Pokémon Chesnaught (Revamp Occurring)

What variant of Bulk Up should I do?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not so sure that your findings are reliable if you're facing opponents that U-turn after setting up +4 attack on a Scizor.
Maybe the scisor user found out his opponent had power up punch and decided to uturn into something better suited to take down chesnaught.

Maybe the scisor user found out his opponent had power up punch and decided to uturn into something better suited to take down chesnaught.
Then I still have to ask why this opponent didn't switch out after the first Pup punch, but instead waited another turn before switching to a counter .-. It begs the question "Why did he try to set up on something he knew he couldn't kill, only to U-turn and waste a turn for no reason?"

I'm not so sure that your findings are reliable if you're facing opponents that U-turn after setting up +4 attack on a Scizor.
Then I still have to ask why this opponent didn't switch out after the first Pup punch, but instead waited another turn before switching to a counter .-. It begs the question "Why did he try to set up on something he knew he couldn't kill, only to U-turn and waste a turn for no reason?"
I can't answer that, but my point was mainly to show just how Beefy Chesnaught was. Sure Bug is no SE against him thanks to the fighting part, but I thought a STAB 4 boosted U-Turn would hurt a lot more coming from Scizor. I think he did too.

It also raises the even bigger question, "why would anyone run U-Turn on an SD set?"

Turn 1: scizor uses swords dance and user switches to chesnaught.
Turn 2: chesnaught uses leech seed and scizor uses swords dance.
Turn 3: Chesnaught uses power up punch and scizor uses ???
Turn 4: Scizor uses uturn?
But yeah, why would someone use u-turn on a swords dance scizor in the first place. probably an in game pokemon or something. The games did just come out.

Turn 1: scizor uses swords dance and user switches to chesnaught.
Turn 2: chesnaught uses leech seed and scizor uses swords dance.
Turn 3: Chesnaught uses power up punch and scizor uses ???
Turn 4: Scizor uses uturn?
But yeah, why would someone use u-turn on a swords dance scizor in the first place. probably an in game pokemon or something. The games did just come out.
That's pretty much how it happened. And yeah, games are just out, people are using their in game pokemon. Heck, I am using my In game Chesnaught with a Lax nature, haha. I just love using my starters, but if I could I would change his nature to impish and give him Bulletproof to be immune to SLudge Bomb. I hope they eventually give you a way to change to hidden abilities... But even with a Lax Nature, this guy is tough to take down.

Friend picked up a Adamant MaxAtt IV Chespin and is thinking of a physical set for it. any suggestions would be well appreciated

I've been using Assault vest Chestnaught on wifi and so far it's been doing fantastic. If it got drain punch or horn leech it would be outrageously good.
It has fantastic synergy with Cleric's like Sylveon and Florgres.

My Spread is:
Chestnaught@ Assault Vest
Adamant Nature: 252HP, 36Atk, 220Sp.def
Ability: Bulletproof
Moves: Seed Bomb, Power-Up Punch, Payback, Stone Edge

Payback gives it something to beat agislash/gengar with. Stone edge is mainly for flyer switch in's like gyarados/noivern/talonflame etc.

Could run Shadow claw over payback if you like, as ghost and dark are basically the same offensively. Payback would be better against faster targets, Shadow claw middle ground and useful against faster or slower. Some Aegislash builds may be slower, possibly. You are right though, MAN do I ever wish he got drain punch. But that's neither here nor there.

I don't know why people don't have spikes in any of the suggested movesets, seeing as it could learn via egg move.

I have tried the following with no success using a Smeargle:
Rapid Spin, Toxic Spikes, Stealth Rock, Drain Punch, Mach Punch, Close Combat, Superpower, Power Whip, Storm Throw, Focus Punch, Sucker Punch, Pursuit, Zen Headbutt, Bullet Punch.

The ones I can confirm are: Spikes, Synthesis, Rollout, and Curse

I'd appreciate if you would try out Leaf Blade, Horn Leech, and Cross Chop. I don't have access to those move for sketching.
don't know if anyone caught this , but u could run CURSE instead of bulk up, its not like chesnaught needs his speed, so it should be easy to breed it all from a smeargle onto him (spikes,curse and all else in the future)

since spikes and curse are the only egg moves that stand out, and he learns roar (Anaryta back there on pg 7 made a phaser set that should mentioned too)
moveset
adamant or def boost/speed decrease nature HP252, attack 252, 4 sp def
curse/bulk up
spiky shield/substitute
spikes/leech seed/synthesis
hammer arm/seed bomb/gyro ball

curse might not be better than bulk up but if he learns gyro ball/payback(not sure anyone tried breeding with a ferothorn) that could be another angle

also a set with more situational coverage
adamant 252 HP and 252 Atk
spiky shield
dragon claw, shadow claw, rock slide, poison jab/curse
leech seed/synthesis
hammer arm/seed bomb/curse

for walling gengar/gyradose, and also coverage/counters

phaser/setter set
adamant 252 HP and 252 Def/sp def
spikes
substitute/spiky shield/roar
leech seed/synthesis
hammer arm

don't know if anyone caught this , but u could run CURSE instead of bulk up, its not like chesnaught needs his speed, so it should be easy to breed it all from a smeargle onto him (spikes,curse and all else in the future)

since spikes and curse are the only egg moves that stand out, and he learns roar (Anaryta back there on pg 7 made a phaser set that should mentioned too)
moveset
curse/bulk up
spiky shield/substitute

curse might not be better than bulk up but if he learns gyro ball/payback(not sure anyone tried breeding with a ferothorn) that could be another angle

spiky shield
leech seed/synthesis

phaser/setter set
spikes
leech seed/synthesis
hammer arm
Gyro Ball has low PP and doesn't get STAB. Hammer Arm is better if you want to use gyro ball or run it in trick room.

moveset
curse/bulk up
spiky shield/substitute

spiky shield
leech seed/synthesis

phaser/setter set
spikes
leech seed/synthesis
hammer arm
Bulk Up is learned by level and it's also a TM. Unless you're doing trick room there's no reason to lower your speed even more. Also, a lot dragons are going to be carrying a fire move which will easily OHKO a typical Chesnaught (Or Draco Meteor, really any strong Special move that isn't resisted will kill him) and unstabbed dragon claw is pretty weak, and offers no benefit outside of the dragons you can't kill. Stone Edge would be a better alternative if you use an Assualt Vest set which is the only way he can take above average special attacks. You'd lose out on super effective coverage on Garchomp, but you could theoretically 2HKO it with Wood Hammer, but that still seems unlikely.

Gyro Ball has low PP and doesn't get STAB. Hammer Arm is better if you want to use gyro ball or run it in trick room.
I'm assuming he meant for SE coverage on fairies or for an accurate hit to flyers. Seems like an odd but noteworthy strategy.
My Chesnaught is a typical spike seed set. I have seed bomb because Jellicent outrages me. Hammer arm/PUP/Spiky Shield for the last slot, max Hp and 248 def. 4 speed and 4 attack allows to outspeed no investment other chests.
What move is recommended for my last slot?

Talonflame is powerful, but certainly not unbeatable. Chesnaught walls what it walls, and it walls it well. Chesnaught should not be trying to wall Talon. Let Stealth Rocks take it out.

I think Chesnaught is the worst out of the starter final evos. It can wall Greninja like hell and also be a good Spikes user, but it has a 4x weakness to the common flying type. Roserade would be a better spiker in OU.

I think Chesnaught is the worst out of the starter final evos. It can wall Greninja like hell and also be a good Spikes user, but it has a 4x weakness to the common flying type. Roserade would be a better spiker in OU.
He can't even wall Greninja that well thanks to Protean Ice Beam.

Breloom doesn't outclass him, he preforms an entirely different function. And Flying moves, really? They aren't the most common, at all. It is also not his job to wall things like Greninja.

All of this was discussed throughout the entire thread, so I'm surprised to see it again.

I just realized that this thing is probably the most absolute counter to Breloom that there is in the game. Bullet Seed does literally nothing to him, he has enough defenses to tank Mach Punch, and Rock Tomb is resisted. What can the standard Breloom set do to this thing, beside risk losing vital coverage by running Aerial Ace? I'm curious.

Also, just if pokemon A beats pokemon B it doesn't mean pokemon B isn't usable. Chesnaught also counters Tyranitar in almost every case but that doesn't make Tyranitar unusable. Personally, I think he will still be in UU, but will still be viable on certain teams where he can fill certain roles. He has quite a few completely unique traits to him, none that really make it perfect, but enough to be used in certain ways. Spiky Shield, Bulletproof and being the most physically bulky Grass/Fighting (which is actually a great physically defensive typing even with the flying weak, which as its been said is basically only carried by flying types themselves, easy warning).

Now, if he gets drain punch in Z, he might have a chance at OU.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)