Hatterene @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 HP / 244 Def / 12 Spe
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Draining Kiss
- Psyshock
- Mystical Fire

Hatterene is a good check to most of the mons that counter Hydreigon, and can be a win condition in its own right if the opponent doesn't have a good check to it or said check is taken out by one of the other two sweepers. It has great synergy with Jirachi, I typically use Jirachi as a lead, if the opponent leads with their own hazard setting, I can switch or U-turn into Hatterene to take advantage of magic bounce. This usually means a free calm mind for Hatterene as they switch out, since most hazard setters can't reliably 2 hit KO it. Draining kiss keeps it healthy, and Hatterene is a frequent target of healing wish due to it's excellent coverage and magic bounce.

:ss/jirachi:
Jirachi @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 16 SpD / 240 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- U-turn
- Stealth Rock
- Healing Wish

Jirachi is the teams stealth rock setter. It sets up when possible, u-turns or switches when not, and healing wishes one the sweepers when its about to die anyways. Iron head flinch can also come in clutch against mons it out-speeds. I don't really have more to say about it. It's just a simple, reliable support mon, though I'm wondering if I should replace a teammate with a different stealth rock setter and use Jirachi's scarf set, or use a different pokemon to fill its role.

:ss/scolipede:
Scolipede @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Megahorn
- Poison Jab
- Earthquake

Scolipede is really neat and I wanted to build a team around it. I personally find it super fun to use and think it pairs decently well with Hatterene and Hydreigon. It has great coverage and an amazing ability in speed boost. Its high attack boosted by life orb means it can threaten KOs after stealth rock even without a swords dance. Getting a swords dance off often wins me the game, or at the very least costs my opponent several mons as speed boost allows it to comfortably steamroll over mons it could never safely switch into.

:ss/amoonguss:
Amoonguss @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 220 Def / 36 SpD
Bold Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Foul Play
- Spore

Amoongus is here as a sleeper and tank. I don't think it fits on the team very well and would like suggestions on what pokemon I should replace it with. Hypothetically, Amoongus comes in later in the match to sleep the main threat to its teammates, giving Scolipede or Hydreigon a chance to set up. In practice, most of my games are won or lost without its input. Sleep and regenerator are certainly helpful but Amoongus doesn't do much else for me. Its slow, has poor damage output, and most critically Amoongus's presence on the team means I have 3 poision types and 4 pokemon weak to ground. I think I should replace it but don't know what should take its spot.

:ss/hydreigon:
Hydreigon @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Nasty Plot
- Dark Pulse
- Draco Meteor
- Roost

Hydreigon got its spot on the team initially because it's one of my favourite pokemon, but has proven itself to be one of the most valuable members. It's presence alongside Scolipede and Hatterene gives the team excellent overall coverage, and its shear power can often close out a match once Hatterene or Scolipede removes the opponents check to it. Its solid bulk, useful resistances, and immunities to ground and psychic give it plenty of good switch in opportunities and makes it easy to get nasty plot or heal with roost, its STAB combo means it can hit most pokemon for high damage, and roost plus leftovers let it take advantage of its bulk to stay healthy throughout the game. This being said, I'm open to using a different set on Hydreigon if it would improve the team overall.

:ss/tentacruel:
Tentacruel @ Black Sludge
Ability: Liquid Ooze
EVs: 252 HP / 112 Def / 144 Spe
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Sludge Bomb
- Knock Off
- Rapid Spin

Tentacruel is the pokemon I'm the second most open to replacing. It's on the team for its access to rapid spin and knock off. I choose it as hazard removal over exadrill or torkoal for several reasons. the first is knock off, the second being that while exadrill or torkoal replacing tentacruel would mean that my team no longer has three poision types, it would still have four pokemon with ground weaknesses, while exadrill's addition would make for four pokemon weak to fire. In the case of Torkoal, I don't need a sun setter, though toxic might be nice to have.

TLDR: Ideally, I want to use a team with Hatterene, Scolipede, and Hydreigon as an offensive core and would like advice on the best pokemon to support them with. Amoongus in particular feels awkward to use with these teammates. Scolipede is the non-negotionable mon. Thanks in advance for the advice and constructive criticism.

Last edited:

pokemonisfun

Banned deucer.
BlueEater - sorry that you’re not getting a reply until now

a few things
  1. Your team is slow - I’m generalizing here but most bulky offense teams like yours need at least one decently fast Scarfer (minimum of Jolly Diggs to outspeed Adamant boosted Gyarados) OR moderately strong priority + a base 115 speed mon (to revenge Cobalion, Keldeo and Lycanroc and are least tie other 115s)
  2. You lack key resistances - volt switch immunity is generally considered necessary on teams that use bulky waters (Tentacruel in this case) and while you have a levitate Pokemon, UU ground moves can hit through them (Excadrill Mold Breaker EQ and Zygarde 1000 arrows) so you’re a bit weak to this
  3. Big picture: your mons have poor synergy because it’s not clear what style they are going on - Scolipede and Hydreigon sets are very hyper offense but Tentacruel and Amoonguss are bulkier balances or bulky offense mons. There are many fine ways to build teams but I strongly suggest picking a style you want early on
To remedy this, I think

1) go make this a Hyper Offense team - if you wanted to start with Scolipede as you mentioned, it fits best in HO

2) you don’t need this much hazard control with HO (you have spin and magic bounce), so perhaps slot in Inteleon over tentacruel, which fixes the speed issue and can check Zygarde/Excadrill weakness a tad. I’d consider Water Stab/ Ice Beam/ Shadow Ball with Life Orb our Expert Belt. Interested to hear with what you come up as last move

3) As you said Amoonguss might not excel here, perhaps a SD Bulu is more offensive and fits and still resists Ground? It does have poor synergy with Scolipede weakening EQ though.

4) For Hydreigon, I think a Chople Berry Fire Blast set might work to lure in Cobalion and Keldeo and fits well on HO. Recovery less important here. Sash might work too

overall your team uses solid sets but seems a bit confused in strategy, I rate it 6/10

lmk if you have questions about this

I like the Spe on hatterene the one time I ran it I did that too, for glastrier. I think drop healing wish on jirachi. Nothing here just seems strong and bulky enough to be your WinCon w/ the rescue imo. Knock off on tenta seems skippable cause 2 physical moves

Go ice beam I guess

Edit: put wrong posts here somehow deleted tho lol. They for a Convo xd

Last edited:

avarice

greedy for love
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
RoAPL Champion
Hey BlueEater sweeper Scolipede seems fun but can really struggle in a meta with Hippowdon, Scizor, Celesteela, etc. being really good. Its coverage isn't as great as it can seem on paper either. I wanted to keep the style close to the original bulky offense, however, I couldn't confidently keep all three of Scolipede Hydreigon and Hatterene. I hope you still consider these changes.

Major Changes
:tentacruel: :jirachi: -> :swampert:
Swampert @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Earthquake
- Flip Turn
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock
Swampert is rather potent at keeping rocks up and gaining momentum. Its typing and ability to pivot make it valuable on a more offensive team. Jirachi and Tentacruel just don't apply pressure well enough to work with Scolipede. Swampert is much more reliable than Jirachi and Tentacruel defensive currently too.
:hatterene: -> :diggersby: :magneton:
Diggersby @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Huge Power
Jolly Nature
- Body Slam
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Knock Off

Magneton @ Choice Specs
Ability: Magnet Pull
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Flash Cannon
- Steel Beam
Hatterene has decent utility with Magic Bounce and can be threatening for bulkier teams but its role is not very valuable here. To make the team more offensive I went with Choice Scarf Diggersby + Choice Specs Magneton. Diggersby does a solid amount of damage without a boosting item and can revenge foes while being easier to get on the field than Scolipede. Magneton removes Celesteela and Scizor which is huge for both Diggersby and Scolipede.

Minor Changes
:foongus: :deino:
Amoonguss @ Eject Button
Bold Nature
- Spore
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Foul Play

Hydreigon @ Chople Berry
Timid Nature
- Flamethrower
- Draco Meteor / Dark Pulse
- Taunt
- Roost
I made Amoonguss Eject Button to work nicely with Magneton and made Hydreigon Chople Flamethrower to lure Cobalion (used it b4 pif i swear). You could also run Defog > Taunt, but keeping offensive pressure made the team more consistent.

With multiple pivots, there are ample opportunities to trap threats to Scolipede and get a sweep going. If there are other Pokemon like Lycanroc-D that Magneton can't beat then you can go for Diggersby cleaning up. Enjoy!

Hey BlueEater sweeper Scolipede seems fun but can really struggle in a meta with Hippowdon, Scizor, Celesteela, etc. being really good. Its coverage isn't as great as it can seem on paper either. I wanted to keep the style close to the original bulky offense, however, I couldn't confidently keep all three of Scolipede Hydreigon and Hatterene. I hope you still consider these changes.

Major Changes
:tentacruel: :jirachi: -> :swampert:
Swampert @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Earthquake
- Flip Turn
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock
Swampert is rather potent at keeping rocks up and gaining momentum. Its typing and ability to pivot make it valuable on a more offensive team. Jirachi and Tentacruel just don't apply pressure well enough to work with Scolipede. Swampert is much more reliable than Jirachi and Tentacruel defensive currently too.
:hatterene: -> :diggersby: :magneton:
Diggersby @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Huge Power
Jolly Nature
- Body Slam
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Knock Off

Magneton @ Choice Specs
Ability: Magnet Pull
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Flash Cannon
- Steel Beam
Hatterene has decent utility with Magic Bounce and can be threatening for bulkier teams but its role is not very valuable here. To make the team more offensive I went with Choice Scarf Diggersby + Choice Specs Magneton. Diggersby does a solid amount of damage without a boosting item and can revenge foes while being easier to get on the field than Scolipede. Magneton removes Celesteela and Scizor which is huge for both Diggersby and Scolipede.

Minor Changes
:foongus: :deino:
Amoonguss @ Eject Button
Bold Nature
- Spore
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Foul Play

Hydreigon @ Chople Berry
Timid Nature
- Flamethrower
- Draco Meteor / Dark Pulse
- Taunt
- Roost
I made Amoonguss Eject Button to work nicely with Magneton and made Hydreigon Chople Flamethrower to lure Cobalion (used it b4 pif i swear). You could also run Defog > Taunt, but keeping offensive pressure made the team more consistent.

With multiple pivots, there are ample opportunities to trap threats to Scolipede and get a sweep going. If there are other Pokemon like Lycanroc-D that Magneton can't beat then you can go for Diggersby cleaning up. Enjoy!
Thanks so much, I'll be sure to try this out!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)