SM OU Charizard-Mega-Y Bulky Offense

Introduction

My basic thought is to use zard-y, a very unprepared pokemon for most teams, to quickly break down opponents' cores

Teambuilding Process

Hoopa-U first came into my mind as a great Chansey/Toxapex killer (relative safe switchins) which is also a pain for most other pokemons to switch in. I later on discovered the speed disadvantage I have throughout the team and gave it scarf, trick and nasty plot to adapt to different environments. (i think two stabs are enough)

Zard-Y is the pokemon I choose to tear down most cores in the current metagame (or at least from my battle experience) due to its overwhelming fire blast which 2hko almost any pokemon not in chansey family or named toxapex. (sad thing that zard-y fails to OHKO magearna lol)

Magearna is generally a very solid pokemon with great resistance. my SG set allows it to successfully sweep against opposing teams.

Stealth rock, uturn and intimidate. Its landorus we are talking about and he should be in any team that need stealth rocker that provides momentum

Gastrodon has great typing, ability and recovery to act as a solid check of mega diancie, tapu koko without grass knot and greninja-ash, the two major threats to my team, and allows magearna to save HP for late game sweep. It is also a volt-switch stopper that is not weak to hp ice.

Last pokemon i choose is tapu koko because of its unique ability of being a defogger that can force many pokemon out(thus gaining free turn for defog). I gave it the shuca berry set so that it can kill zygarde 1 on 1, which neither charizard-y nor hoopa-u can do. the speed advantage is the major reason for me to choose tapu koko over zapdos.

The Team

Hoopa-Unbound @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Magician
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Trick
- Nasty Plot
- Psyshock
- Dark Pulse
breaks down most stall cores and take care of chansey and toxapex

Charizard-Mega-Y @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Drought
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Roost
- Solar Beam
- Focus Blast
breaks down most cores that does not prepare for it

Magearna @ Fightinium Z
Ability: Soul-Heart
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 20 Spe
- Shift Gear
- Focus Blast
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
solid setup sweeper, reliable typing for setup and good coverage for sweeping

Landorus-Therian @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- U-turn
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
Everyone know what lando does. also forms a volt-turn core.

Gastrodon @ Leftovers
Ability: Storm Drain
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Scald
- Recover
- Toxic
- Earthquake
counters most variants of mega diancie, greninja-ash and tapu koko, three major threats of the team./FONT]

Tapu Koko @ Shuca Berry
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 104 HP / 12 Def / 176 SpA / 216 Spe
Timid Nature
- Defog
- Volt Switch
- Roost
- Hidden Power [Ice]
very offensively inclined defogger, suits the tempo of this team.

Conclusion

So yeah thats my basic idea about the team, it had been very consistent against stall and aurora veil and many other teams, and i havent found teams that heavily counters my team yet. I hope i can get some good suggestions here and please, please dont remove my charizard-y from this team when suggesting changes. thats all! /FONT]

Hoopa-Unbound @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Magician
Timid Nature
- Trick
- Nasty Plot
- Psyshock
- Dark Pulse

Charizard-Mega-Y @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Drought
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Roost
- Solar Beam
- Focus Blast

Magearna @ Fightinium Z
Ability: Soul-Heart
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 20 Spe
- Shift Gear
- Focus Blast
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt

Landorus-Therian @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- U-turn
- Earthquake
- Knock Off

Gastrodon @ Leftovers
Ability: Storm Drain
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Scald
- Recover
- Toxic
- Earthquake

Tapu Koko @ Shuca Berry
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 104 HP / 12 Def / 176 SpA / 216 Spe
Timid Nature
- Defog
- Volt Switch
- Roost
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Hey QY_CS, really cool team you've got there. I generally don't use Mega Charizard Y but I agree, it can break through a lot of unprepared teams that lack Toxapex or M-Latios/M-Latias. However, M-Swampert under Rain is really scary as everything is 2HKOed by either Earthquake or Waterfall, which means even your Water resist Gastrodon can't come on it. Zygarde is also threatening in my opinion, as your check to this thing is Lando-T, which can be easily weakened throughout the game. Lastly, I think Tapu Lele is an actual threat for your team since your Magearna runs an offensive set. That means it won't be able to take on more than 2/3 hits from Lele depending on its item. Anyway, I'd like to propose some suggestions that would probably improve the team's matchup against these threats.

>
My first change is Tapu Bulu over Tapu Koko. Tapu Koko made you weaker to M-Swampert and Zygarde while just giving you more momentum with Volt Switch and removing entry hazards with Defog. On the other hand, Tapu Bulu provides you a great answer to M-Swampert as it resists both Waterfall and Earthquake, and an answer to Rain teams in general. It also provides you a great check to Zygarde, as it takes on well its Thousand Arrows, only fearing ones with Iron Tail. Lastly, Tapu Bulu can help out against Tapu Lele by removing its Psychic Terrain, as well as taking on its STABs correctly. I'm suggesting the standard set of Horn Leech / Wood Hammer / Nature's Madness / Superpower, with the Assault Vest as mentionned before. The EVs would be 248 HP / 56+ Atk / 60 SpD / 144 Spe, with an Adamant nature. With this change, you lose your Defog support which will be adressed in the next change.

>
My next change is Kartana over Hoopa-U. Choice Scarf Hoopa-U is not good at all in the tier and I just wouldn't suggest using it. Kartana, however, is a great scarfer in the tier that would provide you the speed control you need. It's able to pressure some Char Y's checks like Toxapex or Heatran with Leaf Blade and Sacred Sword respectively. Kartana would also make use of Tapu Bulu's Grassy Terrain well as it boosts its Leaf Blade, making it even harder to deal with. I'm suggesting the standard set of Leaf Blade / Sacred Sword / Knock Off / Defog with the Choice Scarf, full Atk full Spe, Jolly nature.

>
[OPTIONAL] I think you can consider Heatran over Magearna on your team. Mega Charizard Y's Sun would help Heatran a lot at breaking stuff like Gliscor and Greninja with boosted Magma Storms. Heatran could also help Char Y by trapping Toxapex, one of its best checks (it would even take less from Scald). Lastly, this change would help against Stall thanks to Magma Storm + Taunt.

Noticed I transformed Hawlucha into a threat with the lose of Tapu Koko. That's why I'd try out Defensive Z Fly Lando-T here. While you would keep its defensive utilities, Z Fly allows you to lure Hawlucha which thinks it can setup properly. It would also help out against things like Tangrowth, Mega Venusaur, and Mega Latios/Mega Latias.

Very minor change, but I'd just use Earth Power over Earthquake as the Grassy Terrain reduces its damages.

~~

Importable

That's all for my rate, good luck!

Hey QY_CS, really cool team you've got there. I generally don't use Mega Charizard Y but I agree, it can break through a lot of unprepared teams that lack Toxapex or M-Latios/M-Latias. However, M-Swampert under Rain is really scary as everything is 2HKOed by either Earthquake or Waterfall, which means even your Water resist Gastrodon can't come on it. Zygarde is also threatening in my opinion, as your check to this thing is Lando-T, which can be easily weakened throughout the game. Lastly, I think Tapu Lele is an actual threat for your team since your Magearna runs an offensive set. That means it won't be able to take on more than 2/3 hits from Lele depending on its item. Anyway, I'd like to propose some suggestions that would probably improve the team's matchup against these threats.

>
My first change is Tapu Bulu over Tapu Koko. Tapu Koko made you weaker to M-Swampert and Zygarde while just giving you more momentum with Volt Switch and removing entry hazards with Defog. On the other hand, Tapu Bulu provides you a great answer to M-Swampert as it resists both Waterfall and Earthquake, and an answer to Rain teams in general. It also provides you a great check to Zygarde, as it takes on well its Thousand Arrows, only fearing ones with Iron Tail. Lastly, Tapu Bulu can help out against Tapu Lele by removing its Psychic Terrain, as well as taking on its STABs correctly. I'm suggesting the standard set of Horn Leech / Wood Hammer / Nature's Madness / Superpower, with the Assault Vest as mentionned before. The EVs would be 248 HP / 56+ Atk / 60 SpD / 144 Spe, with an Adamant nature. With this change, you lose your Defog support which will be adressed in the next change.

>
My next change is Kartana over Hoopa-U. Choice Scarf Hoopa-U is not good at all in the tier and I just wouldn't suggest using it. Kartana, however, is a great scarfer in the tier that would provide you the speed control you need. It's able to pressure some Char Y's checks like Toxapex or Heatran with Leaf Blade and Sacred Sword respectively. Kartana would also make use of Tapu Bulu's Grassy Terrain well as it boosts its Leaf Blade, making it even harder to deal with. I'm suggesting the standard set of Leaf Blade / Sacred Sword / Knock Off / Defog with the Choice Scarf, full Atk full Spe, Jolly nature.

>
[OPTIONAL] I think you can consider Heatran over Magearna on your team. Mega Charizard Y's Sun would help Heatran a lot at breaking stuff like Gliscor and Greninja with boosted Magma Storms. Heatran could also help Char Y by trapping Toxapex, one of its best checks (it would even take less from Scald). Lastly, this change would help against Stall thanks to Magma Storm + Taunt.

Noticed I transformed Hawlucha into a threat with the lose of Tapu Koko. That's why I'd try out Defensive Z Fly Lando-T here. While you would keep its defensive utilities, Z Fly allows you to lure Hawlucha which thinks it can setup properly. It would also help out against things like Tangrowth, Mega Venusaur, and Mega Latios/Mega Latias.

Very minor change, but I'd just use Earth Power over Earthquake as the Grassy Terrain reduces its damages.

~~

Importable

That's all for my rate, good luck!
Wow thanks so much! I really like the idea of doubling up grass and fire spam as a way to break through threats! the only question I have here tho, is that scarf kartana using defog would be rather inflexible, and in addition, the loss of all pivot moves from this team stacks up and makes zard-y hard to bring in, which hurts this team quite a bit due to the necessity of offensive presence outside of grass spam... I am not sure how this situation can be dealt with. however, after seeing your changes i did came up with another idea of changing your heatran+zard-y core into similar core that is not as afraid of SR. mega houndoom seemed to be a choice where pokemon such as torkoal can also provide additional hazard control. I hope you can give your thoughts on the SR problem and maybe on the change in core as well. Thanks a lot for the help!

Wow thanks so much! I really like the idea of doubling up grass and fire spam as a way to break through threats! the only question I have here tho, is that scarf kartana using defog would be rather inflexible, and in addition, the loss of all pivot moves from this team stacks up and makes zard-y hard to bring in, which hurts this team quite a bit due to the necessity of offensive presence outside of grass spam... I am not sure how this situation can be dealt with. however, after seeing your changes i did came up with another idea of changing your heatran+zard-y core into similar core that is not as afraid of SR. mega houndoom seemed to be a choice where pokemon such as torkoal can also provide additional hazard control. I hope you can give your thoughts on the SR problem and maybe on the change in core as well. Thanks a lot for the help!
Mega Char Y can come on many things that check the grass spam core (Tang, Celesteela, Magearna etc), so you could just double switch sometimes I guess. For the SR problem, it's just kinda hard to find good defensive Defog users that pair well with Char Y. However, Scarf Kart is a really good Defogger, just try to pressure as much as possible things like Heatran and Lando-T, and click Defog only when needed.
Mega Houndoom is unviable in OU, and Torkoal is pretty bad too, don't change the actual fire spam core which works well imo.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)