Gen 3 CB Dragonite Team

Just another team I plan on using competitively to keep the advance generation alive; focused around the opener, CBDragonite.

Dragonite (F) @ Choice Band
Trait: Inner Focus
EVs: 56 HP / 252 Atk / 200 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Earthquake
- Focus Punch
- Hidden Power [Flying]
- Thunder

Focus Punch does about 48% do most max hp/no def sleep talk zapdos. 200 spd evs gives draggy 245 stat to out run those that run 244.

Gengar (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 104 HP / 216 Spd / 140 SAtk / 48 SDef
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Ice Punch
- Taunt
- Thunderbolt
- Will-O-Wisp

Gengar doesn't play much of a role save blocking rapid spin. Its evs give gengar 341 speed and 331 spatk; is that enough, or should I draw from those defensive evs?

Blissey (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 216 HP / 252 Def / 40 Spd
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Aromatherapy
- Seismic Toss
- Softboiled
- Thunder Wave

No one likes Blissey, so I won't comment on her.

Donphan (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 96 Atk / 132 Def / 28 SAtk
Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Spd)
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Rapid Spin
- Rock Slide

I can't remember which thread it was or who suggested it, but months ago, someone suggested hp electric donphan, purely as a counter to skarm. Or rather, giving donphan a move capable of breaking skarm's subs. I believe an unboosted hp fire with these evs does 28-31%.

Celebi @ Leftovers
EVs: 240 HP / 132 Def / 36 Spd / 88 SAtk / 14 SDef
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Baton Pass
- Calm Mind
- Psychic
- Recover

Another boring OU, but does the job well. Pass Calm Minds to basically anyone. Dragonite and Donphan benefit from the spdef boost but even more from the spatk boost (with thunder and hp fire as options respectively).

Skarmory (M) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 48 Atk / 192 Def / 16 Spd
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Drill Peck
- Roar
- Substitute
- Spikes

Evs give skarm 180 speed... which is nice now and then. Probably need to go to rest>sub considering I like a wish passer.

Horrible, horrible boltbeam weak. Usually have to go to Bliss and hope for para hax and a crit from seismic toss ._. Used to have Regice in place of Blissey but the team hates status so Blissey came in.

This team has done fairly well in standard OU play, but thats partly credited to some forfeiting opponents and hax.

Your Blissey has messed up speed EVs. With 40 EVs, you get 156 spd, which ties with Weezing. You want 8 more EVs for 158 spd as that will be faster than boah and be able to TWave it before it subs. Either do that or take it down to 8 EVs or so.

Speaking of boah, if it can get a sub up it will rape your team pretty badly. The only things that aren't weak to it are Dragonite and Donphan; Donphan gets 2HKOd by Crunch and Dragonite takes ~35% from Crunch, which weakens it when combined with Sandstream.

Psych Up Regice also messes with your team, especially if Blissey is weakened. DDmence also does a lot of damage, pretty much everything but Donphan gets 2HKOd after a DD. McIceGar is also problematic, with the aforementioned boltbeam and the ability to hit practically everything super effective. Suicune is also trouble. It takes virtually no damage from Nite after a CM, it can roar away Celebi, and stall Blissey out with Pressure.

Celejump doesn't have many good recipients outside of Gengar, and since you have a lack of status absorbers, I'd say go with a Heal Belling version with Leech Seed, to better support Dragonite.

I would say replace Donphan with Mixpert and possibly Skarmory with Forretress. If you get Forretress, put Roar on Mixpert. Then I would put Ice Beam over TWave on Blissey, to prevent Gengar rape. STalk Zapdos over Gengar would help out with Suicune and boah, to an extent.

Celejump doesn't have many good recipients outside of Gengar, and since you have a lack of status absorbers, I'd say go with a Heal Belling version with Leech Seed, to better support Dragonite.
If I were to give celebi a heal bell set, what would become of blissey? Or would Blissey remain and only have a free slot for a different move?

I'm hesitant on trading skarm for forry because skarm is more reliable against aero (walling hp flying's and what not). If I took skarm out, I'd have no reliable flying resist unless I do as you suggested and replace gar with zapdos, except then there would be no one to block spins. If zapdos is truly a better alternative though, I'm sure I can handle a few unblocked spins.
Oh, and echo covered the whole status-taking deal.

That's why you only use FP when you're sure he's gonna switch/not attack. Like, when a paralyzed hera is up against the CBnite, the opponent will most likely switch to either Skarm or Pert to take they HP Fly. That's when you use FP, dealing quite a bit of damage.

And no, 'lol FP suck wat if he dun switch and RS your ass LMAO' is not a good argument.

What if I do as touched said and drop donphan for bulky swampert (with roar) and drop skarm for forry? Then I'd lack a solid flying resist so I'd have to add Zapdos in place of Gengar. I'll repost that possible team asap.

EDIT: K, here's the new team

Dragonite (F) @ Choice Band
Trait: Inner Focus
EVs: 56 HP / 252 Atk / 200 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Earthquake
- Focus Punch
- Hidden Power [Flying]
- Thunder

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 60 Def / 36 Spd / 60 SAtk / 100 SDef
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Thunderbolt

Blissey (F) @ Leftovers
EVs: 216 HP / 252 Def / 40 Spd
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Aromatherapy
- Seismic Toss
- Softboiled
- Thunder Wave

Swampert (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Torrent
EVs: 240 HP / 64 Atk / 176 Def / 28 SAtk
Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Spd)
- Earthquake
- Hydro Pump
- Protect
- Roar

Celebi @ Leftovers
EVs: 240 HP / 132 Def / 36 Spd / 88 SAtk / 14 SDef
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Calm Mind
- Leech Seed
- Psychic
- Recover

Forretress (F) @ Leftovers
EVs: 244 HP / 52 Atk / 212 Def
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Hidden Power [Steel]
- Light Screen
- Rapid Spin
- Spikes

I'm not too pleased with the extrodinary number of way Overused pokes that are present, but if it'll win games, I'm all for it.

Alright, sounds good enough, cept I've found that without gar there's no one to block spin... or is that just something I'll have to deal with?

well , if you want to risk it replace celebi [dos counters pert well enough] with eggy-it learns wish , and replace bliss with clops.

Eggy hmm? so what kind of eggy? This is a similar set I found on another thread.

Exeggutor (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Chlorophyll
EVs: 212 HP / 196 Def / 4 Spd / 58 SAtk / 40 SDef
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Leech Seed
- Light Screen (maybe Protect?)
- Psychic
- Wish

And should clops stalk? or would the standard wow/fpunch/sball/painsplit set work fine?

EDIT: Ewww, I found a huge ice-weak.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)