with this thing a little bit but those are my initial thoughts. i'll let a few more qc members weigh in on wp dily getting a set (ideally i think it'd need 3 votes to get a main set unless theres heavy opposition) after we've decided on taht i'll give this a serious once over

I'm not completely opposed to the main spread being changed, although I'm not sure a physically defensive spread would suit Cradily since it's really supposed to be a check to Water-types, and running a physically defensive spread kind of compromises that. What EV spread did you use on your stall team? Also, I think Weakness Policy isn't quite worthy of a set, though I do think it should get a Set Details mention.

Ares

Fool me...can't get fooled again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
From just looking at the overview all Im currently getting is dex info. What needs to be in the overview is how Cradily currently performs in the current meta. To do that I think the set needs to be decided upon so I would go test Cradily out and come back with your findings while QC discusses it. I would also read the NU Required reading thread if you need more info on what overviews should be like.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)