ORAS OU Cold Blooded Core (Mega Sceptile + Feraligatr HO)

So I wanted to build a team around my two favourite reptiles - Sceptile and Feraligatr. I believe they work great as a core because they go hand-in-hand taking hits and checking their respective threats for eachother. To boot, they also have their own unique way of boosting their attacks - Feraligatr's Sheer Force is to be reckoned with and Mega Sceptile has Lightning Rod to snatch a Special Attack boost on the switch-in. While Feraligatr can switch into an incoming Ice type move, Mega Sceptile benefits from Electric types that threaten Feraligatr and can fire off powerful special attacks in retaliation.

As for the team itself, it turned out to be general hyper offense - with the only defensive synergy relying in types, abilities and items. This somehow results in a very balanced W/L record for me - I seem to be getting neither up or down by the looks of things, so that's why I'm posting my team here! FYI, I used to mainly play the Uber and Monotype tiers, but after some experimenting I feel comfortable playing in OU, and it feels good to be able to play in the most mainstream tier in the metagame.

Sceptile @ Sceptilite
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Energy Ball
- Dragon Pulse
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Protect

Mega Sceptile is quite underrated in the OU metagame. I actually believe he works better in OU than UU, mainly due to the popular Electric, Rock, Dragon and Ground types that he can take advantage of. With the right coverage his only real weaknesses are Weavile, Mamoswine, Mega Pinsir and Talonflame - all of which are fortunately more than covered by the rest of my team.

Energy Ball is a consistent primary STAB that hits like a cannon, especially under a Lightning Rod boost. Dragon Pulse is the same albeit slightly weaker, but still able to OHKO most Dragons after Stealth Rock. HP Fire OHKOs Scizor and roasts Ferrothorn - two Pokemon that would buffer Sceptile very hard without it. Protect is used for anti-faking and general safety before Mega Evolving.

Feraligatr @ Lum Berry Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Waterfall
- Ice Punch
- Earthquake Superpower
- Dragon Dance

Feraligatr is my favourite setup sweeper as the combination of Dragon Dance + Sheer Force is simply deadly. In fact, Feraligatr's the only Pokemon that can viably use this combo which gives him plenty of credit. He also has all the coverage he needs to hit his checks.

Waterfall pummels anything that doesn't resist it very hard, especially after a dance. Originally Crunch was useful for OHKOing Lati@s, Celebi and Psychics, but in the end Ice Punch hits the former two, most Psychics barring Slowbro which are OHKOed or 2HKOed by Waterfall, and Grass types such as Serperior that may switch in on Feraligatr. Superpower allows Gatr to get past Ferrothorn - very annoying in this meta.

I have to be honest - I never liked the Life Orb. I always thought losing HP as you swept a team would just leave you suspectible to being revenge-killed by priority. However, it never struck me that Sheer Force negates LO recoil for some reason - which is interesting since it is an item and not a move. Nonetheless, Feraligatr is now truly hitting his hardest and is deadlier than ever.

Heatran @ Air Balloon
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
IVs: 0 Atk
Timid Nature
- Magma Storm
- Earth Power
- Toxic
- Taunt

While not part of the initial core, Heatran forms a very nice GFW core as a double Ice and Grass resist for Sceptile and Feraligatr respectively, as well as the ever-useful double resistance to Fairy. The team also needed a form of stallbreaking, so here he is in his offensive stallbreaker form.

Magma Storm, albeit with its shaky accuracy, is a potent stall antidote that can wear things down very quickly. Earth Power answers to opposing grounded Heatran and in some cases Fire types. The Toxic + Taunt combo is vital for any stallbreaker, and no one uses it better than Heatran who uses it in conjunction with Magma Storm to trap, taunt and wear down even the bulkiest of walls. All this is topped off by the Air Balloon which gives Heatran that very handy immunity to Ground.

Starmie @ Wise Glasses
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe / 4 Def
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Rapid Spin

I would later add a Stealth Rocker to my team, so I added Starmie as a reliable offensive spinner for my side. In the early stages this team also had a particular weakness to Fighting types - particularly Conkeldurr and Keldeo, so I needed a good Psychic type as well.

Psychic acts as STAB here, primary weapon against Fighting types and the occasional Poison type. The BoltBeam combo hits many Flying types and in Ice Beam's case OHKO's Gliscor, Garchomp and Landorus-T. Rapid Spin for essential hazard control. The Wise Glasses actually work surprisingly well on Starmie - even though its Special movepool is fantastic, it's somewhat undermined by a simple 100 base Special Attack stat. This means that it will have 299 maximum without a Modest nature. Since Starmie's Speed is an important factor on this team, it needs to be Timid, however it cannot afford to run Choice Specs (since locking yourself into Rapid Spin isn't exactly the smartest idea) and it also cannot afford to run Life Orb due its low bulk.

Bisharp @ Focus Sash
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Impish Nature
- Foul Play Thunder Wave
- Sucker Punch
- Knock Off
- Iron Head

Bisharp serves as an extra Steel type and great emergency check to various setup sweepers - thanks to a nifty little combination in the Focus Sash and Foul Play. He also serves as an offensive Fairy check and general revenge killer.

Thunder Wave + Focus Sash is a reliable combo to stop rampaging setup sweepers more reliably, particularly Mega Gyarados which is normally game over at +2. It's also very useful for luring annoying Fighting types like Keldeo and Terrakion into 2HKOing Bisharp and kissing goodbye to their 346 speed stats. Sucker Punch is mandatory priority. Knock Off puts all Eviolite users in check as well as punishing anything that switches into it by depriving them of their item. Iron Head to stab Fairies (Get it? BiSHARP? Heh...)

Rhyperior @ Leftovers
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Impish Nature
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch
- Stealth Rock

Rhyperior just works surprisingly well, and with him I've managed to climb further up into the ladder by the late 1300s. While Aerodactyl is one of my favourite team players, Rhyperior does everything Aero did 10x better. STAB EdgeQuake, a more consistent Ice type move, premier physical bulk and HP, a MUCH MORE reliable check to Talonflame - Stone Edge OHKOes even when burned and neither of Talon's STAB moves can even phaze Rhyperior, not even at +2. There just isn't any real oppurtunity cost here except being the complete opposite of fast which is the only real downside. This thing can even take Hidden Power Ice from Manectric, Thundurus and Raikou without any Special Defense investment. Talk about a tank.

Last edited:
Hiya! I like the idea behind this team, maybe a few small changes are in order though.

Sceptile doesn't really need to run Protect, it's already crazy fast to start with and the extra coverage can really help. I think it'd be best to run Earthquake over it, since it gives you a way to prevent Heatran from switching into you.

I'm not a huge fan of Earthquake on Feraligatr and would suggest running Superpower over it. The stat drops are unappealing but it gives you a way to take out Ferrothorn easily, while Earthquake doesn't really hit anything notable that the combination of Waterfall and Supwerpower don't.

Starmie really wants Life Orb with a set like that. It's frailty means it shouldn't be taking hits in the first place, so the larger damage boost that Life Orb brings is more valuable than keeping your health up with Wise Glasses.

Bisharp's set is kinda out there. Generally Bisharp can accomplish its revenge killing job through Sucker Punch, while the set you're running doesn't outrun much and doesn't really take any notable hits. Foul Play isn't really a great move for it either, since Bisharp hits so hard on in the first place. I'll post a pair of different sets you can try in it's place that should be more effective than what you're running now.

Aerodactyl seems out of place. You don't really need more Heatran and Thundurus answers, as you already have Feraligatr and Starmie for Tran and Sceptile for Thundurus. I think that Landorus-T might be a better pick here, as it's able to deal with Charizard-X and set up Rocks more reliably, while also providing some U-Turn support for your mons.

Bisharp @ BlackGlasses
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Swords Dance
- Iron Head
- Sucker Punch

Bisharp @ Assault Vest
EVs: 192 HP / 220 Atk / 96 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Iron Head
- Sucker Punch
- Pursuit / Low Kick

First set is more offensive, can provide another win condition and is better at revenge killing. The second one is a bulkier set that's more similar to the one you posted. Try em both out, use whichever one you prefer.

Landorus-Therian @ Soft Sand
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 72 HP / 252 Atk / 184 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Stone Edge
- Stealth Rock

Offensive Lando-T set, nice for putting holes in things. You could try a more defensive set but this team looks like it'd enjoy the power that Lando brings.

jay

I’m thinking bout changing the culture
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Hey Drillbreaker, nice team you've built its always nice seeing underrated threats being used in OU. Tressed covered a lot of stuff already but I believe that some changes could still be made. First off I would go with Leaf Storm over Energy Ball, energy ball sits in a weird place, it's much weaker than Leaf Storm and it isn't as useful as Giga Drain. Leaf Storm tears through anything that doesn't resist it. I agreed with Tressed that you should replace Protect with Earthquake, protect doesn't really have much of a purpose and earthquake allows you to hit all the steels that shrug HP Fire off I also believe that you should go with a Naive Nature instead of a timid one if you're going to be using EQ you might as well get as much damage off with it as you can, also Sceptile isn't going to really miss the bulk at all.

Next I would replace Feraligatr's Lum Berry with Life Orb, due to sheer force you take no recoil and still grant you the 30% damage boost, once again I agree with Tressed, Superpower instead of Earthquake is appreciated on Gatr since you destroy electric types anyways.

Next I would replace Starmie's Wise Glasses with Life Orb, like you said Starmie's Spa is very mediocre and it appreciates all the boost it can get. I would also run Hydro Pump over Psychic, this might be seem strange but Starmie honestly needs Hydro Pump since it is strongest STAB and it gives it puts a dent into most mons, and between boltbeam you are able to hit anything that psychic would hit anyways, and if theres something you can't hit the rest of your team can deal with it. Last thing on Starmie is it's ability, I would go with Analytic over Natural Cure, this allows you to punish your opponent if they switch out or attack you with a mon thats faster than you, also since this is offense you're not going to be really focusing on longevity.

Next I would replace Bisharp's set with the standard Swords Dance set, this gives your team a strong revenge killer and a wincon which offense appreciates.

Lastly I would replace Aerodactyl with bulky Garchomp, your team is weak to a lot of different physical attacks which is normal since its very offensive this allows you to weaken them considerably and allow them to be revenge killed easier. That's all the advice I can offer, hope it helps!

Sceptile @ Sceptilite
Ability: Overgrow
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Dragon Pulse
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power Fire

Feraligatr @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Ice Punch
- Superpower

Starmie @ Life Orb
Ability: Analytic
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Hydro Pump
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam

Bisharp @ Life Orb
Adamant / Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Swords Dance
- Iron Head
- Sucker Punch

Garchomp @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 240 HP / 176 Def / 92 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Dragon Tail
- Fire Blast / Toxic / Endure

tl;dr
Energy ball & Protect < Leaf Storm & EQ
Lum Berry & EQ < Life Orb & Superpower
Wise Glasses, Natural Cure & Psychic < Life Orb, Analytic & Hydro Pump
Your Set < Swords Dance Set
<

Last edited:

AD impish john

Consumed by Darkness...
Howdy, cool team you have there, but it could use a couple changes that could make it better.

I don't see a reason why to have Protect on Sceptile as it's quite fast already, just replace Protect with Earthquake as this gives you a way to hit Heatran without it walling you, to make hit stronger just replace Timid Nature with Hasty and give back Sceptile its 31 IVs in Attack. I don't really like EQ on Feraligatr as it doesn't really hit anything relevant that Waterfall can't, I would replace Earthquake with Superpower to hit Ferrothorn which is common switch in to wall Feraligatr. Here's an option is to give Feraligatr a Life Orb instead of a Lum Berry to make Gatr a hard hitting Wallbreaker/Sweeper, with Sheer Force you take no LO recoil from moves with secondary affects such as Waterfall and Ice Punch but not Superpower which you won't use too often anyway; but I do understand your reason why you are running Lum Berry. The Starmie set you are running would enjoy having a Life Orb to hit harder and have its ability changed to Analytic. Analytic is quite underrated in some occasions as when your opponent switches out it acts as if you're going last so it does %30 more damage than normal, this is also the same if you move last during the turn.

Your Bisharp set is a bit strange and I'll admit isn't going to work well with your team at all if you're using that set. To fix your set I suggest using a Swords Dance set or Pursuit Bisharp which I'll have in the Hide Tag below. SD Bisharp gives your team a strong revenge killer/sweeper/wincon which your Offensive team appreiates, or Pursuit Bisharp to help your team against Latios, Latias, or other Psychic types that are threatening to your team. Generally Bisharp runs the same moves Sucker Punch, Iron Head, and Knock Off but the last move is the move that makes the gimmick or moveset itself.

Aerodactyl seems out of place for your team and isn't very viable at all (unless you're CTC). I believe that Landorus-Therian would be a good replacement over Aerodactyl as it's able to deal with Mega Charizard X and can setup rocks more reliably, and gives the team momentum with U-Turn. I'll give you a Defensive Lando-T set for you to try out but do feel free to try out some other sets to try out. I hoped I helped, have a nice day ^_^

Final Changes
Earthquake+Hasty>Protect+Timid
Superpower>Earthquake
Life Orb+Analytic>Wise Glasses+Natural Cure
(Set)
>

Bisharp @ Life Orb/Lum Berry/BlackGlasses
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Swords Dance/Pursuit
- Iron Head
- Sucker Punch

Personally I would run BlackGlasses for Bisharp if you do decide to run Pursuit, but if you choose Swords Dance run Life Orb or Lum Berry instead.

Landorus-Therian @ Leftovers/Rocky Helmet
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 8 SpD / 8 Spe
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Stone Edge
- Stealth Rock

Leftovers is a decent way to recover back some HP, but Rocky Helmet is also a good item if you want your opponents to take damage in return.

I don't really have a rate but by these changes I see you have actually made you should just go with the changes that either of the three above your post has suggested as to be honest the changes you have there are outright terrible imho opinion and outshadowed by what they recommended you do. Sorry if I came off bitchy but w/e
Would you mind elaborating on why said choices are terrible? I have managed to reach the 1400's now after them and I'm enjoying OU better than ever. I'm not saying the recommendations are bad by any means, I'm just using what works.

You should take the suggestions from the people above, change Rhyperior for Garchomp, use the Swords Dance set on Bisharp, and Superpower on Feraligatr instead of Earthquake. If you do that your results will be a lot better than the actual ones. Also reaching 1400 ELO is not that hard for decent players. Once you get 1600 ELO you can be proud.

There's not much to be said that hasn't already been told, however i just want to make one point, if you really hate the life orb on starmie use expert belt instead it gives more power boost then wise glasses and has no recoil

Bisharp shouldnt be running thunder wave, its an attacker, not a status inducer. It doesnt have recovery or bulk to be one; but it has a high attack
Therefore I suggest running swords dance over thunder wave. If you have trouble with latias and latios you could also try pursuit to trap them.

I see a problem with mega venusaur in your team. One with earthquake, giga drain and sludge bomb has super effective moves against ALL the members of your team, and only starmie deals with it with psychic (but it cannot switch on it)

Bisharp shouldnt be running thunder wave, its an attacker, not a status inducer. It doesnt have recovery or bulk to be one; but it has a high attack
Therefore I suggest running swords dance over thunder wave. If you have trouble with latias and latios you could also try pursuit to trap them.

I see a problem with mega venusaur in your team. One with earthquake, giga drain and sludge bomb has super effective moves against ALL the members of your team, and only starmie deals with it with psychic (but it cannot switch on it)
Thanks. It's nice to hear what actually threats my team rather than mere jumps to conclusions, and I'm not ignoring the viability of certain suggestions. It would help if people could suggest in how sets work in what circumstances rather than "use this instead of this"

I use Thunder Wave on Bisharp for the surprise value and it just works - as long as you have a fast hazard controller (Starmie) then you can come in on a Dragon Dance or whatever and paralyze it as you're taken down to the sash. Then you've got Iron Head with its 30% to flinch + 30% chance of the opponent not moving = 60% chance to paraflinch. Or you could just Knock Off for extra safety measure.

• Superpower > Earthquake

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)