Claydol (TrickScarf Lead)

Xia

On porpoise
is a Contributor Alumnus
This set was requested by the Quality Control staff, so I've gone ahead and done the deed. The EVs may need tweaking (I just used the Supporting Lead's spread), but that's what the community is for. Also, I would love to hear if there are any other teammates or support moves that I should list, because I'm sure there are more than what I have listed here. Anyway, on to the important stuff.

http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/claydol

[SET]
name: TrickScarf Lead
move 1: Trick
move 2: Stealth Rock
move 3: Rapid Spin
move 4: Earth Power / Explosion
item: Choice Scarf
nature: Bold
evs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Claydol's versatility as a lead allows it to pull off a Trick-oriented set quite effectively. Tricking is only half the fun; deciding how to capitalize on your opponent's misfortune is the second part of this set's strategy.</p>

<p>Stealth Rock is always welcome on any team, but the two remaining moves are more dependent on the rest of your team. The moves listed are obviously the most general, since all teams enjoy Rapid Spin support and Earth Power / Explosion allows Claydol to attack after Tricking away its Choice Scarf. However, many other utility moves can be used in lieu of these moves. Claydol has access to dual screens which can come in handy on offensive teams that employ fragile sweepers and can use Toxic to shorten the life expectancy of enemy walls. No matter how you decide to use Claydol, its reliability as a team supporter cannot be ignored.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The given EV spread helps Claydol switch in against strong physical threats, like Aggron, Donphan, and Hitmonchan. However, if Claydol is using Explosion (or any other physical attack) in its moveset, use an Impish nature instead of Bold.</p>

<p>Claydol has troubles with a few other popular leads, including Alakazam, Ambipom, Mesprit (especially Trick variants), and Uxie. Luckily, all of these Pokémon can be countered by one teammate: Choice Band Spiritomb. Spiritomb has no troubles switching in against these threats and Pursuiting them as they try to switch out. Other than these leads, however, Claydol should be able to pull off its strategy without a hitch.</p>

<p>Pokémon locked into one attack make prime setup fodder. Teammates like Venusaur, Rhyperior, or other boosting Pokémon or Substitute users have no problem switching in and setting up. Be wary of switching in blindly, however; many players will switch out their Tricked Pokémon if they feel threatened. Luckily, common leads like Cloyster and Omastar will stay in and continue to lay down entry hazards, lessening the chance of a blind switch.</p>

<p>Choice-locked Pokémon are also prime candidates for Dugtrio, whose Arena Trap makes picking them off simple. The shared Water weakness between Claydol and Dugtrio should not be overlooked, however, and should be covered by the rest of your team.</p>

<p>It should be mentioned that Tricking your opponent's lead may not always be the best way to go about using Claydol; locking walls or boosting sweepers like Chansey and Swords Dance Venusaur into non-attacking moves may be just as important as setting up Stealth Rock or dual screens at the beginning of the match.</p>

[SET]
move 3: Rapid Spin / Reflect
move 4: Explosion / Light Screen
nature: Careful
evs: 252 HP / 80 Def / 176 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Claydol's versatility as a lead allows it to pull off a Trick-oriented set quite effectively. Tricking is only half the fun; deciding how to capitalize on your opponent's misfortune is the second part of this set's strategy.</p>

<p>Stealth Rock is always welcome on any team, but the two remaining moves are more dependent on the rest of your team. Offensive teams&mdash ( may i ask why this is here?);especially those that use multiple fragile sweepers&mdash( this one too);may find that dual screen support is the key factor in securing the win. Some players may find that Claydol's niche on their team is Rapid Spinning and suicide killing. Still others will combine these two strategies to get the best of both worlds. No matter how you do it, Claydol becomes an effective team supporter after ridding itself of its Choice Scarf.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Pokémon locked into one attack make prime setup fodder. Teammates like Venusaur, Rhyperior, or other boosting or Substitute-oriented Pokémon have no problem switching in and setting up. Be wary of switching in blindly, however; many players will switch out their Tricked Pokémon if they feel threatened. Luckily, common leads like Cloyster and Omastar will stay in and continue to lay down entry hazards, lessening the chance of a blind switch.</p>

<p>Choice-locked Pokémon are also prime candidates for Dugtrio, whose Arena Trap makes picking them off simple. The shared Water weakness between Claydol and Dugtrio should not be overlooked, however, and should be covered by the rest of your team.</p>

<p>It should be mentioned that Tricking your opponent's lead may not always be the best way to go about using Claydol; locking walls or boosting sweepers like Chansey and Swords Dance Venusaur into non-attacking moves may be just as important as securing Stealth Rock or dual screens at the beginning of the match.</p>

I just want to know what the &mdash means before i really proofread this

Snorlaxe

2 kawaii 4 u
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
[SET]
move 3: Rapid Spin / Reflect
move 4: Explosion / Light Screen
nature: Careful
evs: 252 HP / 80 Def / 176 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Claydol's versatility as a lead allows it to pull off a Trick-oriented [there was two spaces between "a" and "Trick-oriented, idk if it was only for me?] set quite effectively. Tricking is only half the fun; deciding how to capitalize on your opponent's misfortune is the second part of this set's strategy.</p>

<p>Stealth Rock is always welcome on any team, but the two remaining moves are more dependent on the rest of your team. Offensive teams, especially those that use multiple fragile sweepers, may find that dual screen support is the key factor in securing the win. Some players may find that Claydol's niche on their team is Rapid Spinning and suicide killing. Still others will combine these two strategies to get the best of both worlds. No matter how you do it, Claydol becomes an effective team supporter after ridding itself of its Choice Scarf.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Pokémon locked into one attack make prime setup fodder. Teammates like Venusaur, Rhyperior, or other boosting Pokemon or Substitute users have no problem switching in and setting up. Be wary of switching in blindly, however; many players will switch out their Tricked Pokémon if they feel threatened. Luckily, common leads like Cloyster and Omastar will stay in and continue to lay down entry hazards, lessening the chance of a blind switch.</p>

<p>It should be mentioned that Tricking your opponent's lead may not always be the best way to go about using Claydol; locking walls or boosting sweepers like Chansey and Swords Dance Venusaur into non-attacking moves may be just as important as setting up Stealth Rock or dual screens at the beginning of the match.</p>
Great stuff Xia, the set looks cool, and the writing is nice and concise :)

franky

aka pimpdaddyfranky, aka frankydelaghetto, aka F, aka ef
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Yeah, after Jak3 showed me this set and EVs I have to say that this makes an effective multy utility mon -- Trick, Stealth Rock, and Spin in one package is excellent. The moveset and EVs are somewhat arbitrary and I believe you should aim for this set:

[SET]
name: Trick Lead
move 2: Rapid Spin
move 3: Stealth Rock
evs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 6 SpD

This is the version I had the most success with. 252/252 is the best spread to capitalize on checking those Fighting-types and other physical threats such as Rhyperior, Donphan, and Aggron to name a few. Resistance to QuakeEdge is a blessing so I think 252/252 would be beneficial.

Earth Power ensures Claydol has something to hit after it gives away its Choice Scarf. This gives it a nice way to deal with enemy Aggron, Rhyperior, Steelix, etc. Though you can probably give Earthquake a mention if you want to hit Registeel harder, but that's not that important.

Hope you take these suggestions

I've used TrickScarf Claydol before as a lead, and it is pretty effective. There's one team option I'd like you to point out, though (if you agree with it, that is). I've used Choice Band Spiritomb along with this Claydol, as leads like Uxie, Alakazam, and Mesprit (especially Trick versions) and Ambipom are a bit troublesome to Claydol. Choice Band Spiritomb switches into these threats with impunity and can catch them on the switch-out with Pursuit. That combination is incredibly successful in my experience.

Xia

On porpoise
is a Contributor Alumnus
Added your changes, Snorlaxe, and added the content franky and Fuzznip gave me. And for the record, &mdash; is HTML code that shows up as a longer "-" (I just removed it since it didn't work with the new paragraph).

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Add in that if you're using Explosion or Earthquake you should be using Impish, not Bold.

emphasize how setup leads like cloyster/omastar can get up multiple hazards (i know you mention them a bit but you don't focus on the negative aspect)

the first paragraph suggests that you are going to give some ways to take advantage of the opponent. you should probably do so. also provide the obvious "lock into sr, spin on the switch" scenario since that is the main use of the lead.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Stealth Rock is always welcome on any team, but the two remaining moves are more dependent on the rest of your team. The moves listed are obviously the most general, since all teams enjoy Rapid Spin support and, while Earth Power /and Explosion allows Claydol to attack after Tricking away its Choice Scarf. However, many other utility moves can be used in lieu of these moves. Claydol has access to dual screens, which can come in handy on offensive teams that employ fragile sweepers and can; it can also use Toxic to shorten the life expectancy of enemy walls. No matter how you decide to use Claydol, its reliability as a team supporter cannot be ignored.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The given EV spread helps Claydol switch in against strong physical threats, like Aggron, Donphan, and Hitmonchan. However, if Claydol is using Explosion (or any other physical attack) in its moveset, use an Impish nature instead of Bold.</p>

<p>Claydol has troubles with a few other popular leads, including Alakazam, Ambipom, Mesprit (especially Trick variants), and Uxie. Luckily, all of these Pokémon can be countered by one teammate: Choice Band Spiritomb. Spiritomb has no troubles switching in against these threats and Pursuiting them as they try to switch out. Other than these leads, however, Claydol should be able to pull off its strategy without a hitch.</p>

<p>Pokémon locked into one attack make prime setup fodder. Teammates like Venusaur, Rhyperior, or other boosting Pokémon or Substitute users have no problem switching in and setting up. Be wary of switching in blindly, however; many players will switch out their Tricked Pokémon if they feel threatened. Luckily, common leads like Cloyster and Omastar will stay in and continue to lay down entry hazards, lessening the chance of a blind switch.</p>

<p>It should be mentioned that Tricking your opponent's lead may not always be the best way to go about using Claydol; locking walls or boostinglike Chansey or sweepers like Chansey and Swords Dance Venusaur into non-attacking moves may be justcan be as important as setting up Stealth Rock or dual screens at the beginning of the match.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Stealth Rock is always welcome on any team, but the two remaining moves are more dependent on the rest of your team. The moves listed are obviously the most general, since all teams enjoy Rapid Spin support, while Earth Power and Explosion allow Claydol to attack after Tricking away its Choice Scarf. However, many other utility moves can be used in lieu of these moves. Claydol has access to dual screens, which can come in handy on offensive teams that employ fragile sweepers; it can also use Toxic to shorten the life expectancy of enemy walls. No matter how you decide to use Claydol, its reliability as a team supporter cannot be ignored.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>It should be mentioned that Tricking your opponent's lead may not always be the best way to go about using Claydol; locking walls like Chansey or sweepers like Swords Dance Venusaur into non-attacking moves can be as important as setting up Stealth Rock or dual screens at the beginning of the match.</p>

GP APPROVED 1/2

emphasize how setup leads like cloyster/omastar can get up multiple hazards (i know you mention them a bit but you don't focus on the negative aspect)
I disagree with this, because you should always trick these leads first off. From then, most tend to lock themselves into Surf, so you can just switch to a water resist. If they're locked into Spikes, you can Spin them as they set up, and set up your own SR. Never usually a bad lead.

I've been running this lead and it's great, just mainly has problems with Ambipom. I've been running some speed on it, only 16 EVs outruns base 80s (useful for lead Kabutops), and a little more outruns Milotic, so you can Trick a Scarf onto it.

edit by whistle lol why did i say that rp is 100% correct

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)