SS OU Choice Band Landorus Therian Bulky Offense (Resolved)

Hey all, Neon here. This thing on? Great, so, I'm not necesscarily new to Showdown, I am however, new to Forums. So bear with me if this ends up looking tacky, but I'll give it my best shot.

Anyway, I've come here with a quick little team I've whipped up, which finally makes use of the fact Landorus posesses the most powerful earthquake in OU to function as a Wallbreaker. So without further ado, I'll pull back the curtain and reveal the thought process behind the team members.

for reference the link to the team can be found right here:

Old Version

Updated Version

1651865197756.png
1651865208526.png

LANDORUS-THERIAN
Ability: Intimidate
Item: Choice Band

Moves:
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Knock Off
- U-Turn

EVs: 4 Hp / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Nature: Adamant

This is the main event of the team, Posessing utterly monsterous physical strength, while still retaining some of Landorus' original defensive utility.
Earthquake and Stone edge are easily Landorus' most spammable options, as together they can cause some obscene damage to many common switch ins.
252+ Atk Choice Band Landorus-Therian Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Ferrothorn: 229-271 (65 - 76.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Choice Band Landorus-Therian Stone Edge vs. 248 HP / 220 Def Zapdos: 350-414 (91.3 - 108%) -- 50% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Landorus-Therian Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Slowbro: 196-232 (49.7 - 58.8%) -- 99.6% chance to 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Landorus-Therian Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Tornadus-Therian: 464-548 (128.1 - 151.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Landorus-Therian Stone Edge vs. 248 HP / 168+ Def Corviknight: 146-172 (36.5 - 43.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery (admittedly not the most impressive Calc here, but I don't think it's a ridiculous Prospect that Lando couldn't overwhelm Corv over the course of a game)
Knock Off and U-Turn are just general utility moves for forcing progress against things like Buzzwole or Corviknight, who can still switch in rather decently to both attacks. Max Speed may not be a requirement, but I wanted to at least be able to outrun Volcanion and Offensive Heatran, who could otherwise Revenge kill with Steam Eruption or severely damage Landorus with Magma Storm respectively, and the leftover bulk investment was so miniscule that it felt pretty pointless to not just go max speed investment.
I feel like "Bandorus" works here, as between its excellent defensive typing, intimidate, and good natural bulk give it many chances to switch in safely and fire off its powerful attacks with little risk. On top of that unlike other unorthadox sets, "Bandorus" isn't reliant on its surprise factor (though it still helps to let it sometimes pick up a cheeky KO early on), it still has a ludicrously high attack stat, and can still threaten a large majority of defensive cores, Ripping massive holes in unsuspecting foes for the other two Pokemon on the team to clean house!
Speaking of "other two"

1651866538528.png
image_2022-05-06_155102843.png

VOLCARONA
Ability: Flame Body
Item: Heavy-Duty Boots

EVs: 248 HP / 156 Def / 16 SpA / 88 Spe
IVs: 0 Atk
Nature: Timid

Moves:
- Quiver Dance
- Roost
- Flamethrower
- Safeguard

Just when things looked bleak, Volcarona comes to the rescue, bringing utility in checking both Buzzwole, and Corviknight lacking Brave Bird, while still being offensively threatening in its own right! With the added bonus of Flame Body detering Knock Off attempts! The given EVs let it avoid a 2HKO from Non-Band Kartana's Knock off from full, (while it doesn't like taking one, it has its uses as a last ditch effort if I'm really that backed up against a wall) and the Sp. Atk and Speed EVs both outrun and OHKO standard Buzzwole from full. Quiver Dance and Roost are the Bread and Butter of this Volcarona, letting it both keep itself healthy to check what it's supposed to, and use them as setup fodder to possibly attempt a sweep. Safeguard while mostly being for avoiding Toxic from Pokemon that may try to, can also support Landorus funnily enough as well.

1651867976376.png
1651867987931.png

KARTANA
Ability: Beast Boost
Item: Choice Scarf

EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Nature: Jolly

Moves:
- Leaf Blade
- Knock Off
- Sacred Sword
- Smart Strike

Name me a more iconic combo than Choice Scarf, and Kartana, (wait no don't actually :( ) a stellar attack stat, and good speed tier makes it an excellent scarfer for this team, revenge killing Pokemon attempting to run away with the game, and being a vital way to deal with Tapu Fini, which this team severely lacks. Pretty standard stuff in regards to Kartana, but it's nonetheless a very consistent preformer for this team.

1651868863108.png
1651868971445.png

SLOWBRO
Ability: Regenerator
Item: Colbur Berry

EVs: 248 HP / 204 Def / 56 SpD
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
Nature: Relaxed

Moves:
- Future Sight
- Body Press
- Slack Off
- Teleport

Another pretty standard set, but also pretty effective. Weavile all things considered, is fairly threatening to this team (but when is it not?) so ColburPress looks like an excellent teammate to not only provide solid pivoting and future sight support, but also luring and beating Weavile! Who otherwise gives Landorus massive Headaches. IVs attempt to make Slowbro take minimal damage from Foul Play, and have the slowest Teleport possible. EVs are to still effectively check Urshifu, while some SpD investment is put on to better scout hits from the likes of Volcanion, Tapu Lele, and Galarian Slowking.

1651869548918.png
1653918447822.png

HEATRAN
Ability: Flash Fire
Item: Air Balloon

EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

Moves:
- Magma Storm
- Earth Power
- Eruption
- Stealth Rock

Heatran is the Pokemon who can provide stealth rock support, and lure and trap kill targets like Blissey, Toxapex, and Johtonian Slowking. As for the set, no introduction needed, you all know it, you all love it, Balloon Frog. Heatran greatly appreciates the support of Future Sight from Slowbro, and Landorus acting as a great breaking parter for it, being able to wear down each other's checks with extreme ease.

1651870090189.png
1651870138199.png

CORVIKNIGHT
Ability: Pressure
Item: Rocky Helmet

EVs: 252 HP / 168 Def / 88 SpD
Nature: Impish

Moves:
- Brave Bird
- U-Turn
- Defog
- Roost

Another Pretty Standard Pokemon, but it still does its job, it can scout an attack from Band and Scarf Kartana, and potentially pivot into Volcarona on a move that isn't Knock off. As well as helping with opposing Landorus, which "Bandorus" can struggle against. As well as pressuring Melmetal and Weavile trying to go for Double Iron Bash or Triple Axel respectively, and soft Checking Tapu Lele!

THREAT LIST

1651872541938.png

NIDOKING - Even for how unbelievably fringe this thing is, Yikes, this thing tears this team a new one, granted it's not a garunteed win, as Volcarona can attempt to set up on it after a KO, it's still a big risk.

1651872649861.png

VICTINI - Another Pokemon that can potentially Shred. It can't get away with it scott free, as Kartana can potentially revenge kill with Knock Off. But it's very difficult for anything on this team to 1v1.

1651873953095.png
1651873964615.png

RAIN - Rain has an excellent Matchup here bar Slowbro, who Zapdos can easily deal with.

1651891226716.png

DRAGONITE - While not impossible, Dragonite is very annoying to keep from setting up. Many Pokemon can heavily cripple it with Knock off, Slowbro can pressure it with Future Sight, and you can play some Flame Body + Rocky Helmet Mind Games switching between Heatran and Corviknight, but it still gives this team a fairly hard time due to the best way to beat it being to Stone Edge it with Bandorus once Multiscale is broken.

CONCLUSION

Heyyyy thanks for reading through this, especially since it's my first post! Please let me know what I should change, if I missed any potential threats. Anything!
Anyway, this has been Neon, and again, thanks for sticking through this post to the end!

Attachments

Last edited:
Making a quick bump, since it's been a while, there hasn't really been much activity here, and I'd greatly appreciate anyone willing to give their thoughts! (This post was last created on May 7th)

I'm not an expert but I think flash fire is a better ability on heatran, as it gains immunity to fire, which might help kartana
Also nice rmt it looks really good

dex

Give my perception as a handle of weapon
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Very cool team! Bandorus has always been one of the more fun mons out there.

Here are my suggested edits:

:swsh/heatran:
Heatran @ Leftovers Air Balloon
Ability: Flame Body Flash Fire
EVs: 244 HP / 240 SpD / 24 Spe 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Calm Modest Nature
- Magma Storm
- Earth Power
- Taunt Eruption
- Stealth Rock

I understand that the point of Flame Body here is to punish Weavile, but you do have a whole Colbur Berry Slowbro and a Corviknight. That's more than enough insurance against Weavile. Air Balloon offensive Heatran takes great advantage of Slowbro's Future Sight support while giving you one less Pokemon Nidoking can revenge kill. It also improves your matchup into max SpA Volcarona and opposing Heatran, both of which look quite tough due to the fact that Landorus-T is offensive on this team.

Kartana @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Knock Off
- Sacred Sword
- Defog Smart Strike

While this is more of just standard stuff, Defog on kart is a huge momentum sink, which is particularly harmful for this team that gains so much from keeping momentum. Smart Strike has some potential to revenge kill Dragonite if its Multiscale gets broken, improving an otherwise unwinnable matchup if you run into Ice Punch DD Dragonite. It also gives Kartana a possible win against Tornadus-T, another Pokemon that looks tough for this team to punish.

Now, my edits do put some extra stress on the team matching up into Zapdos and Tapu Koko, so keep in mind that those will have to be played around much more carefully. Here's an updated paste: https://pokepast.es/e9214a230cead578

Very cool team! Bandorus has always been one of the more fun mons out there.

Here are my suggested edits:

:swsh/heatran:
Heatran @ Leftovers Air Balloon
Ability: Flame Body Flash Fire
EVs: 244 HP / 240 SpD / 24 Spe 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Calm Modest Nature
- Magma Storm
- Earth Power
- Taunt Eruption
- Stealth Rock

I understand that the point of Flame Body here is to punish Weavile, but you do have a whole Colbur Berry Slowbro and a Corviknight. That's more than enough insurance against Weavile. Air Balloon offensive Heatran takes great advantage of Slowbro's Future Sight support while giving you one less Pokemon Nidoking can revenge kill. It also improves your matchup into max SpA Volcarona and opposing Heatran, both of which look quite tough due to the fact that Landorus-T is offensive on this team.

Kartana @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Knock Off
- Sacred Sword
- Defog Smart Strike

While this is more of just standard stuff, Defog on kart is a huge momentum sink, which is particularly harmful for this team that gains so much from keeping momentum. Smart Strike has some potential to revenge kill Dragonite if its Multiscale gets broken, improving an otherwise unwinnable matchup if you run into Ice Punch DD Dragonite. It also gives Kartana a possible win against Tornadus-T, another Pokemon that looks tough for this team to punish.

Now, my edits do put some extra stress on the team matching up into Zapdos and Tapu Koko, so keep in mind that those will have to be played around much more carefully. Here's an updated paste: https://pokepast.es/e9214a230cead578
Hey, thanks for reaching out on this! Gonna be honest, I thought Flame Body on Heatran was a bit redundant there too, but I seem to have an OVERWHELMING Weavile paranoia whenever I teambuild lol. Balloon Frog also looked good, but I was nervous about how it would effect the team's defensive integrity if I were to forego the bulkier set.

Again thanks for the changes! Had a lot of fun building this team, and testing it out myself, but it's still good to get some advice from others more experienced just in case.

Team's got good coverage,optimized items,abilities and movesets-It's really just checking what pops up the most on ladder and making a countermeasure for it imo

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)