VGC Cirice (Top 8 @ Tespa West)

Adamant Zoroark

catchy catchphrase
is a Contributor Alumnus

Okay, so... VGC 2016 is crazy. I mean, people complained about CHALK last year, but this metagame has even less variety.

So that's what this team's about. I'm taking a pretty standard team archetype (because let's be real, you can't really use anything else) and adding a slight twist to it. What is that? You'll see, but I'm frankly surprised this team made top cut, given... A certain 'mon choice.

Kyogre-Primal @ Blue Orb
Ability: Primordial Sea
Level: 50
EVs: 236 Def / 212 SpA / 60 Spe
Modest Nature
- Origin Pulse
- Ice Beam
- Thunder
- Protect

Obligatory Primal, basically. It doesn't seem like you can do much without a Primal, and I picked Kyogre to counter the abundance of Groudon I expected to see. I mean, there's nothing really to go into detail about with Kyogre; you know what it does. I prefer to explain the EVs.

236 Defense lives LO Mega Rayquaza's Dragon Ascent, while 60 Spe outruns Jolly Scarf Landorus-T in Tailwind. There's a big problem with this spread, though, which I overlooked and then realized at Tespa West: This Kyogre is slower than Smeargle outside of Tailwind. With a Modest Nature, I would need 236 Speed EVs to beat Smeargle, which means dropping Defense, Special Attack, or both.

Rayquaza-Mega @ Life Orb
Ability: Air Lock
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Dragon Ascent
- Extreme Speed
- Overheat
- Protect

RayOgre. Overused as all hell, but effective. Even if the opponent wants to bring out Primal Groudon to get rid of my heavy rain, I can just send out Rayquaza and let Kyogre hit it with Origin Pulse anyway. Dragon Ascent and Extreme Speed are mandatory, while I carry Overheat so I'm not completely worthless against Mega Mawile and Ferrothorn. There's... Not really a whole lot to say about this thing that hasn't already been said.

Furfrou @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Fur Coat
EVs: 252 HP / 236 Def / 20 SpD
Impish Nature
- Baby-Doll Eyes
- Protect
- Helping Hand
- Return

This is the interesting twist I talked about. Thanks to Fur Coat, Furfrou sits up there with the bulkiest walls in the game. With these stats, it has comparable physical bulk to Skarmory... if Skarmory had Intimidate.

So, what you see here is, essentially, a catch-all physical wall. Example: While Kyogre handles special P-Don excellently, it still doesn't like physical sets as Precipice Blades 2HKOes. Add Furfrou into the mix, and all of a sudden Precipice Blades no longer 2-shots thanks to Baby-Doll Eyes while, with Helping Hand support, Kyogre 2HKOes with Ice Beam. And it doesn't stop there - Mega Kangaskhan will 3HKO itself trying to take this thing out, and even then, you can just fuck its offense with Baby-Doll Eyes. Although Furfrou can't defeat Mega Mawile on its own, it still provides support against it by weakening it to where maybe other members can take it on (and Rayquaza has Overheat to handle it.) Honestly, this thing exceeded expectations by a long shot.

Crobat @ Lum Berry
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Taunt
- Tailwind
- Super Fang
- Quick Guard

Crobat here, gets in as my team's anti-Smeargle. It basically just Taunts Smeargle into oblivion and doesn't even have to worry about a Fake Out thanks to Inner Focus. Furthermore, Quick Guard and Tailwind are nice to have for blocking Fake Outs and for speed control, respectively. Unfortunately, outside of anti-Smeargle and anti-Whimsicott+Mega Gengar, Crobat doesn't seem to do much, seeing as the only thing Super Fang is ever taking out is a Sash-activated Smeargle.

Raichu @ Magnet
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Volt Tackle
- Nuzzle
- Protect

Raichu feels like this team's member that's simply way better in theory than in practice. In theory, it's great for redirecting Thunders and Thunderbolts away from Kyogre and Crobat while also providing Fake Out support and further speed control with Nuzzle (aka the untauntable Sash-breaking Thunder Wave.) The problem I have is the fact that it never seems to live very long thanks to the frailty and Volt Tackle's recoil; I don't think I've ever seen Raichu take out more than one Pokemon. Plus, the fact that it's total Groudon bait isn't really much of a help. It may be better if I went ahead and bred one with Encore, or maybe Feint for breaking opposing Protects.

Ferrothorn @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 220 Atk / 36 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Gyro Ball
- Power Whip
- Thunder Wave
- Protect

Fuck Xerneas. +2 Xerneas is no problem for this team; basically, just bring Ferrothorn and watch as Xerneas gets Gyro Balled into oblivion. Outside of that, Ferrothorn also helps against Trick Room teams and Kyogre, while also being able to provide speed control with Thunder Wave (Leech Seed didn't seem to be helping a whole lot.) Ferrothorn is basically the glue that holds this whole team together.

-------------------------

And that's how you get Furfrou into top cut. This team could use quite a lot of tweaking EV and moveset-wise (e.g. giving Kyogre enough Speed to beat Smeargle without Tailwind) but the only Pokemon I'd consider outright replacing is Raichu.

Importable:

Code:
Kyogre-Primal @ Blue Orb
EVs: 236 Def / 212 SpA / 60 Spe
Modest Nature
- Origin Pulse
- Ice Beam
- Thunder
- Protect

Rayquaza-Mega @ Life Orb
Ability: Air Lock
Shiny: Yes
Hasty Nature
- Dragon Ascent
- Extreme Speed
- Overheat
- Protect

Furfrou (M) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Fur Coat
EVs: 252 HP / 236 Def / 20 SpD
Impish Nature
- Baby-Doll Eyes
- Protect
- Helping Hand
- Return

Crobat (M) @ Lum Berry
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Taunt
- Tailwind
- Super Fang
- Quick Guard

Raichu (M) @ Magnet
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Volt Tackle
- Nuzzle
- Protect

Ferrothorn (F) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 220 Atk / 36 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Gyro Ball
- Power Whip
- Thunder Wave
- Protect

Last edited:
Brilliant team!
I'll have a go at rating this later, but for the most part it's very well built
I don't think we've ever had a vgc team in team showcase as of yet, so keep up the fantastic standard :)

btw this is a kyogre EV spread that you might be interested in:
EVs: 4 HP / 220 Def / 44 SpA / 4 SpD / 236 Spe

- Survives a dragon ascent from mega rayquaza, amongst other things
- Outspeeds smeargle
- Optimised bulk with the rest in SpA

Last edited:
sorry for the double post mods
I think the main thing i can suggest you do to improve the team, trying to take into account what you've said, is to try out running double genies over raichu/crobat:
  • Thundurus will provide the same offensive coverage as raichu as well as taunt from crobat as well as adding in the prankster ability + thunder wave (and possibly swagger). Only real downside is that thundurus doesn't do as well against scarf smeargle + quick guard. Thundurus will mean you effectively free up your next slot for either landorus-t or whatever you really want to use
  • Landorus-T will improve your matchup vs primal groudon, which means you're not forced into bringing rayquaza to every game / bringing it in too early in the game (that last point is super important). This will also give you an intimidate shuffle with U-Turn, which helps bulky stuff like kyogre / furfrou / ferrothorn etc stick around longer.
Sets:

Thundurus

Offensive

Thundurus (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 36 HP / 220 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Thunder Wave
- Taunt
- Protect / Swagger / HP [Ice]

HP stat reaches 159, the nearest life orb number (10n-1)

Defensive

Thundurus (M) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 44 Def / 4 SpA / 180 SpD / 28 Spe
Calm Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Thunder Wave
- Taunt
- Protect / Swagger / HP [Ice]

- Survives Primal Groudon's eruption
- Survives Kangaskhan's double-edge
- Has a good chance of surviving a draco meteor from 252 SpA mega rayquaza

Landorus-T

Assault Vest

Landorus-Therian @ Assault Vest
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 4 HP / 148 Atk / 92 Def / 12 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide / Rock Tomb
- U-turn
- Superpower

- Survives Primal Groudon's Eruption
- Outspeeds all max speed base 90s
- Talonflame's Brave Bird is a 3HKO
- Superpower gives you a bit more leeway against ferrothorn, as well as kangaskhan
- Rock Tomb can give you some extra speed control, since you would be losing raichu

Choice Band

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Band
Ability: Intimidate
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- U-turn
- Superpower

- Explosion isn't really that synergistic with your current team, unless you use say gengar over furfrou :/
- (Equally you could use 4 HP / 156 Atk / 92 Def / 4 SpD / 252 Spe to survive 3 Talonflame Brave Birds)

Completely up to you if you want more offensive / defensive spreads for these mons

Some other small suggestions:

Kyogre-Primal @ Blue Orb
EVs: 204 HP / 188 Def / 76 SpA / 4 SpD / 36 Spe
Modest Nature
- Thunder / Water Spout*
- Origin Pulse / Scald*
- Ice Beam
- Protect

*These moves tend to work best together, and are what the spread is optimised for, although you could equally use your original moveset
Offensive:
  • 76+ SpA Primal Kyogre Water Spout (150 BP) vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Mega Kangaskhan in Heavy Rain: 184-217 (101.6 - 119.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
  • 76+ SpA Primal Kyogre Water Spout (150 BP) vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Xerneas in Heavy Rain: 186-220 (92 - 108.9%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO
  • 76+ SpA Primal Kyogre Ice Beam vs. -1 4 HP / 0 SpD Mega Rayquaza in Strong Winds: 196-232 (108.2 - 128.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
Defensive
Physical
  • -1 252 Atk Parental Bond Mega Kangaskhan Double-Edge vs. 188 HP / 204 Def Primal Kyogre: 88-106 (44.2 - 53.2%) -- 18.2% chance to 2HKO
  • 252+ Atk Choice Band Landorus-T Explosion vs. 188 HP / 204 Def Primal Kyogre: 168-198 (84.4 - 99.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
  • -1 252 Atk Aerilate Mega Salamence Double-Edge vs. 188 HP / 204 Def Primal Kyogre: 85-102 (42.7 - 51.2%) -- 4.7% chance to 2HKO
  • 252 Atk Aerilate Mega Salamence Helping Hand Double-Edge vs. 188 HP / 204 Def Primal Kyogre: 168-198 (84.4 - 99.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
  • -1 252+ Atk Huge Power Mega Mawile Play Rough vs. 188 HP / 204 Def Primal Kyogre: 85-102 (42.7 - 51.2%) -- 4.7% chance to 2HKO
  • 252+ Atk Huge Power Mega Mawile Sucker Punch vs. 188 HP / 204 Def Primal Kyogre: 77-91 (38.6 - 45.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
  • -1 252+ Atk Huge Power Mega Mawile Sucker Punch vs. 188 HP / 204 Def Primal Kyogre: 51-61 (25.6 - 30.6%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
  • 252 Atk Life Orb Mega Rayquaza Dragon Ascent vs. 188 HP / 204 Def Primal Kyogre: 152-179 (76.3 - 89.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
  • -1 252 Atk Mega Rayquaza Dragon Ascent vs. 188 HP / 204 Def Primal Kyogre: 76-91 (38.1 - 45.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
  • 252 Atk Primal Groudon Precipice Blades vs. 188 HP / 204 Def Primal Kyogre: 87-103 (43.7 - 51.7%) -- 11.3% chance to 2HKO
  • -1 252+ Atk Choice Band Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 188 HP / 204 Def Primal Kyogre: 73-87 (36.6 - 43.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
  • -1 252+ Atk Life Orb Ho-Oh Brave Bird vs. 188 HP / 204 Def Primal Kyogre: 87-103 (43.7 - 51.7%) -- 6.3% chance to 2HKO
Special
  • +2 252 SpA Xerneas Grass Knot (120 BP) vs. 188 HP / 4 SpD Primal Kyogre: 182-216 (91.4 - 108.5%) -- 50% chance to OHKO
  • +2 252 SpA Fairy Aura Xerneas Moonblast vs. 188 HP / 4 SpD Primal Kyogre: 144-171 (72.3 - 85.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
  • 252 SpA Choice Specs Thundurus-T Thunderbolt vs. 188 HP / 4 SpD Primal Kyogre: 168-198 (84.4 - 99.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
  • 252 SpA Life Orb Dark Aura Yveltal Dark Pulse vs. 188 HP / 4 SpD Primal Kyogre: 79-95 (39.6 - 47.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
  • 252 SpA Aerilate Mega Salamence Hyper Voice vs. 188 HP / 4 SpD Primal Kyogre: 46-55 (23.1 - 27.6%) -- 70.7% chance to 4HKO
  • 252+ SpA Primal Kyogre Thunder vs. 188 HP / 4 SpD Primal Kyogre: 118-140 (59.2 - 70.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
  • 252+ SpA Primal Kyogre Water Spout (150 BP) vs. 188 HP / 4 SpD Primal Kyogre in Heavy Rain: 66-78 (33.1 - 39.1%) -- 100% chance to 3HKO
  • 252+ SpA Primal Kyogre Origin Pulse vs. 188 HP / 4 SpD Primal Kyogre in Heavy Rain: 49-58 (24.6 - 29.1%) -- 99.9% chance to 4HKO

Also i would maybe try out a jolly natured rayquaza with the same moves, as it gives you a bit more bulk for free, given this calc
0- SpA Life Orb Rayquaza Overheat vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Mega Mawile: 169-200 (107.6 - 127.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO

What does your ferrothorn spread do btw?

Hope i helped you out, and good luck with your team!

Adamant Zoroark

catchy catchphrase
is a Contributor Alumnus
I copied the Ferrothorn EV spread from the WIP analysis. I'm not entirely sure what it does, but by the time I got to Ferrothorn, I was short on time so I copied from the analysis. I could easily bump Ferrothorn's Attack EVs down to 172 (just enough to always get the OHKO on Xerneas with Gyro Ball) and put the rest in SpD, or put some in Defense if it would help with some target.

Either way, I'll be sure to try out Thundurus and Landorus brb begging a friend who has Alpha Sapphire for a Thundurus

I copied the Ferrothorn EV spread from the WIP analysis. I'm not entirely sure what it does, but by the time I got to Ferrothorn, I was short on time so I copied from the analysis. I could easily bump Ferrothorn's Attack EVs down to 172 (just enough to always get the OHKO on Xerneas with Gyro Ball) and put the rest in SpD, or put some in Defense if it would help with some target.

Either way, I'll be sure to try out Thundurus and Landorus brb begging a friend who has Alpha Sapphire for a Thundurus

252 HP / 204+ Atk / 52 SpD (or 252 HP / 204 Atk / 52+ SpD) is the 2014 spread, which OHKOes Rotom-W with Power Whip, but it does almost the same to Primal Kyogre:

204+ Atk Ferrothorn Power Whip vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Primal Kyogre: 188-224 (107.4 - 128%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Bulkier versions, however, aren't guaranteed to be OHKOed, but this can be solved with Expert Belt.

204+ Atk Ferrothorn Power Whip vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Primal Kyogre: 188-224 (90.8 - 108.2%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO

204+ Atk Expert Belt Ferrothorn Power Whip vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Primal Kyogre: 226-269 (109.1 - 129.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO

You can opt for Sassy and still get the OHKO, only with Expert Belt:

204 Atk Expert Belt Ferrothorn Power Whip vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Primal Kyogre: 209-247 (100.9 - 119.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO

204 Atk Ferrothorn Power Whip vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Primal Kyogre: 174-206 (84 - 99.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Hoped that cleared that up :D

It also OHKOes Xern btw: (204 Atk Ferrothorn Gyro Ball (150 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Xerneas: 206-246 (102.4 - 122.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO)

Adamant Zoroark

catchy catchphrase
is a Contributor Alumnus
CP from Nugget Bridge:

Me on my Nugget Bridge thread said:
I'm probably going to test Leech Seed on Ferrothorn again after reviewing a battle I had on Battle Spot from when I had Leech Seed: 38PW-WWWW-WW3R-L772

I think I mentioned this match to a few people at Tespa West, but it was against a Trick Room team with Skill Swap Bronzong + Groudon. After reviewing the video, I realized a significant help in the match came from Ferrothorn's ability to stall out Bronzong with Leech Seed, and I don't think the match would have been winnable without Leech Seed.

If it is the case that I will want Leech Seed on Ferrothorn for similar situations, Protect would probably be the move to replace on Raichu.
Context: The discussion is on ways to optimize Raichu for this team; basically the discussion is on a move like Feint or Encore on Raichu to improve its effectiveness; for example, against Smeargle leads I often lead Raichu + Crobat, which I find often provokes Smeargle into going for Spiky Shield. Feint would allow Raichu to lift the Spiky Shield and allow Crobat to Taunt it.

Hey, nice team. I noticed while I was reading that you seem to use Ferrothorn as a Xerneas counter-this is perhaps one of the worst ideas I could think of. Xerneas almost always carries Focus Blast to deal with pesky Steel types, and seeing the large usage of Ferrothorn in the current VGC meta I don't believe that there would be any exception here. Seeing as how Ferrothorn cannot deal with Xerneas your team is weak to Xerneas. Primal Kyogre gets hit by a Super-Effective Thunder, Mega Rayquaza gets hit by a Super Effective Moonblast, Furfrou gets hit very hard with Moonblast or Focus Blast, Crobat gets hit by a Super Effective Thunder and Raichu is hit hard by Moonblast. I would suggest getting rid of Crobat, seeing as how it does reasonably little for the team, and replacing it with the following set.

Aegislash @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Brave Nature
- Shadow Sneak
- Gyro Ball
- Wide Guard
- King's Shield

This set is considerably more useful in my opinion. Carrying the Weakness Policy means that it gains considerable power once hit super effectively, which allows for nuclear power that allows it to hurt anything that would hit it Super Effectively. It's high defensive stats allow it t tank many of these hits, allowing it to gain massive power and perhaps sweep. Notably, it can OHKO Xerneas post-Geomancy thanks to Gyro Ball, which hits incredibly hard. It can also absorb paralysis, as this makes it even more powerful. The only downside to this is that it does weaken your team to Primal Groudon, but thanks to Mega Rayquaza and Furfrou you shouldn't have to worry about that.
I hope what I said helped!

Hey, nice team. I noticed while I was reading that you seem to use Ferrothorn as a Xerneas counter-this is perhaps one of the worst ideas I could think of. Xerneas almost always carries Focus Blast to deal with pesky Steel types, and seeing the large usage of Ferrothorn in the current VGC meta I don't believe that there would be any exception here. Seeing as how Ferrothorn cannot deal with Xerneas your team is weak to Xerneas. Primal Kyogre gets hit by a Super-Effective Thunder, Mega Rayquaza gets hit by a Super Effective Moonblast, Furfrou gets hit very hard with Moonblast or Focus Blast, Crobat gets hit by a Super Effective Thunder and Raichu is hit hard by Moonblast. I would suggest getting rid of Crobat, seeing as how it does reasonably little for the team, and replacing it with the following set.

Brave Nature
- Shadow Sneak
- Gyro Ball
- Wide Guard
- King's Shield

This set is considerably more useful in my opinion. Carrying the Weakness Policy means that it gains considerable power once hit super effectively, which allows for nuclear power that allows it to hurt anything that would hit it Super Effectively. It's high defensive stats allow it t tank many of these hits, allowing it to gain massive power and perhaps sweep. Notably, it can OHKO Xerneas post-Geomancy thanks to Gyro Ball, which hits incredibly hard. It can also absorb paralysis, as this makes it even more powerful. The only downside to this is that it does weaken your team to Primal Groudon, but thanks to Mega Rayquaza and Furfrou you shouldn't have to worry about that.

Xerneas doesn't carry Focus Blast in VGC, it's generally a set of Dazzling Gleam/Moonblast/Protect/Geomancy. It also doesnt run Thunder either.

Also, Crobat is one of his only formes of speed control, which is essential, so getting rid of it is a bad idea.

Adamant Zoroark

catchy catchphrase
is a Contributor Alumnus

Brave Nature
- Shadow Sneak
- Gyro Ball
- Wide Guard
- King's Shield

For starters, Aegislash is kind of sucky in VGC 2016. It needs Gyro Ball to be able to beat Xerneas, which has the side effect of making it worse against literally everything else because 60 base Speed simply isn't slow enough to have an effective Gyro Ball. The only upside to Aegislash I can possibly think of is it's maybe the only thing besides Smeargle you can use for Wide Guard. Second, not only is Xerneas never seen with Focus Blast in VGC, hardly anything has ever been seen with Focus Blast in any VGC year because Focus Blast is even suckier in VGC than it is in Singles. The only attacking moves I could see Xerneas running other than Dazzling Gleam and Moonblast are Grass Knot for Kyogre and Thunderbolt for Ho-Oh and Crobat, and that's it. Focus Blast is simply way too inconsistent to be considered as a coverage option in VGC, and I daresay even any Doubles metagame.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)