Counter This Pokemon [OLD VERSION]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah I run hazards, although there are times when I don't even really need them to take it down because again Jirachi has no way of recovering outside of leftovers so that damage is sticking. A paralysis is annoying, but the shear special bulk and ability to recovery doesn't make it to much of an issue. Again you need to get really unlucky for that to happen + rocks up. I could see it happening, but again it must be really uncommon because I have terrible luck and see the thing all the time. Yeah you do need some support for it to work, that's why its not a "counter" by definition. Still a solid pokemon to use if you have the right support and need an answer to it.

Sorry about the PP comment, bit of a brain fart.

ganj4lF

Nobody is safe from the power of science!
is a Team Rater Alumnus
Was going to suggest Tyranitar, but someone already did, so...

Whimsicott @ Leftovers
Trait: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Nature: Impish
- Encore
- Leech Seed
- Substitute
- U-turn

Whimsicott can switch into any move and cripple Jirachi, forcing it out. If Jirachi uses Sub or CM on the switch, it's screwed since Whimsicott will just Encore it and U-turn on the switch to keep full momentum, or just start to annoy the switch-in with SubSeed. If Jirachi decides to just attack, Whimsicott takes pittance from both attacks (19.75% max from Thunder) and can proceed to stall Jirachi with SubSeed and/or U-turn out when it predicts a switch. Pretty rock-solid counter since, barring extreme hax, Jirachi can't do anything while Whimsicott is around.

Celebi @ Leftovers Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 224 SDef / 32 Spd
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Perish Song
- Recover

Walled hard. That is all. But slight joking aside, Jirachi's only hope is hax at all turns. ALL turns. One free turn equals screwed for it, courtesy of Perish Song, which bypasses substitute as a added bonus.

The best part, though, is that Thunder is a 4HKO guaranteed without SR...at +6 (127-149). No, I'm not joking. Provided you have another team member, you can even win against a last pokemon Jirachi, a impressive feat. Hidden Power Ice is there so you can repel Dragons away and scratch opposing Celebi and Grass types. Recover...recovers your health so you can not die, which is a pretty big deal.

I know that there already was a Celebi set posted, but I wanted to give Jirachi a massive middle finger to the face. That evil, smiling pixie deserves it.

elodin

the burger
is a Tiering Contributoris a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Past SCL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
World Defender
I still believe that the best Jirachi counter people can find out there is Gastrodon. It's immune to the most common moves on the SubCM set, doesn't mind (that much) with the paralyze and is able to take it out with Earthquake. So, since not every team is able to run Gastrodon, I think the Specially Defensive Hippowdon still works out pretty well:

Hippowdon @ Leftovers
Trait: Sand Force
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SDef / 4 Def
Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Earthquake
- Roar
- Stealth Rock
- Slack Off

Even though it gets super-effective damage from Water Pulse, it's not something to be afraid, since even in Rain is not a clean 3HKO. And when Hippowdon switchs into the battle you will take Rain out, which is awesome to strike out Thunder's accuracy. If the Jirachi gets multiple boosts or gets behind a Subs, you have the option off taking it out with Roar. If it didn't get the necessary boosts to take out Hippo, you can just deal pretty hard damage with Earthquake. The Stealth Rock is only there because it's almost a must on every Hippowdon set.

Seriously now, the only way to SubCM Jirachi (or most versions) defeat this Hippo is counting on really hard luck by getting confusions on every turn. But this way is pretty risky and most experienced players wouldn't do it. And if the Jirachi runs Psyshock > Water Pulse it's still really "easy" to handle, since Hippowdon's Defense stat is stellar.

Rotom-C @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Leaf Storm
- Thunder/Thunderbolt/Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Ice]/Volt Switch
- Trick

Rotom-C has always been a great pokemon in OU, and this is no exception, with multiple ways of screwing the pixie over on the switch in. If it decides to continually boost, Tricks locks it into Calm Mind and forces it out. If it decides to attack, the best it can do is Water Pulse, which fails to 3HKO even at +2, while Rotom can fire off Thunder. If it decides to use substitute, Thunder breaks the sub and 3HKOes it factoring in CM boosts. Now, it might not be a perfect counter, as confusion is annoying, and a bit of prediction is necessary, but same goes for the other player, and you have the inherent advantage as the opponent is always a step behind you. Trick is definitely the best way to go if Jirachi doesn't sub on the switch in.

I don't think I need to discuss Rotom-C's prowess outside of countering Jirachi much. It's one of the best scouts in the game next to its cousin Rotom-W, ruins walls and boosting sweepers with Trick, counters rain teams pretty well in general, and hits hard with Leaf Storm. Also try out the Specs and Support set, which are also excellent in OU, but don't counter Jirachi as well.

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Any Water/Ground type with Water Absorb obviously wins so I won't bother posting Quagsire, but I'll add something else to this:

Swampert @ Leftovers
Sassy Nature (+SpD, -Spe)
Torrent
240 HP/52 Def/216 SpD
-Ice Beam
-Earthquake
-Scald
-Stealth Rock

Standard OU defensive set. Here are the calcs for Water Pulse:

4 SpA Jirachi +0 Water Pulse in Rain vs 240/216+ Swampert = 52-62 (12.96 - 15.46%) 9HKO at best
4 SpA Jirachi +1 Water Pulse in Rain vs 240/216+ Swampert = 78-92 (19.45 - 22.94%) possible 6HKO after rocks
4 SpA Jirachi +2 Water Pulse in Rain vs 240/216+ Swampert = 102-122 (25.43 - 30.42%) possible 4HKO after rocks

0 Swampert Earthquake vs 252/0 Jirachi = 236-278 (58.41 - 68.81%) guaranteed 2HKO

So, Jirachi would need to be at +2, with Rain, already have a Sub up, AND use Water Pulse on the switch to even have a POSSIBLE chance to beat Swampert (not even guaranteed). Anything less than that and Swampert owns it without even breaking a sweat. Obviously confusion hax can come into play here, but even then Swampert will almost always win with HP to spare.

There's plenty more too, I'm just getting started :)

EDIT: Figured I'd edit in another counter:

Lanturn @ Leftovers
Volt Absorb
Modest Nature
40 HP/252 SpA/216 SpD
-Rain Dance
-Hydro Pump
-Ice Beam
-Volt Switch

Lanturn walls Jirachi all day, and takes advantage of the rain already being up to pummel it with Hydro Pimp. Here are some calcs going both ways:

4 SpA Jirachi +0 Water Pulse in Rain vs 40/216 Lanturn = 31-37 (7.73 - 9.22%)
4 SpA Jirachi +1 Water Pulse in Rain vs 40/216 Lanturn = 47-55 (11.72 - 13.71%)
4 SpA Jirachi +2 Water Pulse in Rain vs 40/216 Lanturn = 63-74 (15.71 - 18.45%)
4 SpA Jirachi +3 Water Pulse in Rain vs 40/216 Lanturn = 79-93 (19.7 - 23.19%)

252+ SpA Lanturn Hydro Pump in Rain vs 252/0 +0 Jirachi = 225-265 (55.69 - 65.59%)
252+ SpA Lanturn Hydro Pump in Rain vs 252/0 +1 Jirachi = 151-178 (37.37 - 44.05%)
252+ SpA Lanturn Hydro Pump in Rain vs 252/0 +2 Jirachi = 112-133 (27.72 - 32.92%)
252+ SpA Lanturn Hydro Pump in Rain vs 252/0 +3 Jirachi = 91-108 (22.52 - 26.73%)

Even at +3/+3 with a Sub, Jirachi still loses 1 v 1 to Lanturn. I think Lanturn is a hard stop to SubCM Jirachi, because anyone foolish enough to let Jirachi get 4 Calm Mind boosts deserves to lose anyway.

Thundurus-T (M) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Volt Absorb
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
- Volt Switch
- Thunder
- Grass Knot
- Hidden Power [Ice]

I only thought of this as I run it on my rain team. It can regen rock damage by switching into Thunder, and reply with Thunder of it's own. This also leaves it exempt from paralysis. This leaves only Water Pulse to do anything
26.09% - 30.77% (4 hits to KO)

Thundurus-t Thunder vs Jirachi

52.72% - 62.38% (2-3 hits to KO)

However, this pokemon isn't actually a huge great candidate for taking Jirachi, as after 1 Calm Mind Jirachi can safely handle Thundurus-t providing it isn't struck by the 30% para from Thunder.

Electrolyte

Wouldn't Wanna Know
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Dammit, I have to get here earlier.

Tangrowth @ Leftovers
252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Sassy Nature
~Earthquake
~Power Whip
~Sleep Powder
~Leech Seed

This is an unorthodox set yet an effective one nonetheless. Regenerator was a great gift for Tangrowth, and it aids in its conquest to wall Jirachi. In the rain, +0 Jirachi fails to do even 25% with Thunder, and Water Pulse never exceeds 20%. Tangrowth can reply with an EQ that is always a 3HKO.

Calcs:
4 SpA Modest Thunder- 18-22% to 252/4 Tangrowth
4 SpA Modest Water Pulse in Rain- 14-16% to 252/4 Tangrowth
4 SpA Modest Thunder at +1- 27-32% to 252/4 Tangrowth
4 SpA Modest Water Pulse in Rain at +1- 21-24% to 252/4 Tangrowth

0 Atk Neutral Earthquake- 36-43% to 252/0 neutral Jirachi

You can play mind games with Sleep Powder and Leech Seed, but just spamming EQ is the most effective strategy.

Vileman

Actually a Nice Fella
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
UPL Champion
Well ill just go ahead and suggest this guy:

Wobbuffet @leftovers
28 HP/252 Def/228 Spc Def
Bold Nature
-Mirror Coat
-Counter
-Encore
-Safeguard

The standard bulky set for wobbuffet, not very common but can mess up things, like
jirachi itself, being able to switch into the unboosted thuder for 18,56-21,96% of damage (Being a sure 4HKO, maybie a 5HKO) and an unboosted water pulse for 13,82-16,47% of damage.
Now, if it switches into a calm mind, at 1 the calcs are:
+1 spc attack Thunder: 27,84-32,76%- possibly a 3HKO
+1 spc attack Water pulse: 20,64-24,43%- possibly 5HKO

The strategy would be to get wobbu in, and just encore what raichi does. If unboosted, you can just mirror coat or encore and send something to take the hit or set up on the calm mind or subtitute. If boosted, you can overpredict and mirror coat or encore depending on what you think its going to do.
The problem with using wobbufet are a few, getting praralised- parahax could mess you up- same with confusion.
Also, you might depend on your predictions skills to use this guy, so its kind of risky to use it. But anyways you can take any hit twice at least, so you can just encore it and send something immune to the attack.

Electrolyte

Wouldn't Wanna Know
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Does a valid counter for that set need to come in on a +1 attack in the rain while Jirachi is under a Substitute?
If it can, all the better, but it's not required to. It's assumed that the opposing pokemon only has one free turn to do something- the turn you switch in your counter. However, if it can handle Rachi at +1 AND behind a sub, than that"s a great added bonus.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Lol everyone is so focused on Technician Brelloom, so this little fella got forgotten:

Brelloom @ Toxic Orb
Trait: Poison Heal
EVs: 236 HP / 212 SpD / 60 Spe
- Bulk Up
- Spore
- Drain Punch
- Seed Bomb

This set was quite popular at the BW1 era, but is forgotten right now because of Technician Breloom. The best and most viable counter for CM Jirachi with Thunder + Water Pulse coverage. Just make sure to activate Poison Heal before meeting this little bastard otherwise you will lose if he hits you with a Thunder on the switch-in. So simply Bulk Up to your heart's content and send that little bitch to hell whenever you want! Here are some calcs:

+1 Thunder: 20.93 - 24.68%
+2 Thunder: 27.81 - 32.81%
+6 Thunder: 55.62 - 65.31%

+0 Drain Punch: 25.24 - 29.95%
+1 Drain Punch: 37.87 - 44.55%
+2 Drain Punch: 50.49 - 59.4%

As you can see Jirachi will never be able to beat BU Breloom, while Breloom can either proceed to BU and become a pain for the opponent's team to take down, or just proceed to put something to sleep as they switch out with Jirachi.

Oh but it does!

Frogger (Seismitoad) (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 216 Def / 40 SDef
Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Spd)
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Rest
- Stealth Rock

As Katakiri pointed out here Seismitoad is a nifty alternative to Gastrodon. It can be used on teams, such as mine, that need the slot for Stealth Rock but need the walling capabilities of Gastrodon! Seismitoad also has physical bulk which means it check different things that Gastrodon can like Tyranitar.

I consider it better than Gastrodon because it can set up Stealth Rock as opposed to just sitting there waiting for something to force it out like Gastrodon. Seismitoad is also cool for being able to set up Stealth Rock in Rapid Spinning Starmies face!
This is exactly what I've been looking for on my team.

Rotom-C @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
- Leaf Storm
- Thunder/Thunderbolt/Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Ice]/Volt Switch
- Trick

Rotom-C has always been a great pokemon in OU, and this is no exception, with multiple ways of screwing the pixie over on the switch in. If it decides to continually boost, Tricks locks it into Calm Mind and forces it out. If it decides to attack, the best it can do is Water Pulse, which fails to 3HKO even at +2, while Rotom can fire off Thunder. If it decides to use substitute, Thunder breaks the sub and 3HKOes it factoring in CM boosts. Now, it might not be a perfect counter, as confusion is annoying, and a bit of prediction is necessary, but same goes for the other player, and you have the inherent advantage as the opponent is always a step behind you. Trick is definitely the best way to go if Jirachi doesn't sub on the switch in.
I wouldn't consider this a great counter. First of all you aren't even considering Thunder on the switch, which is actually the best thing it can do. Heck, Serene Grace Thunder is even better than some move that hits neutrally. Just like Latias, you are going to be servely crippled by Thunder. A Scarfer getting paralyzed is the absolute worse thing that can happen to one; the scarfer loses its revenge killing utility and is Choiced-locked on a move with no power boost. Essentially Jirachi can just spam Thunder while you try to switch in. Get paralyzed from that Thunder and all Jirachi has to do is use Substitute on preceeding turn to scout for what to do. You Thunder? Just switch out and enjoy that easy to wall Choice Scarf Thunder. Do anything else and Jirachi can proceed to setup upon on it.

Its only a very subpar check. Relying upon Trick in order to take out SubCM Jirachi when it can Substitute on the switch is very risky.

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Ooh ooh I has another one!

Cradily @ Leftovers
Adamant Nature
Storm Drain
252 HP/252 Atk/4 Def
-Swords Dance
-Stone Edge
-Earthquake
-Recover

This set takes care of Jirachi with ease. With an immunity to Water Pulse (and by extension confusion) granted by Storm Drain, a NVE Thunder is Jirachi's only option for damage. Here are some of the calcs at various levels of boost for Jirachi:

+0 = 41-48 (10.9 - 12.76%)
+2 = 82-96 (21.8 - 25.53%)
+4 = 122-144 (32.44 - 38.29%)
+6 = 163-192 (43.35 - 51.06%)

So, Cradily can come in at any point, Recover off any damage it takes, and proceed to Swords Dance as much as its little plant heart desires. It only needs to be at +2 to have a chance at a OHKO with Earthquake, but it should have plenty of time to get to +4 or even +6 if it wants. It's slow anyway, so it doesn't mind if it gets paralyzed. Barring massive parahax, Cradily can not only wall Jirachi but set up in its face as well.

Keep in mind also that this Cradily only has investment in HP and none in Special Defense. Any Cradily with EVs in Special Defense will wall Jirachi even harder!

tehy

Banned deucer.
Well, i deleted my previous spdef hippowdon post, but since the last one lacked sand stream...
(Hippowdon) (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 36 Def / 220 SDef
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Slack Off
- Roar

Barely takes any damage from water pulse, even when boosted. It 2hitko's if it switches in on anything but sub, it MAY 3hitko if sub from what i remember. Water pulses do little, and if it's got too many boosts, or if you predict a CM after it subs on the switch, then roar is here to save the day. Sr is to give it a purpose, and sometimes this CM rachi right here is the bait i use to set up SR on, so that works too.

I personally consider this to be a better counter than any other to CM rachi, because it's a counter to it's entire playstyle, that is to say rain. (Unless you're running a pokemon with thunder and a weak water move OUTSIDE of rain, possible but silly.)

Ground types that are immune to water get the job done 100%, but that's all they do, so consider this guy, too.

While not that effective in OU due the prevalence of ice due the prevalence of quadruple ice weaknesses, Torterra is an excellent answer to Sub CM Jirachi.

Torterra @ Leftovers
Trait: Overgrow
EVs: 216 HP / 252 Def / 40 SDef
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Seed Bomb
- Earthquake
- Leech Seed
- Roar/Stealth Rock

Jirachi does something like 27.5% - 32.2% with Water Pulse at +1 AND rain, and this one is only the physical defensive one. You can alway push the EV into SDef, for Water Pulse only takes 21.8% - 26% of your health.

It probably shouldn't come as a surprise that no sub statnds a chance against Earthquake because it does 57.9% to 68.3% damage. The only way Trollrachi can screw over it is via confusion haxing. When you feel like KOing it is pushing your luck too hard, phazing is another option for you to only have to spend one round of +1 Water Pulse, or at worst two rounds of +0 Water Pulse. Leech Seeding is always good when you "feel" like the opponent is going to switch, though it is a daring move since we actually know we are dealing with a SubJachi. I personally see it as beneficial when the opponents know that we know that they have substitutes so that they may not see that coming - at first.

Exeggutor @ Lum Berry
Trait: Harvest
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
Calm Nature
-Rest
-Sleep powder
-Hidden Power [ground]
-Psyshock

Exeggutor can literally stall out Jirachi's pp, the lum berry gives it immunity to serene grace and HP ground will break sub unless Jirachi reaches untouchable calm mind levels (which is very difficult to happen since you can sleep powder if it decides not to substitute, mind games!)

Also makes a fantastic status absorber breloom counter, amoonguss counter, keldeo counter and deals with rain in general (specs politoed is the only politoed set that can handle it).

Loves most rain abusers not called Tornadus-T lol ;P

You can fit leech seed on it somewhere to frustrate certain switch ins..

Yeah I run hazards, although there are times when I don't even really need them to take it down because again Jirachi has no way of recovering outside of leftovers so that damage is sticking. A paralysis is annoying, but the shear special bulk and ability to recovery doesn't make it to much of an issue. Again you need to get really unlucky for that to happen + rocks up. I could see it happening, but again it must be really uncommon because I have terrible luck and see the thing all the time. Yeah you do need some support for it to work, that's why its not a "counter" by definition. Still a solid pokemon to use if you have the right support and need an answer to it.

Sorry about the PP comment, bit of a brain fart.
jirachi has wish to recover hp

I wouldn't consider this a great counter. First of all you aren't even considering Thunder on the switch, which is actually the best thing it can do. Heck, Serene Grace Thunder is even better than some move that hits neutrally. Just like Latias, you are going to be servely crippled by Thunder. A Scarfer getting paralyzed is the absolute worse thing that can happen to one; the scarfer loses its revenge killing utility and is Choiced-locked on a move with no power boost. Essentially Jirachi can just spam Thunder while you try to switch in. Get paralyzed from that Thunder and all Jirachi has to do is use Substitute on preceeding turn to scout for what to do. You Thunder? Just switch out and enjoy that easy to wall Choice Scarf Thunder. Do anything else and Jirachi can proceed to setup upon on it.

Its only a very subpar check. Relying upon Trick in order to take out SubCM Jirachi when it can Substitute on the switch is very risky.
Yeah, I totally forgot about paralysis until after I finished writing it, and then I went back and edited it in without realizing how completely it screws over Rotom-C.

I guess it doesn't counter Jirachi well at all then. But it's still a good pokemon.

What could be better than this...

Parasect @Leftovers
Dry Skin
252 HP / 160 Def / 96 SpD
~Spore
~Leech Seed
~Protect / Substitute
~X-Scissor

With Dry Skin Water Pulse is doing jack and Parasect is getting some great HP recovery as well as just being pretty awesome.

And without factoring in extra protect turns:
0 +2 SpAtk Jirachi Thunder vs 252 HP/96 SpDef Parasect (+SpDef) : 25.93% - 30.56% (4-5 hits to KO)

0 Atk Parasect X-Scissor vs 252 HP/0 Def Jirachi: 20.79% - 24.5% (6-7 hits to KO)

forestflamerunner

Ain't no rest for the wicked
What could be better than this...

Parasect @Leftovers
Dry Skin
252 HP / 160 Def / 96 SpD
~Spore
~Leech Seed
~Protect / Substitute
~X-Scissor

With Dry Skin Water Pulse is doing jack and Parasect is getting some great HP recovery as well as just being pretty awesome.

And without factoring in extra protect turns:
0 +2 SpAtk Jirachi Thunder vs 252 HP/96 SpDef Parasect (+SpDef) : 25.93% - 30.56% (4-5 hits to KO)

0 Atk Parasect X-Scissor vs 252 HP/0 Def Jirachi: 20.79% - 24.5% (6-7 hits to KO)
Actually wins that battle. Yes, Parasect can sponge Jirachi's hits like a pro, but it really can't do anything back. All Jirachi would have to do is sub up and start spamming CM's until its at +6 and then starts nuking parasect with Thunder. The parahax will eventually catch up with you and Parasect will go down. So yeah, don't use parasect to handle Sub+CM Jirachi. It won't be pretty

^ Jirachi can't confuse Parasect because it's immune to Water Pulse.

Attack investment would really help that set. With 192 Attack EVs, Parasect could break Jirachi's Substitutes. Lose the Defense EV's and some SpDef for a bit more power.

192 Atk neutral Parasect X-Scissor vs 252 HP/0 Def Jirachi: 25.25% - 29.7% (5 hits to KO) Breaking sub guaranteed.

4 SpAtk +2 Jirachi Thunder vs 252 HP/36 SpDef Parasect (+SpDef) : 27.78% - 33.02%
Considering Dry Skin, that's only 15.28% - 20.52% per turn. Add Leftovers, and that's just 9.03% - 14.27% per turn. A 7-8HKO, at +2, while it can't keep a sub up, and Parasect has a Spore in queue. Jirachi would lose 1 on 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)