CAPs in Uber Play

While there is no metagame for CAP outside of standard play, and the CAPmons would be far too strong for play in lower tiers, but one interesting idea I've been theory playing is Ubers with CAPs. Not all pokemon would find a niche that needs to be filled in the vastly different Uber metagame, but some would make a very interesting addition. While adding this metagame would both probably over use these created pokemon due to their exclusivity. An actual new metagame could divide interest and while unlikely, it would be a very small player base. That being said I wanted to gloss over CAP pokemon that could fare well in an Uber environment and promote discussion.

Syclant
Stealth rocks are prevalent in most D/P metagames, but slightly less so in ubers where spiking leads are more common, which he takes 50% from when using compoundeyes, not to say he can't use mountaineer however. Syclant has an incredible 120 base speed (only 12 pokemon have higher) and the strongest ice shard in the entire game. With Wobbuffett aiding set up he can more easily set up a tail glow or two on his frail defenses and sweep with ease. He also has a deadly weapon in STAB Bug Buzz to hit most of the tier for super effective damage with just those moves. His biggest fear is a Scizor carrying bullet punch, a very popular choice in Ubers play.

Colossoil
By no means as speedy as Syclant, however a scarf is not in order to kill threats by outspeeding them. Colossoil has the potential to destroy stall based teams, especially relying on toxic spikes with his ability guts. Encore also gives a free turn to the user, but would probably not see as much usage. He can use his decent base 95 speed to attack before threats like Kyogre and Dialga, or ignore speed by punishing with super effective priority moves like Sucker Punch and Ice Shard. In the tier dominated by psychics, dragons, and fliers Ice Shard and Sucker Punch provide good coverage. This can be played alongside substitute and focus punch for mind games, but can also use less expected moves such as rapid spin.

Fidgit
While not the offensive monster the previous two are he can set up field effects that could be used to a great effect in Ubers. Vital Spirit can be used against darkrai though has little utility otherwise, but in setting up Gravity for a choiced Garchomp there is no better option. The defenses are weak in terms of uber pokemon, but so long as he survives a 7 turn long trick room can be a clean sweep when every other pokemon is EV'd to outspeed.

I have not played CAP for very long, but I find it hard to believe these are the only three viable CAPmon. To illustrate my point I would love to close with few calcs but sadly I cannot do so with it not opening for me. When the problem is resolved I will more than happy to post them alongside proper movesets. Until then, I just wanted to see if this is something others would want to discuss or not. I'd be glad to play an uber team or a mixed team with one of my own.

i can see scyclant being a very good ubers wall breaker. not much in ubers resists ice or bug so it would be a pretty deadly stab combination. im thinking a mixed set with life orb and

ice beam
bug buzz
ice shard
hp fire/superpower (does he get superpower)

is pretty deadly to stallish uber teams that rely on groudon,giratina-o,forry as their stall core. Its also pretty decent against offensive teams and can take down rayquaza, weakened RP groudons and latios.

Syclant
Syclant has ... the strongest ice shard in the entire game. With Wobbuffett aiding set up he can more easily set up a tail glow or two on his frail defenses and sweep with ease.
since when is syclant stronger than weavile or mamoswine? and to be honest, i would rather set up rayquaza or something after wobbuffet encores, especially as rayquaza has an immunity and syclant doesn't.

using syclant in ubers imo is more or less the same concept as using weavile.

Fidgit
in setting up Gravity for a choiced Garchomp there is no better option.
this is actually kind of an interesting prospect...

this has come up before but never really got anywhere. people just don't play this metagame. :C

of particular interest in ubers is actually kitsunoh, ie. the best rayquaza check ever.

I thought those two had lower attack, I'm completely lost with the smogon dex being down. In either case, that thread is very interesting and I am curious if it is something that a handful of people from time to time. With both Ubers and CAP being small games the base would have to be tiny but it could still be a very fun experience.

Raj

CAP Playtesting Expert
I have used Pyroak to great affect in Ubers. However the was before we upgraded him so I'm sure he would do even better now. Also, I don't know why Rev wouldn't be able to do well, he's got the defenses to withstand Uber blows and the typing to take out big threats.

I thought any pokemon was allowed in ubers?
Thats standard Ubers, without the pokemon that the Smogon community has created, independent of GameFreak. These pokemon have been created to be used in OU. This thread is for theorymoning what they might be like if introduced into Uber play.

locopoke

Banned deucer.
This was already discussed here very thoroughly. We even made some movesets for pokemon (as you can see). This was before Colossoil though, I'm sure he would be pretty useful in Ubers.

I remember using a very sucessful Arghonaut in CaP ubers a while ago, I dont remember the EVs or anything, but the movepool was

-Bulk Up
-Aqua Jet
-Ice Punch
-Drain Punch

After a Bulk Up it was suprisingly powerful, and if Rain Dance was going it was amazingly tankish.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)